Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If this year's team couldn't leave the gym until they got 8 of 10 foul shots, some of them would need to bring their beds and pjs to the gym. They'd never leave . . .
There's plenty of room for social distance bedding.

Reaction Score
Getting back to Paige, she almost never takes a bad shot. How many times have we seen players from other teams barrel into the post and jack up a crazy shot hoping to get bailed out by a foul call? Or shooting a 3 with the shot clock winding down because they couldn't get any other shot?

I realize it's a small sample size, but she's so good with the ball and so crafty that even when she's 1 on 3, I feel like it's still a good shot because she finds a way to get herself open, and therefore IMHO, the shot is there. I literally feel like every shot she takes is going in, and I find myself slightly surprised when it doesn't! Reminds me of a more slender Sabrina in that respect.

I get why Geno wants her to be more selfish. But I also get her instincts to get her teammates involved. She needs to find a balance between bringing the ball down the court and creating her own shot every single possession, and passing up to many open shots.

I'm betting in high school, she could have averaged 50 PPG, and I'm betting inside her mind, she knows that. But to her credit, she's an incredible teammate (and passer) and she often tries to get her teammates involved, clearly in high school as well.

In 6 games she's taken 78 shots, or 13 per game. I'm betting Geno wants her to take between 18-20 per game. If she has that many open shots, can you imagine her scoring average? @MilfordHusky gave me a list of players who have averaged over 20 PPG for an entire season. Bascom 3x, Pheesa twice, and Maya/Sales/Lou once each. Hardly ever done at UCONN.

Paige may average a good number less PPG next season, but I'm betting her APG goes way up (Thank you Azzi Fudd!!)
Thanks for the stats to back up your points Eric.

I too thought PB was averaging over a dozen shots per game and now you have proven it! Not to mention, she is the PG and aside from shooting 15 plus times a game and hitting a high percentage of them, she must know when and how to get her teammates involved with GA yelling at her to keep shooting.

Not to mention playing defense, running the offense, etc etc etc.

Oh, yeah, she is only 6-7 games into her freshman year. :)

Reaction Score
While Anna appears to be receiving most of the currently justifiable negative feedback regarding her lack of 3 pointers, I am as concerned with Evina's and William's issues. Both have been very streaky as shown by Evina clanking 5+ open shots in a row during DePaul game. Hopefully this is an early season issue that will right itself once UConn gets into a more normal schedule.

Reaction Score
While Anna appears to be receiving most of the currently justifiable negative feedback regarding her lack of 3 pointers, I am as concerned with Evina's and William's issues. Both have been very streaky as shown by Evina clanking 5+ open shots in a row during DePaul game. Hopefully this is an early season issue that will right itself once UConn gets into a more normal schedule.
Yes, Anna has not been the only one. The only guard/wing (I know Anna plays the 4 but she is more of a wing to me) we have that has played consistently well has been PB.

AM, EW and CW have all struggled to consistently shoot the ball well from the outside and have also struggled to consistently play good perimeter defense. I must say that Anna was pretty good defensively in this last game however. In general, they all get beat a few times a game. Their perimeter defense must get better against good teams or Liv will be in foul trouble.

On the other hand and I don't mean to get off track here, but I just watched Stanford play and fortunately, their guards have the same issues. In addition, if we play Stanford, I doubt this will be as big a problem as Stanford guards lack quickness.

I only mention Stanford as a comparison since they will potentially be in our way to the final 4/championship and I think our weaknesses in perimeter defense will be mitigated to a large extent against them. Dealing with Jones and Belibi is another issue for another thread at another time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom