Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige | The Boneyard

Geno on 3 pt shooting... especially Paige

Reaction Score
Geno:

“Paige is a really, really, really good three point shooter. So if you have a really good 3-point shooter that won’t shoot or is thinking pass-first, that’s great provided the other guys that you’re passing it to are Klay Thompson and Steph Curry. But since they’re not available, I think she needs to shoot.”
and:
“Do I think we can be a better shooting team than we are right now? Yes. Yes. We should be. We can be. But maybe we’re not and maybe I just keep thinking we’re going to be, but maybe we’re not. I don’t know.”

From my POV, I agree that Paige needs to shoot more 3's.... and I sincerely hope that Anna will start hitting some. One problem I see is that too many of Anna's 3's are from too far beyond the arc. She needs to set up closer to the line, so when she catches and shoots, she's not 23 ft from the hoop. Williams and Westbrook probably are who they are at this point.

Maybe we need Liv to take more 3's... she's hitting 50% (1 for 2). :)

Reaction Score
as I've said before they are one long range shooter short this season................having some added outside shooting off the bench can be really important...................it sure won't be an issue next year.......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno:

“Paige is a really, really, really good three point shooter. So if you have a really good 3-point shooter that won’t shoot or is thinking pass-first, that’s great provided the other guys that you’re passing it to are Klay Thompson and Steph Curry. But since they’re not available, I think she needs to shoot.”
and:
“Do I think we can be a better shooting team than we are right now? Yes. Yes. We should be. We can be. But maybe we’re not and maybe I just keep thinking we’re going to be, but maybe we’re not. I don’t know.”

From my POV, I agree that Paige needs to shoot more 3's.... and I sincerely hope that Anna will start hitting some. One problem I see is that too many of Anna's 3's are from too far beyond the arc. She needs to set up closer to the line, so when she catches and shoots, she's not 23 ft from the hoop. Williams and Westbrook probably are who they are at this point.

Maybe we need Liv to take more 3's... she's hitting 50% (1 for 2). :)
Great post. I saw that in Geno's post game and thought the Curry/Thompson line was particularly amusing. And he's spot on of course. Paige should be an elite shooter, and she is. Anna should be good, and Christyn/Evina should be solid, and they are not. Not a single one of those 3.

So what's the answer? I know Paige has been seen in the gym after games shooting and shooting and shooting some more. Maybe it's something the other 3 should consider doing. If the other 3 aren't doing several hundred (or whatever number it should be) reps of 3-point shots DAILY, they simply won't magically get any better.

At least with Anna we know she's capable of it since she did it last year - the 2nd half. But it's not like it's something that simply can't be worked on. These kids work super hard at practice, but I think they need to do more to improve their shooting. Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
I would love to see a tripe double from Paige this season! She SO Fun to watch! Love watching the highlight reels!

Reaction Score
I would love to see a tripe double from Paige this season! She SO Fun to watch! Love watching the highlight reels!
I would love to have her first triple-double be earned against Baylor. The key would be those receiving the sharp passes having in mind, "Paige is sending me a crisp pass, so I will make this shot as soon as it is in my hands with ONLY one step!"

With that, the points and assists will not be a problem. 10 steals would be awesome, but ten rebounds is definitely in her wheelhouse, with lots of jump shots being taken by the opposition with ONO and Edwards staying within themselves and avoiding "silly fouls" which is now the positive trend!

Reaction Score
Paige has been a sharpshooter since 8th grade for open three's she is going to have to learn to catch and shoot off of screens and shooting off the dribble around screens as the good teams ramp up the defense against her. Paige is such a team player she loves to get her teammates shots so it is a little against her nature to take over a game right now being the freshmen. Geno is telling her the team needs you. It will be an ongoing evolution of Paige as a player. She was not challenged that much in High School. She will be now. Its why she came to UConn.

Reaction Score
Paige has been a sharpshooter since 8th grade for open three's she is going to have to learn to catch and shoot off of screens and shooting off the dribble around screens as the good teams ramp up the defense against her. Paige is such a team player she loves to get her teammates shots so it is a little against her nature to take over a game right now being the freshmen. Geno is telling her the team needs you. It will be an ongoing evolution of Paige as a player. She was not challenged that much in High School. She will be now. Its why she came to UConn.
Imo, Paige is determined to show her teammates thar she respects them, and that she is not full of herself. Therefore, while it helps that Geno is telling her to shoot more, what matters more is for Evina and Christyn to tell Paige that they need her to shoot more.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Paige needs to attempt more 3's. The exception is that when Buckets has the best shot, she needs to take it. If she starts forcing shots up because Geno wants more points, which the team hasn't needed so far, it may undermine her confidence in the mentality with which she has always played--pass first, shoot when necessary and/or available. I worry that Geno lacks faith in his other outside shooters (justifiably). He sees teams clogging the middle to shut down Liv because the perimeter isn't threatening. He needs to open up the court by posing a threat from everywhere. But does he currently have the players to do it? Maybe not.
Putting added pressure on a freshman is worrying--even Wonder Woman; you can see that Paige is already frustrated.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One problem I see is that too many of Anna's 3's are from too far beyond the arc. She needs to set up closer to the line, so when she catches and shoots, she's not 23 ft from the hoop.
Anna problems shooting aren't relegated to being too far from arc. She is consistently missing wide open shots from everywhere in the quarter court. Because teams are packing the lane most of the shots she's missing are uncontested. Another problem is she has an issue beating defenders off the dribble. Another issue is because of her lack of quickness she never gets enough space to shoot a pull up. Another issue is she hardly ever gets any cheap baskets on the break or from rebounds. Now, that isn't to say she's a complete offensive liability. She rebounds well and is a great passer, but to this point her putting the ball in the basket in any way has been a challenge.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Anna problems shooting aren't relegated to being too far from arc. She is consistently missing wide open shots from everywhere in the quarter court. Because teams are packing the lane most of the shots she's missing are uncontested. Another problem is she has an issue beating defenders off the dribble. Another issue is because of her lack of quickness she never gets enough space to shoot a pull up. Another issue is she hardly ever gets any cheap baskets on the break or from rebounds. Now, that isn't to say she's a complete offensive liability. She rebounds well and is a great passer, but to this point her putting the ball in the basket in any way has been a challenge.
I wonder if Geno sees it the same way? Just maybe he finds some value to her game, maybe he thinks that for the teams they have played she has been a plus for the team. Maybe he likes AE coming off the bench and being a disrupter as well bringing hustle, scoring, energy and a ball of energy. Just asking I wish you could ask him. Then we would all know.

Reaction Score
Paige should be an elite shooter, and she is. Anna should be good, and Christyn/Evina should be solid, and they are not. Not a single one of those 3.

These kids work super hard at practice, but I think they need to do more to improve their shooting. Just my $.02...

1--- Anna should be a terrific 3pt shooter too.

2-- No way is there 3 pt shooting off because they aren't working hard enough.

As an example, I recall hearing on more than 1 occasion how teams practice a lot on their free throws. Then the commentary from the tv analysts would say that the coaches would claim that they were very good ft shooters in practice but couldn't understand why they weren't in games. IMO this is the same with 3pt shooting. I can't believe as an example that Anna is throwing brick after brick in practice.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno sees it the same way? Just maybe he finds some value to her game, maybe he thinks that for the teams they have played she has been a plus for the team. Maybe he likes AE coming off the bench and being a disrupter as well bringing hustle, scoring, energy and a ball of energy. Just asking I wish you could ask him. Then we would all know.

I think he is waiting for her to start hitting shots.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think he is waiting for her to start hitting shots.
Maybe, I hope she does, her A game will be needed as the season progresses. I would still like the question put to Geno, I am having trouble trying to keep all the posters ideas in my head. Getting dizzy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
1--- Anna should be a terrific 3pt shooter too.

2-- No way is there 3 pt shooting off because they aren't working hard enough.

As an example, I recall hearing on more than 1 occasion how teams practice a lot on their free throws. Then the commentary from the tv analysts would say that the coaches would claim that they were very good ft shooters in practice but couldn't understand why they weren't in games. IMO this is the same with 3pt shooting. I can't believe as an example that Anna is throwing brick after brick in practice.
I'm not talking about in practice. 2 games ago, or so, Paige had a sub-par performance (by her standards) and immediately after the game, instead of showering and leaving, she was out (with Nika) practicing her 3-point shot.

I'm NOT saying that Christyn, Evina and Anna don't do that, but if they don't, they should. If Geno doesn't have them shooting "X" number of 3-point shots in practice, and I doubt he is, then they should be doing it on their own.

Reaction Score
With Anna I think the shots will ultimately fall, but she needs a quicker trigger. Evina was good regarding that trait. If she was open, she was getting into her shot immediately without hesitation. As the ball was coming to her she knew she was going to put it up as soon as she touched it. In Anna's case she hesitates, giving the defense time to get close. Her usage rate which is normally low anyway has been exceptionally low this year.

As the first or second best three point shooter on the team, she and Paige both need to get their attempts up and worry a little less about others. I am pretty confident in the long run the accuracy will be there. Christyn and Evina are ok 3pt options but not great shooters. You want them to shoot when they are open, but given all the things opposing coaches have to worry about, I don't think 3's from them is a big concern, but the attempts from Anna and Paige they surely want to limit.

Reaction Score
You would think a sportsreporter after a game could pose that question if they only had the opportunity??? I feel like I’ve watched all of the post game pressers and I really haven’t heard this question this way.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
You would think a sportsreporter after a game could pose that question if they only had the opportunity??? I feel like I’ve watched all of the post game pressers and I really haven’t heard this question this way.
I agree, mostly why I posed the question. Maybe they will see this and ask, or maybe they will just do their job. Curious minds want to know.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about in practice. 2 games ago, or so, Paige had a sub-par performance (by her standards) and immediately after the game, instead of showering and leaving, she was out (with Nika) practicing her 3-point shot.

I'm NOT saying that Christyn, Evina and Anna don't do that, but if they don't, they should. If Geno doesn't have them shooting "X" number of 3-point shots in practice, and I doubt he is, then they should be doing it on their own.

But you are talking "practice." After the game what she was doing was that she was "practicing." She was "practicing shooting" the same way my example stated players were "practicing "shooting" free throws. By your standard anyone that doesn't practice as long as Paige after practice or a game then they should be taken to task for not working hard enough? Where then do you draw the line of criticism? For example, if Paige could do this after a game she shoots poorly then why can't she also do it after games in which she she shoots "average" or "well?" Thus the more she does this then it could be argued the less chance she'll have the type of poor shooting for the next game and overall for the season. And do you think the media would have told you if Anna or CWill is doing extra time for example? How do we know it's not before a game to further that that some work on it? Do you think the media would tell you that one player is doing it more vs another?

And then think about next year. I assume Azzi Fudd puts a ton of time on her 3's maybe more than Paige because Paige maybe has to work more on her ballhandling to continue her excellence there. So if one works a little bit more than the other -- we're going to rip the other too?

And you don't think Geno has his guards and wings practice 3pt shots? Only free throws? If post players can practice their post moves in practice why wouldn't guards and wings practice their "catch-and-shoot" 3pt shooting in practice?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion here but I kind of hope the three-point shooting is below average all year or just even bad imagine instead of winning by 40 you win by 20 instead of 20 you win by 10 and instead of 10 you win by five instead of winning pretty you win ugly. And you have to win ugly games to win championships it shows a lot of mental toughness and character and the ability to overcome boundaries. And it also challenges the coaching staff. I hope to see more ugly wins. I mean there just aren’t enough last-second baskets to win games with Uconn. The games are always over early. As Geno said a few years back when they lost he told his players This is reality all of those back to back to back championships and the previous championships that’s fantasy this is reality losing is reality. Something like that. My favorite quote from him.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, her game does not progress to stop shooting like Kyla did last year. Kyla was so hot in the beginning of the year but after missing a few here and there she just stopped shooting and then Anna took her starting job. I think Aubrey and Anna are in that place mentally. The team leaders have to help and encourage their teammates to score. We need them both.

Reaction Score

Unpopular opinion here but I kind of hope the three-point shooting is below average all year or just even bad imagine instead of winning by 40 you win by 20 instead of 20 you win by 10 and instead of 10 you win by five instead of winning pretty you win ugly. And you have to win ugly games to win championships it shows a lot of mental toughness and character and the ability to overcome boundaries. And it also challenges the coaching staff. I hope to see more ugly wins. I mean there just aren’t enough last-second baskets to win games with Uconn. The games are always over early. As Geno said a few years back when they lost he told his players This is reality all of those back to back to back championships and the previous championships that’s fantasy this is reality losing is reality. Something like that. My favorite quote from him.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are rooting to watch bad fundamental basketball just so you could watch a closer game.

Well for me I'm more of a wcbb than men because of the opposite of what you want to see. I love the power teams and would much rather watch a a great precision high scoring fun game from great players performing at a high level rather than a watered down of poor fundamentals just so the score can be close.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are rooting to watch bad fundamental basketball just so you could watch a closer game.

Well for me I'm more of a wcbb than men because of the opposite of what you want to see. I love the power teams and would much rather watch a a great precision high scoring fun game from great players performing at a high level rather than a watered down of poor fundamentals just so the score can be close.
Yes, best when both teams play close to their potential. Just watch the Depaul game again, for me it was like watching two teams slugging thru knee deep sand in the first half. As you I would much rather watch two well oiled machines throw haymaker shots giving us something to really get excited about, obviously with a win for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
MooseJaw-Me too on your above post!
I hate blow-out games and really enjoyed the DePaul game! Yelling at the TV a lot! I think we saw the whole team contribute in all different ways even if at times it was not pretty!
Can’t wait until Baylor!

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Paige needs to attempt more 3's. The exception is that when Buckets has the best shot, she needs to take it. If she starts forcing shots up because Geno wants more points, which the team hasn't needed so far, it may undermine her confidence in the mentality with which she has always played--pass first, shoot when necessary and/or available. I worry that Geno lacks faith in his other outside shooters (justifiably). He sees teams clogging the middle to shut down Liv because the perimeter isn't threatening. He needs to open up the court by posing a threat from everywhere. But does he currently have the players to do it? Maybe not.
Putting added pressure on a freshman is worrying--even Wonder Woman; you can see that Paige is already frustrated.
I can't agree more husky! The last game, I thought she forced a couple of shots. I really didn't see many times where she gave up shots and she took 15, more than anybody else.

I just think GA is ensuring that when we play a top 5 team, that she doesn't hesitate to shoot first and pass second assuming she has the open shot. He's afraid she will defer to teammates since she is a freshman. I think Geno would rather tell her she has taken poor shots than tell her she hasn't taken enough.

On the other hand, she is the point guard so she needs to get others involved and through the first several games, especially the last one, I don't really see her passing up many shots.

I just think Geno wants to ensure she takes all shots when she is open in down the road games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom