Geno Not About to Apologize for the Victory Margins | The Boneyard

Geno Not About to Apologize for the Victory Margins

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great read. I think he must have read the orange boards in the past because his line about the complaints of "Some record or classy coach was a popular refrain as it is on many nights..." Another one in relation to his winning % was "cupcake schedule".

It's just a matter of time before he's commonly acknowledged as the greatest of all time. I think even his most ardent detractors will acknowledge that he's accomplished a ton with many #1 statistics that stand alone in the record books (Most NC's, best winning %, fastest to 900 wins, etc).

"It is not my fault that it is not getting done at other places," Auriemma said. "I am not condemning anybody, I am not bragging, I am saying we are going to keep doing what we are doing, we are not going to stop. If there is some coach out there that hears this, sees this and says I am going to beat their (butts), we need more of that but I not going stop setting the bar and in fact I am going to try to keep raising the bar I don't want to stop setting the bar and it is up to everybody else to try to get there."

Loved the line about continuing to raise the bar. His passion still burns indeed. I think 95% of the other coaches and most other fans out there get it. We constantly hear/read things (not nearly as eloquently as what was written by Sherri Coale) who appreciate seeing a UCONN practice, or are thrilled when UCONN comes to town, even knowing their team will likely lose by 50+.

I fervently hope UCONN is out of the conference sooner rather than later, but the BE was awful for many years, and even with ND and RU there were years where almost every BE game was a blowout. I don't have great hopes for the conference, but I do see glimmers of light - I do think USF, Tulane, Temple and Tulsa all have the chance to be somewhere between decent to fairly good. I hope ECU and UCF start to get some better recruits because I think their coaches are on the right track. We are stuck in this conference for the near future - so i certainly hope the other teams lift themselves as much as they can.

Last thing - in a recent Geno show he was asked about people coming to him for his opinion on how to improve their programs etc etc. Geno surprised me by saying that he gets asked that all the time, but more often than not, the other coaches don't like what he has to say and only want to hear about it if what Geno says is what those coaches think as well. It's mystifying that any coach whose team is under .500 wouldn't soak up Geno's advice and do everything they can to emulate what UCONN does... I wonder which coaches are trying to emulate him and which ones have chosen to ignore everything...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great read. ...

"It is not my fault that it is not getting done at other places," Auriemma said. "I am not condemning anybody, I am not bragging, I am saying we are going to keep doing what we are doing, we are not going to stop. If there is some coach out there that hears this, sees this and says I am going to beat their (butts), we need more of that but I not going stop setting the bar and in fact I am going to try to keep raising the bar I don't want to stop setting the bar and it is up to everybody else to try to get there."
It's mystifying that any coach whose team is under .500 wouldn't soak up Geno's advice and do everything they can to emulate what UCONN does... I wonder which coaches are trying to emulate him and which ones have chosen to ignore everything...
Geno has two former assistants who have seen the process first hand and are struggling to replicate it. It's not easy and requires much that's not in the coaches control.

Regarding the quote, it is interesting how different it 'feels' written as opposed to to watching him say it. In reality it was much softer and introspective but it print it is 'vintage Geno' (or at least how the public likes to perceive him) full of piss and vinegar.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Reminds of the NBA "Golden Age" back in the 1980s and 1990s (or 1960s) when teams sometimes did win by 50 to 60 points because certain teams just had a lot more talent back before the modern rules helped to create far more parity so even tanking teams like the Knicks usually keep things respectable on the score board.

Even if as many wish UConn got invited into the B10 or ACC, the 60 point wins would still happen, so the burden is on the other schools to raise their game and for school administrations to provide resources for their WCBB teams to greatly improve. And in many other sports the competing coaches are all trying to thinks of a new wrinkle to give their team an edge over the other top teams. Unfortunately, too often in the WCBB it's just a narrow-thinking coach just telling her players to crash the boards, get fouled in the paint, or flop if someone with a ball is near you.

Reaction Score
Geno has two former assistants who have seen the process first hand and are struggling to replicate it. It's not easy and requires much that's not in the coaches control.

Regarding the quote, it is interesting how different it 'feels' written as opposed to to watching him say it. In reality it was much softer and introspective but it print it is 'vintage Geno' (or at least how the public likes to perceive him) full of piss and vinegar.
Sticking a wooden spoon inside someone and stirring their soul may be a skill that just requires you to be.... Geno. ?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno said something somewhat controversial on the newest Geno Show. I'm paraphrasing, but basically he told CD that he secretly hoped that this team would lose a game so that he could get their attention. (Obviously, this thought was before the season started.) He seemed reluctant to say this, but he did say it.

Please feel free to let me know if I misinterpreted what he said.....

Reaction Score
Geno said something somewhat controversial on the newest Geno Show. I'm paraphrasing, but basically he told CD that he secretly hoped that this team would lose a game so that he could get their attention. (Obviously, this thought was before the season started.) He seemed reluctant to say this, but he did say it.

Please feel free to let me know if I misinterpreted what he said.....
He has said that several times before in (or at the end of) various winning streaks in past years.

Reaction Score
I liked when he called out that one reporter asking him if he were a blogger!

Reaction Score
I liked when he called out that one reporter asking him if he were a blogger!

I could be wrong but I think he was poking fun at Rich Elliott, who made a return to the beat last night with a new paper/site (Litchfield County Sports).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I think he was poking fun at Rich Elliott, who made a return to the beat last night with a new paper/site (Litchfield County Sports).
I'll have to go back listen to that. If so that was pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that's the case. So when he continues to tell Rich to ask him the question he really really wants to ask him Rich says "So how's your relationship with Pat Summitt?" which Geno answers with a few cuss words that were bleeped out on live TV.

(Tennessee lurkers who will get riled up - I believe the curse words were directed at Rich and not about Pat)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Great read. I think he must have read the orange boards in the past because his line about the complaints of "Some record or classy coach was a popular refrain as it is on many nights..." Another one in relation to his winning % was "cupcake schedule".

It's just a matter of time before he's commonly acknowledged as the greatest of all time. I think even his most ardent detractors will acknowledge that he's accomplished a ton with many #1 statistics that stand alone in the record books (Most NC's, best winning %, fastest to 900 wins, etc).

Loved the line about continuing to raise the bar. His passion still burns indeed. I think 95% of the other coaches and most other fans out there get it. We constantly hear/read things (not nearly as eloquently as what was written by Sherri Coale) who appreciate seeing a UCONN practice, or are thrilled when UCONN comes to town, even knowing their team will likely lose by 50+.

I fervently hope UCONN is out of the conference sooner rather than later, but the BE was awful for many years, and even with ND and RU there were years where almost every BE game was a blowout. I don't have great hopes for the conference, but I do see glimmers of light - I do think USF, Tulane, Temple and Tulsa all have the chance to be somewhere between decent to fairly good. I hope ECU and UCF start to get some better recruits because I think their coaches are on the right track. We are stuck in this conference for the near future - so i certainly hope the other teams lift themselves as much as they can.

Last thing - in a recent Geno show he was asked about people coming to him for his opinion on how to improve their programs etc etc. Geno surprised me by saying that he gets asked that all the time, but more often than not, the other coaches don't like what he has to say and only want to hear about it if what Geno says is what those coaches think as well. It's mystifying that any coach whose team is under .500 wouldn't soak up Geno's advice and do everything they can to emulate what UCONN does... I wonder which coaches are trying to emulate him and which ones have chosen to ignore everything...

It's not a mystery to me. When you consider that there are hundreds of college coaches, the Bell curve will indicate a large # who are content to coast, to avoid extra work, to not rattle the administration, to not risk players quitting. For every highly motivated Louisville guy
who seriously sought Geno's leadership, there are so many who won't.

Reaction Score
One of the best ever Geno post-game quotes (after Cincinnati) - when asked about Diane Taurasi stepping away from the WNBA and taking a year off, he spoke of his 2016 USA Olympic team and with a straight-faced declared- "I'll cut her ass if she's not in shape." How can you not love the guy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Jim this is a classic. This is why Geno is the greatest and UConn is the greatest team in all sports. Terrific job.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Contrary to what some people think, Geno rarely if ever runs up the score.

He plays starters later in the game because they need to work on things, but they are playing only 18-24 minutes lately. All the players are taught to play hard, irrespective of the score. The bench players need to do that to get more minutes. So the team plays hard for 40. So what?! We have great starters resting, but Kiah, Gabby, Saniya, Courtney, and one starter still make up a good unit.

Geno will call off the fast break or the full-court press the last 10-20 minutes of games. I think he really tries to keep the score under 100.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is at a very high level. Its taken Geno and CD 30 years to reach this point. So why would anyone think that some opponent could beat them? It doesn't make sense although it does happen from time to time, and that's just the way it is. When you winning games by double digits against everybody and continue to do that year in and year out you set a standard that others can if they choose to fight to attain. That doesn't happen over nite. It takes years. So when fans, say Im worried about losing or this could be a close game and I say no way. Its not that Im smart. I just know from other games that that doesn't happen very often. A couple of fluky games here and there but for the most part this team isn't going to lose and not loose especially under pressure of a big game. That is because of the mental level they play at which is a direct result of their coaching discipline and confidence in their system. They know if they continue to trust their system they will win every time. Geno does the right things to try to not embarrass opponents. Its not his fault if they cant play to his level. Other coaches need to aspire to his level which takes time and if they don't they will continue to get beat down. Don't blame Geno blame other coaches for not keep up with him.

Reaction Score
Contrary to what some people think, Geno rarely if ever runs up the score.

He plays starters later in the game because they need to work on things, but they are playing only 18-24 minutes lately. All the players are taught to play hard, irrespective of the score. The bench players need to do that to get more minutes. So the team plays hard for 40. So what?! We have great starters resting, but Kiah, Gabby, Saniya, Courtney, and one starter still make up a good unit.

Geno will call off the fast break or the full-court press the last 10-20 minutes of games. I think he really tries to keep the score under 100.
He seemed to call it off way earlier than that the other night. The Cincy players simply could not deal with it. #22 lost the ball three times in a row. She made some nice baskets in the second half but needs to work on her ball handling.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Regarding the title of the thread - why should he?

I'm sorry, but if your opponent lets you score that many points and can only score whatever they do, well, then that's the situation. What on earth is there to apologize for.

Am I "happy" that UConn is that much better than everyone else - no, I'm not a UConn fan. If I was, I would be ecstatic.

But, as has been said before, if there is any "fault" to the situation, none of it is on UConn's side. I really don't think there is that much on other coaches - many have tried, but none are Geno.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Regarding the title of the thread - why should he?

I'm sorry, but if your opponent lets you score that many points and can only score whatever they do, well, then that's the situation. What on earth is there to apologize for.

Am I "happy" that UConn is that much better than everyone else - no, I'm not a UConn fan. If I was, I would be ecstatic.

But, as has been said before, if there is any "fault" to the situation, none of it is on UConn's side. I really don't think there is that much on other coaches - many have tried, but none are Geno.

I AM a UConn, and I would much rather see competitive games. But, you have the best players going to UConn, where they get the best coaches, and are pushed beyond what they thought was their limits, only to achieve new levels. Credit the coaching staff for recognizing who will fit in, and who won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom