Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love.

Reaction Score
So, to summarize: This program lost two games in the last two years, each in a Final Four semi-final, and each by one bucket in overtime. Ergo, the obvious conclusion is that the Coach’s methods no longer work? OK, I’m convinced!!

Reaction Score
's ok. Tuba. No. And No, though I once dabbled in teaching. These days I just listen. Thanks for asking.

I recently met a gent at the dentist's office who is apparently one of the jazz world's great tuba players............travels all over the world but still plays in the Broadway pits to pay the bills............unfortunately I forgot his name..........will ask the dentist for his name next time I go there

Reaction Score
Tomcat, agree entirely with your first paragraph, disagree in part with the second. Some posts are so out of line with reality that they need to be exposed. Teef, the OP has written one of them.

My first argument is to motivation. He drops a controversial post and disappears. He doesn't defend, explain, stand up or for his thesis. Nor does he take the other tack and admit that he may have been wrong. He stands back and watches the fall out. It is further revealed that he is a previous poster posing under a new identity. Not exactly the earmarks of an honest heartfelt opinion is it?

My second argument is to thesis. Conclusion #1 is that MW needs more playing time. Some respected posters here have come to that same conclusion. There have been lively, even heated debates, and you're right the BY does exist for that very purpose (among others). But his supporting points are about the players emotional state, their embarrassment, their wounded pride, their tears at not playing when they so obviously deserve to as HS all stars. He wants Geno to treat them like little girls to be protected from hurt feelings. Central to Geno's coaching philosophy is to treat them like basketball players, athletes training to be the best they can possibly be. Not girl basketball players, not even women basketball players, just basketball players. This is how he shows them respect for what they have chosen to do, and gives them the opportunity to earn self respect.

Conclusion #2 is that Geno is arrogant for not playing MW. And again, many respected posters have noted that Geno is arrogant. Geno has noted that he is arrogant. But Teef wants to use Geno's arrogance as a hurdle to surmount to give MW more playing time and respect the wishes of the fans? I guarantee you that the moment Geno coaches to the fans wants and desires that will mark the beginning of the end for Uconn WCBB.

When a poster like CharlieBB comes to the same conclusions and supports them with observations and skilled debate points and stands up and takes the heat for an unpopular point of view, I read and learn, and when others refute I learn more, it is enjoyable.

Teef was not and is not that. Teef is a Troll.
You're probably right. I just have never taken the time to see whether someone like that is trolling or not. The trolls who bother m are the ones who attack an individual player. I'm told that used to happen some years ago, before my time. To me, anything better than that is at least worth considering. And about the OP, I have to say I didn't agree with his/her logic even a little bit, but I didn't figure that was the point.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
or that's good enough these days, cool!
Oh dear, have you joined the Perfect Or Bust crew? It must be very stressful, expecting things -or people - to be perfect all the time, especially when some of those people are teenagers. I wonder if they hold themselves or their loved ones to that same lofty standard of perfection?

Reaction Score
Oh dear, have you joined the Perfect Or Bust crew? It must be very stressful, expecting things -or people - to be perfect all the time, especially when some of those people are teenagers. I wonder if they hold themselves or their loved ones to that same lofty standard of perfection?

don't worry, it will just take one season with 3-4 losses and a round of sixteen knockout to get everybody back in line............;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
's ok. Tuba. No. And No, though I once dabbled in teaching. These days I just listen. Thanks for asking.
Have you heard the below? I first heard it at the Tanglewood concert for John Williams’ 80th birthday. Fabulous!

Speaking of John Williams, did you know the famous daaaaaa DAH daaaaaaa DAH shark theme from Jaws is played by a tuba rather than a baritone horn? Williams thought it would sound more ominous if played by the deeper low brass. An amazingly talented tuba player must have played that theme to hit such high notes.

Reaction Score
I remember we couldn't even get a high school player of the year to commit to UCONN,and now that we're on a rollercoaster of winning National Championships, you decide to sit the best player in the country.?! I know he has his own philosophy, however, people tend to forget that these girls are between the ages of 18 to 22 years old. Their mentality is I want to play, and I'm seeing all the other girls that I played against in high school getting a lot of playing time and shining on the division 1 level, and I'm sitting on the bench.?! I don't care what Meagan Walker says during her interview, when players of her status go back to their hometown they are not happy. It's embarrassing, and there's a lot of questions that's being asked from friends and family members that they just don't know how to handle. Put your arrogance to the side and play the girls. We ,the fans, want to see them play.

Here we go again! First, as to the doom and gloom! We lost two games on buzzer beater shots in overtime and now we may never win another championship? Ridiculous! Perhaps we won’t win another one but it will not be because Geno needs to change! He remains the best coach in college b-ball and I have no doubt that all you doom and gloomers will be singing a different tune in the near future! Second, all of these recruits whether they are #1 of not, have followed UConn for years, established a relationship with the UConn coaches that (presumably) has lasted two or more years, and have been told reportedly from day one that their ranking earns them nothing in terms of playing time! Geno and Chris Dailey have built the most dominant program in history by demanding and getting maximum effort and commitment from their recruits. I have heard from star after star how Geno helped them reach a level that they did not even think they had! In fact several of these stars said explicitly that the reason they came to UConn in the first place was because they knew that Geno would demand their best and push them to a new level! Doom & gloom? The end of UConn dominance? I’m not buying it! As long as Geno and Chris Dailey are at the helm, UConn will continue to dominate and will also continue to recruit and develop great players that fit their template! Of course, they need good fortune as well! Injuries, the occasional miss on a recruit, and sometimes, bad luck have a huge effect on whether we actually win the championship or simply have another dominant year! So, to all the Monday morning quarterbacks, the doom & gloomers, and naysayers, I would simply say this. You think you know more than them, you don’t like him, you resent his “my way or the highway” methods, or perhaps you are simply uncomfortable that these star athletes are not being treated with the reverence you think they deserve. All of these things that bother you, are why UConn has 11 championships and a seemingly annual appearance at the Final Four! Please, for your own sake, get over yourself and try to appreciate the historic and incredible excellence that is UConn Women’s Basketball!

Reaction Score
Here we go again! First, as to the doom and gloom! We lost two games on buzzer beater shots in overtime and now we may never win another championship? Ridiculous! Perhaps we won’t win another one but it will not be because Geno needs to change! He remains the best coach in college b-ball and I have no doubt that all you doom and gloomers will be singing a different tune in the near future! Second, all of these recruits whether they are #1 of not, have followed UConn for years, established a relationship with the UConn coaches that (presumably) has lasted two or more years, and have been told reportedly from day one that their ranking earns them nothing in terms of playing time! Geno and Chris Dailey have built the most dominant program in history by demanding and getting maximum effort and commitment from their recruits. I have heard from star after star how Geno helped them reach a level that they did not even think they had! In fact several of these stars said explicitly that the reason they came to UConn in the first place was because they knew that Geno would demand their best and push them to a new level! Doom & gloom? The end of UConn dominance? I’m not buying it! As long as Geno and Chris Dailey are at the helm, UConn will continue to dominate and will also continue to recruit and develop great players that fit their template! Of course, they need good fortune as well! Injuries, the occasional miss on a recruit, and sometimes, bad luck have a huge effect on whether we actually win the championship or simply have another dominant year! So, to all the Monday morning quarterbacks, the doom & gloomers, and naysayers, I would simply say this. You think you know more than them, you don’t like him, you resent his “my way or the highway” methods, or perhaps you are simply uncomfortable that these star athletes are not being treated with the reverence you think they deserve. All of these things that bother you, are why UConn has 11 championships and a seemingly annual appearance at the Final Four! Please, for your own sake, get over yourself and try to appreciate the historic and incredible excellence that is UConn Women’s Basketball!

You're going to find lot's of friends here with that team spirit............may you keep Geno and CD always in your basketball thoughts.........Amen..................

Reaction Score
I agree with the Op to a point, most people here might not like it, but I’m sure there are people telling Meg this and that about her freshman year, from other players, to friends and family, it’s all a part of life. But the good thing is Meg is still apart of the team and is looking forward to a new season next year. With Howard not coming in I think the 4 spot is wide open for Walker to step into and make an impact.
To bolster your point, I remember Kiah Stokes saying that a lot of people in the off season were telling her to transfer when she wasn't getting much playing time. So they definitely do hear it. That said, let me be clear, it doesn't mean that I think Geno handled Megan poorly. I saw enough for myself to recognize that there is probably good reason he did what he did with her. I of course wish her the best and hope she becomes all that she can be.

Reaction Score
And right there is where I think Geno's problem with her was. When they are ready, they don't let that happen.
That's a good point. The young women who play for UConn are not children or glass figurines and I think treating them as such would be disrespectful. Confidence, in my experience, comes from doing things well again and again, not from people saying, "good child," when they are failing. That might be appropriate for little kids, not for the kind of young adults who play for the best program in women's basketball history.

Reaction Score
As much as I disagree with it, I believe the post is not foolish. There are people here, apparently quite sincere, who believe that Geno is wrong and the freshmen should, in essence, play themselves into the lineup. I am not one of those who says Geno is a god and no one should disagree with him.On the other hand, Geno really does not make many mistakes, it seems to me. On a matter like this, I defer to him. And anyway, he has the power. Who cares what I say?

What I don't understand is the people who, when vehemently disagreeing with a post, call it foolish and dismiss it out of hand. Isn't the point of this board -- or one point, anyway -- to air a variety of viewpoints? Especially in the summer, doesn't disagreement make the world go round?
I basically agree with what you are saying, except if it is foolish, why should anybody be stopped from saying it's foolish, especially if they back it up with facts? Let people say what they will and the better stuff will win out over the lesser (foolish?) stuff.

Reaction Score
As an Italian... I can say with certainty that Geno is showing the love. We only give Tough Love. You do not like it, suck it up and deal. And since the person posting is not the #1 recruit their opinion on the issue does not matter. I hope Geno continues to show the love by being fair and keeping his expectations where they are.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And thanks for answering. Good food, wine music and conversation are the lasting pleasures of life. Or at least I think that way at my age.
I'm with ya, though I think there's something to be said for fine Bourbon whiskeyl

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Have you heard the below? I first heard it at the Tanglewood concert for John Williams’ 80th birthday. Fabulous!

Speaking of John Williams, did you know the famous daaaaaa DAH daaaaaaa DAH shark theme from Jaws is played by a tuba rather than a baritone horn? Williams thought it would sound more ominous if played by the deeper low brass. An amazingly talented tuba player must have played that theme to hit such high notes.

I wasn't aware of that, but I once knew the name of the guy playing the tuba part--the communication--from the mother ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Some pretty impressive work, if I may say.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
oh dear... time for my annual spanking.

actually it was tongue and cheek. All year dating back to the Miss State loss a championship was all but guaranteed with the addition of Z. Why its all good at the beginning of the season but when reality speaks some posters are the bad guys. Oh now they're just teens, blah blah blah
I didnt expect them to win it all in 2017 nor 2018 so my expectations were right on point! :p

Reaction Score
Some of the die hards on this board will not admit Geno is not god. He is the best coach in the country and has proven it. But he also makes mistakes and is a very stubborn man. Things have changed for recruits. There are alot of good coaches out the there so they have more choices. I thought Walker should of gotten more playing time. She showed how good she was early on only to see her minutes diminish. She should of gotten more of Molly's minutes. She is a better player and was needed in the final 4. She is tough and an excellent rebounder. I think Geno took allott of her confidence away. Now days recruits see that more than the past and are pickier. Coaches have to change with times.
I totally agree with your opening half about Geno being (by far) the best college coach ever. But he is stubborn and somewhat unbending. That's a significant part of his genius. On the other hand, sometimes even the geniuses need to tweak their approaches, plans, styles and strategies.
I disagree fully as MW being a good example of his making an error. Of course she's a much more skilled player than Molly or anyone on the bench after AZ but one should be asking or maybe knowing what prevented her from solidifying that slot even though it was gift wrapped for her. From my perspective that's pointing to one of Geno's greatest strengths and a primary column of the greatness of the structure of the program. She didn't earn it and deserve it and didn't get it. It's still on her! And she and only she will determine what lies ahead for her. She can show a huge sophomore jump like CD or less than that. It's hardly a given because she was HS player of the year. That will soon be a year and a half ago.
I believe his very minimal shortfall lies in the inability of developing someone to step up two years in a row and take some control of the game. AZ was clearly doing that and he sat her for almost seven minutes at the beginning of the third period.
It drives me nuts that the response to any criticism of Geno, revolves around his clearly unmatched success, so who are you to question?
When one doesn't continually question the norm or authority it leads to not only greater problems but also boredom.
Yes getting to two consecutive national semi-finals is an enormous accomplishment for any program and not many others have done it. But that's not the expectation here and that's Geno, CD and the other coaches and all of the great and not so great players who have built that. So when the NC is not reached, particularly when the last two years outcome and the flow of both those games was almost exactly the same, one should clearly analyze the how's and whys, and make those minor adjustments that that analysis indicates. What do I or anyone who comments or criticizes know?? Probably very little in comparison to Geno, CD and the other coaches but other programs are beginning to catch on and up, so you clearly don't stand still and just leave it as its been.
One needs to look around in any field of endeavor and questioning is essential to growth and further excellence.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I totally agree with your opening half about Geno being (by far) the best college coach ever. But he is stubborn and somewhat unbending. That's a significant part of his genius. On the other hand, sometimes even the geniuses need to tweak their approaches, plans, styles and strategies.
I disagree fully as MW being a good example of his making an error. Of course she's a much more skilled player than Molly or anyone on the bench after AZ but one should be asking or maybe knowing what prevented her from solidifying that slot even though it was gift wrapped for her. From my perspective that's pointing to one of Geno's greatest strengths and a primary column of the greatness of the structure of the program. She didn't earn it and deserve it and didn't get it. It's still on her! And she and only she will determine what lies ahead for her. She can show a huge sophomore jump like CD or less than that. It's hardly a given because she was HS player of the year. That will soon be a year and a half ago.
I believe his very minimal shortfall lies in the inability of developing someone to step up two years in a row and take some control of the game. AZ was clearly doing that and he sat her for almost seven minutes at the beginning of the third period.
It drives me nuts that the response to any criticism of Geno, revolves around his clearly unmatched success, so who are you to question?
When one doesn't continually question the norm or authority it leads to not only greater problems but also boredom.
Yes getting to two consecutive national semi-finals is an enormous accomplishment for any program and not many others have done it. But that's not the expectation here and that's Geno, CD and the other coaches and all of the great and not so great players who have built that. So when the NC is not reached, particularly when the last two years outcome and the flow of both those games was almost exactly the same, one should clearly analyze the how's and whys, and make those minor adjustments that that analysis indicates. What do I or anyone who comments or criticizes know?? Probably very little in comparison to Geno, CD and the other coaches but other programs are beginning to catch on and up, so you clearly don't stand still and just leave it as its been.
One needs to look around in any field of endeavor and questioning is essential to growth and further excellence.
Bronx23

there's a middle ground here...........how come Geno takes none of the blame for an underachieving bench................isn't that partly on him? As I preached all season long, suffering abuse from many Genomaniacs along the way, his inability to get more out of his bench was going to come back to haunt the team and it surely did in the loss to ND..........I won't even go into the possible impact it may have on recruiting in the future.........I'm hoping that there's none but only time will tell

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Geno is and will always be a great coach. What is changing in the past years is the generation of these recruits. This is a generation of participation trophy's, awards, etc., and let's not forget social media. Young kids these days receive a lot of attention (all about ME and what I can do) and unfortunately, expect the same in college. Many current and incoming recruits for all programs are talented, however, if they are not strong and willing to adapt, they may not make it in some of the great programs - UConn. Great coaches will not change their philosophy, but should they? Should they find different ways to accommodate the current generation? We all know that tough, hard work pays off, but will the current generation be able to understand that and give the program a chance to work?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. I googled around and evidently this was composed in 1985, which puts it past my college days. This performer is fantastic.

Also speaking of John Williams, the English composer Ralph Vaughn-Williams also wrote a tuba concerto. I had a Deutsche-Grammophon recording of it at one time.

Wish I could remember that Close Encounters guy. He wore a flat-top even in the seventies. Tommy something, maybe.

Reaction Score
Wish I could remember that Close Encounters guy. He wore a flat-top even in the seventies. Tommy something, maybe.
Jim Self

"Tuba player Jim Self is the "musical voice" of the mothership in the climactic scene when the big ship comes down on Devils Tower. Steven Spielberg and John Williams chose the tuba as the voice of the mothership because the difficulty of playing the instrument added a human characteristic to the aliens."

2nd Google search result for "Close Encounters of the Third Kind Tuba Player"

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - Trivia - IMDb

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Jim Self

"Tuba player Jim Self is the "musical voice" of the mothership in the climactic scene when the big ship comes down on Devils Tower. Steven Spielberg and John Williams chose the tuba as the voice of the mothership because the difficulty of playing the instrument added a human characteristic to the aliens."

2nd Google search result for "Close Encounters of the Third Kind Tuba Player"

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - Trivia - IMDb
Ah, right! Thanks.

I sort of remember a conversation with my teacher now. I think he said it was this Tommy fellow but I think I was able to correct him. That would have been about 40 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom