Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love.

Reaction Score
Why do people even reply to foolish posts like this?
This warmer weather is bringing the trolls out from under their bridges.

As much as I disagree with it, I believe the post is not foolish. There are people here, apparently quite sincere, who believe that Geno is wrong and the freshmen should, in essence, play themselves into the lineup. I am not one of those who says Geno is a god and no one should disagree with him.On the other hand, Geno really does not make many mistakes, it seems to me. On a matter like this, I defer to him. And anyway, he has the power. Who cares what I say?

What I don't understand is the people who, when vehemently disagreeing with a post, call it foolish and dismiss it out of hand. Isn't the point of this board -- or one point, anyway -- to air a variety of viewpoints? Especially in the summer, doesn't disagreement make the world go round?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As much as I disagree with it, I believe the post is not foolish. There are people here, apparently quite sincere, who believe that Geno is wrong and the freshmen should, in essence, play themselves into the lineup. I am not one of those who says Geno is a god and no one should disagree with him.On the other hand, Geno really does not make many mistakes, it seems to me. On a matter like this, I defer to him. And anyway, he has the power. Who cares what I say?

What I don't understand is the people who, when vehemently disagreeing with a post, call it foolish and dismiss it out of hand. Isn't the point of this board -- or one point, anyway -- to air a variety of viewpoints? Especially in the summer, doesn't disagreement make the world go round?
These opinions were repeats, foolish, faulty, unreasonable, and more that worthy of dismissal. Reasonable debate is the BY standard and this strawman fell apart very quickly with the very title of the thread, followed by the words "I don't care what Megan Walker says". Sorry, but if Geno is not showing Megan Walker "enough" love, what Megan says about that is kind of central to a "reasoned" dialogue, no?

He's a great coach. He knows I have that potential. Everything he does, there's a reason for it. … I definitely think it's been a fair process.—
--Megan Walker on Geno Auriemma and the freshman experience.
UConn's Megan Walker On Her Freshman Season: 'A Fair Process'

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well this one was pretty damn obvious. But to answer your question, I'm meyers7. WTFAY? :cool:

Sure, then they can show me (er, try to show me) why that is? But we know how that usually turns out. :rolleyes:
Evidently any opinion that does not agree with yours is stupid. As far as who I am, evidently your eye sight is as bad as your opinions.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If any of these critics coming down hard on Geno can point out the section on their résumé where it says they've won 11 national championships, I'm willing to give them a listen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yea, Lou sure hasn't done anything, unless you include that she was a 2-time consensus 1st team AA. MW is completing her freshmen year and CW has yet to play a game in Storrs. Not exactly sure what your point is?
Yep 72-2, 2 FF's, 2 Conference Championships, 2 Conference Tourney Championships, 2 undefeated Regular Seasons, yep nothing to celebrate here. :rolleyes:

or that's good enough these days, cool!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Do you think we need an ID-TEN-T thread to stick some of these posts. That we wee will have a thread to go to when we need a laugh,Head bang

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Some of the die hards on this board will not admit Geno is not god. He is the best coach in the country and has proven it. But he also makes mistakes and is a very stubborn man. Things have changed for recruits. There are alot of good coaches out the there so they have more choices. I thought Walker should of gotten more playing time. She showed how good she was early on only to see her minutes diminish. She should of gotten more of Molly's minutes. She is a better player and was needed in the final 4. She is tough and an excellent rebounder. I think Geno took allott of her confidence away. Now days recruits see that more than the past and are pickier. Coaches have to change with times.

LOL. Outside of Irwin and Bent, all of Geno’s recruits the last three years have played in one or more HS all star games. The two incoming recruits are ranked very high, one generally ranked first. Brunelle I’d wager just liked ND better and it had zero to do with Walker’s year at UConn.

The girls today certainly have more decent choices around the country. That might affect a kids choice to stay closer to home more than how this recruit or that got freshman playing time at UConn Geno isnt god and his use of players can be questioned, but the program is two points away from having made the NC game six years in a row. UConn once again had mulitiple players drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft and that league’s all-star game is loaded with ex-UConn players. If that is lost on high level recruits, I don’t know who is whispering in their ear.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

What I don't understand is people who say they believe posters should be able to express their opinions, but then complain when someone's opinion is that a post was foolish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Evidently any opinion that does not agree with yours is stupid.
No, only the stupid ones. Or the stupidly put ones. Sometimes the opinion is good, but the argument to support it is stupid. There's a lot more to it than you're probably aware of.

As far as who I am, evidently your eye sight is as bad as your opinions.
Hmmm, must be as bad as your eyesight, seeing as that is what you asked me. (first by the way, hmmmmm?) (Dang, stepped in it again didn't ya?)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do you think we need an ID-TEN-T thread to stick some of these posts. That we wee will have a thread to go to when we need a laugh,Head bang
Nah, there will always be something new to laugh at. :D

Reaction Score
LOL. Outside of Irwin and Bent, all of Geno’s recruits the last three years have played in one or more HS all star games. The two incoming recruits are ranked very high, one generally ranked first. Brunelle I’d wager just liked ND better and it had zero to do with Walker’s year at UConn.

The girls today certainly have more decent choices around the country. That might affect a kids choice to stay closer to home more than how this recruit or that got freshman playing time at UConn Geno isnt god and his use of players can be questioned, but the program is two points away from having made the NC game six years in a row. UConn once again had mulitiple players drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft and that league’s all-star game is loaded with ex-UConn players. If that is lost on high level recruits, I don’t know who is whispering in their ear.

Let's see how the 2019-2020 recruiting classes pan out................if UConn gets the players they target this argument has zero merit.............if they come up short perhaps you'll think differently.............

Reaction Score
And there you see the Geno problem. Saying they haven’t achieved when all
they've done is lose in overtime in the last two national semi finals is something a great many No 1 recruits who shied away from UConn haven’t sniffed. I think he should have used MW against ND to sit KLS when her foul trouble made her a defensive liability. But he hardly messes up with his #1 recruits. Forget the hs rankings which might or might not be warranted, he seemed to succeed ok with most and most had a freshman learning curve. .
Not sure why some make this a totally "Geno is perfect" or "Geno is bad" discussion. Perfectly fair to consider the one or two little things that may or may not contribute to a National Championship. Geno has said numerous times one of his strengths is the ability to evolve a game plan. This discussion is only for the elite to have.

Reaction Score
those #1s haven't done anything either
OK, my good friend...like you, I am fairly delirious over the news of Jasmine L's return to Storrs...but, unlike you, I haven't allowed the news (I don't think) to adversely affect my judgement! :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let's see how the 2019-2020 recruiting classes pan out......if UConn gets the players they target this argument has zero merit...if they come up short perhaps you'll think differently...
Let's see how the 2019-2020 recruiting classes pan out......if UConn gets the players they target this argument has zero merit...if they come up short perhaps you'll think differently...

Outside of Crystal, her class was no great shakes. The next year on paper was very good. This year’s class, while small, on paper is elite. Do I think we have a depth issue? Yes. Do I think a boffo class for next year would be great? Of course. Given recent history, even if next year is less than ideal, I would not declare any kind of trend based on one year. And if next year’s class is terrific on paper, would that change your mind?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can we stop with the MW & Geno saga!? She came in a little too overhyped (from this board especially) and she was behind literally 6 AA type players. What did she show the last 6 weeks of the season to gain anyone’s trust in big games? I’m expecting her to have a good season next year with a year of experience under her belt but she just simply wasn’t ready last year. It happens, move on.

Good point. Sometimes fans forget that in addition to not understanding Geno's scheme's enough to enter a game, and not be a liability, and not yet having made the adjustments necessary to play with the first unit, freshman are also faced with the dilemma of having several older and more experienced teammates that were former HS All Americans and/or Miss (state) Basketball type players in front of them on the depth chart. This is not always the case at other programs where sometimes freshmen come in and flourish right away, i.e, Chennedy Carter (TA&M) and Evina Westbrook (Tennessee).

Any given year, the UConn starting until is always a tough one to crack, even for returning players. It usally features 1-2 United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) ALL Americans, and 1-2 AAC all conference players as well. Freshman coming into the program understand this, as they've been forewarned by coaches and players alike.

We must not forget one of the oldest rules in any sport at any level. If you want more playing time, YOU have move out the player in front of you. You want more playing time, play better than the player in front of you. All coaches want to win as many games as possible each year. They're going to put the BEST 5 players on the floor that give them "the best chance to win"!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Outside of Crystal, her class was no great shakes. The next year on paper was very good. This year’s class, while small, on paper is elite. Do I think we have a depth issue? Yes. Do I think a boffo class for next year would be great? Of course. Given recent history, even if next year is less than ideal, I would not declare any kind of trend based on one year. And if next year’s class is terrific on paper, would that change your mind?

2019 should be another banner year for UConn recruiting despite the Sam Brunelle situation.............with Jones, Boston, Amihere and Correa as realistic possibilities...........if you look at the current bench situation, UConn needs these players in a big way.............the 2020 class is a gold mine...............Bueckers, Clark, Van Lith, Brink................we're talking sensational talent.............if UConn get's it's share as it usually does the future is very bright if not then I see trouble on the horizon

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Tomcat, agree entirely with your first paragraph, disagree in part with the second. Some posts are so out of line with reality that they need to be exposed. Teef, the OP has written one of them.

My first argument is to motivation. He drops a controversial post and disappears. He doesn't defend, explain, stand up or for his thesis. Nor does he take the other tack and admit that he may have been wrong. He stands back and watches the fall out. It is further revealed that he is a previous poster posing under a new identity. Not exactly the earmarks of an honest heartfelt opinion is it?

My second argument is to thesis. Conclusion #1 is that MW needs more playing time. Some respected posters here have come to that same conclusion. There have been lively, even heated debates, and you're right the BY does exist for that very purpose (among others). But his supporting points are about the players emotional state, their embarrassment, their wounded pride, their tears at not playing when they so obviously deserve to as HS all stars. He wants Geno to treat them like little girls to be protected from hurt feelings. Central to Geno's coaching philosophy is to treat them like basketball players, athletes training to be the best they can possibly be. Not girl basketball players, not even women basketball players, just basketball players. This is how he shows them respect for what they have chosen to do, and gives them the opportunity to earn self respect.

Conclusion #2 is that Geno is arrogant for not playing MW. And again, many respected posters have noted that Geno is arrogant. Geno has noted that he is arrogant. But Teef wants to use Geno's arrogance as a hurdle to surmount to give MW more playing time and respect the wishes of the fans? I guarantee you that the moment Geno coaches to the fans wants and desires that will mark the beginning of the end for Uconn WCBB.

When a poster like CharlieBB comes to the same conclusions and supports them with observations and skilled debate points and stands up and takes the heat for an unpopular point of view, I read and learn, and when others refute I learn more, it is enjoyable.

Teef was not and is not that. Teef is a Troll.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tomcat, agree entirely with your first paragraph, disagree in part with the second. Some posts are so out of line with reality that they need to be exposed. Teef, the OP has written one of them.

My first argument is to motivation. He drops a controversial post and disappears. He doesn't defend, explain, stand up or for his thesis. Nor does he take the other tack and admit that he may have been wrong. He stands back and watches the fall out. It is further revealed that he is a previous poster posing under a new identity. Not exactly the earmarks of an honest heartfelt opinion is it?

My second argument is to thesis. Conclusion #1 is that MW needs more playing time. Some respected posters here have come to that same conclusion. There have been lively, even heated debates, and your right the BY does exist for that very purpose (among others). But his supporting points are about the players emotional state, their embarrassment, their wounded pride, their tears at not playing when they so obviously deserve to as HS all stars. He wants Geno to treat them like little girls to be protected from hurt feelings. Central to Geno's coaching philosophy is to treat them like basketball players, athletes training to be the best they can possibly be. Not girl basketball players, not even women basketball players, just basketball players. This is how he shows them respect for what they have chosen to do, and gives them the opportunity to earn self respect.

Conclusion #2 is that Geno is arrogant for not playing MW. And again, many respected posters have noted that Geno is arrogant. Geno has noted that he is arrogant. But Teef wants to use Geno's arrogance as a hurdle to surmount to give MW more playing time and respect the wishes of the fans? I guarantee you that the moment Geno coaches to the fans wants and desires that will mark the beginning of the end for Uconn WCBB.

When a poster like CharlieBB comes to the same conclusions and supports them with observations and skilled debate points and stands up and takes the heat for an unpopular point of view, I read and learn, and when others refute I learn more, it is enjoyable.

Teef was not and is not that. Teef is a Troll.
upload_2018-4-25_13-59-51.jpeg

Reaction Score
All the great coaches like Geno, Belichick, Lomdardi (besides being Italian) are stubborn & will not change their ways due to public pressure. Inevitably, the game changes so much that their ways don't work any more. Its rare the great coach that leaves on top. I can only think of one - John Wooden.

Reaction Score
Two Final Fours in row? That's something the vast majority of programs can only dream about.
Only two teams have been to the last two Final Fours, Mississippi State and UConn. Notre Dame hadn't been there for a couple of years, right?

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I got a 1st rating at the state solo and ensemble contest in 8th grade. Am I close?

Curiosity question, if I may. What instrument? Do you still play? Guessing from your avatar a professional career musician? Apologies if this is prying into private area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom