Geno nails the Catholics to the wall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno nails the Catholics to the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Catholic schools provided outstanding basketball competition in the BE. Uconn hasn't exactly been completely innocent is all this with one foot out the door begging the ACC for an invitation so we really aren't in a position to throw stones. The Catholic schools are doing exactly what we would do: the best for themselves. Conference loyalty is a joke.
You are right that every team(including UCONN) is looking to find a more stable situation than the current BE offers. I look at the Catholic schools in terms of a cycling analogy. In the peleton, riders/teams take turns riding at the front of the pack where the riding is hardest, to break the wind (like birds do). It is understood that the real contendors to win a race need to pull their fair share up front. The Catholic schools are like the rogue weak riders in the back of the pack who never get out front to lead the way, but when the finish line is in sight, they suddenly sprint to the front to try and "win" even though they are only in a decent position because of the hard work of others. Riders like this are douches. Just like the Catholic schools in this instance. As a poster previously said, it might be "acceptable" to do this, but WWJD? Certainly not screw over peers who have been giving them handouts for years.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Was what he said factually inaccurate? Or is ad-hominem all you've got.

See, when I say Providence doesn't get it, it's because...you continually show that you literally do not understand how college athletics functions nowadays. It's based on your continuing stream of examples.

caw

Reaction Score
"three worst producing football schools are still outproducing the four bottom non-football schools in basketball"

You're pretty sure about that?

Lol you are correct I missed a few big words when typing that. Should have read as corrected above.

EDIT: Although in it seems clear I was talking about those four as I called them out previously in the post.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, I'm pretty sure Geno hasn't been happy with the way Uconn has handled this.

From what he's said, I think he really "blames" Notre Dame, believing that if they had joined the Big East in Football, this wouldn't have happened.
"They've been in our league 17 years, so how long are we going to date before we just decide this ain't working. And I'm not happy about it," Auriemma said at the conference's annual women's basketball media day Thursday. "That's not the opinion of the University of Connecticut, the Big East Conference. ... That's just Geno Auriemma's opinion."

"If Notre Dame had come in as a football and basketball school when they came in, we wouldn't have a problem. Miami wouldn't have left. Virginia Tech wouldn't have left. Boston College wouldn't have left. We probably wouldn't have any of these issues, would we?" Auriemma said.

Auriemma blames ND for shuffle

Reaction Score
"They've been in our league 17 years, so how long are we going to date before we just decide this ain't working. And I'm not happy about it," Auriemma said at the conference's annual women's basketball media day Thursday. "That's not the opinion of the University of Connecticut, the Big East Conference. ... That's just Geno Auriemma's opinion."

"If Notre Dame had come in as a football and basketball school when they came in, we wouldn't have a problem. Miami wouldn't have left. Virginia Tech wouldn't have left. Boston College wouldn't have left. We probably wouldn't have any of these issues, would we?" Auriemma said.

I don't disagree with him about Notre Dame. Maybe we should have let them in just for basketball then? It's also not Notre Dame's fault that they can run their own ship and always have.

Again, what separates the Catholic schools leaving is that they don't have state dollars and thereby don't have huge football teams to support. Big state dollars at your disposal make it a ton easier to assure successful sports programs in the major sports.

I'm not denying that st. John's has sucked for the majority of the last 15 years or so. Nobody knows this better than me. Ive sat through it. Cheap hires and bad decisions as well as neglect by the administration. We're at a point now thought that I think it's changing, but there is nothing for the 7 schools to do but stick together where mutual interests are regarded.

This isn't about some credits. Those schools will probably pay a big chunk of it back to get the Big East name anyway. The credits work the same in every conference. Look at the ACC and how many credits that only Duke and UNC earned all this time.

This is all about future viability. These schools don't have the big budgets of state schools and with a poor tv contract can't afford to be having and all sports conference heading to Fresno, Vegas, San Diego, Boise, and Timbuktu every week. I don't think the catholic schools have a choice at this point anymore and their hand was forced.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Prototypical argument about value and self worth.
For years UConn voted similarly to the C7 in attempts to offer compromise within the conference. More than likely this was because of UConn's history with bb and football which was unique in the conference. And for years they were one of the conferences primary money winner if not the primary. They were to the BE what FSU is to the ACC-trying to keep things together at their own expense. And yes I know both prospered as well but they offered more than they received.

Unfortunately there were too many obstacles in and outside of the conference resulting in the demise. People will argue the demise was inevitable, but that is mostly hindsight. There were a lot of events in the past, that with one slight change, the present would be entirely different. Accepting PSU, ND offering football, not giving ND voting rights if they didn't, UConn upgrading it's football program earlier, basketball schools creating a stance with the NCAA similar to what football schools have recently done, the B12 not stabilizing, FSU saying sc*w it to the ACC instead of trying to compromise, the three schools (Pitt, ND and Georgetown) not saying no to the ESPN offer last year.

There is truth to Geno's statement. But it is isolated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol. I never said Uconn didn't accomplish a ton for the league. You underestimate the impact that things like state dollars have for programs like Uconn. Those Catholic schools have a lot of disadvantages in competing in "big sports.".

I just have s problem with Geno lambasting the Catholic schools for doing nothing more than try to survive.
He's just pointing out the hypocracy of the BEBOs as victims narrative.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Geno is a hypocrite. He speaks about voting issues, yet none of the basketball schools were bolting for a bigger and better conference. How about Pitt voting down a big ESPN contract just to submarine the league and then taking off for the ACC?

so laughably naive. Speaking of voting, who do you think voted Tulane in, and then complained about the RPI hit, and left? Who is a hypocrite, again?

Reaction Score
All of this coming from the guy who wished for UConn & Rutgers to get stuck in a clusterf^ck of a conference, on PC's board. Rutgers is OK, hopefully, UConn lands in a better conference than FriarJ wished upon us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All of this coming from the guy who wished for UConn & Rutgers to get stuck in a clusterf^ck of a conference, on PC's board. Rutgers is OK, hopefully, UConn lands in a better conference than FriarJ wished upon us.
How many UConn recruits did we lose out to other programs only to get a last minute recruit that most of us felt disappointed the original guy didn't accept the UConn offer. And how many times did things work out great. I believe in the end UConn lands on its feet.

BC fans loved the move to the ACC. I'm not so sure they feel the same way at the moment. Maybe BC will turn around, but they cycled down as UConn cycled up.

Maybe the recent rejection of UConn by the ACC for Louisville, depressing as it is currently, ends up getting UConn in a better situation.

I can be very serious, very silly and occasionally flakey. But I still think that ten years from now we are ahead of many of the former BE programs we are now envious (and bitter) about. And I don't feel my statement is flakey! Just a gut hunch like the day I told my son, that there was a player at MM I observed who was the final piece to the puzzle and UConn will win an NC with him. That player was KEA.

Reaction Score
This is my first and possibly only post on these forums. I am not one to go on another schools boards to stir things up, but I just had to comment on this thread.

First off, I will say that in some way Geno was correct. There is not a Friar fan alive that will claim the past decade has been a positive for the school or the ideal representative for the Big East. However, claiming the B-E basketball schools were just living off the fat of the lamb waiting to bolt when times were lean, is a very narrow argument meant to avoid the overall reason the 7 schools are really leaving.

Now I will actually give some credit to Uconn for being upfront and honest about their desire to get the hell out of the Big East as soon as an offer is made to them. They did not follow the Louisville route. When Louisville found out, they claimed disdain at Sryacuse and Pitt abandoning the Big East, then did an about face the moment they could leave. That said, the reality is Uconn and Cincinnati WILL bolt the instant the ACC or another BCS league sends an invite, regardless of whether these 7 schools stay or leave. It makes more sense for your school to try and persue the highest level of Football and Basketball. And since the schools that now remain are of lesser quality, the Football brand will not meet its maximum potential. But it is this kind of uncertainty that forced the hands of the schools that do not play BCS level football, and they have to do what they need to in order to survive. In your desire to try and get to the ACC, you forgot about the teams left behind. Now you find yourself left behind.

The truth is that if Louisville, Notre Dame and Rutgers stuck with the rest of the B-E, and if Cincinnati and Uconn pledged they would stay even if offered to join the ACC/Big 10, the rest of schools would probably still be remaining. It is what it is in the NCAA nowadays, and if/when Uconn gets the call to another conference, I am sure us Friar fans will hear about how much better Uconn will be then us.

Also, once that happens you will be seeing fans of the teams that are still stuck in an even more watered down league complain about your school, and the motives behind its move. The cycle will continue.

Reaction Score
This is my first and possibly only post on these forums. I am not one to go on another schools boards to stir things up, but I just had to comment on this thread.

First off, I will say that in some way Geno was correct. There is not a Friar fan alive that will claim the past decade has been a positive for the school or the ideal representative for the Big East. However, claiming the B-E basketball schools were just living off the fat of the lamb waiting to bolt when times were lean, is a very narrow argument meant to avoid the overall reason the 7 schools are really leaving.

Now I will actually give some credit to Uconn for being upfront and honest about their desire to get the hell out of the Big East as soon as an offer is made to them. They did not follow the Louisville route. When Louisville found out, they claimed disdain at Sryacuse and Pitt abandoning the Big East, then did an about face the moment they could leave. That said, the reality is Uconn and Cincinnati WILL bolt the instant the ACC or another BCS league sends an invite, regardless of whether these 7 schools stay or leave. It makes more sense for your school to try and persue the highest level of Football and Basketball. And since the schools that now remain are of lesser quality, the Football brand will not meet its maximum potential. But it is this kind of uncertainty that forced the hands of the schools that do not play BCS level football, and they have to do what they need to in order to survive. In your desire to try and get to the ACC, you forgot about the teams left behind. Now you find yourself left behind.

The truth is that if Louisville, Notre Dame and Rutgers stuck with the rest of the B-E, and if Cincinnati and Uconn pledged they would stay even if offered to join the ACC/Big 10, the rest of schools would probably still be remaining. It is what it is in the NCAA nowadays, and if/when Uconn gets the call to another conference, I am sure us Friar fans will hear about how much better Uconn will be then us.

Also, once that happens you will be seeing fans of the teams that are still stuck in an even more watered down league complain about your school, and the motives behind its move. The cycle will continue.

Thank you for your interest in UConn Sports ... where WE win National Championships. Providence and some of the others are in danger of slipping to St. Bonaventure relevancy. It's been a long winding road; but, I wonder if there is the consistent will to keep abreast. Not our problem.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn Sports ... where WE win National Championships. Providence and some of the others are in danger of slipping to St. Bonaventure relevancy. It's been a long winding road; but, I wonder if there is the consistent will to keep abreast. Not our problem.
to be fair, st. bonaventure made the NCAA tournament last year. PC won't make the NCAA tournament for a long time.

Reaction Score

the arrogant has more juice than the PC mens coach that's for sure!!

Reaction Score
Sooner or later the 64-80 BCS schools will split from the NCAA. PC & crew will be like D-1AA in football. UConn will have a place at the big boys table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom