Geno nails the Catholics to the wall | The Boneyard

Geno nails the Catholics to the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not Catholics in general - that would be cruel - but the hoop-onlies.

He's not wrong.

"The Catholic schools did a really good thing. They stayed at the table for as long as it took them to make as much money as they could. And once they saw all the money running out, they decided to go play somewhere else," he told the newspaper. "Had some of them managed to vote appropriately over the last 10 years, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any idea what he's alluding to with the voting comment? Adding other schools, not allowing some others in? Or just splitting in 2004 when it first made sense?

Reaction Score
Probably referring to their willingness to add football schools when it was convenient for them, without appreciating the long-term consequences.

Reaction Score
It's very true that schools with no results whatsoever like PC cashed our checks for years

Reaction Score
It's very true that schools with no results whatsoever like PC cashed our checks for years

Geno is a hypocrite. He speaks about voting issues, yet none of the basketball schools were bolting for a bigger and better conference. How about Pitt voting down a big ESPN contract just to submarine the league and then taking off for the ACC?

I think it is absurd that he blames the Catholic schools for trying to survive. Let's face it, it is about survival more than dollars at this point. The bball schools stayed in the game as long as they could. I'm not sure how Geno is able to pontificate on this one blaming the Catholic schools who I don't believe shared in football dollars anyway. This is about big dollars and football, not the Catholic schools banding together to try to remain viable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Geno is a hypocrite. He speaks about voting issues, yet none of the basketball schools were bolting for a bigger and better conference. How about Pitt voting down a big ESPN contract just to submarine the league and then taking off for the ACC?.

I think what Geno has been saying, and quite accurately, is that you've been riding in the cart for quite a long time. And now that the cart isn't quite as plush as you remember, you're gonna boldly strike out on your own.

Been a long, long time since St. John's pulled their weight, sweet pea.

Reaction Score
Geno is a hypocrite. He speaks about voting issues, yet none of the basketball schools were bolting for a bigger and better conference. How about Pitt voting down a big ESPN contract just to submarine the league and then taking off for the ACC?

I think it is absurd that he blames the Catholic schools for trying to survive. Let's face it, it is about survival more than dollars at this point. The bball schools stayed in the game as long as they could. I'm not sure how Geno is able to pontificate on this one blaming the Catholic schools who I don't believe shared in football dollars anyway. This is about big dollars and football, not the Catholic schools banding together to try to remain viable.
Your reading comprehension is pretty duck*ing terrible.

He didn't blame the basketball schools - he basically just called them leeches...which, for all intents and purposes, they are. They've been making money off the football schools for quite awhile, and now that there is no more money, they've decided to leave. What about that statement is inaccurate?

And give me a duck*ing break about the basketball schools' loyalty. What "better conference" would have taken them? The A-10?

St. John's, Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence have done nothing but pull the Big East down for years, while Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova have added very little substantive value. They've been poking little holes in the Big East ship for years now, and they drove the boat into an iceberg on their way out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He didn't blame the basketball schools - he basically just called them leeches...which, for all intents and purposes, they are.

Nah, leeches usually don't kill their hosts. They are parasites.

Reaction Score
I think what Geno has been saying, and quite accurately, is that you've been riding in the cart for quite a long time. And now that the cart isn't quite as plush as you remember, you're gonna boldly strike out on your own.

Been a long, long time since St. John's pulled their weight, sweet pea.

I think he's out of touch. This has nothing to do with the cart being less plush. This has to do with football schools making decisions for basketball schools. All of the additions were to bolster the football side of the league, yet the fact that it's a big clusterfuck has only to do with the schools thinking with their respective helmets.

You think this decision has anything to do with SJU not playing well for a decade or so? Nothing at all. I'm not sure how they are linked. This is about the bastardization of a league that was created around great basketball, which was trashed by upstart nobody football programs. Geno jumped on the cart too. Let's not forget the basketball teams have stood by and watched the exodus and the league become destabilized by the football programs only.

The hypocrisy lies with the fact that Uconn has been petitioning to ditch and join another league, namely the ACC, yet I haven't heard Auriemma condemn that, yet he faults other programs for finding a suitable home and not being displaced at the whim of football programs? Geno has some nerve.

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm pretty sure Geno hasn't been happy with the way Uconn has handled this.

From what he's said, I think he really "blames" Notre Dame, believing that if they had joined the Big East in Football, this wouldn't have happened.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think he's out of touch. This has nothing to do with the cart being less plush. This has to do with football schools making decisions for basketball schools. All of the additions were to bolster the football side of the league, yet the fact that it's a big cluster**** has only to do with the schools thinking with their respective helmets.

You think this decision has anything to do with SJU not playing well for a decade or so? Nothing at all. I'm not sure how they are linked. This is about the bastardization of a league that was created around great basketball, which was trashed by upstart nobody football programs. Geno jumped on the cart too. Let's not forget the basketball teams have stood by and watched the exodus and the league become destabilized by the football programs only.

The hypocrisy lies with the fact that Uconn has been petitioning to ditch and join another league, namely the ACC, yet I haven't heard Auriemma condemn that, yet he faults other programs for finding a suitable home and not being displaced at the whim of football programs? Geno has some nerve.

G-d, you basketball-onlies really do not get it. You people live in 1985.

What school earned 59 credits for the Big East (by my count) since 1990, then watched as schools like St. Johns- which added almost NOTHING- got an equal cut? What school single-handedly kept the Big East relevent for the entire 90's? What school has helped stop the bleeding of cash on the WBB side by attracting sell-out crowds for St. John's WBB home games? What school made WBB relevent enough that St. John's could play WBB at MSG and get a good crowd and a decent gate? What school made it possible for St. John's to get and keep top coaches like Kim Barnes-Arico and Dave Masur, because they wanted to compete against them year-in, year-out, knowing that playing that school ALWAYS brought the biggest crowd and best atmosphere to Queens? What two schools have consistently been SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for selling out Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova games? What schools do you think allowed St. John's to continue recruiting at an elite level? To expand and refurbish Carnasecca Arena? Do you think any of that happens without UConn and Syracuse and Pitt's performances over the last 20 years?

Are you that friggin dense that you believe that? To think that you, or Georgetown, or Villanova, or Seton Hall have a prayer of getting five-figure crowds on your own?

The University of Connecticut and Syracuse University have given more to St. John's University, Georgetown University, Seton Hall University, Providence College and Villanova University in the last twenty years than those schools have given themselves. They took, they took, they took, and gave nothing. Not a thing.

Reaction Score
Had SJU voted for the addition of Penn St all those years ago we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What school single-handedly kept the Big East relevent for the entire 90's?

People forget that. That whole decade, the best two teams in the Big East were UConn and ____.

In the best year the Johnnies have had since Mullen left, they lost to UConn 3 times.

Reaction Score
G-d, you basketball-onlies really do not get it. You people live in 1985.

What school earned 59 credits for the Big East (by my count) since 1990, then watched as schools like St. Johns- which added almost NOTHING- got an equal cut? What school single-handedly kept the Big East relevent for the entire 90's? What school has helped stop the bleeding of cash on the WBB side by attracting sell-out crowds for St. John's WBB home games? What school made WBB relevent enough that St. John's could play WBB at MSG and get a good crowd and a decent gate? What school made it possible for St. John's to get and keep top coaches like Kim Barnes-Arico and Dave Masur, because they wanted to compete against them year-in, year-out, knowing that playing that school ALWAYS brought the biggest crowd and best atmosphere to Queens? What two schools have consistently been SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for selling out Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova games? What schools do you think allowed St. John's to continue recruiting at an elite level? To expand and refurbish Carnasecca Arena? Do you think any of that happens without UConn and Syracuse and Pitt's performances over the last 20 years?

Are you that friggin dense that you believe that? To think that you, or Georgetown, or Villanova, or Seton Hall have a prayer of getting five-figure crowds on your own?

The University of Connecticut and Syracuse University have given more to St. John's University, Georgetown University, Seton Hall University, Providence College and Villanova University in the last twenty years than those schools have given themselves. They took, they took, they took, and gave nothing. Not a thing.

Lol. I never said Uconn didn't accomplish a ton for the league. You underestimate the impact that things like state dollars have for programs like Uconn. Those Catholic schools have a lot of disadvantages in competing in "big sports.".

I just have s problem with Geno lambasting the Catholic schools for doing nothing more than try to survive.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there's any discussion on the Villanova, Georgetown and Marquette boards about the NCAA credits they've earned going to Rutgers, South Florida and maybe even Cincy.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
...I just have s problem with Geno lambasting the Catholic schools for doing nothing more than try to survive.

He didn't lambast the C7 for trying to survive, he lambasted them for leeching until there was nothing left. These schools were praying the BE would stay together when the FB schools were talking about splitting so they could continue to grab their conference share (earned mostly on the results of the FB schools). They then choose to bail when the number of FB schools falls below the number needed to support a conference. I get that this is an every-school-for-itself mentality, but WWJD? :cool:

caw

Reaction Score
I wonder if there's any discussion on the Villanova, Georgetown and Marquette boards about the NCAA credits they've earned going to Rutgers, South Florida and maybe even Cincy.

I bet they complain about PC/SJU/DePaul/Seton Hall more.

Since Cincy and USF have joined the BE in 2005-2006 they have 3 NCAAT appearances. The four Catholics above = 2 over the same time period. So even with Rutgers zero, the three worst producing football schools are still outproducing the non-football schools in basketball. Well OK, I was too lazy to look up credits, but I wouldn't bet on the four Catholics winning there.

Reaction Score
"three worst producing football schools are still outproducing the non-football schools in basketball"

You're pretty sure about that?

zls44

Reaction Score

What's that, like 10 credits total?

zls44

Reaction Score
"three worst producing football schools are still outproducing the non-football schools in basketball"

You're pretty sure about that?

All three of them have also undergone or have plans for massive basketball facility renovations and have greatly improved their recruiting.

Rutgers and DePaul cancel out. That leaves us with Providence/Seton Hall vs Cincinnati/South Florida. The 2012 NCAA Tournament says hello.

BUT DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT IN 1985!!! LOUIE'S SWEATER! CHRIS MULLEN! BILLY D! 1985!!!!

Reaction Score
We've been comparing the top all sports school, UConn, to the bottom basketball only schools. I was simply pointing out that the opposite is true. The top basketball only schools are contributing more than the bottom all sports schools. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is about the bastardization of a league that was created around great basketball, which was trashed by upstart nobody football programs. quote]
Perhaps if they all continued to play great basketball, rather than take decades off to work on cutting other sports programs, the C7 wouldn't be so dependent on nobody football programs carrying the basketball weight.

Reaction Score
Nah, leeches usually don't kill their hosts. They are parasites.
The Catholic schools provided outstanding basketball competition in the BE. Uconn hasn't exactly been completely innocent is all this with one foot out the door begging the ACC for an invitation so we really aren't in a position to throw stones. The Catholic schools are doing exactly what we would do: the best for themselves. Conference loyalty is a joke.

zls44

Reaction Score

Yes, a guy who has made more money in one contract than PC can pay any MBB coach sure must be bitter. He can go independent and go 38-0. Of all the people to be bitter over realignment, he's the last guy.

Again, Providence just doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01