Geno Mic'd Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Mic'd Up

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This group of freshmen is way too talented for Geno to fly THAT flag again this season. Ice is considered a freshman since she has never stepped on the floor of a regulation game. Jana is a freshman. IMO, there’s an excellent chance that one of those two will start that first game in November, or at the very least, a game at some point during the season.
Every early fall when a who will be the starting 5 thread goes up invariably when a freshman appears in somebody's line up this old canard is dragged out and usually with a fair amount of derision. Paige may have finally killed it, but we will see.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
KK with the stiff arm :) She’s going to break some hearts as a Husky. Love the aggressiveness of this freshman class!
Hearts AND ankles Nan, Hearts, and ankles. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Every early fall when a who will be the starting 5 thread goes up invariably when a freshman appears in somebody's line up this old canard is dragged out and usually with a fair amount of derision. Paige may have finally killed it, but we will see.
It's still WAY TOO EARLY to begin to form an INTELLIGENT opinion/take about who the starters will be other than the obvious "locks".....Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah. Too many options. These are only 3 of the 14 options Geno has to choose from. As you say Rocky, there will be lots of conjecture, opinions, and comments about who the other two should be. :cool:

Reaction Score
Team white: Paige #43, Nika #12, Jana #51 and ? Caroline # 45
Team Blue: Azzi, Ines, Ice, Q.Samuels, KK, and some Jana with Blue jersey
Did not see Aaliyah with team Canada, no clear views of Ashlynn nor Aubrey
Injured: Yanna and Amari

correction: recovering from injuries. Also recovering from injuries: Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Brady. They are just further along on their recoveries.

Reaction Score

"She's shooting the ball well" - The 'Nika's not starting' crowd isn't going to like that comment at the end.

She has always been a decent outside shooter when she is wide open and has the time to square up and plant her feet. I'll be impressed when one of the coaches says "I'm shocked when she misses. I assume that every time she shoots it's going in". When the coaches say that I'll consider her a likely starter.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Well I'm not really that great with the camera but I wish the shots were longer. I was disappointed with myself/fandom cuz I really couldn't tell who was taking the shot in some clips. Like I think Azzi makes one off a pass from KK but it was a bit fast.

Also, I feel like I say it every year around this time, but the amount of talent on this team is really mesmerizing. I really wonder how many Geno will play consistently.

Reaction Score
She has always been a decent outside shooter when she is wide open and has the time to square up and plant her feet. I'll be impressed when one of the coaches says "I'm shocked when she misses. I assume that every time she shoots it's going in". When the coaches say that I'll consider her a likely starter.
Wasn't Muhl the second best three point shooter on the team last year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don`t think grumpy Covid season Geno could have imagined rejuvenated 2023-2024 Geno praising Nika`s shooting. :confused:

Reaction Score
For players that averaged at least one attempt per game, Lou shot 44.0% and Nika shot 34.3%. Azzi was behind them at 34.0% and Caroline behind Azzi at 33.8%.

Why didn't you say that in your 1st post? I answered your question as it was asked. Here are two reasons I think you are wrong.

1. You said "on the team" Senechal, Bueckers, Ducharme and Fudd were all on the team and are far better. So the answer is no. A thousand times no.

2. Limiting it to players who played, Senechal was the No 1 and Fudd was No 2. In 15 games played Fudd averaged over 2 made 3's/game while Muhl averaged less than 1/game.

Reaction Score
Why didn't you say that in your 1st post? I answered your question as it was asked. Here are two reasons I think you are wrong.

1. You said "on the team" Senechal, Bueckers, Ducharme and Fudd were all on the team and are far better. So the answer is no. A thousand times no.

2. Limiting it to players who played, Senechal was the No 1 and Fudd was No 2. In 15 games played Fudd averaged over 2 made 3's/game while Muhl averaged less than 1/game.
How can it be no when statistically 34.4% is higher than 34.0% and 33.8%. Fudd only averaged more made threes per game because she had more attempts. That said, I believe we will all be shocked and perhaps disappointed if Nika shots a higher percentage than Azzi this coming season, unless they are both north of 40%!

Reaction Score
How can it be no when statistically 34.4% is higher than 34.0% and 33.8%. Fudd only averaged more made threes per game because she had more attempts. That said, I believe we will all be shocked and perhaps disappointed if Nika shots a higher percentage than Azzi this coming season, unless they are both north of 40%!

No offense but why am I discussing 3 pt shooting with an SEC fan? Now that I noticed your conference affiliation I can understand your inability to appreciate great 3pt shooting or even to recognize it. :rolleyes:

On a pure statistical basis Edwards is the best 3pt shooter on the team. Fudd made more because she took more shots than Edwards. Right?

There is a universe of difference between a) spotting up behind the arc with no one within 8' of you and shooting a set shot two seconds after getting the ball, and b) coming off a double low screen, sprinting to the arc and getting off a 3 a half second after touching the ball. But then you are an SEC fan so I make allowances. :D

Reaction Score
Stats don’t tell the whole story… ever. Who did the team look to for the desperation shot at the end of of halves? Nika made one of those last season, but it was often Azzi when she was on the floor. I’m sure her shooting stats suffered for it.

Reaction Score

I would guess that given the small sample size there is no difference (statistically) between the three shooting %'s. And %-wise, Edwards is 100%, strictly speaking statistically.

Reaction Score
KK with the stiff arm :) She’s going to break some hearts as a Husky. Love the aggressiveness of this freshman class!
I also liked the way she pushed the guy out of there, but in a game (other than football) that's a foul.

Reaction Score
No I don’t believe so. She has said she has t been cleared for uncontained full court 5 on 5… this was definitely halfcourt drill work.

Reaction Score
So that is the bar for Nika at this point, she needs to be the best shooter on the team? Perhaps you haven't noticed but scoring is not the primary criteria the coaches have/will use as to why Nika will start. The only concern related to her scoring is that she forces the defense not to play off her (which she clearly accomplished this past season). She has and will start due to her ability to take seconds off the opponents clock by disrupting their ability to get into their offensive sets, continuously pushing pace to allow us to dictate the flow and rhythm of the game and to position and find her teammates to gives us the best scoring opportunities.

If Nika showed up this season with a focus on scoring at the expense of her proven strengths she wouldn't start. This past season she significantly rose her scoring average, drives to the basket, foul shot attempts and % while setting atleast three all time Husky assist records and repeated as BE DPOY. Ask Dawn Staley if the strategy against the Huskies, with Nika at the point should be to play off her! Probably really doesn't matter to the coaches as to what you think but I can guarantee that their bar is not to be able to say "I'm shocked when she misses. I assume that every time she shoots it's going in". That has been and will continue to be their expectation for both Paige and Azzi. As Geno has said we just need Nika to be Nika while adding the observation that he doesn't believe you can win a championship without a kid like her on the team.

Reaction Score
If Nika has always been a decent shoot from outside when she is wide open, why do people keep making the agruement people will leave her to double Paige/Azzi/Aaliyah? Clearly they won't because she has proven she is a good enough shooter that she can't be left wide open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom