Geno just dropped the ball ... | The Boneyard

Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gatorade player of the year in Connecticut twice. Three state championships. McDonald's All American. What's there to wait on?

Reaction Score
Gatorade player of the year in Connecticut twice. Three state championships. McDonald's All American. What's there to wait on?
She has done NOTHING in college yet. Also CT player of the year means very little considering the landscape of HS basketball in CT and I can list many McDonalds All Americans who did not pan out in college.

Reaction Score
Great credentials. However, Collier and Boykin were in that recruiting class and their was no room for Gillespie.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. Gillespie will have a great career at Maryland and will more than likely be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.

Reaction Score
Tar and feather Geno!!

I'm extremely amused at how certain you are a player will be a star when she has zero collegiate experience.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Time will tell. Gillespie will have a great career at Maryland and will more than likely be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.
Really? Well I wish her the best. That "dreams" part of your handle seems to be quite appropriate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well as we've discussed before, there did not seem to be much interest either side. So it would seem Gillespie "dropped the ball" about as much as Geno.

Some people.

images

Reaction Score
As for credentials.............Oregon H.S. player of the year ("one of the top recruits in the nation, a finalist for the Naismith High School Player of the Year Award and a consensus All-American") recruited by Geno. Could not play at the college level. Remember ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As for credentials...Oregon H.S. player of the year ("one of the top recruits in the nation, a finalist for the Naismith High School Player of the Year Award and a consensus All-American") recruited by Geno. Could not play at the college level. Remember ?
Arnold?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Well as we've discussed before, there did not seem to be much interest either side. So it would seem Gillespie "dropped the ball" about as much as Geno.

Some people.

images
Does anyone know if ever actually attended any of the practices she was invited to? I know if I were invited, I'd be there with bells on draped in a UConn Huskies flag.

Reaction Score
Some recruits just don't want to put the amount work in that would be demanded by Geno at UCONN. I'm not sure if that is the case with Kiah Gillespie, but that could be one reason for her not coming to UCONN to think about!

Reaction Score
I'll trust his judgement, his record is pretty consistent. Can he "drop the ball"? Sure, we all can.

Reaction Score

May have a good career at Maryland - but not at all certain she will be better than any of the current UConn frosh. Very unlikely she will be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. Kiah was a great HS player and will be a great collegiate player just like Alyssa Thomas. Geno let a 5-star player get out of his back yard. Didn't do a good job recruiting KG

Reaction Score
Perhaps being successful someplace is about talent and the opportunity. UConn successfully recruited a young woman with Connecticut ties last year who was also a MacDonalds All-American and very talented but realized early that maybe there wasn't the opportunity to be that here and subsequently transferred. Maybe there was a similar and earlier recognition by both parties in her case? Just guessing. I hope she has a great career and enjoys her college experience.

Reaction Score
I watched her play a number of times and the article makes reference to it....she plays NO defense. She also lacks effort on the court, at times. She's a very skilled offensive player. But, Geno looks for ladies that play on both ends of the floor. Even if they're not good defenders (i.e., KML), they show effort and hustle. Kiah may end up being a very good player at Maryland, but she doesn't fit the UConn mold.

Reaction Score
I watched her play a number of times and the article makes reference to it....she plays NO defense. She also lacks effort on the court, at times. She's a very skilled offensive player. But, Geno looks for ladies that play on both ends of the floor. Even if they're not good defenders (i.e., KML), they show effort and hustle. Kiah may end up being a very good player at Maryland, but she doesn't fit the UConn mold.

"she plays NO defense. She also lacks effort on the court, at times. She's a very skilled offensive player."

Hmmm..sounds like a prototypical South Carolina player....or Baylor...or TU...or Duke...or....

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
"she plays NO defense. She also lacks effort on the court, at times. She's a very skilled offensive player."

Hmmm..sounds like a prototypical South Carolina player....or Baylor...or TU...or Duke...or....
Besides a general bash at other contending teams, I'm really not sure why you would post this comment. Baylor, South Carolina, and Tennessee are actually very good defensive teams. South Carolina allowed the 4th fewest points per possession in the country, while Baylor was 12th and Tennessee was 15th. Duke's defense was ranked 24th, which is also better than another contending team that you did NOT mention, Notre Dame (ranked 36th).

Offensively, South Carolina ranked second in points per possession last season, with Baylor 5th, ND 6th, Tennessee 16th, and Duke pulling up the rear at 51st. Of course Duke did not have a PG last season, so I expect their offensive efficiency to increase this season.

Or were you commenting on the lack of effort expended by players of other teams? That's certainly more difficult to quantify so I will not comment on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom