Geno has something to say to the Caroline doubters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno has something to say to the Caroline doubters

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not to defend or detract, and I was not a naysayer...but she is a different player this year than last. Things said over the summer were about the player of last season. This is a new season and NEW CD.
There have been comments such as the ones Geno mentioned on the Boneyard in the last week.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There have been comments such as the ones Geno mentioned on the Boneyard in the last week.
Yes, there have been. the difference between here the Courant and the ESPN board is the amount of virulence with which those thoughts are expressed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I don't know what makes me happier, the fact that Caroline is playing great and contributing a lot, or that it shuts up all the idiots that wonder why she's starting, why's she's playing so many minutes and how much someone else would be better than her," Auriemma said.

Tell us what you really think, Geno. LOL

No. 1 Huskies Cruise Past Oregon, 95-51

Love this. Does Geno read the Boneyard?

Reaction Score
Love this. Does Geno read the Boneyard?
He doesn't admit to it, but the world is full of idiots....they're everywhere! It's hard to stand out when there's so much quality competition. I'll bet Geno has heard many idiotic comments from various sources during his tenure.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is not going to be one of my more popular posts, but I'm going to say it anyway.

If "idiots" are questioning whether she should be starting, does Geno lump himself in that category? After all, he made a decision to bring Caroline off the bench. Yes, he reversed the decision, but that seemed to be more about how Breanna played and what he thought she needed than Caroline's play earning her the right to start again. In fact, I think both players responded poorly; Caroline was simply not a factor against UMD or Penn State.

It's great that Caroline played at such a high level against Oregon, but her numbers against quality opposition have been less-than-stellar:

A&M- 5 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 TOs
Purdue- 3 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TOs
Maryland- 0 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 TOs
Penn State- 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 TOs
Stanford- 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 TO

That is not filling up a stat sheet.

Now, to be fair, a lot of what she brings to the table is maturity, steadiness, and an ability to get the offense set at points when it's being pressured. Those things don't necessarily show up on a stat sheet. That being said, she is going to have to step it up against more athletic backcourts such as Baylor, Notre Dame, and Duke. Certainly, everyone who roots for UConn hopes she does and would be very happy for her if she did. And it's quite possible that UConn's national championship hopes depend on it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
This is not going to be one of my more popular posts, but I'm going to say it anyway.

If "idiots" are questioning whether she should be starting, does Geno lump himself in that category? After all, he made a decision to bring Caroline off the bench. Yes, he reversed the decision, but that seemed to be more about how Breanna played and what he thought she needed than Caroline's play earning her the right to start again. In fact, I think both players responded poorly; Caroline was simply not a factor against UMD or Penn State.

It's great that Caroline played at such a high level against Oregon, but her numbers against quality opposition have been less-than-stellar:

Now, to be fair, a lot of what she brings to the table is maturity, steadiness, and an ability to get the offense set at points when it's being pressured. Those things don't necessarily show up on a stat sheet. That being said, she is going to have to step it up against more athletic backcourts such as Baylor, Notre Dame, and Duke. Certainly, everyone who roots for UConn hopes she does and would be very happy for her if she did. And it's quite possible that UConn's national championship hopes depend on it.

This is the same point as was made about Kelly last year. Folks look at the scoring, and maybe some of the other stats, but they do not look at intangibles. In Caroline's case, the offense obviously runs more smoothly when she is out there and this certainly is so key. Leadership and effort seem not to be as important to some folks as a well stocked stat sheet.

Points win games....why, yes they do...but plays have to be set up, and experience on the floor helps get the points in the bucket and keeps the team focused.

Reaction Score

very well expressed. i was thinking a bit of the same re geno and he not starting her.

Reaction Score
Caroline plays on a team with Breanna Stewart, KML, Bria Hartley, and Stefanie Dolson, and now Kelly is starting to look for her shot. Caroline knows her place in the offense. She doesn't force things, she just does her part to run the machine. She's been playing well even if her stats don't show it against the top teams.

Reaction Score
I don't think I've seen a lot of thoughts on what would happen if Caroline started playing somewhere near her old standard. To me, she's been moving so much better than last year. The shots just didn't seem to be falling like they used to fall. Caroline was definitely one of those players that when she shot the ball you just thought it was going in. If she can start hitting shots in addition to her other contributions, that would be huge.

Geno's right, I'm back on the bandwagon. Yes, that's also an admission that I'm one of the idiots that questioned why she was starting and playing so many minutes.
Bravo for you!!!!!!!! I've been known to make mistakes and sometimes put my foot in my mouth but to own up to it is quite impressive! Thanks for your admission.

Reaction Score
And one of those sources is e-mail. One of the perks of having a publicly available e-mail address. In the past has he has referred to some of the e-mails he gets.
He doesn't admit to it, but the world is full of idiots....they're everywhere! It's hard to stand out when there's so much quality competition. I'll bet Geno has heard many idiotic comments from various sources during his tenure.

Reaction Score
Geno returned Breanna to the bench when both Kiah and Morgan were injured. Geno may not spoken about it in this way, but he went from having too many posts players to too few, which pretty much made the Breanna and Caroline swap the obvious solution for a team with suddenly far more guard depth than post depth. It didn't really have much to do with how either player's play leading up to the switch. Just like when Caroline was swapped out of the starting lineup earlier it didn't have anything to do with her play or Geno's confidence in her. It was a numbers game.

This is not going to be one of my more popular posts, but I'm going to say it anyway. If "idiots" are questioning whether she should be starting, does Geno lump himself in that category? After all, he made a decision to bring Caroline off the bench. Yes, he reversed the decision, but that seemed to be more about how Breanna played and what he thought she needed than Caroline's play earning her the right to start again. In fact, I think both players responded poorly; Caroline was simply not a factor against UMD or Penn State.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not sure if one good game against a lesser opponent is going to change the minds of many. Mulkey's daughter hit 7 of 8 three pointers against Hawai'i and finished the game with 23 points, but that didn't impact my opinion about her abilities. She had one of those games where she was in the zone and couldn't miss.

No, I am not comparing Doty to Robertson, as Doty is a much better player, but I am just saying that one good game is not going to suddenly convince people that they are idiots. Plus, most idiots will never admits that they are idiots...that's was makes us...I mean them, idiots.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not sure if one good game against a lesser opponent is going to change the minds of many. Mulkey's daughter hit 7 of 8 three pointers against Hawai'i and finished the game with 23 points, but that didn't impact my opinion about her abilities. She had one of those games where she was in the zone and couldn't miss.

No, I am not comparing Doty to Robertson, as Doty is a much better player, but I am just saying that one good game is not going to suddenly convince people that the are idiots. Plus, most idiots will never admits that they are idiots...that's was makes us...I mean them, idiots.
It's not one good game. She plays well every game but the things she does won't show up in the box score, things like making the offense flow more smoothly and keeping the young players calm. She's capable of doing what she did against Oregon every game but with younger players like Bria, Kaleena, Breanna, et al, she hasn't had to. But when the other players didn't have it against Oregon, she cranked it up and filled up the box score.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's not one good game. She plays well every game but the things she does won't show up in the box score, things like making the offense flow more smoothly and keeping the young players calm. She's capable of doing what she did often but with younger players like Bria, Kaleena Breanna, et al, she hasn't had to. But when the other players didn't have it, she ramped up her game and filled up the box score.

My apologies...I should have said one good offensive game.

Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla
Geno says he's never seen Caroline Doty ever play a better game - 14 pts, 12 rebounds, seven assists in 26 minutes #UConnwomen
I absolutely agree with Geno's comments and posts supporting CD! I was so happy with CD's dominating performance against Oregon. Those who have watched her performances know what she has been
contributing. The ST game may have been a prelude for Carolyn to her play against OR! She had 14PTS,12RBS,7ASSTS,/2TOS,4STS,2BLS WOW:p Her play against ST, if you watched the game
4 times as I have,showed why she is one of the 6 "starters" ! Her stats did not adequeately show how
well she played!

I love it. I get so tired of the arm chair couches who doubt and judge these kids. Last year it was Kelly...and all summer it was this about Caroline. I am glad that he said it. She's terrific.
Those of us who have been posting and praising Kelly since she was a FR absolutely agree!!
The 2 SRS< excluding HB who contributes in her own way> CD*and KF along with JRS Steff and Bria are 4 of the
6 starters SO KML a future AA and Stewie FR future AA and player of the year are the other 2!

Watch what happens on SAT;) It is going to be an opportunity for the players/team to
show Chiney,and a National Audience on CBS that the #5 Team is going down in the same manner as ST did!!!
As great as the perfomance was SAT,we can play even better and we will.
Ira

Reaction Score
Actually, the only negative criticism Caroline receives here is in reference her performance in the big games in which she has been, quite frankly, overmatched. The criticisms, specualtion about her starting, etc.. does not necessarily make us idiots. Critical fans? Converned fans? But, we all want nothing but success for Ms Doty. Success, at least, for me, is just being on the floor contributing. Or even on the bench contributing.

It is great that Coach Auriemma comes out in defense of his 5th year senior; It is what a coach is supposed to do. This time next week, let's hope that we are continuing along this vein. Let's face it, Notre Dame is a little better than Oregon. In 30 years, Oregon has had three honorable mention all americans, 2 Pac 10 Players of the Year, and 12 NCAA Tournament appearances; their last one coming in 2005. In other words, let's not get too carried away. Some of us here were very critical of her recently graduate roommate for similar performances.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Big games? How about the 2010 NC game? Played the 2nd most minutes after Maya and hit two killer 3's at the end of the game. Give me a break. Girl has had THREE major knee surgeries but she just doesn't measure up to some to some.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Okay, here are the facts from the Stanford game: Doty started and played until the first media timeout, or 4:27. At that time, the score was 5-5, every starter had taken a shot, except Doty. In that time, Doty had one assist, one def. rebound, and one foul. By the time Doty came back in, five minutes later, the score was 20-7, led by Stewart, Doty's replacement.

So, that's what happened, take it for what its worth.

I, for one, am thrilled that Doty had a great game against Oregon. The more offensive contributors the better. She deserves a chance to play up to her potential, given all that she has been through.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Okay, here are the facts from the Stanford game: Doty started and played until the first media timeout, or 4:27. At that time, the score was 5-5, every starter had taken a shot, except Doty. In that time, Doty had one assist, one def. rebound, and one foul. By the time Doty came back in, five minutes later, the score was 20-7, led by Stewart, Doty's replacement.

So, that's what happened, take it for what its worth.

I, for one, am thrilled that Doty had a great game against Oregon. The more offensive contributors the better. She deserves a chance to play up to her potential, given all that she has been through.
As was said the stat line of the Stanford game caught nothing of what Caroline did. Breanna was awesome but she and Caroline had different roles and the transition of those roles on the court is a game dynamic that may well have occurred, specifically, because both were played and performed the roles they did. Geno, specifically, commented on Caroline's excellent game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As was said the stat line of the Stanford game caught nothing of what Caroline did. Breanna was awesome but she and Caroline had different roles and the transition of those roles on the court is a game dynamic that may well have occurred, specifically, because both were played and performed the roles they did. Geno, specifically, commented on Caroline's excellent game.
Irrelevant to what Alum posted.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Big games? How about the 2010 NC game? Played the 2nd most minutes after Maya and hit two killer 3's at the end of the game. Give me a break. Girl has had THREE major knee surgeries but she just doesn't measure up to some to some.

Thanks, Pap - you beat me to the same point! Without Caroline backing up Maya, there wouldn't have been a championship ring that year! I think some people have to find a perceived weakness on this team or they are not happy.
I also think there are too many who look too far ahead, and don't appreciate our team right now. The future may be bright, but we are in the middle of the 2012-13 season now. (Live in the present is what I'm saying...)

I am thrilled for Caroline that she is having a great Senior year. We will miss her and Kelly more than we realize!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Irrelevant to what Alum posted.
Not really, as I read it I thought he passed over Caroline's excellent play against Stanford too quickly.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Pap - you beat me to the same point! Without Caroline backing up Maya, there wouldn't have been a championship ring that year! I think some people have to find a perceived weakness on this team or they are not happy.

---- It was Maya, and not Caroline, who saved UConn in the 2010 NC game. Maya scored 23 points on 9/18 shooting. She was the only UConn player in double figures. Caroline, on the other hand, was 3/11 (2/8 from three) from the field for
eight points. Caroline's three field goals in the NC game are as follows: At 12:03 in the second half Caroline made a layup. Before the shot, UConn led by 3. At 5:24 Caroline made a 3-pointer; before that shot UConn led by 12. At 2:40 Caroline made another 3-pointer, which extended UConn's lead to 16. After that, UConn played not-to-lose, and Stanford was able to reduce the lead to 6 as time expired. To say that Caroline rescued UConn from the jaws of defeat is nothing short of nonsense.

It is really nice to see CD playing well and making a contribution, especially given the adversity she has endured. I don't think she would want anyone to resort to fiction to improve her legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom