Geno has something to say to the Caroline doubters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno has something to say to the Caroline doubters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it was great to see caroline's performance against oregon. she has been moving so much better as the season's progressed, and looks like she'll be a bigger factor in this season than we might have expected. this discussion would never have occured, or taken on the tone it has, if geno had not made his "idiots" comment. too bad he didn't just gush about caroline, and let it go at that. but that's not his style.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I didn't say she rescued UConn from the jaws of defeat. I said she backed up Maya. My memory of that game is that until Caroline started to make shots, Maya was the only one scoring. Perhaps my memory is faulty,per you, but one thing I will always remember is the joy on Caroline's face as the confetti dropped. (IIRC, someone on the board used to use that shot as their avatar.)

If you wish to take my observations as projections that do not meet your standards, enjoy!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really, as I read it I thought he passed over Caroline's excellent play against Stanford too quickly.
Yea, really.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not really, as I read it I thought he passed over Caroline's excellent play against Stanford too quickly.
I didn't want to get too far into this, for fear of offending someone, but let me try to clarify. Based on the first 10 minutes of the Stanford game, one could understand the reason why some people believe that Stewart should start over Doty. The stats are quite clear. Now, you claim that the stats don't tell the whole story. So, basically, you rely on stats when they support your position, but dismiss stats when they don't? How does that work, exactly? Doty's overall stats for the game weren't that great, as I remember, without looking them up. She may very well have made contributions that don't show up on the stat sheet, but that's very subjective.

I did not get to see the Oregon game (blacked out in our area), but it appears she finally got some confidence in her shot, which is terrific. I am really happy for her. The last thing I want to do is Doty bashing, I really really hope she keeps her confidence high going forward. She clearly has Geno's full support. (I highly doubt that she really cares what I think.)

Reaction Score
Doty, IMO, didn't have a terrific game against Stanford. That would imply that she played close to what she's capable of playing, and I don't think she did. That's not to say that she played poorly (although, she was the worst of the main rotation.)

And that's not Doty bashing. I think Dolson played a terrific game against Stanford. I thought pretty much everyone else had some good moments but was essentially subpar. Which makes this team scary, because they won by over 25 against the then #1.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The good thing about starting Doty is that it allows Breanna to see the flow of the game and then come in and make an impact. Geno has always done this with freshmen when he has the luxury. If Doty is in there, the team is steady, things aren't crashing and burning, Geno can put in Stewart at the first timeout and she doesn't have the pressure she would as a starter. When she does have a good shooting game, it's a bonus. But Geno isn't counting on her for offense. I think if Faris hadn't stepped up this year with her shooting we might be looking at a different situation. But she has, so this is where we are. And Doty plays a very valuable role. She is always talking to the younger players, she always calls out what defense they are in, who has which player, etc. She is the first to start a huddle after a dead ball. This is a great way to start off a game, and Geno knows that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't want to get too far into this, for fear of offending someone, but let me try to clarify. Based on the first 10 minutes of the Stanford game, one could understand the reason why some people believe that Stewart should start over Doty. The stats are quite clear. Now, you claim that the stats don't tell the whole story. So, basically, you rely on stats when they support your position, but dismiss stats when they don't? How does that work, exactly? Doty's overall stats for the game weren't that great, as I remember, without looking them up. She may very well have made contributions that don't show up on the stat sheet, but that's very subjective.

I did not get to see the Oregon game (blacked out in our area), but it appears she finally got some confidence in her shot, which is terrific. I am really happy for her. The last thing I want to do is Doty bashing, I really really hope she keeps her confidence high going forward. She clearly has Geno's full support. (I highly doubt that she really cares what I think.)

Stats can tell a story and there is information there that can be helpful. they can help us understand how well a player or a team shoot from distance. But stats only measure what they are designed to measure and they do not measure all aspects of the game. Among things stats presently do not measure is the number of screens or picks set. Directing of players into positions on the court. Controlling and establishing a desired pace of play. Players turned to help defenders. Plays disrupted on defense, including balls poked away resulting in a steal by others. Rebounds tipped out. Plus more.

I agree it is understandable why some people might think Caroline didn't have a good game based on simply the stats you cite but watching the game it was quite clear she was doing many things very well. Geno himself affirmed that very fact after the game commending Caroline's play as excellent. Geno is hardly afraid to criticize players (see Bria) when he isn't getting from them what he wants or expects.

Caroline has had confidence in her shot this year. It might surprise many but she is second on the team in 3pt shots attempted (38) in only 17.4 minutes a game at almost shooting 40% on 3s (.395). I consider that confident and solid.

I did not think you were Doty bashing.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Pap - you beat me to the same point! Without Caroline backing up Maya, there wouldn't have been a championship ring that year! I think some people have to find a perceived weakness on this team or they are not happy.
I also think there are too many who look too far ahead, and don't appreciate our team right now. The future may be bright, but we are in the middle of the 2012-13 season now. (Live in the present is what I'm saying...)

I am thrilled for Caroline that she is having a great Senior year. We will miss her and Kelly more than we realize!

Of Caroline's three field goals, all in the second half of that 2010 National Championship game, only the drive to the hoop late in the shot clock was of any significance. She scored on the drive to the lane at 12:30 to make it 29-22, hit a three pointer at 5:25 to make it 44-29, then hit her final three pointer at 2:39 to make it 47-31.
Prior to the Doty layup:
Kalana Greene made one of two free throws, 13-20
Maya Moore hit the jumper from the left elbow after rebounding a Tiffany Hayesa miss, 15-20
Maya Moore hit the jumper off glass from the right side, 17-20
Kalana Greene hit the layup and one, 20-22
Maya Moore hit hit the three from the top of the key left side, 23-22
Maya Moore hits a jumper from the elbow right side, 25-22
Maya Moore hits the layup in transition 27-22.

Prior to the Doty three pointers:
Tina Charles jumper from the free throw line, 31-25
Maya Moore layup on the putback, 33-25
Tina Charles jumper and one, 36-27
Tina Charles powers up a layup 38-27
Maya Moore three pointer, 41-29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors