Geno has his starting 5, or does he?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno has his starting 5, or does he??

Reaction Score
Makurat and Griffith played their first college game, not against great opposition, but they worked well with team unless Evina wins appeal, I see them as 5th and 6th players, getting extra time going in for Williams as well. We are going to play fast in transition. NC? Unlikely but who knows what these two are going to be like come March.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A couple player thoughts

Dangerfield, Walker, Williams are exactly what we thought, with the one interesting development is Walker (finally) committing to improving her body. She looks much quicker to the ball and was a beast all game.

ONO is a completely different player. At her absolute worst, she is going to be a bigger and slightly more athletic version of Kiah Stokes - she's easily an all-conference 1st teamer and I was just really impressed by her rapid improvement.

Anna Makurat - You never quite know what you are getting with freshmen, but you could tell she had played high level basketball before. She showed high poise, great offensive skill and finishing ability, particularly for her size - she is all of 6'1 - and if reports of her being a strong shooter are true, even though she missed all 5 of her treys tonight you can mark her down for 10-15 ppg just on finishing and shooting. She's a great great 4 year program player. Plays like a senior.

Audrey Griffin - YIKES - She is a bouncy and twitchy athlete at a long 6'1. Clearly has no clue what she is doing on offense at the moment, constantly got caught between a 12 foot jumper and a weird careening move toward the hoop, but once Geno helps her find her role, she could easily be Gabby Williams #2, just taller and rangier. If she can just lock down on defense and grab offensive rebounds this year she'll be a big contributor.

Bent, Irwin, Adebayo - I mean they are solid program players. If they can combine to give us 20-30 minutes of solid play, hit their open shots, and just hold their own we will be in a good spot.
Agree with most of your assessments except that part about Megan "(finally) committing to improving her body" is not accurate. Megan came into to UCONN as a freshmen in great shape, last off season she pumped weights with Barbara Turner and was also in great shape. This season she is noticeably slimmer and moving quicker, her conditioning is and has always been top notch.

Aubrey Griffin on ball defense was outstanding and is exactly what UCONN has needed since Kia Nurse graduated. She doesn't gamble, makes great use of her length and moves her feet very very well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think there is at least one dilemma for this team that needs to be worked out. The 5th starter is going to be critical as @Alydar has said Anna has the size to play in the post but I don't know if that's the right move. A slim down Megan is a commitment to play on the wing. Kyla is the only post backup to ONO with Batouly heading off to surgery. Might as well start Kyla until everyone else catches up. Kyla is a good enough perimeter threat and the ball seems to move better with her in the game.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think there is at least on dilemma for this team that need to be worked out. The 5th starter is going to be critical as @Alydar has said Anna has the size to play in the post but I don't know if that's the right move. A slim down Megan is a commitment to play on the wing. Kyla is the only post backup to ONO with Batouly heading off to surgery. Might as well start Kyla until everyone else catches up. Kyla is a good enough perimeter threat and the ball seems to move better with her in the game.
I always feel that, at the very least, Kyla won’t hurt the team when she’s in. I don’t have many reservations when Kyla is in with the starters

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree with most of your assessments except that part about Megan "(finally) committing to improving her body" is not accurate. Megan came into to UCONN as a freshmen in great shape, last off season she pumped weights with Barbara Turner and was also in great shape. This season she is noticeably slimmer and moving quicker, her conditioning is and has always been top notch.
I agree about Meg's conditioning. I think effort, not conditioning, was a problem her first year. Last year, after an off-season of bulking up, she was very muscular and not fat at all. As noted, she worked out with Barb Turner and also worked out with and impressed Alex Bazzell. This year, Megan is leaner. Hopefully, that helps her quickness and elevation.

Reaction Score
Megan played only 25 mins and has 28 pts. This is almost DT, Maya and Stewart level.
Although this is an exhibition game but she is huge and our top scorer this year.
Maybe, maybe not...

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Performance wise there is not much to extrapolate from this game. I would not get too excited about the good performances because of the competition, nor too down on the bad performances in the first exhibition game of the year. However, there were three noteworthy things I took away.

The one negative was Adebayo being the last off the bench. I am not bothered by her performance in one early exhibition game, but the role she typically plays is the role we need. It cannot be a good sign that despite that she was saved for last.

Though I do not take away much from ONO's performance against this opponent, it's obvious she brings what we really have lacked the past three years. We all know how great and relentless Collier was as a defender, but there's a difference between a shot blocker who surprises people with her skill and athleticism and a shot blocker who intimidates simply by owning the paint. Opponent's offenses are going to be disrupted and changed because of ONO, independently of whether she becomes the best defender out there or not.

Whenever Makurat was in the game she was the one designated to take the ball out of bounds, as a "freshmen," even when she was in with the "core four." Her predecessors in this department were Samuelson and Stewart. I think Griffin has a higher ceiling, perhaps may even prove more valuable as a freshman. Yet Auriemma traditionally goes with the "reliable" starting line-up over starting the best five. Think Webber over Sales. Or Ralph coming off the bench as a freshman (which used to drive Budfrog nuts, where is he these days?) I think it's a pretty good bet Makurat remains our fifth starter, even if she does not prove to be our fifth best player.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Performance wise there is not much to extrapolate from this game. I would not get too excited about the good performances because of the competition, nor too down on the bad performances in the first exhibition game of the year.

A worthy summary as usual. But, despite your initial postulate above, with your extensive experience on the Boneyard, you know that nowhere else can you find so many who can extrapolate a plane from a single point.

arch

Reaction Score
ONO today reminded me of Mercedes Russell, except ONO has quicker feet, runs the court better, is a better rebounder and a better shooter. :)
This may be my favorite post .... ever.

Reaction Score
ONO today reminded me of Mercedes Russell, except ONO has quicker feet, runs the court better, is a better rebounder and a better shooter. :)
Haha. Just like her — except she is quicker and can run, rebound and shoot
:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
It was somewhat humorous pre-game; Ana didn't know the routines and got hit in the head with a pass at one juncture. CD was actually out there teaching her the routine; by the end of the warmup, she had it down!! I was not surprised; Geno certainly wouldn't spend practice time on that.

Reaction Score
Griffin and McClean are going to cause absolute havoc for opposing offenses next year!

don't forget about Muhl who is a defensive wizard and that other guard from the North who has been known to steal a pass or two.........

Reaction Score
Anna Makurat had a poor game shooting, but she was clearly a force to be reckoned with. She is a big presence that clearly makes it tough on opponents. How would you like your first exhibition game to end for you a plus 50? She's the fifth starter unless she gets injured. Her shooting will settle down and she is going to do great things.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anna Makurat had a poor game shooting, but she was clearly a force to be reckoned with. She is a big presence that clearly makes it tough on opponents. How would you like your first exhibition game to end for you a plus 50? She's the fifth starter unless she gets injured. Her shooting will settle down and she is going to do great things.
For the most part, I liked what I saw from Anna, but right now there is a fierce competition from just about everyone not named Crystal, Megan, Christyn or Liv for that 5th starting spot. Aubrey and Kyla are both in the mix, with Molly just behind. I wouldn’t rule out Evelyn just yet as she learns how to excel in Geno’s system. Finally, if Evina’s waiver request is granted on appeal, all bets are off.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For the most part, I liked what I saw from Anna, but right now there is a fierce competition from just about everyone not named Crystal, Megan, Christyn or Liv for that 5th starting spot. Aubrey and Kyla are both in the mix, with Molly just behind. I wouldn’t rule out Evelyn just yet as she learns how to excel in Geno’s system. Finally, if Evina’s waiver request is granted on appeal, all bets are off.

Right now, I see Anna with a good grip on the 5th starting position.

The way geno describes Anna makes it clear he likes her basketball IQ, her strength, flexibility and a tough shooting game never dissuades Geno. And he likes (though he did not explicitly say that but his smile says enough) that she takes mistakes very hard.

Aubrey clearly has great ability but needs to learn alot. Keeping her on the bench to observe, get side line tutoring before entering the game and providing the proverbial energy spike off the bench seems ideal. And Kyla and Molly continue to exacerbate me. They maybe among the best 3pt shooters on the team but when entering the game in the first half, they still seem so passive to me. Most of their stats come in the 4Q (and they both can shoot and do other things).

Reaction Score

Aubrey Griffin on ball defense was outstanding and is exactly what UCONN has needed since Kia Nurse graduated. She doesn't gamble, makes great use of her length and moves her feet very very well.

I agree, I think Megan realized she got a little too big(muscle wise) last year and made a decision to come in leaner and quicker this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now, I see Anna with a good grip on the 5th starting position.

The way geno describes Anna makes it clear he likes her basketball IQ, her strength, flexibility and a tough shooting game never dissuades Geno. And he likes (though he did not explicitly say that but his smile says enough) that she takes mistakes very hard.

Aubrey clearly has great ability but needs to learn alot. Keeping her on the bench to observe, get side line tutoring before entering the game and providing the proverbial energy spike off the bench seems ideal. And Kyla and Molly continue to exacerbate me. They maybe among the best 3pt shooters on the team but when entering the game in the first half, they still seem so passive to me. Most of their stats come in the 4Q (and they both can shoot and do other things).
Of course the thing we don’t see is practice. Geno made it very clear in his postgame comments that Anna earned the start in practice. But he’s got to be intrigued with Aubrey’s play yesterday and while Kyla doesn’t possess the athleticism of others, she was 3/3 from the arc, has an extremely high basketball IQ and the offense flows better when she’s in the game.

This year may just unfold like the 15-16 season when UConn had 4 staters returning and Gabby, Pheesa & Lou all took turns as the 5th starter. The upside is that by the time the Big Dance rolls around in March, UConn could field an exceptionally deep team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree, I think Megan realized she got a little too big(muscle wise) last year and made a decision to come in leaner and quicker this year.
Don’t confuse lean with less muscle. Megan is considerably stronger this year.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This conversation is why I'm so curious about next year's starting lineup.

We lose Crystal, either Anna or Aubrey will have likely earned the fifth starter role this year and have earned a year of trust in Geno's book, Evina will definitely be eligible, and Paige will come to town.

I know it's a year away and I know we have a long season in front of us, but...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Reaction Score
A couple player thoughts

Dangerfield, Walker, Williams are exactly what we thought, with the one interesting development is Walker (finally) committing to improving her body. She looks much quicker to the ball and was a beast all game.

ONO is a completely different player. At her absolute worst, she is going to be a bigger and slightly more athletic version of Kiah Stokes - she's easily an all-conference 1st teamer and I was just really impressed by her rapid improvement.

Anna Makurat - You never quite know what you are getting with freshmen, but you could tell she had played high level basketball before. She showed high poise, great offensive skill and finishing ability, particularly for her size - she is all of 6'1 - and if reports of her being a strong shooter are true, even though she missed all 5 of her treys tonight you can mark her down for 10-15 ppg just on finishing and shooting. She's a great great 4 year program player. Plays like a senior.

Audrey Griffin - YIKES - She is a bouncy and twitchy athlete at a long 6'1. Clearly has no clue what she is doing on offense at the moment, constantly got caught between a 12 foot jumper and a weird careening move toward the hoop, but once Geno helps her find her role, she could easily be Gabby Williams #2, just taller and rangier. If she can just lock down on defense and grab offensive rebounds this year she'll be a big contributor.

Bent, Irwin, Adebayo - I mean they are solid program players. If they can combine to give us 20-30 minutes of solid play, hit their open shots, and just hold their own we will be in a good spot.
I contend that if UConn has to Rely on Irwin or Bent for 20-30 minutes a night they will be in big trouble and “not in a good spot”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I contend that if UConn has to Rely on Irwin or Bent for 20-30 minutes a night they will be in big trouble and “not in a good spot”.
There's another option here. On the 2012-13 championship team, Caroline Doty typically started every game. As a result of her injuries, Doty was not the player she once was, but she was experienced and steady, so she would play 5 to 10 minutes at the start of every game before Bria, Mo & Kelly would get most of the minutes at guard. I could see a similar situation with Kyla starting and then Anna, Aubrey or whoever coming into the game to get most of the minutes.

Reaction Score
Do I hope MOLLY and IRWIN will be STARTER's --hell yes! They both have the potential to excel that far. Will they? This is there last chance to do it. I hope they do. I wouldn't bet 1000 bucks either way. Emotionally, I'd love to see them do it. Yet, this was a comment on an exhibition game, not the NC.
Have to say the season is much too early to begin speculating on Molly and Irwin. Likely we all want them to earn starter minutes. Particularly last year, after I watched their performance in the exhibition games I found myself predicting a big jump in production. Both improved but did not have the hoped for quickness/athleticism. With Geno's recruiting showing promise, wondering if their position off the bench this year will be same as last.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom