Geno for Coach of the Year hands down | The Boneyard

Geno for Coach of the Year hands down

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This shouldnt even be a discussion. Loosing Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna and reorganizing UConn into a powerhouse again and to have proven that against top teams is unimaginable. Name me one team that could loose two star players (Azzi and Caroline) with 2 bigs( Jana and Yanna) who were being planned on to contribute immensely, and be forced to play inexperienced freshman against the schedule we have and be able to do what UConn has done to those teams is crazy. Now Geno appears to have lost Griff for the season.

We just beat UNC LVille Marquette and Creighton by alot. UConn has shown they are dominating top teams. The next 5 games Geno will have to make more adjustments due to loosing Griff, which doesnt look like shes coming back. We have a shorter bench and a shorter lineup. That means more playtime for everyone which over the season isnt good. It isnt good because playing more minutes tires you out and the result could be more injuries and less effectiveness. Our schedule has more top teams coming up which UConn with one less top player now needs to make another adjustment for. The adjustment will have to come from players with little experience. Coming up on UConns schedule is @Marquette, ND , a few games later @SC and Creighton. Not an easy schedule when your down 5 players all who were counted of for major minutes and contributions.

Take a look at your top teams in WCBB and take two of their top starters out for the season then take their next 3 players coming off the bench and pull them for the season. Im not going to list teams and players you can do that yourselves because we all know those teams would find it very hard to survive let alone beat top teams by double digits and even more (by 20-40 pts). There is no question that Geno is the Coach of the Year.

What Geno has done to turn UConn around with the players he's lost to injury is magnificent. I dont think any other team could come close to accomplishing what Geno has accomplished with what he has lost and what he has gone through. UConn had gone from a NC contender preseason to a has been, and Geno reorganized his team which is now showing signs of being a National Contender again. I think most fans had written UConn off. Now UConn is back.

Last nite Griff goes down and we dont know for how long but it didnt look promising. There seems to be a very good chance shes out for the season. Still we have our reorganized starting lineup which has been rolling. They will need rest and Griff provided that with experience. I would guess Q and Ice will see more minutes, something that wasnt in the cards. Both are freshman who lack college experience and Ice is coming back from last seasons injury. I believe Geno will have to continue to take it slow with Ice which means somebody else will need more minutes and that could be Ines and Amari. Ines and Amari may get some minutes because playing at the energy level UConn is playing right now we need to keep all our players from being tired. Too many minutes played equals players getting tired. We cant afford to have players tired moving forward with our schedule and playing at the energy level we've been winning at. Playing tired leads to inability to play at the energy level we've shown. It also can lead to injuries and we cant afford another injury. With a depleted lineup already we cant afford to be tired or hurt. We need to be fresh to keep the energy we're playing with to be effective. Everybody on the team has to step up and Im sure they will.

When you analyze what Geno has lost and what he has accomplished this season it is truly amazin. My Vote for Coach of the Year is GENO hands down.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This shouldnt even be a discussion. Loosing Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna and reorganizing UConn into a powerhouse again and to have proven that against top teams is unimaginable. Name me one team that could loose two star players (Azzi and Caroline) with 2 bigs( Jana and Yanna) who were being planned on to contribute immensely, and be forced to play inexperienced freshman against the schedule we have and be able to do what UConn has done to those teams is crazy. Now Geno appears to have lost Griff for the season.
Even though many are thinking this, when was it made public because I haven't seen the headline?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

We just beat UNC LVille Marquette and Creighton by alot. UConn has shown they are dominating top teams. The next 5 games Geno will have to make more adjustments due to loosing Griff, which doesnt look like shes coming back. We have a shorter bench and a shorter lineup. That means more playtime for everyone which over the season isnt good. It isnt good because playing more minutes tires you out and the result could be more injuries and less effectiveness. Our schedule has more top teams coming up which UConn with one less top player now needs to make another adjustment for. The adjustment will have to come from players with little experience. Coming up on UConns schedule is @Marquette, ND , a few games later @SC and Creighton. Not an easy schedule when your down 5 players all who were counted of for major minutes and contributions.

Take a look at your top teams in WCBB and take two of their top starters out for the season then take their next 3 players coming off the bench and pull them for the season. Im not going to list teams and players you can do that yourselves because we all know those teams would find it very hard to survive let alone beat top teams by double digits and even more (by 20-40 pts). There is no question that Geno is the Coach of the Year.

What Geno has done to turn UConn around with the players he's lost to injury is magnificent. I dont think any other team could come close to accomplishing what Geno has accomplished with what he has lost and what he has gone through. UConn had gone from a NC contender preseason to a has been, and Geno reorganized his team which is now showing signs of being a National Contender again. I think most fans had written UConn off. Now UConn is back.

Last nite Griff goes down and we dont know for how long but it didnt look promising. There seems to be a very good chance shes out for the season. Still we have our reorganized starting lineup which has been rolling. They will need rest and Griff provided that with experience. I would guess Q and Ice will see more minutes, something that wasnt in the cards. Both are freshman who lack college experience and Ice is coming back from last seasons injury. I believe Geno will have to continue to take it slow with Ice which means somebody else will need more minutes and that could be Ines and Amari. Ines and Amari may get some minutes because playing at the energy level UConn is playing right now we need to keep all our players from being tired. Too many minutes played equals players getting tired. We cant afford to have players tired moving forward with our schedule and playing at the energy level we've been winning at. Playing tired leads to inability to play at the energy level we've shown. It also can lead to injuries and we cant afford another injury. With a depleted lineup already we cant afford to be tired or hurt. We need to be fresh to keep the energy we're playing with to be effective. Everybody on the team has to step up and Im sure they will.

When you analyze what Geno has lost and what he has accomplished this season it is truly amazin. My Vote for Coach of the Year is GENO hands down.
Too early, wait till we are at the final 4.

Reaction Score
I think if the season ended today, it’d probably go to Dawn, Cori Close or Wes Moore.

If UConn can finish Big East play undefeated and get wins over South Carolina & ND, it’d be hard to make a case against Geno for sure.

Reaction Score
I think if the season ended today, it’d probably go to Dawn, Cori Close or Wes Moore.

If UConn can finish Big East play undefeated and get wins over South Carolina & ND, it’d be hard to make a case against Geno for sure.
If they are competitive with South Carolina I would still give him the support for COY. It won't be until that game that you learn how UConn will handle a team that has a size advantage with decent or better guard play. If they can play with South Carolina they can hang with anyone else too.

Reaction Score
Geno needs to build a fire under Amari. I know shes not the answer but its pucker time and he needs her and Ines to at least be good enough to give the rest of the team a breather. Ines wants to be good and just needs game time but Amari just lumbers down the court.
I know shes faster than that and better than what shes showing and Geno has to find a way to get more outa her.
I don't care if he uses psychology, reverse-psychology, threats, bribes or the rest of the team to get a fire built under her but we need another player who wont be a liability to help give the bigs a blow.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno needs to build a fire under Amari. I know shes not the answer but its pucker time and he needs her and Ines to at least be good enough to give the rest of the team a breather. Ines wants to be good and just needs game time but Amari just lumbers down the court.
I know shes faster than that and better than what shes showing and Geno has to find a way to get more outa her.
I don't care if he uses psychology, reverse-psychology, threats, bribes or the rest of the team to get a fire built under her but we need another player who wont be a liability to help give the bigs a blow.
Amari's ship has sailed. If she didn't get more involved last season, why would it be different this season?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I doubt it will happen. For what it's worth, you could've made a very similar argument last season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Tony on this one. SC? They were in the top 6/4 to start the year anyway. And they have lost no one to injuries. UCLA was 4/8 to start the year. Wes had a really good team at NC State that no one paid attention to. Just because the pollsters were stupid does not make him COY. SC and UCLA are absolutely no surprise.

UCONN has lost the equivalent of a top 25 team to season ending injuries, and 3 of those players were 100% ready to go at the start of the season, and all 3 were starting caliber players.

If the award were given today, hands down it should be Geno. Oh and by the way honorable mention to Ivey at ND. Hate them but credit what they have done with all their injuries as well. What Geno and UCONN have had to overcome in the past 3 years has never been seen in WCBB before... EVER. And what he's gotten the team to do this season is nothing short of spectacular.

By the way is there an award for the opposite for COY? Harper has to win that hands down at Tennessee - preseason top 10'ish to not even making the tourney at this point. Add to that her highest level recruit (Pissot) bailed after 1 year to go across state to Vandy. Talk about doing less with more... Dishonorable mention to Freese and Maryland (preseason 14/11) to barely making it into the tourney at this time...

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno needs Amari -- not to give breathers, not to counter opposing bigs, not for her hi-post play. It would be great if she could supply those things. But the team Geno has designed does not depend on her. It does depend on Ice and Q become solid contributors, and that is within the realm of reasonable possibilities.

If you think about tOSU last season, they played a game much like what Geno has the Huskies doing, a high-energy pressing defense either as a 4-out lineup with Mikulasikova, or as a 5-out lineup without her on the floor. They depended on a couple of very physical players in McMahon and Thierry, and Geno had Aaliyah and Aubrey for that role. And they had a great perimeter shooter in Mikesell. That team got to the elite eight, which was as far as Jacy Sheldon could carry them. Well, we have more perimeter threats, and I have a feeling Paige can carry the Huskies further than Jacy could carry the Buckeyes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NC State is now in UConn’s injury boat :( This just happened

CC7028F8-750C-4BF1-BB62-937D0EB28DF9.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
“This shouldn't even be a discussion”? But apparently it should :D

No awards are won in early January. Geno and his team have done some good work but the work has just begun.

However I do know who Geno should turn to whenever he needs a pep talk ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though many are thinking this, when was it made public because I haven't seen the headline?
PTSD. We assume the worst because we've experienced it over and over again.

sun

Reaction Score
Where would UConn be without the trip to Italy & all of the additional preparation for the freshmen?
Geno really helped the team by planning the trip.
Carol could still come back.
Being out indefinitely only means that she doesn't have a timetable for her return.
I can't imagine that Geno would want to continue blowing out weak teams by not giving the starters more rest & allowing all of the bench more PT.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It still is waaay too early BUT: check out the thread on Vandy Part 2. Talk about one
fantastic job by one of our own.

Reaction Score

Way too early to say this, several other coaches right that have done outstanding so far this season IMO.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
“This shouldn't even be a discussion”? But apparently it should :D

No awards are won in early January. Geno and his team have done some good work but the work has just begun.

However I do know who Geno should turn to whenever he needs a pep talk ;)
While awards are not "won" in January, can they be lost in January? I mean, Niele Ivey did just lose at home to NC yesterday so does that mean @EricLA support has to be withdrawn? Just asking for a friend....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom