Geno fires shot at Calhoun in Seth Davis interview | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno fires shot at Calhoun in Seth Davis interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah Dan but is that relationship because of Geno or Kevin? I mean KO loves JC. It seems to me that the common denominator is that KO, a humble man, can get along with anyone.

Geno and Jim are like a guy in a staring contest with his own reflection who won't give up because he is quite sure that he can get the guy in the mirror to blink first.

No doubt, Kevin can probably get along with anyone you put him with. And no doubt that Geno and Jim are both "acquired tastes" in terms of personality. But I believe what Geno said. Plain and simple. And when we did what no other university had ever accomplished (winning the men's and women's national title in the same year), there was no reason not to have a big dual celebration, in much the same way that Kevin and Geno did. It's good for the university. It's good for the fans. It's good for the state.

Again, I absolutely believe what Geno said; it takes two to tango, and Jim most likely looked down on him / his program. Some of the comments on the board absolutely support that idea...

Reaction Score
No doubt, Kevin can probably get along with anyone you put him with. And no doubt that Geno and Jim are both "acquired tastes" in terms of personality. But I believe what Geno said. Plain and simple. And when we did what no other university had ever accomplished (winning the men's and women's national title in the same year), there was no reason not to have a big dual celebration, in much the same way that Kevin and Geno did. It's good for the university. It's good for the fans. It's good for the state.

Again, I absolutely believe what Geno said; it takes two to tango, and Jim most likely looked down on him / his program. Some of the comments on the board absolutely support that idea...

Why would any comments on this board support Jim Calhoun's thoughts in any way? I don't get that? He has his own and we have our own. I don't look down on Geno's program , think it's amazing what he's done. But it's simply not as amazing as Jim Calhoun and hardly close either. All he did was prove he hated to be 2nd fiddle with his BS response "guess he didn't like us winning all the time". What else can you read?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why would any comments on this board support Jim Calhoun's thoughts in any way? I don't get that? He has his own and we have our own. I don't look down on Geno's program , think it's amazing what he's done. But it's simply not as amazing as Jim Calhoun and hardly close either. All he did was prove he hated to be 2nd fiddle with his BS response "guess he didn't like us winning all the time". What else can you read?

I said that the comments on the board supported the idea. Not that they proved that Jim said or did something. And the idea is that people look down on the women's program. You just did it too, whether you realized it or not.

You said that it's "simply not as amazing as Jim Calhoun and hardly close either." You are talking about a Hall of Fame Coach who will likely end his career with more wins than anyone who has ever coached the game of basketball at any level, and that's your stance. So again, comments on this board support the idea...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Personally I'm not a huge womens fan and fine Geno to be a smarmy biotch while I find JC to be an endearing curmudgeon, but I respect the heck out of genos accomplishments. He is going to end up with more wins than anyone in basketball history and the fact that he has done it while being hampered with the sandiest vag on earth makes his accomplishments that much more jaw dropping.

I watched the South Carolina game ( I watch maybe one regular season game a year and then maybe some tourney) and they had an hours worth of behind the scenes Geno. Watching that validated everything I've ever thought about him. He is a special kind of putz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Oh well if comments on this board supported the idea....

Reaction Score
I said that the comments on the board supported the idea. Not that they proved that Jim said or did something. And the idea is that people look down on the women's program. You just did it too, whether you realized it or not.

You said that it's "simply not as amazing as Jim Calhoun and hardly close either." You are talking about a Hall of Fame Coach who will likely end his career with more wins than anyone who has ever coached the game of basketball at any level, and that's your stance. So again, comments on this board support the idea...

No I'm talking about men's parity in college basketball vs the women's that's all. That's not close and the things that drive it aren't close (only 4-5 teams who recruit the best players, players all stay 4 years). It's not apples to apples and to take a different stance is, well I guess it's your rightful opinion. Gene has an opinion too and that's his right. But it's not "right"!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

What if those who don't like this quite valid statement just wrote, "Not that there's anything wrong with it," kept dissing the women's game, and called it a day? That'd be quite valid too. You could even dislike Geno as per August_West if it adds to your pleasure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think what Mau is trying to say is that he would like the women's team better if they had some Venezuelan players.

Reaction Score
I think what Mau is trying to say is that he would like the women's team better if they had some Venezuelan players.

Brazilian maybe. From The Blue ;)

Or better yet if they all made me a nice dinner when I got home and brought me my paper and a cold beer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There is always the respons that the men's program is the bigger achievement. Yes, but that is not the question.
They both are amazing and JC's task was much greater. But Geno's task was not easy. Otherwise everyone would have done it..The women's teamteam was bad and in the wrong part of the country to even think about being good.
JC made his comments to the press. It was small of him. Geno should have avoided the question. But the denigration was real and lives within some of this forum.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is always the respons that the men's program is the bigger achievement. Yes, but that is not the question.
They both are amazing and JC's task was much greater. But Geno's task was not easy. Otherwise everyone would have done it..The women's teamteam was bad and in the wrong part of the country to even think about being good.
JC made his comments to the press. It was small of him. Geno should have avoided the question. But the denigration was real and lives within some of this forum.

Sorry David but JC's gone and it was very small of Geno to even go there at this time. They did some great things together although with separation, nonetheless both putting Storrs on the map. Just STFU and keep your arrogance to yourself Geno, no need to answer the question without the usual "we were different people." The fact he needed to go where he went tells you all you need to know about Geno!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sorry David but JC's gone and it was very small of Geno to even go there at this time. They did some great things together although with separation, nonetheless both putting Storrs on the map. Just STFU and keep your arrogance to yourself Geno, no need to answer the question without the usual "we were different people." The fact he needed to go where he went tells you all you need to know about Geno!

I agree and, if you notice, said Geno should have avoided the question.
I just wish that some day someone could mention what the women's program has accomplished w/o the usual defensive reaction that JC accomplished so much more. Or the demeaning "Geno gets all the best players," like that is a weakness
The success of the Women's program should be no more threatening to the Men's program than the success of the Field Hockey or the baseball team. It is an entirely different sport.
And Mau, I don't mean you. There are some here who seem that they would happier if the women's program sucked

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree and, if you notice, said Geno should have avoided the question.
I just wish that some day someone could mention what the women's program has accomplished w/o the usual defensive reaction that JC accomplished so much more. Or the demeaning "Geno gets all the best players," like that is a weakness
The success of the Women's program should be no more threatening to the Men's program than the success of the Field Hockey or the baseball team. It is an entirely different sport.
And Mau, I don't mean you. There are some here who seem that they would happier if the women's program sucked
Really what does it matter? It is the best woman's program of all time.

David what did Jim say in the press that was so bad?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
JC was pretty dissmissive then knocked the fans as a bunch of senior citizens and elementary school girls. While this is largely true, the tone was insulting not descriptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom