Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have to assume that Geno just didn't see much to his liking in the 2016 top 100 players after CD or vice versa and thus he opted to fill the class with high character role players......I'm sure he doesn't regret it as those two are great teammates but it would have been ideal to add another highly skilled starter too......as I've insisted from the beginning, if anybody needed more court time it should have been MW

A lot of us felt that urge as to Megan. One very encouraging game on the west coast and then wandering in the desert in a way. Tantalizing abilities sporatically on display. But on playing more, I don't know if that would have increased her shakiness and destroyed shaky court confidence. No one, even Geno and Megan, knows and it's water under the bridge now. She better come out roaring this fall for her sake and for ours. Geno's remark last spring about "it's ending" may well be true and history certainly bears him out; however, I'm not ready to see it.

Reaction Score
I think the Huskies will be fine this season. At worst they will be number 2 in the polls and I never count out Geno and company. After Stewart and company graduated I figured UConn would come back down to Earth a bit and their only losses or really close games have been in overtime at the FF. KLS and Collier are two of the best 5 players in the country (possibly 3). Dangerfield is a terrific point guard who is a great fit for UConn. Walker will need to step up and play to her potential, the freshmen will need to grow up quickly and it would help if one of the returning reserves established themselves as a potential starter or dependable substitute.

You all know that if anyone can pull this off it's Geno and staff. There is a little more talent around other programs with some great coaches but will anyone really be surprised if UConn wins it all? Not me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think the Huskies will be fine this season. At worst they will be number 2 in the polls and I never count out Geno and company. After Stewart and company graduated I figured UConn would come back down to Earth a bit and their only losses or really close games have been in overtime at the FF. KLS and Collier are two of the best 5 players in the country (possibly 3). Dangerfield is a terrific point guard who is a great fit for UConn. Walker will need to step up and play to her potential, the freshmen will need to grow up quickly and it would help if one of the returning reserves established themselves as a potential starter or dependable substitute.

You all know that if anyone can pull this off it's Geno and staff. There is a little more talent around other programs with some great coaches but will anyone really be surprised if UConn wins it all? Not me.

Maybe you can talk @ctkaiser off the ledge. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What? They signed the #1 and #5 players in the country last year! As for this year, why don't we see what happens first? If UConn signs Jones, Boston, and Horston it certainly would not be a "poor recruiting year"! In fact, it would probably be one of the top recruiting classes EVER at UConn!

If Geno had not lost a certain talented transfer, there would be less angst now.

Reaction Score
A lot of us felt that urge as to Megan. One very encouraging game on the west coast and then wandering in the desert in a way. Tantalizing abilities sporatically on display. But on playing more, I don't know if that would have increased her shakiness and destroyed shaky court confidence. No one, even Geno and Megan, knows and it's water under the bridge now. She better come out roaring this fall for her sake and for ours. Geno's remark last spring about "it's ending" may well be true and history certainly bears him out; however, I'm not ready to see it.

call me crazy but as far as I'm concerned the best way to get better is to play........a lot.............take your lumps and sink or swim..........with so many good players surrounding her I find it difficult to believe she wouldn't have thrived by the end of the season.........

Reaction Score
I can see that happening with CW. She seems like such a big personality too. I feel like this jump isn’t going to be too big for her. Again it’s just a gut feeling.
Reasonable guess Will be fun watching how long a leash Gino gives her

Reaction Score
I don't know NCAA subs from U boats; I hope both show confidence because they have talent. I'll probably be saying this in April '20 but Molly can shoot, has learned to defend, there is absolutely no reason to look lost during a game except lack of confidence. Erwin has a bit more confidence, is a coaches daughter, and isn't afraid to shoot even the 3. I wish them everything they want and 5 minutes per game PT not at clean up. Just can't help loving those 2 kids.
Love this post

Reaction Score
Personally I think she’s going to take a bit of time to come into her own. Remember most freshman get broken down and built back up in camp Geno. ONO is young and needs to hit the weight room, I think she’s a bit of a project. I’m not in the mind set she’s going to come on campus and become a force early. Clearly I hope she does. I do think CW will be that rare breed that shrugs off the freshman learning curve.
I agree with you. I think CW will just pick right up and be the the the 6th man right out of the gate. I think ONO will have a typical big freshman year where she needs to grow into her body. So excited though to have a true big girl. I can't believe it's been since Dolson.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I think CW will just pick right up and be the the the 6th man right out of the gate. I think ONO will have a typical big freshman year where she needs to grow into her body. So excited though to have a true big girl. I can't believe it's been since Dolson.

There's a difference between tall and big.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

180514125152-thumbelina-smallest-horse-3-exlarge-169.jpg

The one on the right is big, the one on the left is tall. :rolleyes:

Guess who rules the stable? Just sayin'... I have high hopes for ONO...a que to another song.

Post script: Jake on the left holds the guiness World Record as the tallest horse. His nose buddy who appears to be snarling at him is Thumbelina, a rather typical minature.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Guess who rules the stable? Just sayin'... I have high hopes for ONO...a que to another song.

I'm not a horse guy, but the one on the left appears to be both big and tall to me. The picture is hilarious. I didn't know they make horses that small.

Reaction Score
unless Camara has made a full recovery, Geno really has no choice but to give ONO minutes this season if UConn is going to be competitive on the boards.....I've seen enough of ONO to know that even as a freshman she should be a fairly effective rebounder and shot blocker, two areas that seem to come more naturally to her then they did to AZ...
Well her offensive output isn't going to be close to AZ's, and I doubt her rebounding or blocking are going to outweigh that in her first year. Serious question to most posters here not just you CBball. What is with all the UConn fans and AZ? Seriously? She slighty hindered Napheesa's numbers, but I believe not her progression. Sidetracking, Napheesa is a 3 in the W. She will probably have plays set for her to post up other 3's which will be an advantage for her. But she is most likely going to have 2 other good post players to work around, and not just Z. So I feel like last season will help her in the W. Her numbers were down, but she learned how to play the 3 more. Her, Williams, and KLS were interchangeable at the 2-4 positions based on matchups (yes KLS did post up some), when Z was in. Z honestly interchanged with Napheesa and Williams too. What I'm trying to say is see the silver-lining in having Z. Napheesa will have to learn how to play with other bigs who aren't as mobile and against post better defenders who have size and savvy.

Back the original point, I don't get the animosity towards Z. She is the main reason why you guys won against ND and Texas in the regular season. She was the main reason why there was a 24 point swing in the first half of the national semi-final. She should have played more in the second half, even though she did give up a layup to Shepard in overtime (UConn fans tend to forgot their beloved players making turnovers at the end of regulation, plus Nurses 4 step travel to tie the game). If it wasn't for her, you might have met a different team in the NCAA (some might have liked that better). She was integral to having another perfect regular season. She hindered some other players stats, but it isn't like she didn't bring her own terrific stats? People act like she just stood there and gave up every point scored in a game. I don't get it.
Napheesa is my favorite player on the roster. I love her post game and now her ability to step out. I think tlnext year she will go back down to the paint a lot, but I hope she continues to expand her perimeter game. It is only going to help her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not a horse guy, but the one on the left appears to be both big and tall to me. The picture is hilarious. I didn't know they make horses that small.

In the horse world we call that combo Humungus. The little guys are like little dogs ... they are:

Reaction Score

Why is the horse on the right so small?

Reaction Score
There is also a difference between being tall and comfortable down low. ONO is and Z was not.... I also was upfront that ONO needed to grow into her body...

Reaction Score
There is also a difference between being tall and comfortable down low. ONO is and Z was not.... I also was upfront that ONO needed to grow into her body...

I just don't see the comparison between Dolson and ONO as far as body type. ONO is tall. Dolson was big and tall. Now admittedly I am not familiar with ONO's game but she seems to be a lithe stretch 4 while Dolson was a wide body low post player who moved people in the block as a freshman and then learned to play outside as she streamlined her body so maybe ONO will make a similar but opposite transformation.

I'm hopeful that Boston will choose UConn. I'd see her as the first big freshman since Dolson.

Reaction Score
I just don't see the comparison between Dolson and ONO as far as body type. ONO is tall. Dolson was big and tall. Now admittedly I am not familiar with ONO's game but she seems to be a lithe stretch 4 while Dolson was a wide body low post player who moved people in the block as a freshman and then learned to play outside as she streamlined her body so maybe ONO will make a similar but opposite transformation.

I'm hopeful that Boston will choose UConn. I'd see her as the first big freshman since Dolson.
I watched ONO playing USA basketball and she was down low playing the 5 and could stretch out. She played very comfortably down low. Like I said, I bet her body will look a lot different in 4 years.

Reaction Score
Well her offensive output isn't going to be close to AZ's, and I doubt her rebounding or blocking are going to outweigh that in her first year. Serious question to most posters here not just you CBball. What is with all the UConn fans and AZ? Seriously? She slighty hindered Napheesa's numbers, but I believe not her progression. Sidetracking, Napheesa is a 3 in the W. She will probably have plays set for her to post up other 3's which will be an advantage for her. But she is most likely going to have 2 other good post players to work around, and not just Z. So I feel like last season will help her in the W. Her numbers were down, but she learned how to play the 3 more. Her, Williams, and KLS were interchangeable at the 2-4 positions based on matchups (yes KLS did post up some), when Z was in. Z honestly interchanged with Napheesa and Williams too. What I'm trying to say is see the silver-lining in having Z. Napheesa will have to learn how to play with other bigs who aren't as mobile and against post better defenders who have size and savvy.

Back the original point, I don't get the animosity towards Z. She is the main reason why you guys won against ND and Texas in the regular season. She was the main reason why there was a 24 point swing in the first half of the national semi-final. She should have played more in the second half, even though she did give up a layup to Shepard in overtime (UConn fans tend to forgot their beloved players making turnovers at the end of regulation, plus Nurses 4 step travel to tie the game). If it wasn't for her, you might have met a different team in the NCAA (some might have liked that better). She was integral to having another perfect regular season. She hindered some other players stats, but it isn't like she didn't bring her own terrific stats? People act like she just stood there and gave up every point scored in a game. I don't get it.
Napheesa is my favorite player on the roster. I love her post game and now her ability to step out. I think tlnext year she will go back down to the paint a lot, but I hope she continues to expand her perimeter game. It is only going to help her.

I think that AS was good but somewhat inconsistent and perhaps understandably never seemed to be comfortable with her inside role..........many here were disappointed that she left early believing that she would improve markedly in her second full season under Geno's tutelage.............instead she decided to go pro which was certainly her right but in doing so she left the team a bit shorthanded in the paint............the bottom line is that if she had returned UConn would be in a much stronger position then they are today........

Reaction Score
I watched ONO playing USA basketball and she was down low playing the 5 and could stretch out. She played very comfortably down low. Like I said, I bet her body will look a lot different in 4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for her. But the U18 FIBA Americas didn't present anything near the size she will face in college. She was literally and figuratively head and shoulders better than the opposition.

Reaction Score
I think that AS was good but somewhat inconsistent and perhaps understandably never seemed to be comfortable with her inside role.....many here were disappointed that she left early believing that she would improve markedly in her second full season under Geno's tutelage...instead she decided to go pro which was certainly her right but in doing so she left the team a bit shorthanded in the paint..the bottom line is that if she had returned UConn would be in a much stronger position then they are today...

I noticed that although her stats appear on the UConn site for last season she is not listed on the 2017/18 roster. An oversight or something else?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for her. But the U18 FIBA Americas didn't present anything near the size she will face in college. She was literally and figuratively head and shoulders better than the opposition.

Her body type may be similar to Stewie's. Lean but tough and milk shakes and pizzas will get you Courtney Paris if you are a different type. I suspect the best deit and conditioning program with UConn's trainer stuffing protein shakes down her will still produce a Stewie or Azura type. But heck, maybe Twizzlers and tofu will be the magic combination. Maybe Sue Bird should put out a nutrition and conditioning book or video series or both.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you watch her run the floor though? If she gets to the other end and gets position before the other lumbering big then she's got two points or maybe a block or charge on defense. I think she may end up being a lot like Turner at ND minus the injuries hopefully. Not the biggest 5 but really effective.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The ideal situation for UConn would be to have both ONO and Boston on the court at the same time. To some degree they could be used interchangeably, playing off each other in the high and low posts. While traditional posts are becoming a thing of the past, I see ONO primarily as a 4 and Boston as a 5.

As far as defense and rebounding go, ONO and Boston would be an intimidating combination for opposing teams to deal with. Add in Horston and UConn would have a fearsome group of shutdown defenders for years to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom