Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere | The Boneyard

Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn facing crucial recruiting season

"No one has lost as many talented players as we have the past two, three years and, obviously, we think we still have some talented players," Auriemma said. "Every recruiting year, really, is crucial and there are things that we have to address if we want to stay at the same level that we've been on for a long time. It's important that we bring some talented players in this and next year.

"If you look at us, we have needs everywhere. I don't think anyone looks at our roster and says we're loaded in any one position."

Reaction Score
We lost an NC based on just one poor recruiting year a few years ago.
Now it looks like we're facing our second poor recruiting year in a row.
Too much of the talent is going elsewhere, we need to figure out why.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, for this to be a successful recruiting year, UConn needs to get at least 2 of their top 3 recruits(Jones, Boston, and Horston). Coach Auriemma is in a rare, but good position, in that he can sell playing time and a legitimate chance to start as a freshman to these kids. Most years. even the best recruits in the country know they have no chance of starting, and will receive minimal playing time, because UConn's roster is usually so stacked.

Reaction Score

What? They signed the #1 and #5 players in the country last year! As for this year, why don't we see what happens first? If UConn signs Jones, Boston, and Horston it certainly would not be a "poor recruiting year"! In fact, it would probably be one of the top recruiting classes EVER at UConn!

Reaction Score
??? We got the #1 recruit in the country last year (again), plus ONO. If we get 3 of the 4 recruits we’re going after (not unlikely) we’ll have the #1 recruiting class (again). If we only get 2 (2 or more is highly likely IMO) it will still be a dynamite recruiting class. Geno will get this done.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sandbagging. Not buying it. Poor UConn. More talent on the roster than almost every other team in the country, year in and year out.

Really strange post. Geno is stating a fact and one that has been discussed here at length. The team has needs that will have to be met in the next 2 recruiting classes if UConn wants to continue to reach final fours and win championships. If you don't understand that then you haven't been paying attention.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let's be real for a moment. Yes, UConn has been successful in bringing in number one ranked recruits. They've also lost out on numerous other highly coveted recruits. Notre Dame is their biggest rival on the court and in recruiting. They recruit and go after the same players as vigorously as we do. Niele Ivey is very good at recruiting with an excellent track record. We are witnessing the knock down drag out "no holds barred" attempts by both programs to lure the most coveted and high profile players to their school.

There are other programs in the mix, Maryland, Ohio State, Baylor, Louisville, Stanford, UCLA & Texas, all of whom have recruited a top 21 prospect from the 2019 class. ND is their biggest and most potent rival. Where are the players UConn wants most leaning toward if not them? The recruiting wars are real. A battle you cannot afford to come in second place in if you want to remain competitive.

I totally agree with LasVegasYank who said: "April 11 is the National Letter of Intent early signing day. If UConn's back to back semi-final losses have had an impact on recruiting, it may show up then. I know Williams and ONO were last-minute additions for the 2018 class but it would sure feel good to wrap up some 2019 players early." LasVegasYank, Apr 8, 2018

Ten of the top 21 ranked 2019 recruits have verbaled already. ND has 2 (#4 Brunelle & #21 Peoples), Maryland has 2. I'm not panicking yet by any means, but............I'm getting just a little concerned. I'm not forgetting that UConn got #1 and #5 in the 11th hour last year.

That was last year, and has nothing to do with THIS year. #1-3 have yet to verbal. Contained therein are the coveted three (#1 Jones, #2 Horston & #3 Boston) UConn has in their sights. A clean sweep would of these top 3 would be a monumental coup for UConn. Two other recruits on UConn's radar are still uncommitted as of today: #10 Leticia Amihere and #33 Aubrey Griffin. We have our collective fingers crossed. We are hoping for the best, we shall see. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Really strange post. Geno is stating a fact and one that has been discussed here at length. The team has needs that will have to be met in the next 2 recruiting classes if UConn wants to continue to reach final fours and win championships. If you don't understand that then you haven't been paying attention.

Okay, but everyone else needs to keep recruiting talent as well. Notre Dame will have some huge losses after this season. I'd say Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Shepard and Turner is a bigger net loss than Samuelson and Collier.

UConn has brought in Walker, Williams and ONO in the last 2 classes. With all of the elite players they are involved with in the '19 and '20 classes, they are gonna get some more top end talent. Anyone other than UConn fans sees some of this hand wringing and panicking as somewhat ridiculous.

You can probably make a case about lack of depth, but it seems like Geno likes it that way. When was the last time his regular rotation was more than 7 deep?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Okay, but everyone else needs to keep recruiting talent as well. Notre Dame will have some huge losses after this season. I'd say Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Shepard and Turner is a bigger net loss than Samuelson and Collier.

UConn has brought in Walker, Williams and ONO in the last 2 classes. With all of the elite players they are involved with in the '19 and '20 classes, they are gonna get some more top end talent. Anyone other than UConn fans sees some of this hand wringing and panicking as somewhat ridiculous.

You can probably make a case about lack of depth, but it seems like Geno likes it that way. When was the last time his regular rotation was more than 7 deep?

I agree on ND but the article in question and this thread are about UConn. No one is sandbagging; no one saying poor UConn. There are needs and that's all Geno and Carl Adamec are pointing out.

Reaction Score

While it is true that players need to be replaced in the next 2 years it's nothing new. There have been very few two year periods when there hasn't been a significant turnover in starters. Luckily Geno has what looks to be 2 elite level freshmen and the next 2 classes are loaded with talent. There is little reason to think that UConn will be shut out unless one fixates on a worst-case scenario. Reading some of the posts here I'm reminded of all the AIRPORT movies in the 60's/70's. There was always one passenger who would stand up and scream "we're all going to die!!" only to be immediately punched in the face by the old lady played by Helen Hayes. Where's Helen when you need her?

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
During the 2014-15 season.
I'd say 12-13. In 14-15, there was Kiah, but I don't remember who else (beyond Saniya and Gabby, who weren't really impact players off the bench).

Who are you thinking about that I'm not?

Reaction Score
Geno: "No one has lost as many talented players as we have the past two, three years"

True, but nobody has had as many at that level on their roster either. You could fill a WNBA roster with the UConn players who have entered the W in the last 3 years. Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse, Williams, Stevens, Chong. Add likely 1st rounders and possible lottery picks Samuelson & Collier next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While it is true that players need to be replaced in the next 2 years it's nothing new. There have been very few two year periods when there hasn't been a significant turnover in starters. Luckily Geno has what look to be 2 elite level freshmen and the next 2 classes are loaded with talent. There is little reason to think that UConn will be shut out unless one fixates on a worst-case scenario. Reading some of the posts here I'm reminded of all the AIRPORT movies in the 60's/70's. There was always one passenger who would stand up and scream "we're all going to die!!" only to be immediately punched in the face by the old lady played by Helen Hayes. Where's Helen when you need her?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd say 12-13. In 14-15, there was Kiah, but I don't remember who else (beyond Saniya and Gabby, who weren't really impact players off the bench).
Who are you thinking about that I'm not?
  1. Saniya.
  2. Moriah
  3. KML
  4. Kia
  5. Kiah
  6. Stewie
  7. Morgan
  8. Gabby

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The "necessary and/or sufficient" test is helpful in sorting out the spurious from the causal. Does Auriemma need 5 star talent starting at every position? No, he's won championships with Conlon and Moore in the starting five. Does he need people with well defined specialties, such as the 6'7" Wolters? No, he's won championships with 6'2" centers. OK, then, does he need versatility at every position? Again, no, he won with Wolters. Does he need a deep bench? The answer is no. Does he need a short rotation? Nope, look at 2000. On the other hand, if you ask whether any of those conditions were sufficient, again the repeated answer is no, he's lost with any of those factors going for him.

If anything is "necessary and/or sufficient" then, it must be related to the intangible chemistry of the whole, rather than the make-up of the talented parts. History shows that Auriemma could lose out on recruiting and still recover (though one could argue that the one time all three recruits of the same class transferred really did a number on the program for a couple years); or he could triumph in recruiting of late yet that will not guarantee championships every year. That's what makes this claim by Auriemma puzzling to me. If he's talking about recruiting needs in terms of chemistry to make the best whole out of the parts, sure, I'll buy that. Yet that's not what one typically means when making such a statement and it's certainly not how the fans and press take it ... or his own players. By putting out there something that people will infer relates to talent he's undermining the one and only factor that appears to be causal, chemistry and the confidence in one's abilities and teammates that lies behind that. Quite frankly, though I think in general he's improved his coaching over time from an already high bar, I don't think he openly broadcasts such a claim in an earlier era, whether he feels that way or not.

I don't quite go along with either the sandbagging or the doomsday assessments, yet I will say it's strange.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just think it’s crazy that getting the #1 and #5 player in one recruiting class is considered a poor recruiting year... I mean, sheesh.. did you want #2-4 and #6-10 as well?

If there is one thing UConn fans never need to stress over while Geno is there it is recruiting. He has proven time and time again that more often than not he gets who he wants. For you guys, it’s not a matter of “will we get somebody”.. it’s more like “who will we get”.. that is not the case for most other programs. Geno has his pick of elite players every year, this year won’t be any different. Sandbagging indeed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The "necessary and/or sufficient" test is helpful in sorting out the spurious from the causal. Does Auriemma need 5 star talent starting at every position? No, he's won championships with Conlon and Moore in the starting five. Does he need people with well defined specialties, such as the 6'7" Wolters? No, he's won championships with 6'2" centers. OK, then, does he need versatility at every position? Again, no, he won with Wolters. Does he need a deep bench? The answer is no. Does he need a short rotation? Nope, look at 2000. On the other hand, if you ask whether any of those conditions were sufficient, again the repeated answer is no, he's lost with any of those factors going for him.

If anything is "necessary and/or sufficient" then, it must be related to the intangible chemistry of the whole, rather than the make-up of the talented parts. History shows that Auriemma could lose out on recruiting and still recover (though one could argue that the one time all three recruits of the same class transferred really did a number on the program for a couple years); or he could triumph in recruiting of late yet that will not guarantee championships every year. That's what makes this claim by Auriemma puzzling to me. If he's talking about recruiting needs in terms of chemistry to make the best whole out of the parts, sure, I'll buy that. Yet that's not what one typically means when making such a statement and it's certainly not how the fans and press take it ... or his own players. By putting out there something that people will infer relates to talent he's undermining the one and only factor that appears to be causal, chemistry and the confidence in one's abilities and teammates that lies behind that. Quite frankly, though I think in general he's improved his coaching over time from an already high bar, I don't think he openly broadcasts such a claim in an earlier era, whether he feels that way or not.

I don't quite go along with either the sandbagging or the doomsday assessments, yet I will say it's strange.
Good stuff. Mind if I make a bumper sticker out of that first sentence?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with what you are saying about chemistry. Geno has passed on many players who he felt would disturb chemistry. I'll speculate that what Geno sees in the 2019/2020 classes is a rare chemistry among a group of very very high level players and he thinks they could play together in his system. That isn't the usual case. Most times over half of the top players want to be the feature player in college. Among those being recruited this, next and the year after are a bunch who love playing with each other and who put team goals ahead of their own. Geno wants them all and he's sending them a message that there's room for them all.

Reaction Score
While it is true that players need to be replaced in the next 2 years it's nothing new. There have been very few two year periods when there hasn't been a significant turnover in starters. Luckily Geno has what looks to be 2 elite level freshmen and the next 2 classes are loaded with talent. There is little reason to think that UConn will be shut out unless one fixates on a worst-case scenario. Reading some of the posts here I'm reminded of all the AIRPORT movies in the 60's/70's. There was always one passenger who would stand up and scream "we're all going to die!!" only to be immediately punched in the face by the old lady played by Helen Hayes. Where's Helen when you need her?

Reaction Score
If she's still alive would fit right in this board age wise from what I can tell....

Reaction Score
What killed this season is AS leaving early. I know for a fact the coaching staff was caught off guard. With this early departure it leaves a huge hole in our lineup and in the process just kills our depth.

We have Danger, lou, and pheese as solid givens.

The success of this season depends on:

Lou’s Ankle - she needs to be an all around dominant player not just a jump shooter. I think the ankle limited her ability to mix it up.

Will MW have a break out soph season? Will she act like number one recruit in country or a lost freshman?

How quickly can CW become an impact player? Personally I think the bulb comes on quick for her. Starter sooner than later.

Will anyone step up that we’re not expecting?
KI, BC, Lexi etc.

Enjoy this year. Next year is going to be quite interesting ha ha.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What killed this season is AS leaving early. I know for a fact the coaching staff was caught off guard. With this early departure it leaves a huge hole in our lineup and in the process just kills our depth.

We have Danger, lou, and pheese as solid givens.

The success of this season depends on:

Lou’s Ankle - she needs to be an all around dominant player not just a jump shooter. I think the ankle limited her ability to mix it up.

Will MW have a break out soph season? Will she act like number one recruit in country or a lost freshman?

How quickly can CW become an impact player? Personally I think the bulb comes on quick for her. Starter sooner than later.

Will anyone step up that we’re not expecting?
KI, BC, Lexi etc.

Enjoy this year. Next year is going to be quite interesting ha ha.
I have one thing to say: Oh no! (hint)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom