Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Comes Clean: We Have Needs Everywhere

Reaction Score
I have one thing to say: Oh no! (hint)

Personally I think she’s going to take a bit of time to come into her own. Remember most freshman get broken down and built back up in camp Geno. ONO is young and needs to hit the weight room, I think she’s a bit of a project. I’m not in the mind set she’s going to come on campus and become a force early. Clearly I hope she does. I do think CW will be that rare breed that shrugs off the freshman learning curve.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Personally I think she’s going to take a bit of time to come into her own. Remember most freshman get broken down and built back up in camp Geno. ONO is young and needs to hit the weight room, I think she’s a bit of a project. I’m not in the mind set she’s going to come on campus and become a force early. Clearly I hope she does. I do think CW will be that rare breed that shrugs off the freshman learning curve.
Okey-dokey! ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I just think it’s crazy that getting the #1 and #5 player in one recruiting class is considered a poor recruiting year... I mean, sheesh.. did you want #2-4 and #6-10 as well?

I don't think anyone's issue is with the incoming class. The two previous, on the other hand, have not yet revealed themselves to contain a lot of impact players. Dangerfield's terrific and perhaps Walker will be but that's still to be determined. While I like Coombs and think she has a chance to be really good, it was not a good freshmen year for her, and she's recovering from the blood clot problem.

I get that if you're a 50th or 100th ranked school you don't want to hear about UConn's "problems," but much like other powerhouse programs or organizations, you have to look at this on a curve. I believe the Huskies haven't been ranked lower than 3rd at any time over the last 10 years. When you play at that kind of level a drop-off seems ghastly.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone's issue is with the incoming class. The two previous, on the other hand, have not yet revealed themselves to contain a lot of impact players. Dangerfield's terrific and perhaps Walker will be but that's still to be determined. While I like Coombs and think she has a chance to be really good, it was not a good freshmen year for her, and she's recovering from the blood clot problem.

I get that if you're a 50th or 100th ranked school you don't want to hear about UConn's "problems," but much like other powerhouse programs or organizations, you have to look at this on a curve. I believe the Huskies haven't been ranked lower than 3rd at any time over the last 10 years. When you play at that kind of level a drop-off seems ghastly.

The poster I was referring to said verbatim “Now it looks like we're facing our second poor recruiting year in a row.” in response to the article, so it seems they were definitely referring to the incoming class.

That said I agree with you here, I think the UConn system can be a blessing and a curse for recruits. At UConn, unless you’re a truly exceptional talent, it’s highly unlikely that you’re going to step on campus and really make a big immediate impact. You may not even see meaningful minutes until your junior year. But the beauty in the system is that you learn the system from the coaches, play behind the upperclassmen, and by the time you’re a junior or senior it’s basically “plug in and play” with little to no drop off. You have a player that’s ready to play. With that in mind, it’s difficult for me to believe that your 2017 class won’t eventually make a big impact. Yeah, AEH transferred, and Coombs has/had health issues... but in due time I expect Walker to contribute heavily and I think Gordon can be a player as well.

Remember, just a few years ago when Stewart’s class left and people whispered about the step back that UConn would take... well, that didn’t happen at all.. Samuelson stepped up, Collier stepped up, Williams stepped up. All three of them expanded their games and although we knew they were good, they became players at the level that a lot of us didn’t expect. I don’t see any reason to believe that Walker won’t make a similar leap.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The poster I was referring to said verbatim “Now it looks like we're facing our second poor recruiting year in a row.” in response to the article, so it seems they were definitely referring to the incoming class.

Needless to say, when you get two players who were or are ranked #1 by numerous outlets that's a good class. Perhaps the poster forgot about the incoming one we're referring to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
  1. Saniya.
  2. Moriah
  3. KML
  4. Kia
  5. Kiah
  6. Stewie
  7. Morgan
  8. Gabby
During the Big Dance, UConn really didn’t go much beyond 6 deep when the game was competitive. For example, in the championship vs ND, UConn played only 7 players. Gabby played only 3 minutes, going 0-1 with a personal foul, 0 rb, 0 a, 0 s. Saniya did not play at all.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Needless to say, when you get two players who were or are ranked #1 by numerous outlets that's a good class. Perhaps the poster forgot about the incoming one we're referring to.

In fairness, may be referring to numbers not quality. If not, it is hard to figure the remark. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
During the Big Dance, UConn really didn’t go much beyond 6 deep when the game was competitive. For example, in the championship vs ND, UConn played only 7 players. Gabby played only 3 minutes, going 0-1 with a personal foul, 0 rb, 0 a, 0 s. Saniya did not play at all.
All factually correct however the intent was to identify impact players during that regular season not the big dance. Recall that two of the players on that list Kiah and Saniya started off the season in the starting lineup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All factually correct however the intent was to identify impact players during that regular season not the big dance. Recall that two of the players on that list Kiah and Saniya started off the season in the starting lineup.
Like many coaches, Geno will experiment with different lineups and substitution patterns during the season. In addition to last season's top six players, Geno also played MW, Mikayla, AEH, Molly & Kyla meaningful minutes off the bench at one time or another. In fact, the only 2 players that were relegated to mop up minutes only were Batouly & Lexi.

The way I look at the original question relative to Geno's rotation has more to do with who he trusts in those BIG GAMES vs ranked opponents in season, and then again once the Huskies get to the Big Dance in March. I would love for that total to be 8 or more players, but historically it's less.

Reaction Score
We will see right! What do I know right !!
Some really good responses to Geno's comments, really enjoyable.
With the new kids everything remains to be seen. There also is the probability OnO and Okey Dokey (CW) maybe used more than the Frosh in 17/18-should that happen I believe CW will prove by March/April ala Stewie.. I don't know enough of OnO to speculate.
coco and Milford H ---funny, just funny---1 to 5 and Okey Dokey--funny

Reaction Score
Some really good responses to Geno's comments, really enjoyable.
With the new kids everything remains to be seen. There also is the probability OnO and Okey Dokey (CW) maybe used more than the Frosh in 17/18-should that happen I believe CW will prove by March/April ala Stewie.. I don't know enough of OnO to speculate.
coco and Milford H ---funny, just funny---1 to 5 and Okey Dokey--funny

I can see that happening with CW. She seems like such a big personality too. I feel like this jump isn’t going to be too big for her. Again it’s just a gut feeling.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Like many coaches, Geno will experiment with different lineups and substitution patterns during the season. In addition to last season's top six players, Geno also played MW, Mikayla, AEH, Molly & Kyla meaningful minutes off the bench at one time or another. In fact, the only 2 players that were relegated to mop up minutes only were Batouly & Lexi.

The way I look at the original question relative to Geno's rotation has more to do with who he trusts in those BIG GAMES vs ranked opponents in season, and then again once the Huskies get to the Big Dance in March. I would love for that total to be 8 or more players, but historically it's less.

I want to see Kyla and Molly become NCAAs sub; God knows they never stop working.

Reaction Score
I want to see Kyla and Molly become NCAAs sub; God knows they never stop working.
I don't know NCAA subs from U boats; I hope both show confidence because they have talent. I'll probably be saying this in April '20 but Molly can shoot, has learned to defend, there is absolutely no reason to look lost during a game except lack of confidence. Erwin has a bit more confidence, is a coaches daughter, and isn't afraid to shoot even the 3. I wish them everything they want and 5 minutes per game PT not at clean up. Just can't help loving those 2 kids.

Reaction Score
We lost an NC based on just one poor recruiting year a few years ago.
Now it looks like we're facing our second poor recruiting year in a row.
Too much of the talent is going elsewhere, we need to figure out why.
This years junior class of 3 basically gives us nothing. That hurts.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know NCAA subs from U boats; I hope both show confidence because they have talent. I'll probably be saying this in April '20 but Molly can shoot, has learned to defend, there is absolutely no reason to look lost during a game except lack of confidence. Erwin has a bit more confidence, is a coaches daughter, and isn't afraid to shoot even the 3. I wish them everything they want and 5 minutes per game PT not at clean up. Just can't help loving those 2 kids.

Kyla, as you know, really progressed last year, but with Geno's (he denies it I know) bench truncation in the NCAAs, 5 minutes of regular season non-mop up playtime (whew!) will probably leave both on the bench baring the circumstance that cannot be mentioned among the superstitious.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hogwash. Dangerfield is a Junior. And by all accounts Bent and Irwin are hard workers and great teammates. Come off the ledge.
Right. Crystal is short but she's a long way from nothing. Like others, I await her upcoming breakout year.

Reaction Score
I don’t expect much production out of MB. I can’t think of an argument to support that occurring. Wonderful girl though, hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
Last season Crystal Dangerfield was headed for one of the great seasons in UCONN history from a G then had shin splints and other leg woes and her practice and game time dropped off!
She still had a good season but physically was unable to give the big minutes needed by the team! This season is important that she remain healthy to play 30+ minutes if needed!
The coaching staff will get this roster to perform as needed then the next 2 recruiting classes are necessary to fill with the talent out there. Geno will never promise playing time or large minutes, he'll always be honest and "say you're playing time depends on how you practice!"
I believe he'll get at least 3 recruits next year!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What killed this season is AS leaving early. I know for a fact the coaching staff was caught off guard. With this early departure it leaves a huge hole in our lineup and in the process just kills our depth.

We have Danger, lou, and pheese as solid givens. The success of this season depends on: Lou’s Ankle - she needs to be an all around dominant player not just a jump shooter. I think the ankle limited her ability to mix it up.

Will MW have a break out soph season? Will she act like number one recruit in country or a lost freshman? How quickly can CW become an impact player? Personally I think the bulb comes on quick for her. Starter sooner than later.

Will anyone step up that we’re not expecting? KI, BC, Lexi etc. Enjoy this year. Next year is going to be quite interesting ha ha.

I too was shocked (and heart broken) that Stevens left early. She would have started this year. I commented many times (during the season) that I did not believe Geno would allow her to transfer in for only 1 year, and that I was pretty sure she would return.

Another dynamic that caught the staff off guard was Charli Collier recanting her commitment and going instead to Texas. In Collier, Geno thought he had his post player for the next 4 years. I can't say who Geno coveted more, Collier or ONO, but I do question if ONO would have come to Storrs if Collier had not changed her mind.

It was interesting to hear about the "full court press" the UConn staff put on ONO after Collier's
decommit. If you remember all of the other post players UConn would have targeted had already committed. Things happen for a reason. It will be interesting to see which one of them has the most impressive and productive college career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kyla, as you know, really progressed last year, but with Geno's (he denies it I know) bench truncation in the NCAAs, 5 minutes of regular season non-mop up playtime (whew!) will probably leave both on the bench baring the circumstance that cannot be mentioned among the superstitious.
Whew! I dislike copy-cats! I have a patent on endless sentences.
Reality for me an others may approach the superstitious yet we cannot accept that these two hardworking kids (going endless) won't be contributors beyond practice time.

Reaction Score

unless Camara has made a full recovery, Geno really has no choice but to give ONO minutes this season if UConn is going to be competitive on the boards..........I've seen enough of ONO to know that even as a freshman she should be a fairly effective rebounder and shot blocker, two areas that seem to come more naturally to her then they did to AZ........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This years junior class of 3 basically gives us nothing. That hurts.

The cyclicality of top end Div. I basketball recruiting is well established and is only increasing as more schools become relevant. Do you want to sit behind DT, MoJeff, Maya, Stewie, etc etc for 2 or 3 years? So we reached for 2 in our Junior Class and took the best point guard in the nation (a year late). Molly and Kayla are great team mates and could start their whole careers in a ton of schools - a ton. I believe Geno made a mistake in not playing Kyla more in the NCAAs and not playing Molly enough in prime time in our conference (resting Ms. Shin Splints).

Reaction Score
The cyclicality of top end Div. I basketball recruiting is well established and is only increasing as more schools become relevant. Do you want to sit behind DT, MoJeff, Maya, Stewie, etc etc for 2 or 3 years? So we reached for 2 in our Junior Class and took the best point guard in the nation (a year late). Molly and Kayla are great team mates and could start their whole careers in a ton of schools - a ton. I believe Geno made a mistake in not playing Kyla more in the NCAAs and not playing Molly enough in prime time in our conference (resting Ms. Shin Splints).

I have to assume that Geno just didn't see much to his liking in the 2016 top 100 players after CD or vice versa and thus he opted to fill the class with high character role players...........I'm sure he doesn't regret it as those two are great teammates but it would have been ideal to add another highly skilled starter too...........as I've insisted from the beginning, if anybody needed more court time it should have been MW

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom