Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Has it occurred to any one else that Geno might be becoming the Bill Belichick of women’s college basketball? His recruiting doesn’t seem to keep up with other schools, and he doesn’t seem able to get the players he does have to play up to their potential.
INJURIES!!! We have talent! Talent cannot help when it is sitting on the bench! Two years ago he was good enough to coach one of , strike that, the greatest freshman season I’ve ever seen! I completely disagree about the recruiting but I do think Shea’s departure has affected our defense and our overall toughness. Can that be laid at Geno’s feet? Well, I suppose so, I think it’s possible he’s allowed himself to get too comfortable with his reliance on people that he’s been to war with over the years.
I don’t think there’s any doubt that there has been a serious decline in many of the fundamental building blocks that helped fuel the dominant twenty+ year run that resulted in 11 championships. Even so, he’s managed to keep us among the top teams in the country even while suffering the worst string of injuries to key players I’ve ever seen!

Our last magical run ended in 2016. Since then, we have played seven seasons. One was knocked out by the pandemic so that makes six.
2017 we lost on a buzzer beater. 2018 ditto! I don’t think it’s unfair to say, if we had gotten to the finals both years (and we easily could have except for a buzzer beater!) we likely would have won at least one of those.
2019, we lost by five to ND in the Final Four. I’ll accept we deserved that one.
2020 canceled due to Covid! 2021 the beginning of the (ongoing) curse! We lost to an Arizona team we likely would have beaten if fully healthy. I don’t think a fair person would deny that we would have been favored against a Stanford team that barely escaped McDonald’s desperation three at the buzzer while scoring only 54 points!
2022, This is when the curse fully manifested itself and we lost a shorthanded final against SC without Dorka, and with a hampered Paige, no Azzi, and a less than 100% Caroline! This one many will say we would have lost even if healthy. Perhaps so, but we weren’t! I think it’s fair to say, we might have won with a fully healthy team.
2023, Here again, though we were handled by Ohio State, we were a mere shell of what we would have been fully healthy.

By my count, if we had been fully healthy since 2016, and had just a modicum of luck (perhaps one of the two buzzer beaters had missed), we likely would now be sitting on 13 titles and perhaps 14! Now, many will sneer, but my point is, we have been right there as recently as last year! It’s clearly not recruiting, it is injuries that have decimated this proud program for the past three years in particular, two of the other three were basically the flip of a coin! I appreciate that Williams and Ogwumike made great shots to win those games but the truth is, there’s a little luck in any buzzer beater situation.

Anyway, this rant is merely to point out that the sky is not falling and we are not that far away from what we have been! Let’s (hopefully) get healthy and I’ll take our chances against anyone!

Reaction Score
You are so correct. Unfortunately UConn isn't the only place to go these days. Dawn Staley is here to stay and she's going to win her share of National Championships. Kim Mulkey is always going to be able to get top players and whether you like her style or not ... she's a winner. UCLA, Duke, USC, Stanford, Texas and I'm sure I'm overlooking a few more. They're all coming for us. We have (had) the talent to compete with anyone (regardless of the lack of a big), but most of them are out for the season or injured. Not much Geno can do about that if anything.
There’s another elephant in the room that may be having a bigger effect than is obvious! NIL! This has changed everything as it gives a huge advanage to schools that have boosters with deep pockets! IMO this has and will continue to materially hurt UConn as, to the best of my knowledge, we are not rolling in those kinds of resources! Of course, as Geno has said, UConn offers a certain cachet that very few other schools can match but in the end, even UConn type kids need money! I‘m happy these kids are finally able to make some money but I’m not so sure about where this is going.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s another elephant in the room that may be having a bigger effect than is obvious! NIL! This has changed everything as it gives a huge advanage to schools that have boosters with deep pockets!
No question about this, didn't mean to overlook it because it is (or at least can be) a very big factor but Geno has little to no control over it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks Eric. I did not watch the game but only followed online and checked the stats. The stats, including Paige taking exactly 1 shot in the 2nd quarter, tell me Paige didn’t play well. I'll try to watch the game over the next couple of days.

I’m sure Geno is not putting the loss on Paige not playing well — very poor rebounding and turnovers were huge — but seems like his assessment of her play isn't wrong. He was asked a question about how Paige played and he answered truthfully, as he always does.

Was Geno simply giving an honest answer to a question posed by a reporter or did he also intend to send a message to Paige? I don't know for sure but I do know that this year's team now has the distinction of producing the lowest ranking for a UConn team in 30 years. It’s time to coach and play better, individually and collectively. It's also time for the NPOY candidate to play better and lead this team. It’s difficult to think of them as a FF team, but they can and should play much better and it starts with Paige. The injuries are sad and disappointing, but that should motivate the coaches and players. No more feeling sorry for themselves and that starts with the head coach and Azzi's best friend.

UConn greats of the past have not shied away from the responsibility of leading a team through tough times. Is it too much to ask of Paige this soon after returning from missing a season d/t ACL surgery? I guess we'll find out but Geno doesn't seem to think so and he has sent that message.
My pleasure. BTW in a lot of ways this highlights how incredible Diana was. Sure it was "easier" to win a NC with Sue, Swin, Tamika and Ashja, but when they left, he had Conlon, Battle, Strother, Turner, Crockett, etc. Strother was highly rated and a solid college player, but firmly in the 2nd tier of #1 players. And Conlon - the starting PG - One of my all time favorite Geno quotes about Maria... "Well she's short, but she's also slow".

Needless to say, I don't think this team will be successful if it's the Paige show like it's usually the Caitlyn Clark show. But I think Paige needs to lead more like Diana did - sometimes scoring bunches, sometimes inspiring the rest of the team to be better than they thought they could.

Reaction Score
Read the last three names I posted. I'm talking about the ones he did not get. Jones, Brink, and Wilson, all since 2017. What should he have done differently to get them? That's my point.
Jones (?) escapes me, but Brink was never coming here and neither was Wilson, or Boston, or Cardoso, or Reese or Betts (or her younger sister).

Reaction Score
The Boneyard has the most educated, level-headed group of posters on ANY website by MILES. This thread has more scientific theories than a graduate level physics class.

#1: College basketball NEEDS UConn to be good, and as an Iowa fan I think they will be.

Things ARE tough for UConn, but you shouldn't care. Time for players to man up; will you lose more games? YES, but such a long season. Embrace the challenge! You guys will be a factor at the end of the year!

Don't put out any excuses!

Reaction Score
Too harsh! I know he’s always been brutally direct with his players but this time he’s just wrong! She, like everyone else on this team is trying to figure out what her role is with this, completely different team! She needs guidance not criticism! She’s well able to handle criticism but in this case, it is misdirected!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll play.

2018-19 Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Batouley Camara (JUCO transfer)
2019-20 Olivia, Batouley, Evelyn Adebayo (grad student)
2020-21 Olivia, Aaliyah Edwards, Piath Gabriel
2021-22 Olivia, Aaliyah, Piath, Dorka, Amari
2022-23 Aaliyah, Dorka, Amari, Ayanna, Ice
2023-24 Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana
2024-25 Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana, ?
2025-26 Ayanna, Ice, Jana, Gandy, ?
UConn also had the 6'5" transfer from Georgetown who hurt her thumb but played fairly well. She transferred out her senior year and led the nation in rebounding.

Reaction Score
UConn also had the 6'5" transfer from Georgetown who hurt her thumb but played fairly well. She transferred out her senior year and led the nation in rebounding.
Yes, Natalie Butler. Wish she had stayed for her senior year. Had a rough first year and was starting to turn the corner in her second year.

Reaction Score
Jones (?) escapes me, but Brink was never coming here and neither was Wilson, or Boston, or Cardoso, or Reese or Betts (or her younger sister).
Yeah it's Boston. I think I had it right in my original post further up in the thread. Wilson took a official visit to UConn and Brink came on a unofficial at her own expense. See post #1333 in the link. Point is that UConn is in on most of the top bigs in every class. Auriemma recruited both Cardoso and Betts out of HS and Betts again from the portal. UConn was on Sienna Betts' final 11 list but obviously didn't get her. There's no indication he was interested in Reese but if he did check in on her it was very briefly. See the 4 links below.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yeah it's Boston. I think I had it right in my original post further up in the thread. Wilson took a official visit to UConn and Brink came on a unofficial at her own expense. See post #1333 in the link. Point is that UConn is in on most of the top bigs in every class. Auriemma recruited both Cardoso and Betts out of HS and Betts again from the portal. UConn was on Sienna Betts' final 11 list but obviously didn't get her. There's no indication he was interested in Reese but if he did check in on her it was very briefly. See the 4 links below.

Geno recruited Reese out of high school. She attended a game at the XL but UConn did not make her final 5. I don't think Geno recruited her out of the portal.

Reaction Score
Geno is right, she did not look aggressive. She did not try to shoot UConn back into the game. But Paige was attracting everyone and they could not get her the ball. Everytime they tried, they turned the ball over. She didn't want the ball and when UConn took her out, Texas didn't know who to guard. UConn went on a run.

Paige may be saving her best for March. I think she's seen herself be creative and beat these teams and then them take things away. I think she's preparing herself for March takeover and know that any games Pre-March, don't matter. UConn will figure out a way to the NCAA and take it from there. She's matured and I don't think she's showing her hand until it matters.

Reaction Score
I mostly agree with you, but when there are no other players reliable draining shots, the defensive focus on her is constant and intense. I wish she would drive less and find more jumpers, as you said.
In other words, play like a wing. Cut and hunt screens to find a spot and Nike will find her. She isn't the point guard in that offense. Exactly what Lou did last year, which resulted in becoming a high first round pick. Of course that goes against her nature, but for the team to be at all successful, that's what she has to do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And there was Jess McCormack, the Aussie

Reaction Score
Rocky, 6-5 girls are not the norm. The below list of top 100 players shows only two, and only 4 that are 6-4, so where is Geno supposed to find these tall women? He’s brought in projects and as you’ve noted, without success. Geno is also recruiting kids from outside the country. It’s not like he’s not trying but the pickings are slim.

I find myself somewhat in the middle of this debate. Husky Nan makes a good point about how rare talented 6-5 girls are, and I agree with her that Geno tries to and has recruited bigs. I also agree with some who point out that many of the bigs on her list have not panned out, at least yet with a few on the current roster.

Some of that is because of the rarity. Very few teams can get a 6-5 difference maker. There are a hand-full each year and only the top programs even have a chance at them. If you miss out on some key bigs, not just 6-5 and up, plan B or C might be a big drop-off (Camara, Abedayo, Gabriel etc.). So it is not that Geno didn't try to get the best bigs, he just missed out on some key ones that he thought we had a good chance for like Boston, Collier, and more recently on others where we know we were on the very short list, but it didn't happen.

Then the factor of injuries that has not sparred our bigs, Jana and Ice missing full years and others like Dorka missing a quite a few games and at the worst time in the Elite 8.

Finally a third factor has been when we do get a highly ranked big, they recently have not met expectations for whatever reason. Ayanna, Ice and Amari were 4, 5, and 15, and Jana if she was from the US probably would have been top 10.. That may not be like getting a Boston, or Strong but it is pretty good, but thus far injuries have hampered three and a third has just under-performed, but at this point we have not seen evidence (yet) that any of those will match their HS ranking. Time will tell on some of them.

So from my perspective there were multiple reasons our bigs have come up short (pun intended). We missed on some of the best, there were few top alternatives after that because they are rare, we have been devastated by injuries there as elsewhere, and some of the high recruits we did get have not met those rankings so far, but it wasn't from a lack of trying.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'd like to call out Geno for the big girl hole in his recruiting for longer than I can remember.
I agree about the lack of a big and it is a real problem. I considered that Auriemma's recruiting failure. Then I remembered that there is a 6'6" player on the bench that has been a total bust and I think he expected much more from her. I also remember a 6'5" player who would have been a senior this year that left the team for pastures that weren't greener. She was also an under achiever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Read the last three names I posted. I'm talking about the ones he did not get. Jones, Brink, and Wilson, all since 2017. What should he have done differently to get them? That's my point.
Not knowing what he did, it's hard to know what he should have different. Maybe prowl the Swedish and Mediteranean beaches in the off season? :D

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
USC Freshman phenon took 25 shots yesterday (made 11 plus FT for 30 points), that’s with a great supporting cast. When you have a stud, you have to ride it hard! Geno is correct!
That supporting cast makes a difference. You cant be the only player they have to defend.

Reaction Score
I agree about the lack of a big and it is a real problem. I considered that Auriemma's recruiting failure. Then I remembered that there is a 6'6" player on the bench that has been a total bust and I think he expected much more from her. I also remember a 6'5" player who would have been a senior this year that left the team for pastures that weren't greener. She was also an under achiever.
Recruiting is like a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, most of the time you lose.

No one should believe that Geno hasn't done everything possible to bring to UConn the very best players (regardless of size) ... that he believes will fit his system (meaning that they have a willingness to learn, are not incorrigible, and will be outstanding citizens on & off the court). That being said, not every player who joins the team will be successful here. Some will be better than others, some will just prove to him (the deciding factor) that they haven't what it takes. Who among you believes they know more about coaching college basketball than Geno??? Some will see the writing on the wall and leave. It's always been that way and always will be.

Reaction Score
I'd like to call out Geno for the big girl hole in his recruiting for longer than I can remember.
Goes to show you how important last years "Tall Blonde" was...she glued the team together, her presence brought out the best in the team.... I would say if we had her or if one of the bigs on todasys bench would step up..and say enough is enough and fill her shoes.... and I might say we probably would be undeafeated at this point....

Reaction Score
Geno said that she dribbled too much and went against 2 to 3 defenders which was not good. My question, those 2/3 defenders came from having to ignore the other players out there with Paige. When 4 starters are below avg. outside shooters, their defenders can fall back to help Paige's defender making it crowded in the lane for her. Having more threat from the 3 point line would open things up for Paige.
Also, Womens college basketball is starting to look more like Rugby, making it hard for player's skills to shine.
The others have to move and call for the ball. If the others don't have confidence in their shot making abilities and are throwing up bricks, what choice does Paige have except dribble to get open?

Reaction Score
The reporter asked a question about Paige that I couldn't quite hear. Geno said...

"Paige...<pause>... um... I dunno. Maybe she's still rusty you know - maybe she's just not in game mode because she hasn't played in so long. Ah... I thought she was lousy today. Quite honestly, I thought she was BAD <emphasized the word>. And um... uh... I told her that. You know, Paige isn't good when it takes 7 dribbles to get her shot off. Paige isn't good when she's gotta take on guys 1 against 2... 1 against 3... going in the lane, you know. Forcing things hoping to get to the free throw line. That's not her game. That's not who she is. So, yeah, I'm chalking it up to she's still rusty. But yeah... no.... no she was not good."
Although Geno's criticism were specifically directed at Paige's play (in response to the question asked) it says as much, if not more, about the play of the players around her and what and how the coaching staff is managing/asking/prepping the team play. Paige is by no means a selfish player. She has always been an opportunist that exploits what the opponent gives her, whether it's a shot, a lane or a great pass. In a flowing offense she has always been able get her shot off against one or even double coverage because she can make her own seperation. In an effective Uconn offense we won't see her have another game like Texas.

In the presser, in both, his bit about Aalyah and the freshmen boost in the fourth, he indicated that the two big approach wasn't working and he needed more shooters so we'd see more small ball. If by having the two bigs we had actually gotten a lot more defense rebounds and could have gotten into a lot more of a transition game (as we were able to do in our best runs last season) our flow and spacing would also be much better. That would in turn allow Paige to get a lot more favorable opportunities that she would exploit. Without that happening, the other option, which sounds like the direction Geno is headed, is to try to get into that rhythm by getting more scorers out there to spread out the offense, which again will allow Paige to get a lot more favorable opportunities.

Our shooting percentage wasn't the issue against Texas, we got killed by having so many less attempts. Going small ball, with the floor spread more and some better lanes for cutting and passing we should be able to get better looks and hopefully our guards can get more offensive rebounds for second chance shots and defense rebounds to get out in transition. We'll have potential problems defensively against teams with a couple effective bigs but as Geno said, to date, the benefits of going the two big route have been non-existent. Getting the offense in better spacing and rhythm is key at this point IMO and the defensive intensity we will need will come. I think for Ball State we'll see Paige, Nika, Shade, Q or Aubrey and Aaliyah start the game with an emphasis on spreading the offense with better ball and player movement to get good looks and everybody working to get rebounds for more shot attempts and to run in transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom