Geno being sued | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Geno being sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, in the complaint there is no mention of "2 players" saying anything. There is a completely different situation described in the complaint.. If the plaintiff has provided 2 different versions of what happened, it does not help their case.

The two major questions that will need to be answered are the following.
1. Did Hardwick report the incident in 2009?
2. Is there any evidence that Geno contacted anyone to have Hardwick removed from security detail?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Meh, Tolbert might have a problem. Geno, less so.

If there are multiple people who corroborate that she reported this in 2009, Tolbert being one of them, then both have a problem.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually, in the complaint there is no mention of "2 players" saying anything. There is a completely different situation described in the complaint.. If the plaintiff has provided 2 different versions of what happened, it does not help their case.

The "2 players" were mentioned by the complainant in her interview with the NY Times. As I recall, there's no mention of the 2 players in the complaint; she simply alleges as fact what she claimed (in the Times interview) the 2 players told her about Geno's comments.

BTW, there were 4 UConn players on that trip (Swin, Renee, Sue and Tina). The other USA players were McCoughtry, Dupree, Wiggins, Harding, Fowles, Christon and Langhorne.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The "2 players" were mentioned by the complainant in her interview with the NY Times. As I recall, there's no mention of the 2 players in the complaint; she simply alleges as fact what she claimed (in the Times interview) the 2 players told her about Geno's comments.

BTW, there were 4 UConn players on that trip (Swin, Renee, Sue and Tina). The other USA players were McCoughtry, Dupree, Wiggins, Harding, Fowles, Christon and Langhorne.

It will be very interesting to hear which players allegedly approached her to report this to her.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Right, there is no mention in the complaint of two players doing anything. But in a NY Times interview, the complainant talks about the 2 players. Interesting discrepancy that I am sure defense lawyers will tear apart.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Right, there is no mention in the complaint of two players doing anything. But in a NY Times interview, the complainant talks about the 2 players. Interesting discrepancy that I am sure defense lawyers will tear apart.

Unless the two players are named and come forward to corroborate the story. Does the defense really want to bring this up if there is a chance that there are two players who will come forward and state that they did go to Hardwick to report that Geno made comments about her? If they state that they did but it wasn't included in the lawsuit how would that benefit the defense? It would only be introducing additional evidence to support her claim.

Hopefully, the two players cannot be identified. If not, that would shoot all sorts of bullets in her claim. If there are two players who went to Hardwick then that would further the claim of improper behavior.

In my mind it still all boils down to the two questions that I mentioned earlier.
1. Was there a report filed in 2009
2. Is there evidence that Geno asked that Hardwick be removed from security detail.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

It's not a big issue. The purpose of the complaint is to set forth enough factual assertions to substantiate the claim for relief and provide notice to the defendant(s) of the claim and the facts that support it. The complaint asserts that Geno's comments were overheard by others. It doesn't matter that the persons who overheard the comments are not identified more specifically. That evidence will come out in discovery and a trial if it goes that far.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Unless the two players are named and come forward to corroborate the story. Does the defense really want to bring this up if there is a chance that there are two players who will come forward and state that they did go to Hardwick to report that Geno made comments about her? If they state that they did but it wasn't included in the lawsuit how would that benefit the defense? It would only be introducing additional evidence to support her claim.

Hopefully, the two players cannot be identified. If not, that would shoot all sorts of bullets in her claim. If there are two players who went to Hardwick then that would further the claim of improper behavior.

In my mind it still all boils down to the two questions that I mentioned earlier.
1. Was there a report filed in 2009
2. Is there evidence that Geno asked that Hardwick be removed from security detail.
If there really were 2 players as alleged in the NY TIMes piece, why were they not named in the complaint?

Possible answers: 1) they do not exist and the person who talked about them with the NYT was mistaken, or 2) they exist, but refuse to be witnesses for the plaintiff.

Either way, not good for the plaintiff.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If there really were 2 players as alleged in the NY TIMes piece, why were they not named in the complaint?

Possible answers: 1) they do not exist and the person who talked about them with the NYT was mistaken, or 2) they exist, but refuse to be witnesses for the plaintiff.

Either way, not good for the plaintiff.

Just because they were not mentioned in the complaint does not mean that they cannot be called to testify under oath. I doubt that every detail is going to be mentioned in the complaint.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It's not a big issue. The purpose of the complaint is to set forth enough factual assertions to substantiate the claim for relief and provide notice to the defendant(s) of the claim and the facts that support it. The complaint asserts that Geno's comments were overheard by others. It doesn't matter that the persons who overheard the comments are not identified more specifically. That evidence will come out in discovery and a trial if it goes that far.
I don't know yet whether it's a big issue or not. I just find it interesting that the complaint has a completely different scenario that gave rise to the alleged Geno comments than is described in the NY Times piece. Not being an attorney, I have no basis for disagreeing with the rest of your comment, but it sounds right to this lay person.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't know yet whether it's a big issue or not. I just find it interesting that the complaint has a completely different scenario that gave rise to the alleged Geno comments than is described in the NY Times piece. Not being an attorney, I have no basis for disagreeing with the rest of your comment, but it sounds right to this lay person.

All the NYT article adds is that two players came to her to say that Geno had made some unflattering, and apparently racially insensitive, things about her. Maybe I am missing it but I don't see how this contradicts anything in the complaint, but I don't remember every detail.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If there are multiple people who corroborate that she reported this in 2009, Tolbert being one of them, then both have a problem.
More of a problem but an insurmountable one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All the NYT article adds is that two players came to her to say that Geno had made some unflattering, and apparently racially insensitive, things about her. Maybe I am missing it but I don't see how this contradicts anything in the complaint, but I don't remember every detail.
Nor does it support it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nor does it support it.

The complaint states that the defendant was overheard calling the plaintiff "ghetto" and having said "I don't know why they are calling Shaniqua over here." It is not detailed who overheard this and how it was reported to Hardwick. Was it the two players? That remains to be determined.

I think that the claims of racially insensitive language would be as alarming than the claim of sexual harassment.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You're really going to town on this topic, eh ETT?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Leaving aside the definition of prejudice .
pre judging people.....which we all do.

... there's a BIG difference from describing your experience to therefore concluding that most fall into a particular category. There's something to be said for (a) recognizing when your experience may be a small non-representative sample, and (b) learning about other people's experiences before drawing a final conclusion.

Nothing to do with "final conclusion". Just a conclusion based on one's experience. Granted a person may (or should) have more experiences, but from any experience they do have, they are going to draw conclusions (no matter the sample size). Why would anyone believe something to be true that flies in the face of their experiences?? Why would I trust your experiences? Especially if they differ from mine? Should you trust mine? Would you trust mine if they differed from yours? (you don't seem to take into accounts OC's in drawing your conclusions.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How ya doing? I get a big smile every time I see you posting! :)

The Cesspool needs you back brother...use it for rehab! Or defibrillator in case of emergency! :eek:

Thank you. Started Rehab this week (got me walking and riding bikes). Be awhile before I can get back to work. Good thing the Euro soccer tournament is on....gives me something to do all day. (besides post on here or the Cesspool ;) - not allowed to get my heart rate up that high :rolleyes:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its a positive sign that other woman have not come forward with stories of unwanted advances; very positive.

Not even at the 24 hour point yet. I, for one, am wary of piling on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm not so sure. All he is being accused of in the intial incident is a rebuffed flirtation. That's not particularly damning. There are a lot of other proof hurdles for the plaintiff to negotiate before she could prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom