Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball" | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I love it. A lot of people won't, I suspect.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I thought it was a great piece. Pat Jordan is a really good writer. Thought it really captured the Geno that (we think) we know and love. The gender stuff is really interesting to me, especially in light of the openings at both UTs.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
"Interesting" ???? And then some.

I'll start with "fascinating".

And add: "the most unvarnished and frank portrayal of Geno I have ever seen."
:) Didn't want to oversell it. I love Deadspin, even though some of their stuff is controversial. I don't know where else you could read a piece like this.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yep, really, really good.

So who's the guy rival coach he fights with? And more importantly, who pulled the fire alarm to end that endless practice. Think that Renee Najarian may be the answer to one of the article's unspoken names. And since UConn is in no way a fun place to play for, the players' smiles have to come from being a close-knit band that are surviving the Geno monster wave.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Fantastic article. Tremendous mixture of chaotic motion in the flow of the writing and the power of the very emotion and passion he speaks of in Geno. A frank piece about a frank man.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Also, 1: Who is the male coach? Calhoun? lol and 2: Which recruit's mother did Geno get into a screaming match with?!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Great article. Every future recruit should be handed a copy of this.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Also, 1: Who is the male coach? Calhoun? lol and 2: Which recruit's mother did Geno get into a screaming match with?!
Calhoun was the first I thought about but the word "rival" with the obvious connection to PHS made me think otherwise. They are rivals on campus to a certain extent even if they're in a different sport, but the baggage Geno put on the coach's reputation makes me think it has to be someone s0me place else. We'll never hear anything about parents unless it's a nice success story as with DT.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The thing with the parents was in his book, it was someone who ended up going to Duke. I can't remember off the top of my head, but the mother was sold on the player going to Duke but came to take her UConn visit anyway, then Geno got in a fight with her about it at a restaurant.

Reaction Score
The thing with the parents was in his book, it was someone who ended up going to Duke. I can't remember off the top of my head, but the mother was sold on the player going to Duke but came to take her UConn visit anyway, then Geno got in a fight with her about it at a restaurant.

Reaction Score

It was Brittany Hunter, she wanted to come to UConn but her parents thought a Duke diploma was better than UConn. Thus Geno said there were as much Duke graduate waitress/waiter as UConn....they just work at better restaurants.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
overall very good article, but disappointed that he felt the need to drop so many f-bombs. really no excuse for that, especially with a reporter. he's certainly intelligent enough to use better words in casual conversation. it's not like he was all fired up and screaming at a ref...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Frank, facinating, brutally honest..possibly one of the most interesting articles I have read about him. I refuse to get caught up in a discussion about the liberal sprinkling of profanity - why not tell it like it is? My sensibilities should not be imposed upon another's. It is a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good read. Geno can be very, very, shall we say, salty. I heard him speak at a political event of sorts several years ago and to say he was off-color is to bring color into the picture unnecessarily.

Reaction Score
overall very good article, but disappointed that he felt the need to drop so many f-bombs. really no excuse for that, especially with a reporter. he's certainly intelligent enough to use better words in casual conversation. it's not like he was all fired up and screaming at a ref...

I disagree. I doubt Geno would clauim to be misquoted.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Yep, really, really good.

So who's the guy rival coach he fights with? And more importantly, who pulled the fire alarm to end that endless practice. Think that Renee Najarian may be the answer to one of the article's unspoken names. And since UConn is in no way a fun place to play for, the players' smiles have to come from being a close-knit band that are surviving the Geno monster wave.

"Since UConn is in no way a fun place to play for."

Nonsense! They have a lot of fun playing at Conn. It's not always a picnic -- that's for sure -- but there are plenty of fun and funny times. Basketball is one of those sports where the better you do it, the more fun it is. The kids pay a price to learn/develop excellence. But they enjoy the end results.

When they travel, they visit all kinds of museums, and historical sights, and fine restaurants.

They "horse around" in the locker room. They make funny movies of themselves. They smile when they do lay-up drills and press interviews. They have treasure hunts in far away places. They have HUGE hugs with teammates after well played games.

In short, the UConn girls stretch every day to get over some high bars; but they are hardly abused.

I like the frankness of the article -- BUT, Geno is not a grump. He knows how to have a good time. He is great friends with many opposing coaches of both genders. He has a soft side which the author really failed to project. He has fun not only with his own players; but often with opposing players. Look at all the compliments he gets from Non-UConn players on the Olympic Team. He is a fun guy to be around before and after practice -- and for many years after his players graduate. When the whistle blows to begin practice, Geno is all about hard work and high standards. But he has great friendships and warm personal skills with his assistant coaches, the team managers, and the players.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
"Since UConn is in no way a fun place to play for."

Nonsense! They have a lot of fun playing at Conn. It's not always a picnic -- that's for sure -- but there are plenty of fun and funny times. Basketball is one of those sports where the better you do it, the more fun it is. The kids pay a price to learn/develop excellence. But they enjoy the end results.

When they travel, they visit all kinds of museums, and historical sights, and fine restaurants.
And make silly videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger