Geno and EDD back together ! | The Boneyard

Geno and EDD back together !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear that the reunion of Elena and Geno is going fabulously. Zero surprise imo.
AS Reno or is it Tony said; When was there a Union? Geno recruited her for CWBB and she was at Storr's for 6 hours, never wore a Uconn suit of honor---she is a great BB player, an asset to the USA Olympic team, Geno was never petty over her leaving--us fans were (yes I include me). This is NOT the first time Geno had EDD working on his USA teams. When the United States of America puts a team on the floor Geno (and so do I) want the best America has facing opponents. I wonder if EDD thinks of the 3 or 4 National titles she could have had??

Reaction Score
When he recruited her and she spent a few days on campus her freshman year.

If memory serves, she moved in one day, played pick-up basketball, spent the night, then the next morning called her parents to pick her up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wonder if EDD thinks of the 3 or 4 National titles she could have had??
I doubt it. Elena was burned out on basketball and needed a break not, 4 years in the biggest wcbb fishbowl. Not everything is about basketball and UConn fans' expectations. Besides, the UConn teams did just fine without her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder if EDD thinks of the 3 or 4 National titles she could have had??
I doubt it. Elena was burned out on basketball and needed a break not 4 years in the biggest wcbb fishbowl. Not everything is about basketball and UConn fans' expectations. Besides, the UConn teams did just fine without her.
I would not be surprised if EDD "thought" about it. I'm sure watching UCONN win all those NC's made her think about what it would have been like to have come to UCONN. BUT... I doubt she feels ANY regret about what she did. Her family and personal life are much more important than any NC's she might have won while at UCONN. And I'm sure if she had to do it all over again, she'd make the same decision.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From 2013:

“It’s great to be here with him,” Delle Donne said after practice. “It was a tough decision to not play for him at UConn, but we’ve always gotten along, and I’m looking forward to learning from him. The way he breaks things down and teaches the game, it’s amazing. I want to be a sponge and soak everything up this weekend.”

Five years later, Auriemma gets to coach touted recruit

In another article she is quoted about "he is the sun" and I just want to soak it up. But I have to go feed the dog, so ....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if EDD "thought" about it. I'm sure watching UCONN win all those NC's made her think about what it would have been like to have come to UCONN. BUT... I doubt she feels ANY regret about what she did. Her family and personal life are much more important than any NC's she might have won while at UCONN. And I'm sure if she had to do it all over again, she'd make the same decision.
But the real thought is this. Yes, her family is clearly important to her. Now however she lives the life of a nomad, living out of suitcases in countries where she a stranger who doesn't speak the language; spending 8 to 10 months of the year away from her family. I respect EDD's past choices and cheer for her. But I also cheer for those (like KLS, KML and Mo) who made the choice to attend The UConn and prepare themselves for this itinerant life they've chosen.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But the real thought is this. Yes, her family is clearly important to her. Now however she lives the life of a nomad, living out of suitcases in countries where she a stranger who doesn't speak the language; spending 8 to 10 months of the year away from her family. I respect EDD's past choices and cheer for her. But I also cheer for those (like KLS, KML and Mo) who made the choice to attend The UConn and prepare themselves for this itinerant life they've chosen.[/QUOTE

Actually EDD has wintered in the States, has not yet (perhaps will not ever) pursued the itinerant life.
Seemingly doesn't need the money, imperfect health, and has other interests, and sources of income...We'll see.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If memory serves, she moved in one day, played pick-up basketball, spent the night, then the next morning called her parents to pick her up.
She spent 2 days at Uconn; then drove herself home in the wee hours of the morning. She did make a statement, later, that Geno could not understand. She said she "hated" basketball since she was 13 years old........well, that's her business, and we should let her be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fed the dog and found that sun article.

“There are so many great coaches out there but there aren’t always great teachers,” she said, “and that’s something that’s always struck me about him -- how great he is at getting his point across, and just continuing to teach. We’re all pros and we’ve heard so many different things. But he kind of explains things in a different way. And it’s been great. I feel like he’s the sun and I’m just trying to soak in all that knowledge. It’s been fun.

“I’m thrilled that I’m able to have him as my coach right now.”

Delle Donne Fits In With the Best

Ah, what might have been. Pensive, sorta glad sorta sad emoticon. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She spent 2 days at Uconn; then drove herself home in the wee hours of the morning. She did make a statement, later, that Geno could not understand. She said she "hated" basketball since she was 13 years old...well, that's her business, and we should let her be.
I though it was more like 67 hours on campus, then she caught a ride from Sue and Diana and another friend and stopped at Wendy's on the way home for some fries. Or was it McDonalds?
Details are water under the bridge, the Uniform she will wear in the Olympics will say USA. Can we all get behind that?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But the real thought is this. Yes, her family is clearly important to her. Now however she lives the life of a nomad, living out of suitcases in countries where she a stranger who doesn't speak the language; spending 8 to 10 months of the year away from her family. I respect EDD's past choices and cheer for her. But I also cheer for those (like KLS, KML and Mo) who made the choice to attend The UConn and prepare themselves for this itinerant life they've chosen.
JordyG - not an issue with this post, but the medical situation with EDD's sister and her being unable to communicate in any way without being physically present in the room with her, makes a comparison to any other young person leaving home incomplete. Lou, KML, and Mo could call, video chat, text, and email with family daily while EDD realized she was going to be completely cut off from her sister for months at a time. When she graduated she was 4/5 years older, more mature, and more able to deal with that separation.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I though it was more like 67 hours on campus, then she caught a ride from Sue and Diana and another friend and stopped at Wendy's on the way home for some fries. Or was it McDonalds?
Details are water under the bridge, the Uniform she will wear in the Olympics will say USA. Can we all get behind that?
She arrived on campus on June 1, 2008. On the night of June 3, 2008, she called a friend to come and get her. She arrived home at 7:15 AM.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elena made the best decision for herself. I respect that, though, as a fan, I was disappointed. I think she'd be an even better player now if she had spent 4 years with Geno.

On a different subject--is UConn too good for the game?--think about it. Add Elena to a roster that had Maya, Tina, Renee, Tiffany, Kalana, et al. The 90-game streak could have been 120 or 150. We could have had NCs in 2011 and 2012. We could have had the NPOY for several years in a row. When I look back, I think it would have been great to have Elena--but it might have been unfair.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Elena made the best decision for herself. I respect that, though, as a fan, I was disappointed. I think she'd be an even better player now if she had spent 4 years with Geno.

On a different subject--is UConn too good for the game?--think about it. Add Elena to a roster that had Maya, Tina, Renee, Tiffany, Kalana, et al. The 90-game streak could have been 120 or 150. We could have had NCs in 2011 and 2012. We could have had the NPOY for several years in a row. When I look back, I think it would have been great to have Elena--but it might have been unfair.
I agree that as fans we are usually very greedy, and EDD deciding to leave was 'devastating'. And yes, had she been here for four years and been happy, that would have been an amazing four years, but if she was depressed and miserable it could well have been disastrous as well.
And when you play that 'what if' game you never know who would have been recruited, how strongly they would have been pursued, and how they would have viewed the team and their role on it had EDD been on it. Maybe KML or Stewart decides to go elsewhere, or Morgan or ....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

TonyC said 195 :oops:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that as fans we are usually very greedy, and EDD deciding to leave was 'devastating'. And yes, had she been here for four years and been happy, that would have been an amazing four years, but if she was depressed and miserable it could well have been disastrous as well.
And when you play that 'what if' game you never know who would have been recruited, how strongly they would have been pursued, and how they would have viewed the team and their role on it had EDD been on it. Maybe KML or Stewart decides to go elsewhere, or Morgan or ....
Agreed. Everything else isn't necessarily equal.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Elena was burned out on basketball and needed a break not, 4 years in the biggest wcbb fishbowl. Not everything is about basketball and UConn fans' expectations. Besides, the UConn teams did just fine without her.
Great post.BN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who knows? I'll bet she has a moment or two of what if.

Life about making decisions and she made hers. I guess she's done okay since...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She arrived on campus on June 1, 2008. On the night of June 3, 2008, she called a friend to come and get her. She arrived home at 7:15 AM.
Does this post feel just a little creepy to anyone else?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc