Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ND is pretty close in that respect. Duke could be, but with their choice of coach has decided otherwise.
Duke is close but ND is not quite at that level academically and has lost a number of transfers over the past few years: Patberg, Boley, Patterson, etc.

But when it comes to the very best of the best in academic excellence in this country there is MIT, the Ivies and Stanford, and only Stanford combines that academic strength with a perennial top 10 basketball program.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Getting Westbrook was not need-based recruiting, unless you consider filling out a roster with the best available talent you can find a need.
I would say that's it. Geno doesn't really turn down talent that he thinks will fit in and help UCONN. He doesn't necessarily "need" guards the next couple of years, but he definitely has a need for players (just from a body count). So why not bring in the best he can find? Again, that he thinks will fit in and will help.

He recruited Williams/Jones/Cash who all played the same position. If Hailey Van Lith still wants to come to UCONN, I doubt Geno will say, no, we got enough guards.

Reaction Score
Just my two cents - I think Geno has been reluctant to take on too many transfers in the past because their style of play takes so long to learn, so if he has them only for a year or two it's hard to integrate them into the UConn style of play. I think he's had to evolve and take transfers to fill in gaps when we didn't get new recruits. I think he would always prefer 4 year players, but that's not how it is anymore in a lot of cases.

Reaction Score
My opinion, which is only mine, and not worth a sh....t, is that Geno is not finished with his recruiting. I think that we are going to see a very tall person and a medium tall person like 6' 3" to also join this team. I got a feeling that he is pissed off about past recruiting and is going to make up for this with a powerhouse team.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Retirement and sitting by the fire with a glass of 2005 Chateau Petrus Pomerol?

And In my retirement future just a California Cab. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom