Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I’m reminded of the quote from Moneyball, when A’s GM Billy Beene (played by Brad Pitt) tells his senior scout, “Adapt or die.”

Charles Darwin must have seen "Moneyball."
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. "

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I knew this, @oldude, but hadn’t really thought about it. Thanks for stating it so clearly:

“He then went out and signed the highest rated transfer ever in WBB.”

Though I wonder if signing Brit Hunter surpassed that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He could have accepted that he had 4 and 1 frosh and played with that group plus Irwin and Bent. My belief is he could have reached the Elite with that group (assuming no injuries). Geno always has/had choices. I'm thankful he beat the bushes and (it looks like) he won.

Occurs to me there are a few elite college coaches licking their wounds over the Muhl and Makurat recruitings. Both are sort of a Kia Nurse story. UConn got in very late, but for both when CD's "we like you" e-mail arrived it was pretty much over, with the clincher being the in home with "the rock star." According to Ania her whole family is still considering that it may have been a group hallucination.

Postscript edit: Rambling around this PM I ran into a Q & A with Ania in Poland. Translation is a bit rough, but in further confirmation of the swoop in: "AM: I am a big fan of Diana Taurasi. When I was a child, I followed her closely and the only team I always followed was UConn. I already knew a lot about the university itself, about Gino's trainer, about the whole history of this "program" and when they spoke to me, I hardly thought about it. It was a dream come true for me."

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Occurs to me there are a few elite college coaches licking their wounds over the Muhl and Makurat recruitings. Both are sort of a Kia Nurse story. UConn got in very late, but for both when CD's "we like you" e-mail arrived it was pretty much over, with the clincher being the in home with "the rock star." According to Ania her whole family is still considering that it may have been a group hallucination.
Spot-on, Rocky. Getting in late doesn't always work, but it sure has sometimes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hehe, 'geno adapts.' im thinking, based solely on his resume, that the entire world of wbb has been trying real hard to adapt to geno. new normal? nah, same ol, same ol. ''meet the new boss, same as the old boss.' geno is the bestest...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is a somewhat common misunderstanding that Geno can be rigid and inflexible. Certainly, Geno will never compromise his core values of teamwork, effort, character, etc. But Geno is the most successful coach in the history of WBB precisely because of his ability to learn and adapt. He’s said as much when he commented that he, “always learns something from every basketball game he watches, whether it’s the pros, college or high school.” After he learns something new, Geno frequently incorporates what he has learned with his team.

Three trends in recruiting have dramatically changed the nature of college basketball. The increase in undergraduate transfers, graduate transfers and overseas players have created a New Normal in WBB. While Geno has brought in some transfers with Nat, Z and Batouly, the results so far have been mixed at best. For the most part, Geno has been slow to adapt to the New Normal, and who could blame him. When UConn won their last of 4 straight championships in 2016, the Huskies did so with a 7-player rotation that was entirely comprised of 4-year players recruited as freshmen from North America. Six of those players were 1st team AA’s. The 7th was one of 3 NDPOY’s on that team. Who needs transfers and overseas players?

Three years later the landscape in WBB has completely changed. Each of the last three national championship teams have started one or more transfers. In the most recent FF, 3 out of 4 teams started one or more transfers and/or overseas players. Of course, the exception was UConn. Finally, the MOP of the FF was Baylor’s Chloe Jackson, a transfer. As Kim Mulkey astutely pointed out, “Unfortunately we are in the transfer business.”

Clearly Geno has been watching all of this unfold and, to a great extent, necessity has forced UConn to change its approach. Once Geno whiffed on the top three HS recruits in the 2019 class, Geno was prepared to adapt to the New Normal, and he did so with a vengeance. Geno received commitments from three overseas players, including UConn’s first ever graduate transfer. He then went out and signed the highest rated transfer ever in WBB. Oh, and by the way, Geno also received a commitment from the top-rated player in the Class of 2020. Every one of the players Geno has picked up in the last few months are supremely talented scorers who share the ball. What is scary, at least for the rest of WBB, is that it doesn’t feel like Geno is done just yet. Stay tuned.

One final point. Many of us, myself included, have argued that any other team would be ecstatic to play in each of the past three FF’s. It’s now reasonably clear to me that Geno doesn’t share that sentiment. He is as competitive as ever. Geno is adapting to Recruiting’s New Normal and he is driven by an irrepressible goal to see more banners raised into the rafters at Gampel Pavilion.
Trust @oldude. Point for point he is on point. Again.

Reaction Score
It’s what Jeff got roasted for doing for years. Geno now gets praised for it.

Aside from Delle Donne, seems like Westbrook ties Kaela Davis for highest ranked transfer.

arch

Reaction Score
Whether Geno is the greatest coach or just tenacious I'll let the BB history books speak to that, to this point in time, he certainly is the winningest in WCBB.

Is he or is he “almost”.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hmm lets think for a moment... What is this thread about? Transfers.

But Jeff hasn't been roasted for bringing transfers in to his program for years. Before this year he's brought in very few. In fact, I can only think of one during the past few years. Jeff has been criticized for how many recruits he offers (and how early) and how many players transfer out of his program. The latter point seems to be a favorite target of Raoul.

Again, I don't see your point.

Reaction Score
But Jeff hasn't been roasted for bringing transfers in to his program for years. Before this year he's brought in very few. In fact, I can only think of one during the past few years. Jeff has been criticized for how many recruits he offers (and how early) and how many players transfer out of his program. The latter point seems to be a favorite target of Raoul.

Again, I don't see your point.
Raoul has targeted each South Carolina, Louisville, and UConn for the high transfer rates out of those programs. Those three seem to be the highest among elite programs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Raoul has targeted each South Carolina, Louisville, and UConn for the high transfer rates out of those programs. Those three seem to be the highest among elite programs.

And no one is praising Geno for that.

Reaction Score
Very thoughtful post as usual. Auriemma's behavior always has confirmed that: 1) he will confess when he is wrong, a most rare quality in our society; and 2) he always is looking to learn and get better at what he does. I do have a caveat that likely applies to fans more than Auriemma or your thesis.

It once was common to read a great number of posts on the Boneyard that what distinguished Auriemma from Tennessee, with either Summitt or Warlick, was his need-based recruiting strictly satisfying certain criteria, rather than recruiting that stockpiles talent. With this in mind, getting Westbrook as a transfer from Tennessee is the height of irony. Auriemma has proven he can when championships with a 6'7" center or a 6'2" center (or 6'3", twice, with Jessica Moore). He can win championships with Bird or Conlon as the starting PG (does anyone think Conlon is a better athlete than either Bent or Irwin? Really? It irks me whenever I read something like Bent and Irwin are not Div I athletes). He potentially can win championships with the roster he has just compiled, but let's be honest. Getting Westbrook was not need-based recruiting, unless you consider filling out a roster with the best available talent you can find a need. I also suspect that Walker, not Auriemma, did the real recruiting of Westbrook and Auriemma sort of just signed on. Even so, whether it concerns Auriemma in the present or some other coaches in the present or past, hopefully some BY posters can acknowledge that need-based acquiring of talent is not always within a coach's control, not even a coach like Auriemma.
Concol had better fight, nerve, and court positioning so that DT could her thing. Molly could be that person if she could calm her nerve long enough to think.

Reaction Score
And no one is praising Geno for that.
Not my point. Geno was always heralded for never taking in transfers where as coaches such as Schaefer, Semrau, Staley, etc. were knocked on for doing so.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not my point. Geno was always heralded for never taking in transfers where as coaches such as Schaefer, Semrau, Staley, etc. were knocked on for doing so.

But your point involved Jeff. Now you've switched from Jeff to Semrau, Staley etc. Whatever.

Geno took in 2 transfers 3 years ago. He has signed 2 transfers this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom