Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Raoul has targeted each South Carolina, Louisville, and UConn for the high transfer rates out of those programs. Those three seem to be the highest among elite programs.

I think there are a few programs (Oregon, Oregon State, MSST... perhaps a few others) that are about to be in that same boat. There are some ladies in those programs who are going to be unhappy with their PT and bounce. Now there are more great players than there is space in the best programs.

Reaction Score
But your point involved Jeff. Now you've switched from Jeff to Semrau, Staley etc. Whatever.

Geno took in 2 transfers 3 years ago. He has signed 2 transfers this year.
Yep, UConn will have more transfers on the roster than South Carolina, Mississippi State, or Florida State.

Reaction Score
I think there are a few programs (Oregon, Oregon State, MSST... perhaps a few others) that are about to be in that same boat. There are some ladies in those programs who are going to be unhappy with their PT and bounce. Now there are more great players than there is space in the best programs.
Will be interesting to see how Rueck keeps all those bigs happy at Oregon State. He has had very few players transfer out over the past few years. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 1-2 of the bigs leave eventually.

Vic keeps a big roster, which is always a recipe for transfers.

Oregon already had a little exodus of their own with Campisano, McGwire, Maley, and Woods. I’m not sure we see a lot of players leave there just because spots will open up with Ionescu and Hebard leaving and then Sabally and Boley.

Reaction Score
Raoul has targeted each South Carolina, Louisville, and UConn for the high transfer rates out of those programs. Those three seem to be the highest among elite programs.

I take it we should be expecting Raoul to comment on UConn's high transfer rates "in" for this season?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I take it we should be expecting Raoul to comment on UConn's high transfer rates "in" for this season?

He did 3 years ago after UConn signed Batouly and Azura. His criticism then was that UConn's roster was filled with too many players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well if so, what you're saying is Stanford is never going to win again, because we've had one transfer in in Tara's 30 years on the farm. And because I refuse to accept that conclusion, you must be wrong, wrong, wrong! ;)
Stanford is the exception to the rule. The prestige of a Stanford education, along with a tradition of WBB success allows Tara to attract quality and hold onto it. There is not another D1 program in the nation that combines those advantages.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It’s what Jeff got roasted for doing for years. Geno now gets praised for it.

Aside from Delle Donne, seems like Westbrook ties Kaela Davis for highest ranked transfer.
Actually ...

If not for injury, Brittany Hunter could have been a combo of Candace Parker and Tina Charles. She was Wall of Honor and Hall of Fame material.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually ...

If not for injury, Brittany Hunter could have been a combo of Candace Parker and Tina Charles. She was Wall of Honor and Hall of Fame material.

View attachment 43191

What GG did to her, lusting for a crown, was sickening.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is a somewhat related question, to which I do not know the answer:

Did Geno tell Mikayla Coombs that he expected one or two highly rated guards to transfer in and be eligible to play next season? And did that cause her decision to transfer out?

I obviously have no inside knowledge, but my answers are that he almost certainly DID tell her that in a postseason discussion of her future at UConn, and that information probably prompted her decision to transfer. That is based mostly on the rather long time interval between the end of the season and her announcement. If she had been planning to transfer for next year during last year’s season, she would have made her announcement right after the last game.

If there were going to be no changes to the roster other than Aubrey’s arrival, Mikayla could have reasonably expected to be the third guard and (with some work on her jump shot during the summer) get a good number of minutes. But if she was going to have to compete with other good guards, that expectation would be far less realistic.

I don’t think that UConn would have lost Mikayla from the roster if Geno had not been honest with her about the likelihood of incoming guard transfers. And considering that they were not a sure thing at that point, his decision to be honest with her was not without risk.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

Did Geno tell Mikayla Coombs that he expected one or two highly rated guards to transfer in and be eligible to play next season? And did that cause her decision to transfer out?

I obviously have no inside knowledge, but my answers are that he almost certainly DID tell her that in a postseason discussion of her future at UConn, and that information probably prompted her decision to transfer. That is based mostly on the rather long time interval between the end of the season and her announcement. If she had been planning to transfer for next year during last year’s season, she would have made her announcement right after the last game.

If there were going to be no changes to the roster other than Aubrey’s arrival, Mikayla could have reasonably expected to be the third guard and (with some work on her jump shot during the summer) get a good number of minutes. But if she was going to have to compete with other good guards, that expectation would be far less realistic.

I don’t think that UConn would have lost Mikayla from the roster if Geno had not been honest with her about the likelihood of incoming guard transfers. And considering that they were not a sure thing at that point, his decision to be honest with her was not without risk.
I have no inside info but my guess is that she was frustrated with her offense and that Geno did not trust her in big games. I don't think Westbrook effected her decision but I think Anna, Nika and Page did. She would not have started as a junior no matter who was coming and the influx of players made the writing on the wall.

Too bad. I think she will figure it out at Georgia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Mikayla announced her decision after Paige and Nika committed. So she knew that she might have competition in her senior year. I believe that Geno probably knew that Ania was coming and simply waiting for her season in Poland to end before announcing. So Mikayla likely knew there would be added competition in her junior year. I don't know if Geno would tell Mikayla exactly where she is in the pecking order, but he probably explained his vision for the new recruits. This may have been one of those cases where someone leaving gives an indication that other players are about to commit to come in.

Reaction Score

Of course I'm not Geno but I do lead a large organization and I have think that end of the year sort of performance discussion/review that he does had to focus on if she intended to put the work in on her shot during the off season to improve her offense so she could get on the floor. I have to assume by her transfer that she wasn't willing to do what it would take to fix her shot or she is living in a fantasy that it is fine. Either way that means transfer and a coach in need of players like GA will tell her what she wants to hear to get her to sign. In the end, the player makes the decision not Geno. They choose to do the work or not. Totally in their control since it is their mind and body.

Reaction Score
I believe that Mikayla announced her decision after Paige and Nika committed. So she knew that she might have competition in her senior year. I believe that Geno probably knew that Ania was coming and simply waiting for her season in Poland to end before announcing. So Mikayla likely knew there would be added competition in her junior year. I don't know if Geno would tell Mikayla exactly where she is in the pecking order, but he probably explained his vision for the new recruits. This may have been one of those cases where someone leaving gives an indication that other players are about to commit to come in.
Certainly makes sense. Nika does not shoot the ball well herself from deep (11-65 in her past season), so it will be interesting to see if she struggles to find minutes as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno does hold end of season reviews with all of his returning players during which he is very frank with them about what they need to do to earn playing time and/or start next season. While he may not have specifically told Mikayla who else was going to be on the roster, I do expect that Geno was completely honest with her about her offensive shortcomings. Add in that Mikayla did not see the floor after UConn’s 1st round game and I’m sure Mikayla could read the writing on the wall.

As for her awkward shot, I’m sure Mikayla has put in hours and hours trying to fix it. Unfortunately, she has a fundamentally flawed shot that I am afraid is not fixable.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Of course I'm not Geno but I do lead a large organization and I have think that end of the year sort of performance discussion/review that he does had to focus on if she intended to put the work in on her shot during the off season to improve her offense so she could get on the floor. I have to assume by her transfer that she wasn't willing to do what it would take to fix her shot or she is living in a fantasy that it is fine. Either way that means transfer and a coach in need of players like GA will tell her what she wants to hear to get her to sign. In the end, the player makes the decision not Geno. They choose to do the work or not. Totally in their control since it is their mind and body.
There is another possibility that you don't mention. Maybe Mikayla recognizes the problem with her jump shot and is willing to put in time and effort over the summer to fix it, but she is understandably concerned that even if she does that, she will still get beaten out by the new talent that Geno is bringing in. That would be a very rational and realistic concern for her. It would also motivate a transfer.

And if that were to happen, it would not be "totally in her control". Is it totally under Molly's control that she is not playing more, or is she simply not as talented as her present and future competition?

Reaction Score
Stanford is the exception to the rule. The prestige of a Stanford education, along with a tradition of WBB success allows Tara to attract quality and hold onto it. There is not another D1 program in the nation that combines those advantages.
ND is pretty close in that respect. Duke could be, but with their choice of coach has decided otherwise.

Reaction Score
ND is pretty close in that respect. Duke could be, but with their choice of coach has decided otherwise.
Of course, the trashing of the coach and program on every available WCBB site by disgruntled Dukies had nothing to do with the decline in quality recruits either.

Reaction Score
There is another possibility that you don't mention. Maybe Mikayla recognizes the problem with her jump shot and is willing to put in time and effort over the summer to fix it, but she is understandably concerned that even if she does that, she will still get beaten out by the new talent that Geno is bringing in. That would be a very rational and realistic concern for her. It would also motivate a transfer.

And if that were to happen, it would not be "totally in her control". Is it totally under Molly's control that she is not playing more, or is she simply not as talented as her present and future competition?
That level of self doubt would also be important and be a source of transfer. Self doubt isn't really possible if you are going to start at UConn.....

Reaction Score
It is a somewhat common misunderstanding that Geno can be rigid and inflexible. Certainly, Geno will never compromise his core values of teamwork, effort, character, etc. But Geno is the most successful coach in the history of WBB precisely because of his ability to learn and adapt. He’s said as much when he commented that he, “always learns something from every basketball game he watches, whether it’s the pros, college or high school.” After he learns something new, Geno frequently incorporates what he has learned with his team.

Three trends in recruiting have dramatically changed the nature of college basketball. The increase in undergraduate transfers, graduate transfers and overseas players have created a New Normal in WBB. While Geno has brought in some transfers with Nat, Z and Batouly, the results so far have been mixed at best. For the most part, Geno has been slow to adapt to the New Normal, and who could blame him. When UConn won their last of 4 straight championships in 2016, the Huskies did so with a 7-player rotation that was entirely comprised of 4-year players recruited as freshmen from North America. Six of those players were 1st team AA’s. The 7th was one of 3 NDPOY’s on that team. Who needs transfers and overseas players?

Three years later the landscape in WBB has completely changed. Each of the last three national championship teams have started one or more transfers. In the most recent FF, 3 out of 4 teams started one or more transfers and/or overseas players. Of course, the exception was UConn. Finally, the MOP of the FF was Baylor’s Chloe Jackson, a transfer. As Kim Mulkey astutely pointed out, “Unfortunately we are in the transfer business.”

Clearly Geno has been watching all of this unfold and, to a great extent, necessity has forced UConn to change its approach. Once Geno whiffed on the top three HS recruits in the 2019 class, Geno was prepared to adapt to the New Normal, and he did so with a vengeance. Geno received commitments from three overseas players, including UConn’s first ever graduate transfer. He then went out and signed the highest rated transfer ever in WBB. Oh, and by the way, Geno also received a commitment from the top-rated player in the Class of 2020. Every one of the players Geno has picked up in the last few months are supremely talented scorers who share the ball. What is scary, at least for the rest of WBB, is that it doesn’t feel like Geno is done just yet. Stay tuned.

One final point. Many of us, myself included, have argued that any other team would be ecstatic to play in each of the past three FF’s. It’s now reasonably clear to me that Geno doesn’t share that sentiment. He is as competitive as ever. Geno is adapting to Recruiting’s New Normal and he is driven by an irrepressible goal to see more banners raised into the rafters at Gampel Pavilion.
I’m sick of the narrative that transfers are bad for College basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom