Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal | The Boneyard

Geno Adapts to Recruiting's New Normal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is a somewhat common misunderstanding that Geno can be rigid and inflexible. Certainly, Geno will never compromise his core values of teamwork, effort, character, etc. But Geno is the most successful coach in the history of WBB precisely because of his ability to learn and adapt. He’s said as much when he commented that he, “always learns something from every basketball game he watches, whether it’s the pros, college or high school.” After he learns something new, Geno frequently incorporates what he has learned with his team.

Three trends in recruiting have dramatically changed the nature of college basketball. The increase in undergraduate transfers, graduate transfers and overseas players have created a New Normal in WBB. While Geno has brought in some transfers with Nat, Z and Batouly, the results so far have been mixed at best. For the most part, Geno has been slow to adapt to the New Normal, and who could blame him. When UConn won their last of 4 straight championships in 2016, the Huskies did so with a 7-player rotation that was entirely comprised of 4-year players recruited as freshmen from North America. Six of those players were 1st team AA’s. The 7th was one of 3 NDPOY’s on that team. Who needs transfers and overseas players?

Three years later the landscape in WBB has completely changed. Each of the last three national championship teams have started one or more transfers. In the most recent FF, 3 out of 4 teams started one or more transfers and/or overseas players. Of course, the exception was UConn. Finally, the MOP of the FF was Baylor’s Chloe Jackson, a transfer. As Kim Mulkey astutely pointed out, “Unfortunately we are in the transfer business.”

Clearly Geno has been watching all of this unfold and, to a great extent, necessity has forced UConn to change its approach. Once Geno whiffed on the top three HS recruits in the 2019 class, Geno was prepared to adapt to the New Normal, and he did so with a vengeance. Geno received commitments from three overseas players, including UConn’s first ever graduate transfer. He then went out and signed the highest rated transfer ever in WBB. Oh, and by the way, Geno also received a commitment from the top-rated player in the Class of 2020. Every one of the players Geno has picked up in the last few months are supremely talented scorers who share the ball. What is scary, at least for the rest of WBB, is that it doesn’t feel like Geno is done just yet. Stay tuned.

One final point. Many of us, myself included, have argued that any other team would be ecstatic to play in each of the past three FF’s. It’s now reasonably clear to me that Geno doesn’t share that sentiment. He is as competitive as ever. Geno is adapting to Recruiting’s New Normal and he is driven by an irrepressible goal to see more banners raised into the rafters at Gampel Pavilion.

Reaction Score
It is a somewhat common misunderstanding that Geno can be rigid and inflexible. Certainly, Geno will never compromise his core values of teamwork, effort, character, etc. But Geno is the most successful coach in the history of WBB precisely because of his ability to learn and adapt. He’s said as much when he commented that he, “always learns something from every basketball game he watches, whether it’s the pros, college or high school.” After he learns something new, Geno frequently incorporates what he has learned with his team.

Three trends in recruiting have dramatically changed the nature of college basketball. The increase in undergraduate transfers, graduate transfers and overseas players have created a New Normal in WBB. While Geno has brought in some transfers with Nat, Z and Batouly, the results so far have been mixed at best. For the most part, Geno has been slow to adapt to the New Normal, and who could blame him. When UConn won their last of 4 straight championships in 2016, the Huskies did so with a 7-player rotation that was entirely comprised of 4-year players recruited as freshmen from North America. Six of those players were 1st team AA’s. The 7th was one of 3 NDPOY’s on that team. Who needs transfers and overseas players?

Three years later the landscape in WBB has completely changed. Each of the last three national championship teams have started one or more transfers. In the most recent FF, 3 out of 4 teams started one or more transfers and/or overseas players. Of course, the exception was UConn. Finally, the MOP of the FF was Baylor’s Chloe Jackson, a transfer. As Kim Mulkey astutely pointed out, “Unfortunately we are in the transfer business.”

Clearly Geno has been watching all of this unfold and, to a great extent, necessity has forced UConn to change its approach. Once Geno whiffed on the top three HS recruits in the 2019 class, Geno was prepared to adapt to the New Normal, and he did so with a vengeance. Geno received commitments from three overseas players, including UConn’s first ever graduate transfer. He then went out and signed the highest rated transfer ever in WBB. Oh, and by the way, Geno also received a commitment from the top-rated player in the Class of 2020. Every one of the players Geno has picked up in the last few months are supremely talented scorers who share the ball. What is scary, at least for the rest of WBB, is that it doesn’t feel like Geno is done just yet. Stay tuned.

One final point. Many of us, myself included, have argued that any other team would be ecstatic to play in each of the past three FF’s. It’s now reasonably clear to me that Geno doesn’t share that sentiment. He is as competitive as ever. Geno is adapting to Recruiting’s New Normal and he is driven by an irrepressible goal to see more banners raised into the rafters at Gampel Pavilion.
Well written and I also agree with the fact that Geno has started to adapt. I believe this year his press conferences and interviews showed a lot more patience and more praise for his players. In his Geno Auriemma shows you could hear him hint that he knows he’s got to be a little more aware of the environment with todays players. He has a tremendous respect for Coach K who I think has also adapted and I think he sees that it can work.

Reaction Score

Finally an intelligent person that agrees with me. I've been posting for some years now : When speaking of Geno NEVER SAY NEVER. Geno is NOT the rigid person many attribute to him. He is pragmatic, he adjusts to the times. He modified his tough attitude to the new NORM of kids who won't put up with RIGIDITY. He changed his views on TRANSFERS He swallowed his "I won't play the Vols until they apologize TO MAYA and family. Guess what--Uconn will be playing U Tenn.
ONE truism of GENO---he hates to lose. I'm not sure he is driven by banners or cups or awards--it winning.
Whether Geno is the greatest coach or just tenacious I'll let the BB history books speak to that, to this point in time, he certainly is the winningest in WCBB.

Reaction Score
What other choices regarding transfers and international did Geno have this year?
He could have accepted that he had 4 and 1 frosh and played with that group plus Irwin and Bent. My belief is he could have reached the Elite with that group (assuming no injuries). Geno always has/had choices. I'm thankful he beat the bushes and (it looks like) he won.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What other choices regarding transfers and international did Geno have this year?
Just a few years back Geno commented that, “There is no Plan B” if he missed on his top recruits. Clearly, Geno had a Plan B ready to go this year that appears to be a tremendous success. That is a significant difference in the evolution of UConn’s recruiting strategy.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
2016 might end up being the last year that a team wins a title without a transfer as a key player:

2017: SC wins with Davis and Gray.
2018: ND wins with Shepard.
2019: Baylor wins with Jackson.

Reaction Score
Its just part of the game now. I think we need to be prepared for some one and done players. In the men's game its freshman and in the women's game its grad transfers and red shirt seniors....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Retirement and sitting by the fire with a glass of 2005 Chateau Petrus Pomerol?
At about $5 grand per bottle, even with Geno’s bank account, that could get a little expensive.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. Geno can adapt to the realities of recruiting and the increase in competitive programs but don't expect him to start playing 9 player rotations unless the bench players earn playing time in practice. I predict there will be alot of consternation on the BY when some of our bench players do not get as many minutes as may be expected and start to worry that they will look elsewhere. With so many new players with diverse and impressive pedigrees, it will be a bumpy (but thrilling :) ) ride.

Reaction Score
I think we are pushing this much further than it need be. Conn- not unlike a number of other schools (especially state schools) have not had to go the international, transfer, or other routes because the top placers were knocking the door to come in. (indeed, they and related schools recruited nationally. The latter was the key word then, as many of the lower tier schools fought to hold local kids, or fed-off good players but players who may not have the academic qualif. for top colleges. Yet, Uconn went all the way to Russia and recently to Canada, and they have tried and missed on others. If what I am saying is correct (including transfers) your point about 'adapting' to something new is overstated. Including your secondary point about limited success. How are you evaluating success? Winning a championship? Players are recruited for a lot of reasons-- championships/winning if it can stand alone, is only one of any number o things. I don't think I would be naive in saying that he he recruited a grad transfer so that Liv will have an experience big to practice with and be toughen up by (perhaps a lot better than a 6.1 guard. And the grad transf. get coaching, an opportunity to improve on her bb resume and thereby a shot at the WNBA, etc. Not to mention a MS degree. Wesbrook may be in a similar situation. I would not be surprise if she leaves with her class in 2-years. In 2-years at Uconn she and the school are gambling that she can get to where she needs to be, and the school gets a 2-year experience guard for practice and at least 1-year of play.
I know that ND and SC had transfers and relied heavily on them in winning, but this may have been timely happenings. I doubt that either of these schools are out hunting for the likes of what they had.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is right.

Good. Maybe you can interpret what she means when she says "thought I would give this another run". Is she projecting what Geno is thinking about making another NC run ? I guess that makes sense but I wish twitterer's would be more clear. :confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good. Maybe you can interpret what she means when she says "thought I would give this another run". Is she projecting what Geno is thinking about making another NC run ? I guess that makes sense but I wish twitterer's would be more clear. :confused:

She initially made the observation after the signing of Odebayo and Makurat. Now she's saying it again after Westbrook.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Very thoughtful post as usual. Auriemma's behavior always has confirmed that: 1) he will confess when he is wrong, a most rare quality in our society; and 2) he always is looking to learn and get better at what he does. I do have a caveat that likely applies to fans more than Auriemma or your thesis.

It once was common to read a great number of posts on the Boneyard that what distinguished Auriemma from Tennessee, with either Summitt or Warlick, was his need-based recruiting strictly satisfying certain criteria, rather than recruiting that stockpiles talent. With this in mind, getting Westbrook as a transfer from Tennessee is the height of irony. Auriemma has proven he can when championships with a 6'7" center or a 6'2" center (or 6'3", twice, with Jessica Moore). He can win championships with Bird or Conlon as the starting PG (does anyone think Conlon is a better athlete than either Bent or Irwin? Really? It irks me whenever I read something like Bent and Irwin are not Div I athletes). He potentially can win championships with the roster he has just compiled, but let's be honest. Getting Westbrook was not need-based recruiting, unless you consider filling out a roster with the best available talent you can find a need. I also suspect that Walker, not Auriemma, did the real recruiting of Westbrook and Auriemma sort of just signed on. Even so, whether it concerns Auriemma in the present or some other coaches in the present or past, hopefully some BY posters can acknowledge that need-based acquiring of talent is not always within a coach's control, not even a coach like Auriemma.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Exceptional analysis! I would add that Geno has been ahead of the curve of women's basketball for well over 20 years. Who was the first to incorporate the "read and react" offense - Geno. Yes others have adapted a form of this offense but it was Geno who brought it in.

Now Geno adapts to the new normal of transfers, grad transfers and European players. I think you will see that Geno will become the master of this type of recruiting.

It won't be long before the phrase "UConn is bad for women's basketball" will be heard again! I can't wait.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She initially made the observation after the signing of Odebayo and Makurat. Now she's saying it again after Westbrook.

Ok. So your interpretation is that LaChyna thinks the first 2 signings were low key and not very important but the Westbrook transfer is on another level and a game changer. Plausible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom