Geno--5 More Years!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno--5 More Years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only way that Mulkey gets there is by playing those games against the plus 200 rated teams, like Northwestern State.
With al least 5 more years (175+ more games), Geno would fortify a historically singularly stellar coaching career:

Games | Wins # | Win-Loss Percentage |

# It seems Tara Vanderveer got credit for 60 games related to (52 exhibition for + 8 actual games in) the 1996 Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno is amazing. I love that he is still motivated, loves the game, loves the kids he coaches, it's just so great.

I know we will be discussing his total wins as he continues to put up numbers that will likely never be equaled, but I'm still hoping for a NC or 3 over the next 5 years...!!

At any rate, hopefully this will stop the "who takes over after Geno leaves" threads, at least for another 3-4 years. Then again, this is the BY so... sometimes there is no logic! :p

Reaction Score
Kim could tie Geno in 14 years and Dawn in 17.5 years. This assumes they win 35 games a year and Geno never wins another. Possible? Yeah, like unicorns are possible.
Dawn is 54 and Kim 62, so even if Geno was done it would be a very long shot for either to catch Geno. If let's say Geno wins another 100 games over the next three years that'll put it well out of reach unless they coach into their 80s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At any rate, hopefully this will stop the "who takes over after Geno leaves" threads, at least for another 3-4 years.
It won't. Heck it won't even stop people from saying things like "you know who would be a good head coach for us when Geno leaves? Caroline Ducharme."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Geno stays for 5 years, those annual escalations will nudge him over $4 million per year in the final year. Not including incentives.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Dawn is 54 and Kim 62, so even if Geno was done it would be a very long shot for either to catch Geno. If let's say Geno wins another 100 games over the next three years that'll put it well out of reach unless they coach into their 80s.
I think this record holds for a very long time unless Mulkey goes on a tear at LSU over the next 20 years.

You can remove Dawn from this conversation. In her own words, she isn’t coaching into her 70s.

Reaction Score
I think this record holds for a very long time unless Mulkey goes on a tear at LSU over the next 20 years.

You can remove Dawn from this conversation. In her own words, she isn’t coaching into her 70s.
When Geno was Dawn's age he said the same thing - that he didn't want to be one of those coaches hanging on in his late-60s. I think it's easy to say when the end is seemingly so far off.

Reaction Score

Even if Dawn wins 30 games a year for the next 20 years, she would only tie the number of wins Geno has right now. She would be 74 years old.

Of course , no other coach will have wins as a player to match hers. We’re comparing . . . Uhm . . . Oranges to tangerines ? They got here by different paths

Reaction Score
Even if Dawn wins 30 games a year for the next 20 years, she would only tie the number of wins Geno has right now. She would be 74 years old.

Of course , no other coach will have wins as a player to match hers. We’re comparing . . . Uhm . . . Oranges to tangerines ? They got here by different paths
Currently:
  • Geno (aged 70) has 1,213 wins;
  • Kim Mulkey (aged 62) has 723 wins;
  • Dawn (aged 54) has 612 wins.
Assuming Geno retires after 5 years, and the win differences remain the same after 5 years:
  • Kim needs 12.25 undefeated 40-win seasons, i.e. she coaches until she’s 80 before she catches up with Geno;
  • Dawn needs # 15 undefeated 40-win seasons, i.e. she coaches until she’s 74 before she catches up with Geno.
# Or 17 35-win seasons (till she’s 76) or 20 30-win seasons (till she’s 79) before she catches up with Geno.

Reaction Score
Currently:
Assuming Geno retires after 5 years, and the win differences remain the same after 5 years:
  • Kim needs 12.25 undefeated 40-win seasons, i.e. she coaches until she’s 80 before she catches up with Geno;
  • Dawn needs # 15 undefeated 40-win seasons, i.e. she coaches until she’s 74 before she catches up with Geno.
# Or 17 35-win seasons (till she’s 76) or 20 30-win seasons (till she’s 79) before she catches up with Geno.

This speaks volumes to how good of a coach Geno is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Currently:
I know it is just math, but I'm impressed. Thanks @NycUcWbbFan .

Reaction Score
Currently:
So that's the reason Mulkey plays all those scrubs. She must really want that record.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO, based on the available details, this contract does not represent a 5 year extension but rather in reality only a 2 year extension.
The Insider article stated that this contract extension will run through 2029.
AFAIK Geno's current contract runs until the spring of 2025 with 2 separate additional option years available on a mutial basis which means that it could have been in effect until 2027.
So if this new contract runs until 2029, that means that it's a 2 year extension & not necessaily a 5 year extension.
While this new contract appears to give Geno some additional guaranteed years at a higher salary, I don't see it as being a 5 year extension at all.
He's signed before his current guaranteed contract extpries but that's about it.
While it's a 5 year contract it only effectively extends him for 2 additional years if all goes well with his future health & desire to continue coaching.
Some of the contract details seem to still be lacking.

Reaction Score
IMO, based on the available details, this contract does not represent a 5 year extension but rather in reality only a 2 year extension.
The Insider article stated that this contract extension will run through 2029.
AFAIK Geno's current contract runs until the spring of 2025 with 2 separate additional option years available on a mutial basis which means that it could have been in effect until 2027.
So if this new contract runs until 2029, that means that it's a 2 year extension & not necessaily a 5 year extension.
While this new contract appears to give Geno some additional guaranteed years at a higher salary, I don't see it as being a 5 year extension at all.
He's signed before his current guaranteed contract extpries but that's about it.
While it's a 5 year contract it only effectively extends him for 2 additional years if all goes well with his future health & desire to continue coaching.
Some of the contract details seem to still be lacking.
Standard practice to tell recruits that he and the school intend him to be around during their time at UConn.

Reaction Score
With al least 5 more years (175+ more games), Geno would fortify a historically singularly stellar coaching career:

Games | Wins # | Win-Loss Percentage |

# It seems Tara Vanderveer got credit for 60 games related to (52 exhibition for + 8 actual games in) the 1996 Olympics.
(Some of y’all) are so obsessed with the total wins record. I bet Geno has never been concerned with that. He cares about championships. Nobody is close to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom