Gavin Keefe: Andre Jackson getting ready for first season at UConn | The Boneyard

Gavin Keefe: Andre Jackson getting ready for first season at UConn

Reaction Score
Jackson fell in love with Maravich's game after mentor and family friend Clyde Clymer convinced him to watch "The Pistol: The Birth of Legend." The biographical film focuses on Maravich's life as an eighth grade basketball player in 1959 and his relationship with his father Press.

Watching that movie opened Jackson's eyes and altered the way he plays.

"Pistol Pete was the first player that I started watching," Jackson said. "Clyde Clymer taught me how to play basketball and he introduced me to Pistol Pete. From then, I just started seeing the behind the back passes. I just fell in love with it and I started finding crazy passes, watching Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all those guys. Growing up, that's who I always watched.

"... Once I found Pistol Pete, that's when I really figured out there's just so much more to the game. The love for the game is so crazy."

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jackson put his all-around skills on display, averaging 18.8 points, 10.1 rebounds, 6.6 assists and 2.7 blocks while shooting 51 percent from the field, 45 percent from 3-point range and 80.5 percent from the foul line. He finished with over 1,100 career points

45% from 3!?

Reaction Score
Jackson fell in love with Maravich's game after mentor and family friend Clyde Clymer convinced him to watch "The Pistol: The Birth of Legend." The biographical film focuses on Maravich's life as an eighth grade basketball player in 1959 and his relationship with his father Press.

"Pistol Pete was the first player that I started watching," Jackson said. "Clyde Clymer taught me how to play basketball and he introduced me to Pistol Pete. From then, I just started seeing the behind the back passes. I just fell in love with it and I started finding crazy passes, watching Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, all those guys. Growing up, that's who I always watched.

"... Once I found Pistol Pete, that's when I really figured out there's just so much more to the game. The love for the game is so crazy."
Thanks for sharing, always making great posts. Gets me so excited for basketball to come back.... one thing that really stood out to me was the statistics from the article. 10 RPG, 45% 3 point percentage, and 80.5% FT was higher than I thought it’d be. Cannot wait to see this kid play, his potential is through the roof.

Reaction Score
"During an impressive senior season, Jackson put his all-around skills on display, averaging 18.8 points, 10.1 rebounds, 6.6 assists and 2.7 blocks while shooting 51 percent from the field, 45 percent from 3-point range and 80.5 percent from the foul line. He finished with over 1,100 career points."

That's a lot of assists, and better 3-point and free throw percentages than I thought he had.

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing, always making great posts. Gets me so excited for basketball to come back.... one thing that really stood out to me was the statistics from the article. 10 RPG, 45% 3 point percentage, and 80.5% FT was higher than I thought it’d be. Cannot wait to see this kid play, his potential is through the roof.
That 3pt % has to be a typo, right? Everything we’ve seen up to this point is that he isnt a great shooter. Makes no sense

Reaction Score
That 3pt % has to be a typo, right? Everything we’ve seen up to this point is that he isnt a great shooter. Makes no sense
Have to take those HS shooting % stats with a grain of salt. Gilbert shot something like 70% from 3 his senior year.

Edit: Was actually 54% in HS

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A little more info on his 3 point shooting this year: 2019-20 Daily Gazette All-Area boys' basketball teams

Known mostly for ferociously attacking the basket, Jackson worked hard to add a more consistent jump shot to his arsenal. This season, Jackson connected on 40 3-pointers, including a career-high six 3s as part of a 27-point effort in what ended up being his final high school game Feb. 22 against Long Island Lutheran.

Reaction Score
Yea, don’t think he’ll be around long. If next year goes the way I think it will we’ll be reestablishing our NBA representation rather quickly. Bouk, Nolley, Jackson, and Akok are all NBA players. And I believe Gaffney will be one

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
A little more info on his 3 point shooting this year: 2019-20 Daily Gazette All-Area boys' basketball teams

Known mostly for ferociously attacking the basket, Jackson worked hard to add a more consistent jump shot to his arsenal. This season, Jackson connected on 40 3-pointers, including a career-high six 3s as part of a 27-point effort in what ended up being his final high school game Feb. 22 against Long Island Lutheran.

Here’s some extended highlights of that game

Reaction Score

45% is a very high percentage and all high school stats can be inaccurate but from the YouTube footage this season, he did take and make 3s and looked confident doing it despite the very weird form.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

Awesome. That movie ‘The Pistol’ was my absolute favorite when I was a kid, that’s what made basketball the priority in my life too. I would try to emulate all the drills. Still remember laying on the couch with a basketball repeating “finger pad control, back spin, follow through.” Andre is gonna be a special talent here.

Reaction Score
Yea, don’t think he’ll be around long. If next year goes the way I think it will we’ll be reestablishing our NBA representation rather quickly. Bouk, Nolley, Jackson, and Akok are all NBA players. And I believe Gaffney will be one
Akok was 100% an NBA talent prior to the achilles tear. Tough to say that now, though, since none of us have seen the post-achilles tear Akok. Hoping he takes all of 20-21 to recover fully and 21-22 is his last year as a Husky before the NBA.

Also, this quote is insane lol:

"Next year at UConn I'm probably not going to be throwing behind the back passes," Jackson said. "Maybe if it's needed, I'll use it. If it's not, I won't. Things like that naturally happen for me, the behind the back things and those weird behind the back dunks that I have. I do them by accident."

Reaction Score

His passing and handle at 6'7 is ridiculous. Creative, puts English on the ball, moves the ball quick when he needs to, hits the roll man.

His shot is still ugly as f but trending in the right direction. He's getting enough arc on the ball now at least.

I like the big on albang academy #55. Cant remember his name but he's just a sophomore.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
His passing and handle at 6'7 is ridiculous. Creative, puts English on the ball, moves the ball quick when he needs to, hits the roll man.

His shot is still ugly as f but trending in the right direction. He's getting enough arc on the ball now at least.

I like the big on albang academy #55. Cant remember his name but he's just a sophomore.
Riley Mulvey

Reaction Score
Akok was 100% an NBA talent prior to the achilles tear. Tough to say that now, though, since none of us have seen the post-achilles tear Akok. Hoping he takes all of 20-21 to recover fully and 21-22 is his last year as a Husky before the NBA.

"Next year at UConn I'm probably not going to be throwing behind the back passes," Jackson said. "Maybe if it's needed, I'll use it. If it's not, I won't. Things like that naturally happen for me, the behind the back things and those weird behind the back dunks that I have. I do them by accident."
How do you do a behind the back dunk by accident lmfaoo

Reaction Score

I like that kid too, look at the pass to him from Jackson. It's crazy to me how underrated Jackson is...

Janet Mulvey on Twitter: "What an intense battle last night by everyone!!! @AABoysBball @LuHiBasketball @MulveyRiley continues to develop with the opportunity to compete against high level D1 commits, and was a problem for Ohio State commit, senior Zed Key, in second half of the game https://post original url/ONtRzRvXi7" / Twitter

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Have to take those HS shooting % stats with a grain of salt. Gilbert shot something like 70% from 3 his senior year.

Edit: Was actually 54% in HS

it’s also a lot shorter than the new college 3.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

One of the best high school basketball games of the year LuHi was #1 in NY, Albany was #2. Both top 50 teams nationally.

Reaction Score

When I was in middle school I was driving to the basket into traffic on a fast break and lost control of my handle. I ended up having to reach behind my body hoping to grab the ball and I guess somehow accidentally ended up throwing the ball directly to my teammate who scored on a lay up. I didn’t even know my teammate was there. Everyone thought I had some crazy no look behind the back pass and I just let them believe it.

I’m thinking Jackson’s go a little different than that.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I just read the article and I'm going to go out and shoot in my backyard (and pass to my wife who will be at least 6 feet away). I'm 57 but I've still got all my eligibilty. A guy can dream. Thank goodness I have my own hoop. The park district in my hometown removed all the basketball rims in all the parks in town.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I just read the article and I'm going to go out and shoot in my backyard (and pass to my wife who will be at least 6 feet away). I'm 57 but I've still got all my eligibilty. A guy can dream. Thank goodness I have my own hoop. The park district in my hometown removed all the basketball rims in all the parks in town.

Tweet giannis, maybe he’ll come play with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom