2023 Recruiting: - Gavin Griffiths at todays game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Gavin Griffiths at todays game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't remember an AAC game at the XL that had a bigger crowd than last nights. The sold seats with fannies in them went literally up to the rafters. But folks have their agendas, I guess.

Reaction Score
Jogs my memory of the old Raybestos Brakettes.
I'm delighted that you guys caught all my little humorous allusions to bricks, Brakettes and BBQ. And there was no snark intended, I totally knew what was meant and how it went astray.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'm delighted that you guys caught all my little humorous allusions to bricks, Brakettes and BBQ. And there was no snark intended, I totally knew what was meant and how it went astray.
Joan Joyce and the Raybestos Brakettes my Dad took me to see her play. He pitched softball for the A and P in Norwalk and made $5 a game - big money when you made $26 a week working for the Hat Corporation of America!! Thanks for the reminder

Reaction Score
GG is a Simsbury kid prepping at KO.. XL is much more convenient to catch a game at (for him) than Gampel. Was probably an attractive game to go to based on his HS schedule.

Wouldn't read too much into the size of the crowd,etc.. for Butler game. He is a long-time UConn fan who has seen plenty of packed houses at XL and Gampel for games over the years. He knows about UConn's fan base .

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Well, I know I’m a lot of things. Idiot, however, isn’t one of them. And I really dislike casual name calling on the ‘yard. Despite the ridiculousness of this board, I’d like to think that mutual respect still has potential here, based on our shared passion point.

I’m not arguing over “crowd presence”. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of bodies in the building. But I maintain that it was like a morgue. Absolutely dead, unenthusiastic crowd.
Don't sell yourself short...
(Couldn't resist)

Reaction Score
If you think the Providence game was that loud you might need to get to more games. FL 2019 and Houston 2020 games were 1000% louder than the Providence game.

And for those who compare Gampel to XL I hope you realize it's really comparing apples to oranges. 99% of the best games since 2012 have been at XL. Hard to compare UConn vs. St Johns during the middle of the week to say Providence on a Saturday afternoon.

I expect the Xavier game at Gampel this year to be the best overall crowd. Even better than the Nova game.

The loudest the HCC( XL) ever was was during the 1990 Dream Season during the Syracuse/Georgetown back to back wins. Literally felt like the building was shaking. if you were there you know. If you weren't I wish you were.

Also it was very loud during the 1st half of the January 1997 game against No. 1 Kansas. Great atmosphere.

My hope is we get a few more of these at both venues.

Reaction Score
The loudest the HCC( XL) ever was was during the 1990 Dream Season during the Syracuse/Georgetown back to back wins. Literally felt like the building was shaking. if you were there you know. If you weren't I wish you were.

Also it was very loud during the 1st half of the January 1997 game against No. 1 Kansas. Great atmosphere.

Remember them well - I forget which one was during a snowstorm, but I remember driving from campus in my buddy's car which wasn't the greatest to begin with, lol

Reaction Score

Was at both.....nothing compares to those two games. For many reasons!! But yeah, the crowds were nuts......

Reaction Score
The Syracuse and Georgetown games in 1990 were incredible. I suggest to the youngsters here to go to UConngames.com and watch these games to see what Huskymania was like then. The whole state was into it.
Sorry. UConnhuskygames.com

Reaction Score
Kids are not staying home because of Covid.
HOW CORONAVIRUS PLAYED AN ASSIST

Pikiell and assistant Brandin Knight worked hard to keep Omoruyi at home and they may have gotten an assist from the coronavirus pandemic.

Omoruyi, who was born in Nigeria, said the coronavirus helped him make the decision to stay close to home to Roselle Catholic, where has played for three years, as opposed to going halfway or all the way across the country.

“The coronavirus helped me with my decision because it made me realize I don’t want to go too far away and be away from the people that care about me,” he said.

Reaction Score

I get it. I was not around for the 89-90 season. Those games from all accounts were the loudest in program history. However it only proves my point more. Those games for the most part never get to be at Gampel. If #2 Georgetown on a Saturday night and a Big Monday Syracuse game were at Gampel they would probably be just as loud if not louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom