Gampel vs. XL Center | The Boneyard

Gampel vs. XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always thought (with some confirmation), that the players prefer playing at Gampel...

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant
Shabazz Napier - "if I picked the schedule, all our games would be at gampel. crowd is right on you, can B devastating 4 opponent"

Dom Amore@AmoreCourant
Ryan Boatright, "we haven't really had a big Gampel game all year, we're all excited about it being at gampel" #uconnmen

I'd be interested to see UConn's records at the XL versus at Gampel, or better yet how they face historically against the spread at the two different venues.

Anyway, real pumped for a big game on campus. GET LOUD PEOPLE

Reaction Score
I believe the media guide has the all time records for both buildings.. but it's hard to compare because it's not even scheduling. Though I don't think anyone will claim XL center is better than Gampel, even with the extra seats.

Reaction Score
XL is such an outdated and terrible place. It is cavernous and unless its a big game has no energy

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

Reaction Score
I agree with the players. Even tough for me, it is much more difficult to get to Storrs, than XL. I prefer, that when school is in session, all games should be played on campus. It is better enviroment
for the players and fans. Now, I know we have had this debate before, and some argue that the students are too lazy to show up for XL, unless its a big game, and that XL is just as good as
Gampel. But, the players, as well as, Calhoun have voiced this opinion(Gampel better). I think the students show up in full force at Gampel, which makes it a much better place.

Reaction Score
I hate to bring up Duke in a positive way, but if a 9,000 seat arena is good enough for them.. shouldn't a 10,000 seat arena be good enough for us?

Reaction Score
I hate to bring up Duke in a positive way, but if a 9,000 seat arena is good enough for them.. shouldn't a 10,000 seat arena be good enough for us?

They may be a bunch of huggers and floppers, and have the officials in their pockets, but they easily have the best home-court advantage in all of college basketball. They are rightfully considered a model for how to organize an arena with a raucous student section right on top of the opposing players.

But we're more interested in fat-cat donor checks than in providing an in-game experience befitting a top-10 national program.

Reaction Score
They may be a bunch of huggers and floppers, and have the officials in their pockets, but they easily have the best home-court advantage in all of college basketball. They are rightfully considered a model for how to organize an arena with a raucous student section right on top of the opposing players.

But we're more interested in fat-cat donor checks than in providing an in-game experience befitting a top-10 national program.

Nothing brings in $$$ like winning, and a good home court advantage goes a long way towards helping that.

Reaction Score
The carrier Dome is the best venue in CBB. Or is that what ESPN just wants me to think.

Reaction Score
How many of these threads on average do we have every season? And the threads never go anywhere good.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised!

Oh good grief. No one thinks the Civic Center is a better venue for college hoops than Gampel. That is not the same as people who understand why it is a political and financial necessity.

Reaction Score

Well statistically they don't.

http://predictionmachine.com/college-basketball-homecourt-advantage

Reaction Score
Oh good grief. No one thinks the Civic Center is a better venue for college hoops than Gampel. That is not the same as people who understand why it is a political and financial necessity.

Just last week there was a thread here where a few people were saying that XL is a better atmosphere. So while there might be literally less than 10 people who think XL is a better venue for college hoops, they do exist.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
XL is such an outdated and terrible place. It is cavernous and unless its a big game has no energy

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

The "concourse" at halftime are a joke. Worse than the old Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
The "concourse" at halftime are a joke. Worse than the old Yankee Stadium.
You can....
A. Stand in 20 minute bathroom line
B. Stand in 20 minute food line
C. Stand in 20 minute beer line.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
XL is an ugly old hockey arena. It has all the atmosphere of a parking garage.

UConn can make more money there than they can at Gampel, and having the games there brings some much needed business to downtown Hartford.

We have a great program and great fans, but to be honest, we do not have great facilities for our basketball teams. Most BCS programs have a better setup than we do as far as arenas go.

The ideal solution is build a state of the art facility in downtown Hartford to replace the XL. Being the ideal solution only means that it will never happen.

Reaction Score
Heard some chatter about a new arena on NPR the other day but afaik there's been chatter for 15 years.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

KU at the Phog may have an even better home court advantage. That's what I want UConn to strive for. That environment is redonkulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom