Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus

Reaction Score
UConn gets 0% of money for concessions at the XL and pays rent.

UConn gets 100% of money from concessions at Gampel and doesn’t pay rent.

This. Isn’t. Difficult. Math.
Not quite 100 % on concessions as local groups run some of them for fund raising.

Reaction Score
L

Bruh. Next time just shoot me in the back of the head.
Does the team have an advantage in Gampel over XL? There has to be a way to prove, disprove that hypothesis with data. I don't think records, or even record against ranked opponents works. I think a good guide would be record in games against Quad 1 foes.

Then, if we see that Gampel is significantly a better homecourt the frustration with hartford is valid.

My only other point, they've been going to Hartford for 43 years, this is always talked about when UConn loses a game and the crowd sucks. UConn is different from every other team and program in the country.

No one else has two homes. Why? No one else is UConn. Why can't UConn be different?

Playing in hartford allows this program to run a $40M deficit and allowed it to upgrade its football.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UConn gets 0% of money for concessions at the XL and pays rent.

UConn gets 100% of money from concessions at Gampel and doesn’t pay rent.

This. Isn’t. Difficult. Math.

How much do you think they'd lose in donations?

Much more significant than concessions. Especially concessions at GP

Does anyone even buy concessions at GP?

Reaction Score
Crazy that UNC fans can do the drive from Raleigh to Chapel Hill, yet some UConn “fans” here can’t do the same from Hartford to Storrs. Those people should be embarrassed.
Yeah, but the Carolina fans don’t have to go through customs to cross the Connecticut River, then again in Bolton. And you need to remember your passport…real hassle.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does the team have an advantage in Gampel over XL? There has to be a way to prove, disprove that hypothesis with data. I don't think records, or even record against ranked opponents works. I think a good guide would be record in games against Quad 1 foes.

Then, if we see that Gampel is significantly a better homecourt the frustration with hartford is valid.

My only other point, they've been going to Hartford for 43 years, this is always talked about when UConn loses a game and the crowd sucks. UConn is different from every other team and program in the country.

No one else has two homes. Why? No one else is UConn. Why can't UConn be different?

Playing in hartford allows this program to run a $40M deficit and allowed it to upgrade its football.
I’m sure when UConn lost at Gampel to Yale, Wagner, St Joseph’s, and Northeastern no one was campaigning to play all games at XL.

XL may bring in more of a professional crowd that’s performance-dependent, but the theory that our teams are miles better at Gampel has just been quantified by 0.30. After looking thru all the data, it was very easy to see that our best teams win anywhere (road, XL, and Gampel) while our less than stellar teams lose anywhere too.

Reaction Score
How much do you think they'd lose in donations?

Much more significant than concessions. Especially concessions at GP

Does anyone even buy concessions at GP?
I'm guessing they wouldn't lose much in seat donations. The games still have to be played, which means seat donations would just be collected for Gampel instead of XL. Sure, there might be fewer seats available, but that also means UConn can ask for a higher price.

They sell beer at Gampel now. I'm pretty sure they sell a lot of concessions.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing they wouldn't lose much in seat donations. The games still have to be played, which means seat donations would just be collected for Gampel instead of XL. Sure, there might be fewer seats available, but that also means UConn can ask for a higher price.

They sell beer at Gampel now. I'm pretty sure they sell a lot of concessions.
Is there a separate seat donation for XL and Gampel If you have tix at both?

Reaction Score
I assume so. I only have season tickets for XL, so I can't tell you for sure (though countless others on here surely can). I would imagine that in a Gampel-only home schedule, the seat donation for your Gampel season tickets would be roughly equal to the current Gampel seat donation + current XL seat donation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No evidence, just a guess? The facts are that Gampel season tickets don't sell out now and you are guessing that more would be sold if the number of games you were required to buy and the seat donation both doubled. Does that make sense? Like I said before, they are already shaking the giving tree pretty hard right now but folks like you just expect others just to plunk down another $1K per seat? I think that's a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
No evidence, just a guess? The facts are that Gampel season tickets don't sell out now and you are guessing that more would be sold if the number of games you were required to buy and the seat donation both doubled. Does that make sense? Like I said before, they are already shaking the giving tree pretty hard right now but folks like you just expect others just to plunk down another $1K per seat? I think that's a pipe dream.
I have no evidence, that is correct. I don't claim to be doing anything other than baselessly speculating. I gave you a hard time about evidence earlier because, when you were asked to provide some, you made up numbers off the top of your head and called it evidence.

As far as moving all home games to Gampel, I agree that it seems very unlikely at this point. However, my gut feeling is that the university wouldn't lose as much money as you seem to be suggesting if they did so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you have tickets both for gample and for the XL Center aren’t you already paying the extra license fee?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind of, since paying to play in Hartford and East Hartford is contributing to the $40 million deficit.
UConn can definitely be different, but they should only choose to be different when it benefits them. I’m not sure that playing in Hartford really does.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I think the issues are deeper than just gampel vs xl. Its on campus vs off campus, a dying city vs a thriving campus, avg age of attendee. Gampel is better because it was built for basketball, xl (civic center) for hockey. At the end of the day we need to get students into the xl center. Transportation needs to be provided for students

Reaction Score

My issue is not with wins and losses, it’s that continuing to play a large number of sports far off campus is indicative of a school and state government that still doesn’t truly grasp how college athletics works - that lack of understanding contributed to UConn getting left behind in conference realignment, despite our winning history, and yet we don’t learn

Reaction Score
Remember, it’s not just basketball; it’s hockey and football too. I’m sure some of y’all wish we played baseball and soccer in Hartford as well. It’s just so wrong.

It’s a fundamentally perverse view of college sports. If you want a “Connecticut pro-team” (barf) go be a WolfPack or Yard Goats fan. UConn is not your substitute for the Whalers

Reaction Score
New to this thread so maybe someone else voiced this but only big guaranteed sellouts should be played at the XL. I used to be a ticket holder there but came to hate the upper bowl and will now pay a premium for better seats to a few select games. Also wish they'd go back to playing a game or 2 in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
New to this thread so maybe someone else voiced this but only big guaranteed sellouts should be played at the XL. I used to be a ticket holder there but came to hate the upper bowl and will now pay a premium for better seats to a few select games. Also wish they'd go back to playing a game or 2 in Bridgeport.
Drove down to Bridgeport once - what a disaster. Missed the 1st 10 minutes of the game trying to park the car.

Reaction Score
My issue is not with wins and losses, it’s that continuing to play a large number of sports far off campus is indicative of a school and state government that still doesn’t truly grasp how college athletics works - that lack of understanding contributed to UConn getting left behind in conference realignment, despite our winning history, and yet we don’t learn
Bingo

Reaction Score
Drove down to Bridgeport once - what a disaster. Missed the 1st 10 minutes of the game trying to park the car.
Yeah if you try to get near the arena it could be a diaster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom