Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus

Reaction Score
Yeah kind of seems like he’s arguments weren’t really in good faith.

:rolleyes:

Lol I don’t mind @Waquoit

This has just been a years long awful take and/or troll job on his part.

His commitment to the bit is impressive, though

Reaction Score
You must have looked on basketball reference, they don't have a single game being played in Hartford for 8 seasons in a row. They list all the home games as being played in Storrs. It's usually a great resource for basketball stats but they get that one totally wrong.
The data provider must not have home arena info pre-2011. That's when KenPom starts listing it as well, before it's blank.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Doesn’t help that the school scares the crap out of the students about the virus even though they largely aren’t at risk of severe covid. The 50% student cap, the vax requirement, all that stuff is having a really negative effect on attendance and needs to go out the window. Covid zeroism is stupid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The people who love the XL center are the same people who are happy we have the Rent in East Hartford. It sucks. - someone who graduated last year.
I am grateful to have Rentschler field, it’s a great place to see a game, but it be even better if it were on campus.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Does that mean we can trade? I would gladly give up convenience in getting to games if instead I can have sex with students.

You didnt marry an alum?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah kind of seems like he’s arguments weren’t really in good faith.

:rolleyes:
All my arguments are made in good faith. Bad faith would be something like comparing UConn to a football factory. Or projection like committing to the bit. I don't know for sure but when you read elsewhere UConn doesn't make money in Hartford, I'm thinking they aren't including seat donations. You and Guapo are saying it does, do I have that right?

Reaction Score
All my arguments are made in good faith. Bad faith would be something like comparing UConn to a football factory. Or projection like committing to the bit. I don't know for sure but when you read elsewhere UConn doesn't make money in Hartford, I'm thinking they aren't including seat donations. You and Guapo are saying it does, do I have that right?
Lol I was making fun of your bad faith argument style

CL82

Reaction Score
But you don’t know that they’re not including that seat license money, do you? You don’t know that with more games that Gampel whether the seat license fees would go up, do you? Yet, you keep hammering that as if you knew that seat license revenue made up the difference in renting a venue versus playing in the schools on stadium.

Sure seems like bad faith to me.

Reaction Score
so what I’m getting from all this is that attendance remains an issue both at XL and Gampel. But, but, but most posters here insisted that a “return“ to the New Big East would generate so much excitement that we would have to beat people away from the doors of either venue with baseball bats. Turns out people apparently aren’t all that interested in most of the NOOB. They like a few original Big East teams well enough, but Chief’s vaunted “ casual fan” has no more interest in watching UConn play the Creightons and the Butlers of the world as they do watching them play Tulsa and Tulane.

Reaction Score
Playing in Hartford sucks and is antithetical to what college sports is.

The record difference is largely inconsequential but lends further credence to the overall obvious view of it sucking
Agreed. Games should be on campus. Top college teams make home court advantage part of the culture.

Hartford is not what it was 20 years ago. Limited dining in walking distance, expensive parking , no amenities at XL. Identity of the team and University should be in Storrs

Reaction Score
I think college sports should be played on campus and as far as arenas go I much prefer Gampel to XL. I don't think we will stop playing at XL any time soon, so we may as well make the most of it. More strategic scheduling for XL games would be useful. Mid-week 6:30 games are tough, especially with so many people still working from home. Limiting XL games to winter break and massive guaranteed sell outs is a good start

Reaction Score
so what I’m getting from all this is that attendance remains an issue both at XL and Gampel. But, but, but most posters here insisted that a “return“ to the New Big East would generate so much excitement that we would have to beat people away from the doors of either venue with baseball bats. Turns out people apparently aren’t all that interested in most of the NOOB. They like a few original Big East teams well enough, but Chief’s vaunted “ casual fan” has no more interest in watching UConn play the Creightons and the Butlers of the world as they do watching them play Tulsa and Tulane.
tenor.gif

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We should do a student only game to make up for having students drive themselves to XL

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But you don’t know that they’re not including that seat license money, do you? You don’t know that with more games that Gampel whether the seat license fees would go up, do you? Yet, you keep hammering that as if you knew that seat license revenue made up the difference in renting a venue versus playing in the schools on stadium.

Sure seems like bad faith to me.
You are assuming things that may or not happen. Bad faith is saying that playing games in Gampel is free. At the same time you are telling me that UConn isn't making money on the next two XL games, seat donations not withstanding.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wonder why the author focused on records for the years we suck?

Any ideas?

Which begs the question, does anyone know anything about our winning tradition? It appears fewer and fewer people don't

PS: Playing Villanova at the XL Center has nothing to do with that, "the author covered that"

Okie dokie

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
You are assuming things that may or not happen. Bad faith is saying that playing games in Gampel is free. At the same time you are telling me that UConn isn't making money on the next two XL games, seat donations not withstanding.
Did I say that playing in Gampel “was free?” You’re suggesting that I did seems to be bad faith.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
just makes you wonder why more state schools whose main team isn't located central to a population base don't make the college team play in a city center more often.

Also makes you wonder why more state governments don't force the universities to play in state funded arenas.

UConn is most unlucky school out there with playing facilities off campus for the two largest sports in college.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Why are we better at DePaul than at Villanova? Must be the Wells Fargo Center

Here's a thought, let's move the Wintrust Center to Connecticut, we'd never losr

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Since the Daily Campus is straight up trash at journalism and can’t collect data going back more than 5 years because it’s too much work, I decided to do all the work. Me, myself, and 4 glasses of scotch.

Lifetime records at each of our home courts:
XL/HCC: 235-56 (.807)
Gampel: 196-38 (.837)

So go ahead, fight over that 0.30. The school sells 1.4x more tickets to XL so that’s profit for them. Try and argue that to the school.

And you guessed it - our best teams and teams that go deep win ANYWHERE. Usually our bad teams (mentally weak, I like to put it) have a very slight edge at Gampel.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
You need to prioritize. The correct answer is they should play where the pizza is better.

Reaction Score
Official records for each venue are available in the media guide. Based on the numbers there (so take with grains of salt), when you compare both XL and Gampel since 1989-90, here's what you get (not including this season):

Overall
XL Center - 235-54 (.813)
Gampel - 202-40 (.835)

vs. Ranked opponents
XL Center - 26-20 (.562)
Gampel - 25-14 (.641)

Big East Years (1989-2013)
XL Center - 192-36 (.842)
Gampel - 149-23 (.866)

AAC Years (2013-2020)
XL Center - 43-18 (.705)
Gampel - 46-14 (.767)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
L
Official records for each venue are available in the media guide. Based on the numbers there (so take with grains of salt), when you compare both XL and Gampel since 1989-90, here's what you get (not including this season):

Overall
XL Center - 235-54 (.813)
Gampel - 202-40 (.835)

vs. Ranked opponents
XL Center - 26-20 (.562)
Gampel - 25-14 (.641)

Big East Years (1989-2013)
XL Center - 192-36 (.842)
Gampel - 149-23 (.866)

AAC Years (2013-2020)
XL Center - 43-18 (.705)
Gampel - 46-14 (.767)
Bruh. Next time just shoot me in the back of the head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom