Gampel getting a new roof | The Boneyard

Gampel getting a new roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are roughly 190-200 days until First night. I've never bothered counting how many tiles there are, but would be interested to know. I wonder what the expected rate of tile replacement per day/week is.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
We are talking about the interior ceiling, right? Not a roof? Two different things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are talking about the interior ceiling, right? Not a roof? Two different things.
IIRC, there is some exterior work as well, including improving access, but yeah, for all intents and purposes, it will look the same.

There is a plan to add a concourse to Gampel, which would change the look, but I don't think that that is a part of this project.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IIRC, there is some exterior work as well, including improving access, but yeah for all intents and purposes if will look the same.

Thank you for using the phrase correctly. "For all intensive purposes" and other idiotic mis-phrasings "getting untracked" are a huge pet peeve.

On the subject at hand, this is good news and it was a long time coming. The ceiling was getting to be kind of an embarrassment, especially on national broadcasts.

Reaction Score
IIRC, there is some exterior work as well, including improving access, but yeah for all intents and purposes if will look the same.

There is a plan to add a concourse to Gampel, which would change the look, but I don't think that that is a part of this project.

The latest campus master plan shows an addition to Gampel along the north side of the facility between it and the Fieldhouse, which I assume is the concourse and other facilities noted. Of course, today, that space is the location of Wolff-Zackin, so a new pool (unless UConn drops swimming) will have to be addressed first.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
$28m to build new in 1990 and $10m to re-do the roof. And it's only going to last 15 years? Seem like a bunch of money. I would hope that in 15 years they are replacing Gampel wholesale or looking for a new technology. $660k-ish per year depreciation seems steep for a basketball court.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I'm all for the repair job and the school has little control over the cost right now. I just hope that in 2031 another $10m isn't being used to do this again.

I didn't see anything in the article but I would hope the fabric they are using now is significantly more durable than the original fabric.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thank you for using the phrase correctly. "For all intensive purposes" and other idiotic mis-phrasings "getting untracked" are a huge pet peeve.

On the subject at hand, this is good news and it was a long time coming. The ceiling was getting to be kind of an embarrassment, especially on national broadcasts.
You're welcome... and thank you for not pointing out the typo that followed that quote. :confused:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I'm all for the repair job and the school has little control over the cost right now. I just hope that in 2031 another $10m isn't being used to do this again.

Don't worry; with inflation, it'll cost a lot more than $10 million to repair the ceiling in 2031!

Reaction Score

My purposes are intensive. Yours are superficial.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't worry; with inflation, it'll cost a lot more than $10 million to repair the ceiling in 2031!

I was going to specify adjusted for inflation but I had a stronger urge to leave it out so someone else could bring it up.

CL82

Reaction Score
The latest campus master plan shows an addition to Gampel along the north side of the facility between it and the Fieldhouse, which I assume is the concourse and other facilities noted. Of course, today, that space is the location of Wolff-Zackin, so a new pool (unless UConn drops swimming) will have to be addressed first.
Yep, although there will also be space between Gampel and the Field House for an open courtyard. It looks as if that will become the "main" entrance to Gampel.

Here's a link to the Master Plan, which I believe that I originally got from one of your posts. :) It is worth a look for those who haven't seen it. I particularly like the streetscape focus. They are really working to give Storrs a better defined, more united feel, which is long overdue. Of course, having a good plan, and having the discipline to follow it are two different things.

Reaction Score
$28m to build new in 1990 and $10m to re-do the roof. And it's only going to last 15 years? Seem like a bunch of money. I would hope that in 15 years they are replacing Gampel wholesale or looking for a new technology. $660k-ish per year depreciation seems steep for a basketball court.

$10m today is $5.3m in 1990 dollars, so it doesn't seem THAT bad considering other than a new video board I feel like Gampel has pretty much been left unchanged ...

But 15 years from now I would hope it's a new arena with all that P5 money :)

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Once we get into a P5, let's just build a 50,000 seat multipurpose stadium in the middle of that new N. Hillside Road extension.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Put Mark Emmert in charge of the construction process and I can guarantee it will cost a lot more than 10 million right NOW! They'll be using $463 hammers that he gets a $400 kickback on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I didn't see anything in the article but I would hope the fabric they are using now is significantly more durable than the original fabric.
I agree. And I also hope that they earmark some $$ for the concrete bench seats. My parents are in their late 70's and finally gave up their season tickets because they can't sit in those sets. I guess if they were willing to donate $10K, they could get better seats, but point is, they need to do away with the concrete benches. Those are dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom