Gamecocks 2022 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She has a unique combo of size/wingspan and athleticism that should give her a leg up on the competition. Fans are waiting for that to translate into basketball skills. If she puts it all together, she would be almost unstoppable on offense and a complete terror on defense. A lot of us fans, myself included, think that she will finally turn that corner this season. I swear though, if she continues being a turnover machine, I will lose all my hair! Speaking of using her size, I nearly lost my mind on how often she would not protect the ball while searching for the basket. She would hold the ball around her knees staring up at the basket and some 5'7" PG would swipe the ball out of her hands. That drove me BONKERS last season! Hold the ball higher!
EXACTLY. I would Imagine it drives Dawn and Fred Chmiel nuts too. This is what I think she missed out on with her injuries in high school. It’s the quick thinking/decision making that is not on par with the others. She has all the skill but she hasnt figured out how to use it yet. She missed 2 entire years of high school ball because of injured knees. That’s a lot of experience she missed out on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well she just made the Canadian Olympic team-Improvement , right ?
Correction - she's being considered for the Olympic team. I don't think the Olympic team roster will be finalized until sometime in July.

Think she's made their Americup squad but nothing has been officially announced by Canada Basketball. Believe there may be one more cut down before they post the final roster.

Reaction Score
Kyla Oldacre 6ft6 Traditional Post 2022 Target

With Cardoso transferring in and the Staff coveting Del Rosario in 2023-Oldacre may not get the opportunity to be offered by SCar. WBB. I saw her as a developmental talent with huge upside. I dont see them taking more more than 2 in this upcoming class unles "3" is somebody like Janiah Barker.

In the attached video-Oldacare is going up against Bree Hall and Wayne in this years Ohio HS Basketball Girls playoffs.

Reaction Score
Kyla Oldacre 6ft6 Traditional Post 2022 Target

With Cardoso transferring in and the Staff coveting Del Rosario in 2023-Oldacre may not get the opportunity to be offered by SCar. WBB. I saw her as a developmental talent with huge upside. I dont see them taking more more than 2 in this upcoming class unles "3" is somebody like Janiah Barker.

In the attached video-Oldacare is going up against Bree Hall and Wayne in this years Ohio HS Basketball Girls playoffs.
I do not disagree with you, but if we are considered to have two "in the bag", why aren't they in the bag?" (yes, I know YOU haven't called them that) No birdies have been sighted, much less heard chirping. Remember, kids weren't much interested in following the 2019 class the next year. Are they willing to follow the 2021 class?

Oldacre is a classic, big strong post. She will be a valuable contribution to somebody even if she doesn't have greatness written all over her at this point.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree with you, but if we are considered to have two "in the bag", why aren't they in the bag?" (yes, I know YOU haven't called them that) No birdies have been sighted, much less heard chirping. Remember, kids weren't much interested in following the 2019 class the next year. Are they willing to follow the 2021 class?

Oldacre is a classic, big strong post. She will be a valuable contribution to somebody even if she doesn't have greatness written all over her at this point.
Agreed - not that ESPN rankings tell all, but she’s the 26th-ranked player in her class. That may not be high enough for the elite ranks of WBB programs, but outside of those potential 4-5 teams, she will be a great player for someone.

Reaction Score
Agreed - not that ESPN rankings tell all, but she’s the 26th-ranked player in her class. That may not be high enough for the elite ranks of WBB programs, but outside of those potential 4-5 teams, she will be a great player for someone.
Yes she reminds me of Unique Thompson. A little more conditioning and she can really make an impact at the D1 level her first year.

Reaction Score

I think that because official visits have resumed that the uncommitted girls are going to take advantage even if they know where they are going to commit. Why not enjoy the visits? I would think that would be one of the most exciting parts of recruiting!

Reaction Score
Im only here to cause debate. I read on Volnation some delusional fan saying Kelly (coach) will have Tennessee outdoing SC in a few years. What say you?

Reaction Score
Im only here to cause debate. I read on Volnation some delusional fan saying Kelly (coach) will have Tennessee outdoing SC in a few years. What say you?
Tennessee is a far cry from SC and everyone inside and out of the SEC knows it.

That said, Harper has done a fine job in her first two seasons. I thought they underperformed a tad this year in getting bounced before the Sweet 16, but otherwise matched or exceeded expectations in the SEC. KJH has certainly fielded a more cohesive unit than her predecessor.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is a far cry from SC and everyone inside and out of the SEC knows it.

That said, Harper has done a fine job in her first two seasons. I thought they underperformed a tad this year in getting bounced before the Sweet 16, but otherwise matched or exceeded expectations in the SEC. KJH has certainly fielded a more cohesive unit than her predecessor.
Does everyone included Tennessee? They did beat SC this past season.

Reaction Score
About what? That fans on Volnation (you did say only one) are saying this, or about the possibility of it happening?

CT fans often say some delusional things here too, so it's a dedicated fansite for them. It's supposed to be a place for that kind of thinking, for their fanbase. I have no issues with that.....

As to the possibility - who knows? USC has tremendous depth of talent right now, and NO SEC team is a "far cry" from USC....at least not for long. After the A'ja Wilson "era" that saw a final four and a national title, the team fell off in talent and had a brief dead spot in competitiveness. It only lasted essentially one season, and even that was a sweet sixteen season, but it can happen again. Nothing is permanent.

It will depend on Coach Harper continuing to upgrade the recruiting. The team was led last season by Rennia Davis, Rae Burrell, Tamari Key, Kasiyahna Kushkituah, and Jordan Horston. All players recruited into the program by the previous staff. Pissott is Harper's first 5* commitment, but she's in the future - if she and her staff can take what they have and put a team on the floor every game that is disciplined, engaged all game and executes, then the elite talent will return to Knoxville. The Tennessee brand is still a marquee brand in WCBB despite what the CT fanbase wishes it to be. But Harper is still in the process of answering most of those questions, and right now for the next 2-3 years the talent level looks to be dropping substantially within the program, instead of improving......

USC and UT went 1-1 last season. The Lady Vols can have all the regular-season games, and the Gamecocks can claim all the SEC Tournament and post-season games. Deal?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
About what? That fans on Volnation (you did say only one) are saying this, or about the possibility of it happening?

CT fans often say some delusional things here too, so it's a dedicated fansite for them. It's supposed to be a place for that kind of thinking, for their fanbase. I have no issues with that.....

As to the possibility - who knows? USC has tremendous depth of talent right now, and NO SEC team is a "far cry" from USC....at least not for long. After the A'ja Wilson "era" that saw a final four and a national title, the team fell off in talent and had a brief dead spot in competitiveness. It only lasted essentially one season, and even that was a sweet sixteen season, but it can happen again. Nothing is permanent.

It will depend on Coach Harper continuing to upgrade the recruiting. The team was led last season by Rennia Davis, Rae Burrell, Tamari Key, Kasiyahna Kushkituah, and Jordan Horston. All players recruited into the program by the previous staff. Pissott is Harper's first 5* commitment, but she's in the future - if she and her staff can take what they have and put a team on the floor every game that is disciplined, engaged all game and executes, then the elite talent will return to Knoxville. The Tennessee brand is still a marquee brand in WCBB despite what the CT fanbase wishes it to be. But Harper is still in the process of answering most of those questions, and right now for the next 2-3 years the talent level looks to be dropping substantially within the program, instead of improving......

USC and UT went 1-1 last season. The Lady Vols can have all the regular-season games, and the Gamecocks can claim all the SEC Tournament and post-season games. Deal?
I’m more along this line of thinking.
The SEC is just a competitive league… no matter who’s reigning over the league there will always be better than average-good-great challengers. The Miss State/SC years were some of the most exciting years in the league and even then both programs still face consistent challenges from others in the league…
Tennessee is still a marquee program, so no matter how close to the basement they may have fallen, it’s still easier for them to climb back up to the top of the league than it would be for an upstart. I will never discount the LVs, but they shouldn’t discount SC either. Dawn is rolling and Harper has a ways to go before she can slow her down.

Reaction Score
I think it'll turn into a fun season watching teams grow and wonder who is going to rise to the top in SEC play. There are potential stars in the making at places like LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss St., Arkansas, and Tennessee. With exception of USC and Georgia the SEC will be the wild west!

Reaction Score
It’s competitive but what if we go 16-0 again in conference play(which is a good possibility)? That would be a 46-2 record over three seasons and since the SEC besides SC completely bowed out in the NCAAT it’s time for the conference to step it up. Kim Mulkey coming in should help but the conference as a whole has to be better. The BigTen and PAC 12 schooled us in the tournament.

Reaction Score
It’s competitive but what if we go 16-0 again in conference play(which is a good possibility)? That would be a 46-2 record over three seasons and since the SEC besides SC completely bowed out in the NCAAT it’s time for the conference to step it up. Kim Mulkey coming in should help but the conference as a whole has to be better. The BigTen and PAC 12 schooled us in the tournament.
Georgia, to me, feels slept on in the SEC this year. Those seniors didn’t come back to not win a title. I definitely still consider SC the heavy favorite but think Georgia looks like a near-clear #2 in the conference but has had little hype (recognizing we’re months before even pre-season, of course).

Reaction Score

The two in the bag is a misunderstanding started by the TN fanbase from what I know. I respect your right to disagree with my opinion...lol

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on the women's three point line moving back to the same distance as the men ?

Reaction Score
Conference has to get better as a whole outside of SC. I said this for the last few years but there were too many average coaches in the SEC that seemed to underwhelm. With Fargas, White, and Flo gone, there is an opportunity to improve some of the bottom tier teams. I don't think Coach Blair will be at A&M much longer personally.

It will be interesting to see how Shae and Harris rebuild Auburn and Vandy. I think Kim will do great things at LSU but its gonna take a few years to get the roster she is wanting although her success in the portal can speed that process up. SC is on another level with talent and depth compared to the rest of the pack.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on the women's three point line moving back to the same distance as the men ?
The players that should be shooting threes for us were already shooting from that line anyway..

In fact, whenever I watched WBB.. no matter the team, most players were already shooting from behind the men’s line.

Reaction Score
The players that should be shooting threes for us were already shooting from that line anyway..

In fact, whenever I watched WBB.. no matter the team, most players were already shooting from behind the men’s line.
When I watched games this season, it seemed to regularly be of note to the analysts how often players would shoot from behind the men’s line, and that it was perhaps confusing within the flow and speed of the game on-court for players to differentiate/check.

Reaction Score

The Vols loss cost a share of the SEC title though not for Tennessee’s benefit.

still, something for them to sell along with tradition and how hard they pushed UConn.

I’m not sure the Vols will be quite as big this year, but any team that can defend and score the post is formidable.

Reaction Score
Georgia, to me, feels slept on in the SEC this year. Those seniors didn’t come back to not win a title. I definitely still consider SC the heavy favorite but think Georgia looks like a near-clear #2 in the conference but has had little hype (recognizing we’re months before even pre-season, of course).

on paper I agree with you.

uGA’s chance at SEC title likely rests on the overall competitiveness of league.

If they can get Carolina into a winner take all anything can happen.

At moment seems like keeping pace with USC record might be harder than winning head to head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom