Reaction Score
State of South Carolina recruiting prospects:

HG #8 Talaysia Cooper 6-0 Guard
HG #13 Ashlyn Watkins 6-3 PF

HG #3 Malaysia Fulwiley 5-6 PG
ASGR #17 Mary Ashley Groot 6-3 F
??? Riley Stack 6-4 F

HG Top25 Joyce Edwards 6-2 W/F

All of the above are reported to have offers from Dawn except Mary Ashley Groot who plays with Ashlyn Watkins on Asia Dozier's Cardinal Newman team. She is a Gamecock born and bred. Her grandmother (former chief judge of the US 4th District Court of Appeals) is an alumnus and the Law School Courtroom is named after her. Her mom is a NYC attorney and also an alum. Mary Ashley is rumored to have an open walkon offer because she doesn't need an athletic scholly. Rumor only and can never be confirmed. She does reportedly have a scholly offer from Miami.

All three 2023 prospects are listed as invitees to tryout for spots on the US U-16 national team! (Dawn's influence?)

Please post info on other SC state prospects whether or not they have SCar or P-5 interest

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I heard that rumor as well on Groot, or something similar at least, and any conversation further on that should probably be moved to the private Gamecock recruiting chat.

Reaction Score
I heard that rumor as well on Groot, or something similar at least, and any conversation further on that should probably be moved to the private Gamecock recruiting chat.
Apologies for the possible dumb question. How does one get added to that chat?

Reaction Score
I bought a house in Indian Land, SC (suburb of Charlotte) in 2019. Hoping to be able to get down to see some of the SC games next season.
Will close on a house in Indian Land on 11 May. How do I do a PM?

Reaction Score
No mention of Oregon who cancelled our game this past season for covid reasons? I thought both sides said we were going to reschedule for this year. :(

We need to develop an annual PAC game. Need some West Coast exposure for national recruiting purposes. Actually, we need to schedule an annual against a top tier team in all power conferences. Doesn't neccessarily need to be Maryland, Stanford, Baylor. Indiana, Oregon and Texas/Okie State would suffice (Texas would be really enticing due to Vic). Of course we always play a neighboring ACC team or three

She said the Oregon game has fallen through...for some reason ... and chuckled.

Not sure what that means.

Reaction Score
No mention of Oregon who cancelled our game this past season for covid reasons? I thought both sides said we were going to reschedule for this year. :(

We need to develop an annual PAC game. Need some West Coast exposure for national recruiting purposes. Actually, we need to schedule an annual against a top tier team in all power conferences. Doesn't neccessarily need to be Maryland, Stanford, Baylor. Indiana, Oregon and Texas/Okie State would suffice (Texas would be really enticing due to Vic). Of course we always play a neighboring ACC team or three
I like that we schedule like a team that wants to showcase the sport.

One of those years it could really rear up and bite you, but I can't think of anything better from a fan perspective than having most of your games being of some interest.

Reaction Score
Maliyiah Mason a 5'11 G/W from Irmo (2023) at one time was on the recruiting board and I think may have reportedly had an offer.

I haven't heard a lot about her in the past year or so. Not sure if she's still a target or not.

Reaction Score
Maliyiah Mason a 5'11 G/W from Irmo (2023) at one time was on the recruiting board and I think may have reportedly had an offer.

I haven't heard a lot about her in the past year or so. Not sure if she's still a target or not.
Yeah, we reportedly offered a a couple of years ago but she has fallen off the radar lately. 9th grade "offers" are always very conditional.

Not a bad player. Several all-state mentions and considered a top 5 prospect in the state for 2023, but don't think her game has progressed enough for the A-list. She'll play somewhere.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: You guys are running a private gamecock recruiting chat?
Fight Tag GIF by Archer

Reaction Score
Will close on a house in Indian Land on 11 May. How do I do a PM?
Cool!!! Click on the persons profile picture and then click "start a conversation."

Reaction Score

This is interesting. I was wondering if there was a grad asst. spot or something open for her to stick around. Looks like she wants to go somewhere to lace ‘em back up. Played JUCO ball in Kansas her fr./soph years before coming to SC w/ Aliyah the last two years.

Reaction Score

Looks like Lele‘s coming back - or we got a grad transfer. I’m going w/ the former.

EDIT: Longshot possibility, but I guess an old birdie could also include former transfers like B. Jackson and A. Bradshaw. Don’t see either of the Mizzou girls returning though. I’m still thinking Lele.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t see Cooper at the point at all. My biggest fear is that Raven will make a big splash at the point as a frosh and Fulwiley might look at being a backup for two years. Not that I don’t want Raven to make a big splash.

russell may be the one left out which is why there are transfer rumors. Completely unsubstantiated rumors at this point though.
Fulwiley is a 2 who can play the point IMO (Like Zia). Raven and Milaysia played on the same AAU team in 2020 m where Raven was the Pg and Milaysia was the 2 Guard.;and became friends from my understanding. I think this friendship continues in Columbia where she will have impromptu visits

Reaction Score
It seems like our 1 and 2 are always point guards.. our last true SG at the two was probably Tiffany Mitchell and Kaela Davis. Correct me if I’m forgetting somebody.
in the WNBA.. You have to be a ball handler. Small guards have to be able to play both PG & SG

Reaction Score
Fulwiley is a 2 who can play the point IMO (Like Zia). Raven and Milaysia played on the same AAU team in 2020 m where Raven was the Pg and Milaysia was the 2 Guard.;and became friends from my understanding. I think this friendship continues in Columbia where she will have impromptu visits
Yeah, I gathered that they like playing together and are friends. I too hope that continues in Columbia.

Reaction Score
State of South Carolina recruiting prospects:

HG #8 Talaysia Cooper 6-0 Guard
HG #13 Ashlyn Watkins 6-3 PF

HG #3 Malaysia Fulwiley 5-6 PG
ASGR #17 Mary Ashley Groot 6-3 F
??? Riley Stack 6-4 F

HG Top25 Joyce Edwards 6-2 W/F

All of the above are reported to have offers from Dawn except Mary Ashley Groot who plays with Ashlyn Watkins on Asia Dozier's Cardinal Newman team. She is a Gamecock born and bred. Her grandmother (former chief judge of the US 4th District Court of Appeals) is an alumnus and the Law School Courtroom is named after her. Her mom is a NYC attorney and also an alum. Mary Ashley is rumored to have an open walkon offer because she doesn't need an athletic scholly. Rumor only and can never be confirmed. She does reportedly have a scholly offer from Miami.

All three 2023 prospects are listed as invitees to tryout for spots on the US U-16 national team! (Dawn's influence?)

Please post info on other SC state prospects whether or not they have SCar or P-5 interest
just my opinion -but the Groot Walk On thinking is just a thought as to how she may end up on the team more than concrete fact. I would think coach Staley would give her a scholly offer after she is evaluated this summer. Is she playing AAU ball this summer ? . Its insulting to say since your family has money-just walk on and save us a scholarship IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
just my opinion -but the Groot Walk On thinking is just a thought as to how she may end up on the team more than concrete fact. I would think coach Staley would .. give her a scholly offer after she is evaluated this summer. Is she playing AAU ball this summer ? I did not see her in the SC. Its insulting to say since your family has money-just walk on and save us a scholarship IMO.

I have no idea what she or her family wants to do and I agree that they probably would need to offer her but:

1. Her grandfather is on USC's Board of Trustees
2. The family is more than just average well off working professional wealthy.
3. Her step-dad seems to be a big deal. Current deputy commissioner of MLS, which just announced online education partnership with USC. Key figure in launch of WNBA.

so I don't know. If you're good enough to play you're going to want to play I would guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up expensive private school. Her step-dad is a Dukie, but they also lived out in San Fran so could see Stanford. Ivy another option.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like to see all top SC players stay in state. There are quite a few quality in-state recruits in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom