Gamecocks 2022 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wanna know if they will be visiting Raleigh next season.
I wouldn’t doubt it. She will usually schedule an in state school (Clemson), an HBCU, and then as many challenging games as she can schedule. The non-con schedule usually isn’t announced until it is complete, so that may be a while. She also plays home/home with Temple every 2 years.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they will complete the home and home series at NC State in the fall.

Reaction Score
She mentions non-conference dates vs NC State, Maryland, Duke, UConn, the loaded Island tournament. Mentioned talking with Stanford as they are looking to fill out East Coast trip.

that's probably more than half of the Elite 8.
From her last presser.

I assume Clemson will be back on again.

not sure if Temple is a fixture going forward.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She mentions non-conference dates vs NC State, Maryland, Duke, UConn, the loaded Island tournament. Mentioned talking with Stanford as they are looking to fill out East Coast trip.

that's probably more than half of the Elite 8.

You sure about that? I need to know before I start running my mouth.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I wanna know if they will be visiting Raleigh next season.
I'm sure of it. II hope the game is at RBC instead of Reynolds so there will be plenty of room for visiting Gamecock fans, kind of like there is at Cameron. :p

Reaction Score
Looking at the next recruiting class, it seems like the only real roster hole, if you can call it that is backup PG behind Raven Johnson.

The depth chart currently suggests that the role would be filled by Zia Cooke, which would probably work, but might not be ideal.

Has SC been recruiting Talaysia Cooper as a PG primarily, I wonder?

I've pencilled her in as more of a off guard or wing, but that may be wrong.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, she mentioned Duke as one of the schools she was looking to re-upping with. (Video should go straight to her talking about potential OOC scheduling). @triaddukefan

giphy.gif

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Looking at the next recruiting class, it seems like the only real roster hole, if you can call it that is backup PG behind Raven Johnson.

The depth chart currently suggests that the role would be filled by Zia Cooke, which would probably work, but might not be ideal.

Not sure what position we’re recruiting her for.. I just know that we are. Cooper is pretty good at everything guard related so a good option anywhere on the floor.

In the event Cooper goes elsewhere, SC’s next PG will likely come from 2023, either Milaysia Fulwiley or KK Arnold.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Milaysia Fulwiley; she is the real deal and from Columbia. She will have an entourage coming to see her at games; guaranteed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sure of it. II hope the game is at RBC instead of Reynolds so there will be plenty of room for visiting Gamecock fans, kind of like there is at Cameron. :p

I'm not sure what a craw is... but that first game still sticks in it. Trust me, there will be alot less room for the Chickens if they dare come back to Cameron... and if I'm sitting next to some.. I won't be as hospitable as I was at the first game. :mad:

Reaction Score
Milaysia Fulwiley; she is the real deal and from Columbia. She will have an entourage coming to see her at games; guaranteed.

Sure, she's scored 26ppg on 42% 3pt shooting and is the #3 player in the class according to ESPN.

I'm not 100% sure she's a PG with that array of moves, but if her listed size of 5'6 is correct that might be where she is. I swear that she looks bigger than that in highlights though.

Reaction Score

It may well be correct that Watkins and Cooper end up being the class.

I don't think that holding scholarships for seniors who take a fifth year is going to be a major part of the decision making process though.

I'm not sure South Carolina would have landed Nnaji anyway, but I'm relatively sure that taking Cardoso closed out the possibility. And I don't think they took Cardoso because they knew they were not getting Nnaji.

I think they'd probably have preferred Cardoso given the choice, but I'm sure they would have preferred Cardoso ready to commit over Nnaji being uncertain.

To me, it feels like three is the outside limit for the class. I don't see much use for more than 5 bigs. I could see taking two guards. There is no dedicated PG backup to Raven Johnson going forward (and of course you might well want competition to start there) and the evergreen idea that a shooter on the wing might be useful is ... evergreen.

Reaction Score
It may well be correct that Watkins and Cooper end up being the class.

I don't think that holding scholarships for seniors who take a fifth year is going to be a major part of the decision making process though.

I'm not sure South Carolina would have landed Nnaji anyway, but I'm relatively sure that taking Cardoso closed out the possibility. And I don't think they took Cardoso because they knew they were not getting Nnaji.

I think they'd probably have preferred Cardoso given the choice, but I'm sure they would have preferred Cardoso ready to commit over Nnaji being uncertain.

To me, it feels like three is the outside limit for the class. I don't see much use for more than 5 bigs. I could see taking two guards. There is no dedicated PG backup to Raven Johnson going forward (and of course you might well want competition to start there) and the evergreen idea that a shooter on the wing might be useful is ... evergreen.
I see it as . Cooper and Watkins would be a wrap. ...but you don't turn down Janiah Barker . If Barker is a "no". You have a coaches meeting on whether or not to take Kyla Oldacre

Reaction Score
I see it as . Cooper and Watkins would be a wrap. ...but you don't turn down Janiah Barker . If Barker is a "no". You have a coaches meeting on whether or not to take Kyla Oldacre
If Cooper and Watkins are "a wrap" why has neither committed? With Watkins, I can kinda understand that we MAY have been waiting to see on Maya (and maybe Barker) Cooper though appears to be the only guard we are looking at, Of course, we don't really know who Dawn is talking to behind the scenes.

Hearsay is that Dawn has hinted at "two or three" for this class but I can't find a quote - and don't know how that is affected by Cardosa.

Reaction Score

That class is coming in looking at Boston, Amihere, Feagin, and Cardoso ahead of them in their first season.

If you took 2 bigs at least one of them probably has to be content with redshirting as five bigs probably the limit of what makes sense to play.

Transfers could change things, but the Cardoso addition removes any urgency for two for the present.

Reaction Score
That class is coming in looking at Boston, Amihere, Feagin, and Cardoso ahead of them in their first season.

If you took 2 bigs at least one of them probably has to be content with redshirting as five bigs probably the limit of what makes sense to play.

Transfers could change things, but the Cardoso addition removes any urgency for two for the present.
I don't see players of this caliber being receptive to the idea of redshirting. Repeating myself though: why is guard Talasia Cooper "holding out" - if she is.

Reaction Score
I don't see players of this caliber being receptive to the idea of redshirting. Repeating myself though: why is guard Talasia Cooper "holding out" - if she is.
If they redshirt, they don't lose that year of eligibility correct?

On one hand I can understand the reluctance to do so. On the other, if it doesn't affect their scholarship, what's the harm from learning from some of the best bigs they could face and get an extra year of education? I know there are pros and cons...........just throwing this idea out there to see if it is an option.

Reaction Score
Yeah, redshirts are for injuries or for players that are academically ineligible such as the case with Doniyah Cliney. I don’t see them ever using redshirting like CFB does.

To my eyes, Barker looks as much a legitimate wing prospect as much as she is a forward, possibly more. She is one very skilled player IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69