Gamecocks 2022-23: Part One | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022-23: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For the SC WBB Recruitniks, the USA U17 team is currently playing New Zealand. A lot of 2023 targets for SC in that game.. Jaloni Cambridge, Madison Booker and JuJu Watkins. Cambridge looks really good IMO, her ceiling is high.. kind of more of a scoring point guard like Henny instead of a facilitator like Harris but Cambridge is capable in both areas and we know Dawn knows how to coach both styles. Booker has great size and has a knack for the ball. A lot of Saxton in her game. She's a ball hunter. In the right college conditioning program she's going to flourish. The potential for Saxton 2.0 is there. Watkins is having a rough tournament so far, she's much better than what she's showing and seems to be doing what Dawn calls "blending".. her shot isn't falling and she's struggling figuring out how to play her game on a team of likely future college stars. Still a fan though, everything is there. She needs the same pep talk that Dawn gave to Aliyah and A'ja when they were "blending"..

Breya Cunningham is a player committed to Arizona and I can't help but realize how much she reminds me of Aliyah Boston. They have a very similar body type and their game is even similar to a degree. Cunningham is not as skilled as Boston was at that age, but so much of their play style is similar. I will be following her at Arizona because I think she could be very good.

The game is at halftime so perfect time to tune and catch the last half. The game is much tighter than the score indicates and Team USA hasn't really looked super impressive in this game or the previous game. This could be a potentially dramatic tournament if the team doesn't make improvements stat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could be completely wrong about Cambridge but if u look at her Twitter I would say USC is a long shot. She likes a lot of posts about college wbb, but I saw no likes for anything Gamecock related. She does follow Dawn, Boyer and Raven though so there’s that.

Reaction Score
I could be completely wrong about Cambridge but if u look at her Twitter I would say USC is a long shot. She likes a lot of posts about college wbb, but I saw no likes for anything Gamecock related. She does follow Dawn, Boyer and Raven though so there’s that.
She may or may not but what I have learned following recruiting for a long time (this goes for every sport) is that social media can often be not reliable sign. I have seen quite a few recruiting situations in this past year alone, where their social media indicated there was a school they particularly followed the most but then they ended up committing elsewhere.

Reaction Score
For the SC WBB Recruitniks, the USA U17 team is currently playing New Zealand. A lot of 2023 targets for SC in that game.. Jaloni Cambridge, Madison Booker and JuJu Watkins. Cambridge looks really good IMO, her ceiling is high.. kind of more of a scoring point guard like Henny instead of a facilitator like Harris but Cambridge is capable in both areas and we know Dawn knows how to coach both styles. Booker has great size and has a knack for the ball. A lot of Saxton in her game. She's a ball hunter. In the right college conditioning program she's going to flourish. The potential for Saxton 2.0 is there. Watkins is having a rough tournament so far, she's much better than what she's showing and seems to be doing what Dawn calls "blending".. her shot isn't falling and she's struggling figuring out how to play her game on a team of likely future college stars. Still a fan though, everything is there. She needs the same pep talk that Dawn gave to Aliyah and A'ja when they were "blending"..

Breya Cunningham is a player committed to Arizona and I can't help but realize how much she reminds me of Aliyah Boston. They have a very similar body type and their game is even similar to a degree. Cunningham is not as skilled as Boston was at that age, but so much of their play style is similar. I will be following her at Arizona because I think she could be very good.

The game is at halftime so perfect time to tune and catch the last half. The game is much tighter than the score indicates and Team USA hasn't really looked super impressive in this game or the previous game. This could be a potentially dramatic tournament if the team doesn't make improvements stat.

Watkins had a struggle game yesterday is that the case again today? I notice she does pass the ball well when her shot isn’t falling. She was the u16 MVP so it’ll be interesting to see if she settles in.

Reaction Score
She may or may not but what I have learned following recruiting for a long time (this goes for every sport) is that social media can often be not reliable sign. I have seen quite a few recruiting situations in this past year alone, where their social media indicated there was a school they particularly followed the most but then they ended up committing elsewhere.
I will be happy to be wrong! Maybe she doesn’t want to tip her hat so she purposely doesn’t like some tweets … who knows!

Reaction Score
Watkins had a struggle game yesterday is that the case again today? I notice she does pass the ball well when her shot isn’t falling. She was the u16 MVP so it’ll be interesting to see if she settles in.
There are quite a few girls (more players than not) who have had a rough start in this tournament. Watkins is one of them but I don't doubt her abilities, I've seen a much larger sample size that tells me differently, she is the real deal. Her and Williams both have not shot the ball particularly well but the nice thing is they show you they are extremely valuable doing the little things when they aren't scoring (rebounding, defense, setting up their teammate).

I will be interested to see where Watkins ends up going. She will be a good one. Not familiar with her college interest but just speaking on what I have seen from her watching her in the AAU circuit, she is the complete package.

Reaction Score
There are quite a few girls (more players than not) who have had a rough start in this tournament. Watkins is one of them but I don't doubt her abilities, I've seen a much larger sample size that tells me differently, she is the real deal. Her and Williams both have not shot the ball particularly well but the nice thing is they show you they are extremely valuable doing the little things when they aren't scoring (rebounding, defense, setting up their teammate).

I will be interested to see where Watkins ends up going. She will be a good one. Not familiar with her college interest but just speaking on what I have seen from her watching her in the AAU circuit, she is the complete package.

I’m hoping she chooses SC or atleast a school that will maximize her potential. I think staying home going to USC or UCLA will make her worse as a player imo.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping she chooses SC or atleast a school that will maximize her potential. I think staying home going to USC or UCLA will make her worse as a player imo.
USC would be her worst choice. UCLA isn't terrible but wouldn't expect her to thrive as well as other places. I always assumed Stanford would be the biggest threat to beat but I could be wrong. UCLA certainly has been getting after it recently on the recruiting trail, they have some superb commitments, just inking Rice and having Jada Williams/Amanda Muse already committed for 23.

Will be pretty vigorous recruiting battle to land her, that is for sure. I think the fact that she is a Cali girl will make it more difficult to land her if you arent on the west coast, not saying it isn't possible but historically its a lot more challenging to pull that off.

Reaction Score
How long have you needed glasses?
Is that really necessary. It doesn't seem that farfetched. Personally I wouldn't make that prediction, but we're bringing back a good majority of a team with a lot of experience and success. Predicting the team that 15-1 last season improving by a game is hardly a stretch.

Reaction Score
1657657038301.png

Reaction Score
Per her IG story Fulwiley will release her top 5 soon and seem to be really entertaining Florida which is something I found to be interesting. Especially the context of the video.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Per her IG story Fulwiley will release her top 5 soon and seem to be really entertaining Florida which is something I found to be interesting. Especially the context of the video.
She doesn’t have to come to SC, but FLORIDA?

My goodness. Does she want to play basketball still?

Reaction Score
She doesn’t have to come to SC, but FLORIDA?

My goodness. Does she want to play basketball still?

My thoughts exactly lol. Is Florida even supposed to be good this season? Idk what Rae-Finley and Jordan are selling but it must be good for her to post a hype video. I hope she isn’t buying “we’re going to put the ball in your hands day 1” because that’s what it seems and I would rather see her be successful with a team like SC than struggle at Florida just to average 20 ppg. :confused:

Reaction Score
Regarding that 16-0 vision you see in the SEC, may require a visit to your optometrist...Things have changed.
SpryLimpingKarakul-size_restricted.gif
Umm are you trying to say something here? Obviously you’re not a SC fan so do tell who you think will win in the SEC this year…

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly lol. Is Florida even supposed to be good this season? Idk what Rae-Finley and Jordan are selling but it must be good for her to post a hype video. I hope she isn’t buying “we’re going to put the ball in your hands day 1” because that’s what it seems and I would rather see her be successful with a team like SC than struggle at Florida just to average 20 ppg. :confused:
They’re definitely telling her that.

Florida is doing what most programs do, go after big recruits.. that are probably too big for your program in its current state. Florida has had good players, but you build a program in steps not leaps. Florida is trying to skip steps. More power to them.

Reaction Score

Florida is doing what most programs do, go after big recruits.. that are probably too big for your program in its current state. Florida has had good players, but you build a program in steps not leaps. Florida is trying to skip steps. More power to them.

Exactly. If I were them I would target players like Aleecia Carter, Alex Blue, Chloe Kitts and her sister Kylee Kitts to name a few. At least go after your states best first.

Reaction Score

If the GG Jackson rumors are true, then the USC men's program will be leaping into year 1 of the Lamont Paris tenure. Sometimes the unexpected happens. It'll be crazy if we have the POY candidates in both men's and women's basketball. One can dream...

Reaction Score
I wish we had more elite OOC games later in the season when the teams have had a chance to gel.
It’s called the NCAA Tournament.

Joking of course. But conference seasons and tournaments don’t leave room for much. Glad SCar and UConn are able to pursuade their conferences to keep them some flexibility to play after New Years Day. Of course, both conferences benefit from the publicity surrounding the “rivalry.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom