Game Week - UConn v. Virginia | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
All things considered, after nearly 6 years of terrible to slightly less terrible football, CR hell and then last weeks debacle the fact that 26,000 people still paid to show is actually impressive.

Take a look at some of our competitors for the big 12 ( BYU aside) and it's not that bad given the on field product.

Hell, the next time the team wins 7 or 8 games wed be back in the upper 30s in a heart beat.

Reaction Score
You can't play boring bad football. Almost lose to Maine lose to Navy in keystone kops style and expect to bring sro crowds. I know 26000 is bad but until the product is improved that is what we'll get. I know Benedict gets it. And it's why I think Diaco is indeed in a much warmer seat than most people do. This team doesn't get at least 6 wins and a bowl game and there is a new man on the sidelines for Holy Cross.

Last year, it was fair to bemoan the low scoring grind it out nature we played even when we won against bad teams. This year, we've scored 24 points a game and given up 24.5 points per game. There has been substantially more scoring (unfortunately including points allowed) and two close games. If you weren't carrying forward your opinion from last year, you could not classify these two games as boring.

Reaction Score
All things considered, after nearly 6 years of terrible to slightly less terrible football, CR hell and then last weeks debacle the fact that 26,000 people still paid to show is actually impressive.

Take a look at some of our competitors for the big 12 ( BYU aside) and it's not that bad given the on field product.

Hell, the next time the team wins 7 or 8 games wed be back in the upper 30s in a heart beat.
I'd agree with you if it weren't a power 5 team (albeit a not so good one). There's no excuse to be below 30k in attendance. If we want to be in P5 we need to show that we belong. 26k against any P5 opponent is embarrassing. However, I'm still holding out hope that the late week and walk up sales will bump those numbers up because it's looking like it'll be a beautiful day.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Agreed.

Its just frustrating because if we had just taken care of business easier against Maine, and not completely butchered the end of the Navy game, 2 things that should have happened, we'd be 2-0 coming off maybe the best comeback in UConn history, and this team would have a lot of buzz right now.

But hey, build on the positives of the 2nd half of Navy and look good this week, and then Syracuse should have some excitement.

Reaction Score
Last year, it was fair to bemoan the low scoring grind it out nature we played even when we won against bad teams. This year, we've scored 24 points a game and given up 24.5 points per game. There has been substantially more scoring (unfortunately including points allowed) and two close games. If you weren't carrying forward your opinion from last year, you could not classify these two games as boring.
Now you are just being lawyerly The point is that there was some positive energy coming into the season. A poorly played ugly opener against a team we should have blown away, followed by the keystone kops routine on Saturday has dissipated much of that among the non-diehard fans. It's more "here we go again."

Reaction Score
Now you are just being lawyerly

No, not at all. We deal with both the "we suck" comments and the "even when we don't suck we don't score enough to attract fans" comments. You clearly wrote something that implied the latter. FActs count.

By the way -- is "lawyerly" -- presumably meaning careful, normally correct and with people caring about what you say -- meant to be an insult? Because of so, #insultharder.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller@NHRJimFuller 36 mins ago
As of this morning about 26,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday's #UConn/Virginia football game

Mike Anthony ‏@ManthonyCourant 4m 4 minutes ago
26,000 tickets have been distributed for UConn-Virginia game.

Sounds like old info... Fuller reported same # yesterday. Know for a fact that it's changed by at least 4 since yesterday (additional converts).;)

Still seeing info on promo code PW2016 for $15 tickets to the game earlier today.

Reaction Score
No bl I meant lawyerly as in incapable of seeing anything but black and white. Or "derived from lawyer as in how do you tell the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead skunk in the road? Skid marks in front of the skunk."
Let's put it this way. We barely hung on to beat Maine (when, lest you forget, he left enough time on the clock to give Maine a final desperation play for the win) then bungled the ending of Navy. Both may have been "exciting" but neither gave a sense of a team that is on the upswing. There was a sense after last year going into this season that UConn was on the on the upswing. The struggle with Maine followed up by the sheer ineptitude at Navy and its aftermath have drained much of the positive vibe around the program. In fact I think if we lose Saturday it will begin to approach Pasqualonian levels.

Reaction Score
No bl I meant lawyerly as in incapable of seeing anything but black and white. Or "derived from lawyer as in how do you tell the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead skunk in the road? Skid marks in front of the skunk."
Let's put it this way. We barely hung on to beat Maine (when, lest you forget, he left enough time on the clock to give Maine a final desperation play for the win) then bungled the ending of Navy. Both may have been "exciting" but neither gave a sense of a team that is on the upswing. There was a sense after last year going into this season that UConn was on the on the upswing. The struggle with Maine followed up by the sheer ineptitude at Navy and its aftermath have drained much of the positive vibe around the program. In fact I think if we lose Saturday it will begin to approach Pasqualonian levels.

If it does, that would reflect on the lunacy/immaturity of the fanbase more than the reality of the situation. The team is getting better. I have no clue whether HCBD will ever be better at game management, as I keep saying, and it may be his undoing at the end, but any comparison between our track at the end of the P era and our track now is absurd. Come back to me at the end of the season and tell me you don't think there was any improvement year to year in the team. You can't have concluded that yet. All you can have concluded to date is that HCBD hasn't eliinated has crazy game decision making mistakes, which is frustrating but hardly where our program as a whole is headed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

For the record, and I think @businesslawyer would agree, lawyers see almost nothing in black and white. Everything is grey.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I can see where freescooter's post above probably describes someone watching the scores. we're going to need results at some point to start bringing back old fans or bringing in new ones. To anyone watching the games and paying attention however, the improvement should be obvious. The football is better, the results are coming. Hopefully before we run out of patience.

Reaction Score
Deep ties...

Roanoke Times: Ex-Virginians await Cavaliers at UConn

>>Third-year Connecticut head coach Bobby Diaco previously was a defensive coordinator at Virginia and has been joined at UConn by Poindexter, Brown, ex-Cavaliers assistant Wayne Lineburg and former UVa strength coach Matt Balis.<<

Jim Fuller on UVA Connections: UConn defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter knows Virginia’s defensive stars rather well

Reaction Score
I can see where freescooter's post above probably describes someone watching the scores. we're going to need results at some point to start bringing back old fans or bringing in new ones. To anyone watching the games and paying attention however, the improvement should be obvious. The football is better, the results are coming. Hopefully before we run out of patience.
The football is better? Here's the thing about athletics. You either win or you lose and you are what your record says you are. We are 1-1. Our coach has made bad decisions in both games. Cost us one. My point is that we need to make improvement. Look like a real football team. Not make unbelievable decisions if we expect to bring back fans. This year has not been a step in that direction so far..It has been a step backward.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The football is better? Here's the thing about athletics. You either win or you lose and you are what your record says you are. We are 1-1. Our coach has made bad decisions in both games. Cost us one. My point is that we need to make improvement. Look like a real football team. Not make unbelievable decisions if we expect to bring back fans. This year has not been a step in that direction so far..It has been a step backward.
You're more than entitled to your opinion; I don't agree. No one is arguing that we don't need improvement - that may have been your intended point but what you typed is "approaching pasqualoni levels". That is nonsense to anybody watching.
I've played and watched a lot football over the last 50+ years and while I understand that it's a results business, I believe in the eye test. My opinion, on the eye test, is that this team is much improved, especially on offense from last year and light years beyond years previous. They have to clean up the mistakes but that wouldn't matter if they didn't have a better foundation in place.

Reaction Score
"I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted."

In that particular circumstance, an incomplete pass would have been ok.

Reaction Score
"I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted."

Why must that be true? The way he proclaims loyalty to an idealogy that has produced the worst offensive numbers in FBS for 2 years running makes you think he made up his mind about something that worked somewhere in the past and then closed the book on any other path to success. Was that statement made after BS went 23 of 26 with a TD and zero int.'s?

I really should be used to these statements by now but they go beyond semantics in terms of thought process. I sincerely hope he builds on the successes of this past week because what we are capable of can win this game for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maine called a timeout to stop the clock. How is that on Diaco?

Reaction Score
04.jpg

Reaction Score
Call me weird, but I'd rather beat Virginia, BCU, and Syracuse than Temple, Cincinnati, and ECU.

I really hate the ACC.
I don't know about you, but can't they just beat them all!?!

With the way the game ended last week, leaving the team gutted but inspired, anyone else think this team comes out hungry and fired up ready to make a statement? I DO.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I don't know about you, but can't they just beat them all!?!

With the way the game ended last week, leaving the team gutted but inspired, anyone else think this team comes out hungry and fired up ready to make a statement? I DO.

God, I hope so. Love to hang 50 on an ACC school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom