Game Week - UConn v. Virginia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Daily Campus Sports@dcsportsdept 1 min ago
Diaco on Virginia: "They're an ACC team, they look like an ACC team. They've got some real explosive players."

Patrick Eaton-Robb@peatonrobb just now
Diaco very forthcoming, spent half an hour talking answering questions about the end of Navy game.

ThisIsUConnCountry@MattSchonvisky just now
Diaco: "I have to believe end of Navy will effect players positively. Always been able to take pain/adversity as strengthening partner"

ThisIsUConnCountry@MattSchonvisky just now
"Everyone in our org i believe is more mentally strong. That's how we work in our family & I believe that to be the case."

Reaction Score
What good purpose did revealing that serve?

I'm really not sure... they asked, he answered and probably in too much detail/honesty. In his mind - it's a team/family. He did make it clear - it wasn't an excuse and the "coaches" made the final call.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Diaco seemed like he really wanted to emphasize that the coaches were well prepared to manage those late game play calls. He admitted he might have pulled the trigger too fast on the timeout...but he explained why he thought they might run out of time. But...if he had a second chance he wouldnt have called the TO. That's where he thought they should have gotten the 147th play...not by running two plays after the TO. He doesn't seem to regret calling the run play....but he does regret the TO.

I still don't agree with how he managed the game....but listening to him did make me feel better about his capability...and accountability.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Biggest mistake in the last sequence was calling the time out. Hopefully BD is being truthful about thinking they could have gotten the play off and learns to trust his QB to do that.

If there is growth to be had here, then I would look there first.

As for taking a safety, up 3, with 5 minutes left on the clock, we'll call that disaster averted. Maybe the urge to be 'creative' became to much for Bob and that's why he chose to run the ball. He was feeling good about not making an even bigger mistake.

He's the anti-Randy in that regard. RE was happy to play it conventional to the point of being boring.

Bob needs to learn the most of the time nothing really good or bad is going to happen and trust this super preparation of his. Football is an old game. Most of the time the conventional wisdom is correct.

Reaction Score
Just from the summary, I will make one point. It's great that the team wanted to smashmouth it in on 2d down, and it's great that HCBD hears them. But the grown up in the room needed to say "I'm all for that. But it would be malpractice to only give us one chance to score here when we can get three. So if we're still on the 1/2 yard line for 4th down, we will let you try to win it in the pits. But first we're trying two quick flag patterns, at least one to Noel, where the only two results are TD or quick incompletion."

Everything the players said was fine. His including them in the decision is fine. But there is a middle ground between ignoring your troops and letting them make illogical decisions. The middle ground was there. he completely blew it.

Reaction Score
As for taking a safety, up 3, with 5 minutes left on the clock, we'll call that disaster averted. Maybe the urge to be 'creative' became to much for Bob and that's why he chose to run the ball. He was feeling good about not making an even bigger mistake.

No Schlitz... glad that was a short conversation!

Reaction Score
Diaco seemed like he really wanted to emphasize that the coaches were well prepared to manage those late game play calls. He admitted he might have pulled the trigger too fast on the timeout...but he explained why he thought they might run out of time. But...if he had a second chance he wouldnt have called the TO. That's where he thought they should have gotten the 147th play...not by running two plays after the TO. He doesn't seem to regret calling the run play....but he does regret the TO.

I still don't agree with how he managed the game....but listening to him did make me feel better about his capability...and accountability.

Nothing he said made me feel better about his capability. It's just idiotic to run the ball there. Regardless of what the players wanted to do. He keeps talking about having that one extra play. Does he still think it was 3rd down?

Reaction Score
He keeps talking about having that one extra play. Does he still think it was 3rd down?

I want to see what the guys in the room write, tough to get a sense based on twitter and what he's saying in relation to questions (still hard to hear questions asked in room @ time) but I'm questioning whether there were actually two plays called. Someone went there but not sure how it was worded. Hopefully they follow up on that a bt more.

At least in hindsight he said he wouldn't make that call again;) Duh!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He keeps saying two plays. Does he still think it was 3rd down or does he not believe you can Pass/Pass and then run a 3rd play in 17 seconds?

Reaction Score
I'm with Jimmy on this. He bungled the situation. Didn't know the most basic things like the down and now he says he let the players call the play. Bus meet players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diaco ends up a good head coach some day but he really should have put in time in the MAC or the Sunbelt or 1AA or somewhere. My big fear is that he costs us a couple of years before he moves back where he should have been in the first place. Which gets me back to my earlier question of how long do you go before concluding whether he is or is not your guy? We are in year 3. If he doesn't improve on 6-6 is that enough? What about next year? If we go 8-2 the rest of the way this discussion is obviously moot but 5-5? 4-6? If this year we keep seeing the same mistakes and the same crazy decision and the same results, is it time to just move on? Or is .500ish fine? You can sort of make that decision institutionally I think. I'd argue that there are Schools in almost every conference that have that view. If they catch lightening in a bottle now and then great but otherwise they are more or less content to be where they are.

Reaction Score
Purely the way I think ...

This Virginia game is one of the biggest in our FBS history - suddenly. That was a monumental TEAM error. Led by a coach who just has to grow up a little. I understand what he is trying to do with these noises he is making at the Presser; but, you just made a career making mistake. You own it. We had a WIN that would significantly change our Program in our hands. Now, you have to show us - your TEAM and this hungry fanbase - that you can bring us to a different platform than this feeling we have today. You can make that step in a hurry as our next game is upon us. Win big and look like we can plow through much of the rest of this schedule. Shirreffs has been a englightened leader: let's see if you the well-paid coaching staff can drive this Program to higher ground.

Reaction Score
He considered taking a safety?!?!? Really. Did he consider trying a pass on either of the downs preceding the punt? He made Randy Cross look like a genius as he even predicted they would regret not trying to get that first down.

Take a safety?? Wow!

Reaction Score
He considered taking a safety?!?!? Really. Did he consider trying a pass on either of the downs preceding the punt? He made Randy Cross look like a genius as he even predicted they would regret not trying to get that first down.

Take a safety?? Wow!

You really need to hear the audio to understand the "what if" situational conversation - the tweet doesn't do it justice. If he did that though, the BY would have broken the internet. ;)

Reaction Score
Just from the summary, I will make one point. It's great that the team wanted to smashmouth it in on 2d down, and it's great that HCBD hears them. But the grown up in the room needed to say "I'm all for that. But it would be malpractice to only give us one chance to score here when we can get three. So if we're still on the 1/2 yard line for 4th down, we will let you try to win it in the pits. But first we're trying two quick flag patterns, at least one to Noel, where the only two results are TD or quick incompletion."

Everything the players said was fine. His including them in the decision is fine. But there is a middle ground between ignoring your troops and letting them make illogical decisions. The middle ground was there. he completely blew it.
Totally agree....the players are ALWAYS going to say, "Let's punch it in!!! We got this coach, it's six inches." We've seen this before with this O-line and this team. It hasn't worked in short yardage situations. Hasn't BD learned that yet?

Furthermore, if BD is taking accountability, don't even mention the players called for it. Leave them out of it. Say you made the call because you believed in your guys up front and RJ to get the job done. Credit Navy for stuffing it.

Did anyone ask BD if he thought RJ bounced it out of the hole too quickly?

Reaction Score
Did anyone ask BD if he thought RJ bounced it out of the hole too quickly?

Not that I heard (or any response that sounded like it was asked during the actual press conf.)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how much energy they come out with Saturday.

If what we've been told is true about brotherhoods and spirit - there shouldn't be any reason to come out flat.

Yeah, come out and start against UVA like the second half at Navy. Bring the energy buckets on both D and O. And for the O, that means no RRPP....no "power" backfield sets.

Reaction Score
Regarding HCBD saying the players were pumped up for the run call. I think BL expressed the correct thought saying fine, but first 2 quick pass attempts, and then the run.

I remember back with HCRE in the Pitt (?) game where I think on the game winning 2 point conversion it was QB Hernandez that said coach lets do this play and HCRE went for it. But the huge difference was that there was only one play. As BL pointed out the team may want a run call but the HC has to manage and say cool but 2 pass attempts first.

Reaction Score
Regarding HCBD saying the players were pumped up for the run call. I think BL expressed the correct thought saying fine, but first 2 quick pass attempts, and then the run.

I remember back with HCRE in the Pitt (?) game where I think on the game winning 2 point conversion it was QB Hernandez that said coach lets do this play and HCRE went for it. But the huge difference was that there was only one play. As BL pointed out the team may want a run call but the HC has to manage and say cool but 2 pass attempts first.

There is a lot to be gained from deferring to the player's wishes, but not when the wishes are irrational to the situation, and it was irrational to settle for one chance to score when you could have had three. Despite what some here have said, electing to run instead of pass if the clock stopped being a factor was not irrational. You might disagree with it but that is entirely different than it being irrational.

The fact that he still doesn't understand that he had three shots to score, instead of two -- if that is in fact the case -- is beyond frightening.

Reaction Score
You really need to hear the audio to understand the "what if" situational conversation - the tweet doesn't do it justice. If he did that though, the BY would have broken the internet. ;)

In all honesty, I am not ready to hear a sound escape his cowardly lips. Still too soon for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom