Game Week - UConn v. MTSU (Friday 10/22/21 @ 6p on CBSSN) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn v. MTSU (Friday 10/22/21 @ 6p on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
I think Brewton was dinged up a bit, which was probably why didn't see much of him (if at all) back there

Reaction Score
It was a pretty good crowd for a Saturday and the manager gives me a smile.
That went over the heads of just about everyone here. I did put bread in his jar in Amsterdam in 2002, though. Felt good to do that actually. Not THE guy, but A guy. At an Indonesian cuisine place. A Yank.

Reaction Score
It’s probable that the reason Brewton isn’t returning punts is that the coaches aren’t nearly as smart as you, and as good as he is at returning kickoffs it has never occurred to them.

That what you wanted to hear? Seriously, what’s wrong with you? The answer that they have practices and for whatever reason Marion is better than him at returning punts didn’t occur to you? Maybe he can’t catch the ball with defenders bearing down on him. Maybe he can’t make the first guy miss before getting to full speed as good as Marion can. They are somewhat different skills.
But not only do they have practices, they also have plenty of data from games. Under real world conditions with the imminence of execution sharpening the mind. Just offhand I think that is what he was getting at.

Reaction Score

I wonder if they have drills to teach picking up on cues for when it is time to turn the head? They have been doing better, but that has historically been a problem over the past decade.

Reaction Score
It’s probable that the reason Brewton isn’t returning punts is that the coaches aren’t nearly as smart as you, and as good as he is at returning kickoffs it has never occurred to them.

That what you wanted to hear? Seriously, what’s wrong with you? The answer that they have practices and for whatever reason Marion is better than him at returning punts didn’t occur to you? Maybe he can’t catch the ball with defenders bearing down on him. Maybe he can’t make the first guy miss before getting to full speed as good as Marion can. They are somewhat different skills.
Go take a Xanax. I was looking for whether he was hurt since he didn’t play last game and is penciled in for KR this week but not PR. So, I was looking for info on whether he is to see limited play due to injury or some other reason. More generally, if you had watched any games where he was returning the ball, you’d be able to deduce the above intent of the question. Have a great day chasing ambulances.

Reaction Score

And maybe the reason is the same head coach who is directing who is to return punts is the same guy who tried to substitute a DL player as Yale was hiking the ball on the supposed last play of the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Ehh. You gotta do better than "Coaches are smarter than fans". We've already seen the prior staff completely FUBAR'd some of the depth chart for reasons unbeknownst to us but us fans do beknownst the coaches improperly evaluated the talent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I did put bread in his jar in Amsterdam in 2002, though. Felt good to do that actually.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Especially in Amsterdam. Was just there a couple of weekends ago.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they have drills to teach picking up on cues for when it is time to turn the head? They have been doing better, but that has historically been a problem over the past decade.
Much is debated over this in the football world. It’s not as easy as you think. Most of the time you can’t get your head around until you’re in phase and/or you’ve read down the receiver i.e knowing for sure it’s a go ball and not a 12 yard comeback (run at about 14 yds before the break) else you will be turning your head to look for the ball and the receiver will be breaking down and coming back to the ball. Sometimes playing through a receiver’s hands is far more effective. Remember, the receiver is tracking the ball while in stride because he was looking back and anticipating the ball to begin with plus he knows the route he’s running. The DB doesn’t know when the ball is coming so if he gets his around too soon (before he can actually feel the receiver) he will slow down for a split second to find the ball. A well placed ball will have the DB two steps behind and unable to make a play on the ball.

And if the DB doesn’t have the sideline as his friend and there’s a lot of space around, if he turns his head before he’s in phase he can drift while attempting to locate the ball and lose track of the receiver. Bottom line is you get your head around when you can feel the receiver and keep up your speed while locating the ball because you have a body to track, also, if you’re in tight red zone and the back of the endzone is there well you can get your head around because there isn’t much room for the ball to travel before it’s out of bounds.

However, when I see a DB running stride for stride with a receiver on a go ball and never turns his head to locate after about 25 yards of running that shouldn’t happen. That’s when you get called for PI because usually they panic and interfere with the receiver before the ball gets there- not to mention if the ball is under thrown (which you would have seen had your head been around).

Hope that helps a bit

Reaction Score
That went over the heads of just about everyone here. I did put bread in his jar in Amsterdam in 2002, though. Felt good to do that actually. Not THE guy, but A guy. At an Indonesian cuisine place. A Yank.
Reminds me of something that I witnessed in Amsterdam in 1995 while taking a MBA class in Maastricht. Easiest and most fun 6 credits of that degree. We went out drinking many nights with the professors.

I went to Amsterdam one weekend and was walking around and saw some guy playing the guitar and people were throwing money into his guitar case. One guy had the onions to ask him if he could have a few bucks. That city is a trip. I was looking at my map trying to get back to my hotel and multiple people stopped to help without me asking.

Reaction Score
Much is debated over this in the football world. It’s not as easy as you think. Most of the time you can’t get your head around until you’re in phase and/or you’ve read down the receiver i.e knowing for sure it’s a go ball and not a 12 yard comeback (run at about 14 yds before the break) else you will be turning your head to look for the ball and the receiver will be breaking down and coming back to the ball. Sometimes playing through a receiver’s hands is far more effective. Remember, the receiver is tracking the ball while in stride because he was looking back and anticipating the ball to begin with plus he knows the route he’s running. The DB doesn’t know when the ball is coming so if he gets his around too soon (before he can actually feel the receiver) he will slow down for a split second to find the ball. A well placed ball will have the DB two steps behind and unable to make a play on the ball.

And if the DB doesn’t have the sideline as his friend and there’s a lot of space around, if he turns his head before he’s in phase he can drift while attempting to locate the ball and lose track of the receiver. Bottom line is you get your head around when you can feel the receiver and keep up your speed while locating the ball because you have a body to track, also, if you’re in tight red zone and the back of the endzone is there well you can get your head around because there isn’t much room for the ball to travel before it’s out of bounds.

However, when I see a DB running stride for stride with a receiver on a go ball and never turns his head to locate after about 25 yards of running that shouldn’t happen. That’s when you get called for PI because usually they panic and interfere with the receiver before the ball gets there- not to mention if the ball is under thrown (which you would have seen had your head been around).

Hope that helps a bit
I like the comment when the sideline is your friend. How many times this last decade have we seen the UConn defender not turn as they get to the corner of the end zone?

But the question was, are they running drills on this stuff? And what I think I heard you say is that it is a tough technique problem, and just because they don't often get it right, don't assume they are not doing drills on it. Are you comfortable with that?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I like the comment when the sideline is your friend. How many times this last decade have we seen the UConn defender not turn as they get to the corner of the end zone?

But the question was, are they running drills on this stuff? And what I think I heard you say is that it is a tough technique problem, and just because they don't often get it right, don't assume they are not doing drills on it. Are you comfortable with that?
After re-watching the last 2 or 3 games, I noticed that Stan Cross looks like he does a good job of getting his head around when defending. I like that kid.

Reaction Score

I can’t say for sure if they are running drills on that or not as I’m not at the practices. But I’m pretty sure the concept of being in phase or out of phase is discussed/taught in that DB room. The reality is when it’s a live bullet a lot of times a DB chooses the safer route which is to keep his eyes on the target and attempt to play his hands as the ball goes right past his helmet and everyone screams, “Get your head around and that could have been a pick!” I use to scream that out all the time but now I understand that it’s just not that simple when everything is moving so fast.

I’ve seen corners get their head around too soon and give up the score while being a step or two behind and people scream that he’s too slow of a DB not realizing that he slowed himself down while looking.

I agree, we are playing those situations much better but if you watch football on Saturdays and Sundays which I’m sure you do, you’ll know that it plagues many a DB which then should queue you in on the fact that it’s easier said then done when you have so many things swimming in your head while carrying the burden of getting smoked for a td. Besides QB it’s the toughest position to play in my opinion

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Tonight Show Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Question. Why isn’t Brewton returning punts along with kickoffs? He the most explosive returner we have by a mile.
Most explosive would be debatable. People are ignoring Devontae Houston who has shown explosiveness and elusiveness the past 2 games…specifically two plays that Brewton was held to negative yardage. Perhaps, Brewton should be permanent return guy aside Houston and Burns. And assist in PR with Marion. But I think Houston is the guy for the slot with that burst of speed.

Reaction Score
Most explosive would be debatable. People are ignoring Devontae Houston who has shown explosiveness and elusiveness the past 2 games…specifically two plays that Brewton was held to negative yardage. Perhaps, Brewton should be permanent return guy aside Houston and Burns. And assist in PR with Marion. But I think Houston is the guy for the slot with that burst of speed.
Houston has really caught my eye, but I’ll take your word for it. There are young guys with some talent that’s for sure. Maybe Marion has better hands for PR, but he’s (hope I’m wrong) not a zero to 60 in 2 seconds with the ability to see and attack open lanes. I still don’t know why he didn’t do KR against Yale. Hurt or Dog house?

Reaction Score
Houston has really caught my eye, but I’ll take your word for it. There are young guys with some talent that’s for sure. Maybe Marion has better hands for PR, but he’s (hope I’m wrong) not a zero to 60 in 2 seconds with the ability to see and attack open lanes. I still don’t know why he didn’t do KR against Yale. Hurt or Dog house?
Good question! I hope whomever the next coach is can figure out player’s strengths and utilize them all in the right way. It’s a lot of speed and quick hands on the sideline.

Reaction Score
Billy Joel He does it at every concert I have been to

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom