Game thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Reaction Score
Same here with the 4k big screen TV, just waiting for the Networks and DirecTV to start broadcasting in 4k tho even though the current upscaling is nice.
Had a Vizo 60 inch with 4k fantastic Roku picture. Traded it in for a 65 phillips I'm in pig heaven a photograph isn't clearer.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The second Katie Lou left the game and they announced that Stevens had 4 fouls (whichever came first, I think it was pretty close in game time) and INSTEAD of attacking Stevens, Notre Dame started hoisting threes.. I knew the game was over for them... and they were still up by 10 or more at this point. You do not beat UConn with that kind of discipline.

Exactly my thoughts. Shot selection was atrocious for Notre Dame in the 4th. There was no dribble penetration and they didn’t ferociously go after rebounds like they had all game. No screens or attempts to run a high low or backdoor. They got rattled and started hoisting bad triples. Poor finish after a really strong start.

Against UCONN the margin for error is 0 and there were a few plays earlier on that I thought really hurt Notre Dame. The missed breakaway layup by Thompson or Arike led to a foul and free throws for Samuelson that was a 4 point swing. It would’ve been 64-52 but instead it was 62-54 after. They also gave up that Samuelson 3 at the end of the first half, and most significant was Shepard missed the layup while UCONN made its run and it wouldve slowed the momentum. Notre Dame played a fantastic game, especially considering they were without Turner, but those little slip ups were the difference IMO. If they had a little more cushion, it would’ve been neck and neck down the stretch and it could’ve been a different result.

I do think ND is once again the second best team in the country, and on the bright side for them, this was by far the closest game they’ve had against Connecticut since the Diggins days. Great game and showing for women’s basketball today. Wish ND won but I’m giedsing there will be a rematch in March.

Reaction Score
The one I'm seeing on ESPN doesn't list "team rebounds." That usually gets added at the very end when the tally up the minutes.
On th ESPN box, click “Bench” to expand to show all the players. Team totals are below that. ND out-rebounded is 41-39.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Shep missed a few put backs that she was getting to fall in the first half. And, yes, I would've liked to have seen Arike or Jackie take it to the middle in the fourth quarter for precisely that reason.

Don't know if you noticed that when Arike dribbled for nearly an entire shot clock and then hoisted a three, MM took her out for nearly a minute. She agrees with you.

Tough loss for you guys. I was hoping Jackie would take over like she did versus SC. UConn did a nice job neutralizing her. Arike seemed off the entire game IMO.. she started the game hitting bangers off the rim and missed a lot of shots that she was hitting with her eyes closed vs. SC. ND missed so many easy shots.. very uncharacteristic for them. The UConn factor is REAL.. teams lose all sense of confidence when the play the Huskies. The same shots that ND missed today wide open they were hitting with multiple hands in their face versus SC.

It’s amazing what UConn does to teams. Not even necessarily intimidation.. more like confidence is loss as the game progresses.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Thought my comment was pretty much in the same spirit....Didn't need Arike hoisting three's in the fourth...would rather have had her attacking the lane to get fouled.

If I'm correct, I think Geno switched Nurse over to Marina in the fourth quarter after KLS went down. Good move.

I wish someone would analyze women’s basketball numbers and we could see the average % a player shoots from 3 when it’s catch and shoot vs dribbling on the perimeter and shooting. Unless you’re stepping into a shot, having to transition from dribbling to set shooting absolutely kills the chances of making the basket. Arike can be sensational, and she was in stretches, but she is not effective shooting triples off the dribble. The poor shot selection killed Notre Dame. It looked like they froze and forgot what they did to put themselves in a position to win.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Tough loss for you guys. I was hoping Jackie would take over like she did versus SC. UConn did a nice job neutralizing her. Arike seemed off the entire game IMO.. she started the game hitting bangers off the rim and missed a lot of shots that she was hitting with her eyes closed vs. SC. ND missed so many easy shots.. very uncharacteristic for them. The UConn factor is REAL.. teams lose all sense of confidence when the play the Huskies. The same shots that ND missed today wide open they were hitting with multiple hands in their face versus SC.

It’s amazing what UConn does to teams. Not even necessarily intimidation.. more like confidence is loss.

We’ve seen this so frequently over the years. I remember one season someone pointed out how horribly other teams shoot free throws against Connecticut...it was significantly lower than the national average. That can be the UCONN factor.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I do hope that the turnaround came before TT and Jordy had actually jumped! ;)
Take Samuelson out at this point. No sense in her risking future injury in a game UConn has no chance of winning.

No question that ND is the better team, not only tonight, but at this point in the season. Geno will has a feast to pick on from here on to the Dance. Defensive rebounding, pick and roll responsibilities, pace in the offensive zone, covering the perimeter, TO's, lack of urgency, working harder to get open. The list goes on and on. Good for ND. They came to play without excuses and they gave it to UConn good.

Reaction Score
We’ve seen this so frequently over the years. I remember one season someone pointed out how horribly other teams shoot free throws against Connecticut...it was significantly lower than the national average. That can be the UCONN factor.
According to Kenny Kallina it's because the refs make the opposing team shoot free throws with a beach ball when they play UConn.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

It’s amazing what UConn does to teams. Not even necessarily intimidation.. more like confidence is loss as the game progresses.

It was strange. Marina had her old swagger back today like she hadn't had yet this season.

On the other hand...

Arike was pressing all game long. She needed to slow down and have her body under control. UConn's athleticism maybe got in her head.

Jackie was back to her freshman year timidity.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Exactly my thoughts. Shot selection was atrocious for Notre Dame in the 4th. There was no dribble penetration and they didn’t ferociously go after rebounds like they had all game. No screens or attempts to run a high low or backdoor. They got rattled and started hoisting bad triples. Poor finish after a really strong start.

Against UCONN the margin for error is 0 and there were a few plays earlier on that I thought really hurt Notre Dame. The missed breakaway layup by Thompson or Arike led to a foul and free throws for Samuelson that was a 4 point swing. It would’ve been 64-52 but instead it was 62-54 after. They also gave up that Samuelson 3 at the end of the first half, and most significant was Shepard missed the layup while UCONN made its run and it wouldve slowed the momentum. Notre Dame played a fantastic game, especially considering they were without Turner, but those little slip ups were the difference IMO. If they had a little more cushion, it would’ve been neck and neck down the stretch and it could’ve been a different result.

I do think ND is once again the second best team in the country, and on the bright side for them, this was by far the closest game they’ve had against Connecticut since the Diggins days. Great game and showing for women’s basketball today. Wish ND won but I’m giedsing there will be a rematch in March.
The problem for ND was dribble penetration, going hard for rebounds, cutting hard, timely hard screens, high/low; these take energy and effort, something, to me, ND seemed to run out of in the 4th. The real issue for them during the game though came back to haunt them. Once Z was in the game and Mabrey was forced to put the ball on the floor UConn's length and on ball aggressiveness continued to hurt Ogunbowale and Young. The early pressure and intensity and Muffet's scheduling took the legs from under their two most prolific scorers in the 4th. Meanwhile UConn, which looked the more tired team throughout the game (?) found their resolve, energy, and Z, in the 4th. I said at the half that I was at best confused as to why Z didn't play more minutes, then her fouls hurt her in the 3rd. She then played the majority of the 4th with 4 fouls. This bodes well for her down the line. Also for Gabby who learned effort plus smart ball play will keep you in the game. Gabby was beaten so much by over playing, on screens and by not boxing out that Geno had no choice but to bench her. A good learning experience for the team. Once again Meg (Ms. Lionheart) comes up big in a big game.

Reaction Score
Hey Orangutan, thanks for hanging out in the yard with us today. You keep this up, we're going to make you an honorary UConn fan.
Anyone who spends that much time here is obviously already a latent UConn fan. Just ask ETT. At some point it will enter his consciousness. Then comes the identity crisis.

Like this guy I used to work with who wore a Yankee cap to work. I told him I didn’t know he was a Yankee fan and he said, “No way- I HATE the Yankees. I just think their logo is cool.” Riiiiiiiight!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
We won. I still think that the steel has not been tempered.
I hope it is bad iron and the smith needs more time to tool it.
I would rather not think the alternative.

You do understand that these are college kids, 18-21 years of age (mostly), approaching finals. They are not professionals, much less a machine or piece of metal.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was strange. Marina had her old swagger back today like she hadn't had yet this season.

On the other hand...

Arike was pressing all game long. She needed to slow down and have her body under control. UConn's athleticism maybe got in her head.

Jackie was back to her freshman year timidity.
UConn's length and athleticism really hurt both ND's guards by cutting off their penetration and pressing them on the perimeter. As for missing shots and bunnies they normally make, that was evident on both sides. For ND to be effective their guards needed to penetrate and kick, and that rarely happened this game because UConn wouldn't let them. Once Z was in the game UConn could stop sloughing off the perimeter (and Mabrey) forcing the wings and guards to dribble into length. With your rebounding advantage I'm surprised UConn was even in the game by the 4th.

Reaction Score
Geno right after the game...

Reporter: “What happened?

Geno: “I dunno........ This is the first game in a long time where we had to fight to win. I liked our fight.”

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Way ahead of you....Working on my 3rd glass of Vino.

you-gotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom