Game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Crystal and Kia better be prepared to go 40 minutes against UCLA. Some of the bench passes (+ Gabby) are unfathomable. On the bright side, MW looks pretty good.
Frehman are NOT looking good !!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In that other post where that poster couldn't see MW skills set - I think that she showed a little bit more in this game.

NOBODY is an all-star everyday. Everybody has an off day once in awhile (like today for Gabby and her 10 TO's), especially if you're a freshman, and you don't really know what you're doing yet. :confused: I'll bet right now Gabby won't have more than two Tuesday..................................if that many. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No one in the country can play "lock down" defense like UConn. One significant advantage of starting Z over Lou is that it moves Gabby to the perimeter on defense, where she, Kia and Danger are smothering opposing teams ability to run their offense. It also gets another big rebounder on the court, which clearly made a difference today. Canada & Billings are talented, and UConn's offense still isn't firing on all cylinders, but the UConn defense is playing incredibly well when it matters. I see UConn +20 at Pauley against the Bruins.

You said: "I see UConn +20 at Pauley against the Bruins". Me too. I'll be "seeing it" in person Tuesday. :)

Reaction Score
Please tell me it's not going to be like this all season. If it will be this way, I'll run out and get a Xanax prescription tomorrow.[/QUOTE]I’d call the doc first thing in the morning for that Xanax scrip. I mean, I’m going all the way to LA to see them play Tuesday - Katie Lou or no Katie Lou, the LEAST they could do is win by 40. Or else!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I sure hope Molly doesn't become the subject of a lot picking and scratching on this board. All these kids are likable in my eyes and good players to boot. Some better than others, of course.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
BTW, they didn't win today by 25, or 25 against Stanford. That was just the final score. They were up 35 at the half against Stanford, what, 20 against Cal, and 25 today. These were blowouts of nationally ranked, established programs.

Reaction Score
No one in the country can play "lock down" defense like UConn. One significant advantage of starting Z over Lou is that it moves Gabby to the perimeter on defense, where she, Kia and Danger are smothering opposing teams ability to run their offense. It also gets another big rebounder on the court, which clearly made a difference today. Canada & Billings are talented, and UConn's offense still isn't firing on all cylinders, but the UConn defense is playing incredibly well when it matters. I see UConn +20 at Pauley against the Bruins.

I hope you are right. :)

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
It was nice to see Andi not hesitating to take those 3s, but what really caught my attention was the way she rifled a couple of skip passes. She looked poised and confident out there.

Reaction Score
BTW, they didn't win today by 25, or 25 against Stanford. That was just the final score. They were up 35 at the half against Stanford, what, 20 against Cal, and 25 today. These were blowouts of nationally ranked, established programs.
Yeah I'd gladly give up 10-20 points of the margin of victory to get the new players as much time as possible. Just think when next year rolls around and the bench players all have a season of playing in games against the top teams in the country.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was nice to see Andi not hesitating to take those 3s, but what really caught my attention was the way she rifled a couple of skip passes. She looked poised and confident out there.
I saw that as well. She seemed to be the only Husky on the floor that wasn’t attempting to force passes through defenders arms.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
\

The fourth quarter mostly 3 frosh Molly and A zura--held their own in scoring, blew it with turnovers==but Walker and AEH showed they belonged.
I'm not sure of the quality of MD players in the 4th, but Brenda rarely IMO clears her bench early.
I'm sure after the game in the locker room and on the trip to Calif; Geno shall have words of encouragement for the team and ask them politely to please , if it's with in you, please limit the turnovers and assist.
I think Kaila Charles played 40 minutes. I wanted UConn to recruit her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby right now is clearly the best player on this team. What a joy to watch. Add justine and milford's player- Danger - absolutely amazing instincts for the game. And Az is rounding out nicely.

********* I fear the game vs UCLA without Lou. That's okay to fear. Just sayin' they got the style and they are playing at home to beat UCONN. Their two all-american candidates could be the best two players on the court on that given day. If so, that could be a problem.
Crystal didn't have her shot today, but she had 6 or so assists and could have had 10 with better finishing. She'll have her hands full with Jordin Canada. I hope she holds her own.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Noticed Maryland kept Kaila Charles in the game in garbage time. I know they have a thin bench, but it was noticeable how much she played at the end. She was able to pad her stats but it seemed kind of dangerous to risk an injury to your best player in a game long since decided. But maybe I am just skittish that way after Lou's injury.
I think Brenda wanted to close the scoring gap. She'll spin the smaller scoring margin and "comeback." It may also help the psyche of her young team. That was more of a 35-point game than a 25-point game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Brenda wanted to close the scoring gap. She'll spin the smaller scoring margin and "comeback." It may also help the psyche of her young team. That was more of a 35-point game than a 25-point game.
Exactly. Charles played all 40 minutes and scored the majority of her points after the game was decided.

Reaction Score
Crystal didn't have her shot today, but she had 6 or so assists and could have had 10 with better finishing. She'll have her hands full with Jordin Canada. I hope she holds her own.

Absolutely. I love Danger's game. I marvel at her instincts. She made some "unheralded" but extremely smart passes. She is very smart out there. And yes- I agree - though not sure she is going to be the one that guards Canada. Maybe. I don't know enough of UCLA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I love Danger's game. I marvel at her instincts. She made some "unheralded" but extremely smart passes. She is very smart out there. And yes- I agree - though not sure she is going to be the one that guards Canada. Maybe. I don't know enough of UCLA.
Geno has talked about Crystal's conditioning. We called her "Guns" last year. This year, she is "Cannons." Doing those walking handstands is insane!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom