Game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Reaction Score
I love everything I've seen from AEH on the offensive end of the floor. Defense needs some work but if she can just be ok on D, she would merit being in the rotation in close games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Unofficial Baskets in Paint FInal
Red Turtles (3-2-3-6) 13
UConn (9-6-5-4) 24

Unofficial as there are too many distractions

Reaction Score
Lots of UConn mistakes. Hard to believe UConn is ahead by this much. If MD culd make three-point shots, UConn would be in in a tough game.
If ! - with our defense?? Teams don't stay with us because of the defense and that has always been the case for this team.

Reaction Score
Geno funny in post-game ESPN interview with Landers:

[on the offense] "Last year they all were just trying to help each other because we had just lost 3 All Americans. This year we have 3 All Americans coming back and they all want to score, they're all saying, 'I gotta eat.' And you got the guy with the ball saying, 'You'll eat when I SAY you can eat.'"

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Another B game. Too many turnovers, too many missed lay-ups and too many missed 3's. They will need to bring their A game Tuesday for sure. Andy Landers got on my last nerves with the freshmen talk, because Molly and Kyla are not freshmen.

Reaction Score
Another B game. Too many turnovers, too many missed lay-ups and too many missed 3's. They will need to bring their A game Tuesday for sure. Andy Landers got on my last nerves with the freshmen talk, because Molly and Kyla are not freshmen.
It's scary to me that as ugly as this game was, when the team becomes more polished we will destroy the competition.

Reaction Score
Great win by any stretch but pockets of sloppiness and yes it's early. Game isn't always played at one speed and we may need to introduce the ladies to a bounce pass... Sometimes pulling it back rather than taking it in against a two or three man defense isn't a bad thing and make the defense work by putting the pass on the floor...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Not wanting to make a crack at the expense of our soph's ...two of the nicest, hard working kids around and.....

But they played like Freshman.
Molly had one or two positive moments, Kyla nil...big disappointment.

The freshman, on the other hand, had a growth spurt.
I would not be surprised to see the sophs at the tail end of the bench, come mid-season

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UCLA is, at this point in the season, the only team that looks close to the Husky's. I like the way Geno played the bench the entire 4th.
Yup. I'd pick him over picking Peck.
Sorry, but I'm a big Andy fan. Although when Rebecca is next to him he can get a bit condescending.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Games like this where we play sloppy but very intense I can live with. There was nothing MD did that gave us fundamental problems. We just were careless at times with the ball and missed layups. That stuff will be cleaned up over time. UCLA though will be tough. They are fast and I am not sure how we will handle that speed. Mainly, not sure we can fast break them into oblivion like we do most teams??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great win by any stretch but pockets of sloppiness and yes it's early. Game isn't always played at one speed and we may need to introduce the ladies to a bounce pass... Sometimes pulling it back rather than taking it in against a two or three man defense isn't a bad thing and make the defense work by putting the pass on the floor...
Good point on the need for a bounce pass or two. I can't believe how many times one Husky or another attempted to pass the ball through several MD players with their arms outstretched.

JordyG

Reaction Score
C'mon guys! UConn is up big at the end of the 3rd and Geno sits the regulars. They still win by 25. What do people want? Yeah the offense lacked a little flow. This is to be expected with Z starting and UConn only 3 games into the season. Does everyone expect them to hit 3's at a 60% rate every game? Last I looked these young ladies are still human. I mean, UCLA to me is the #2 team in the nation so far and UConn still looks 25 points better. What do you guys want? I love being a part of the BY, but some here have unrealistic aspirations for this team.

Reaction Score
Games like this where we play sloppy but very intense I can live with. There was nothing MD did that gave us fundamental problems. We just were careless at times with the ball and missed layups. That stuff will be cleaned up over time. UCLA though will be tough. They are fast and I am not sure how we will handle that speed. Mainly, not sure we can fast break them into oblivion like we do most teams??
I think the zone defense gave us trouble. Gabby and NaPheesa were not confident in their outside shot- they passed up a lot of open looks. Dangerfield/Azura were not hitting their outside shots either. Kia was the only player relatively dangerous from deep.

I wonder if UCLA will play zone. I wonder if we should try to out run UCLA or play more of a half court style offense. I haven't seen UCLA play this year so it will be interesting.

Canada will put Dangerfield to the test defensively. I don't think Nurse is quick enough to contain her (I hope that she proves me wrong). Gabby and Azura will have their hands full defending the post.

Reaction Score
C'mon guys! UConn is up big at the end of the 3rd and Geno sits the regulars. They still win by 25. What do people want? Yeah the offense lacked a little flow. This is to be expected with Z starting and UConn only 3 games into the season. Does everyone expect them to hit 3's at a 60% rate every game? Last I looked these young ladies are still human. I mean, UCLA to me is the #2 team in the nation so far and UConn still looks 25 points better. What do you guys want? I love being a part of the BY, but some here have unrealistic aspirations for this team.
+2

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think the zone defense gave us trouble. Gabby and NaPheesa were not confident in their outside shot- they passed up a lot of open looks. Dangerfield/Azura were not hitting their outside shots either. Kia was the only player relatively dangerous from deep.

I wonder if UCLA will play zone. I wonder if we should try to out run UCLA or play more of a half court style offense. I haven't seen UCLA play this year so it will be interesting.

Canada will put Dangerfield to the test defensively. I don't think Nurse is quick enough to contain her (I hope that she proves me wrong). Gabby and Azura will have their hands full defending the post.
IDK. UConn dropped 30 in the first against the zone. UConn is not going to turn over the ball and shoot 3's poorly every game. Things will even out.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
UCLA is, at this point in the season, the only team that looks close to the Husky's. I like the way Geno played the bench the entire 4th.

Sorry, but I'm a big Andy fan. Although when Rebecca is next to him he can get a bit condescending.
Aren't we saying the same thing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom