Game Thread - USA v CZE | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Thread - USA v CZE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mass substitution - Maya, Tina, Dee, Tamika and Sue. It's the UConn folks, plus 1 again!

Reaction Score
Is it me or does CP seem distanced these games, I'm not disparaging her, but she misses some bunnies and I noticed she was the first one off the floor.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does CP seem distanced these games, I'm not disparaging her, but she misses some bunnies and I noticed she was the first one off the floor.
But she was also the one gathering the rest of the team into a huddle courtside.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Everyone has off games. two games ago, she was the star. She will be back

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

didn't notice the distance, and the whole team was missing bunnies today.....

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I liked her hustle today. Lots of rebounds, hustled on defense and she actually dove to the floor in a scrum for the ball.. So she's part of the team in my mind and deserves kudos.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Candace's minutes/the timing thereof have been erratic as well. Can make it hard to get into a consistent rhythm.

Sloppy game. Not a good showcase for WBB, especially juxtaposed with the 40 minutes of unmitigated awesomeness the men produced last night. obviously, the women aren't going to have the physicality and hops the men do, but hitting open shots and finishing at the rim just have to happen. Nothing from this game suggested they're going to be seriously threatened down the stretch of this tournament, but you also want to look good doing the job. Right now, the US is coasting with energy and depth. Everyone plays extremely hard (if not always with precision), and the team goes 11-deep with players who'd be starting for every other country.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wow - all i thought that they had to do was win the gold medal

Who did the men play last night? I forget. Spain?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow - all i thought that they had to do was win the gold medal

Who did the men play last night? I forget. Spain?
No, they don't just have to win the gold; they have to promote and advance the sport given the global forum it has with the Olympics and the relatively weak field of competitors. Anyone inclined to be a detractor of WBB had plenty of additional ammo if they watched tonight's game.

And to poo poo what the men's team did last night because Nigeria isn't Spain is silly. That was one of the greatest exhibitions of basketball you will ever see. They won by 83 points. The women won by 27, but they should have won by 40+. It was a relatively easy win. It wasn't inspiring. When you're billed a dream team, slated to dominate, deserving of more coverage, recognition, and respect than you get, you need to play like it.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Why is this happening? Incredible players...Legendary coach...Any theories?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not at all.
They have two NBA players and a slew of guys who played major college ball. The fact that they're not a top team doesn't mean that they don't have some good talent, or that beating them by 83 wasn't impressive. The 1992 Dream Team played maybe two teams in the entire field with as much talent as Nigeria has last night, and even they didn't eviscerate anyone quite like that.

Speaking of, the fact that Nigeria would have at least made the knockout round in 1992 (and possibly even challenged for a medal) and is one of the lesser teams in this field speaks to the power of inspiration of the sort that occurs when great teams achieve their potential at the olympics. Obviously, the women's team doesn't have the global phenomena the 1992 men's team had, but they still have the power, if not the obligation, to inspire.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They are not a team and were flat out terrible and are so compared to most Euro teams, as well.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Please. I didn't poo poo what they did. The men dominated a much lesser opponant where we were playing someone who is not much a lesser team - which is my point. Plus, There were some nice moments of basketball, and shades of former Husky moments with Tina and Maya etc.

I applaud the womens team, a team that has not had a lot of time together, and I see them improving each game, although to be honest, the swarm mess of the paint in the latter quarter I didn't get. Why they didn't reset the offense was a mystery to me, but maybe Geno wanted to work on their offensive rebounding. I don't know. I don't care.

The announcers stated during the game that every womens team that the USA has sent has been a dream team. Why doesn't the US promote that? They have how many consecutive gold medals? Do the men share that record? No. The women bring it every Olympics.

I don't play basketball. I don't play competitive sports anymore. I cannot walk in their shoes, but I sure as hell can cheer for them and I will. The appreciation of the sport may never equal the men, but to shovel all the responsibility of getting respect for the women's game all on the shoulders of this Olympic team is ludicrous.

Just my humble opinion

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...I didn't poo poo...
Hey, watch the language! :eek: This is a family website!

-My apologies - I completely over-reacted.
-I ... I don’t know… I just find it unbearable get so upset whenever anyone seems to use a bear’s name in vain.
-Somehow I was afraid you were trying to get this past the censors by using a clever alternate spelling of,… well, you know who.
- I'm so sorry.

Reaction Score
Please. I didn't poo poo what they did. The men dominated a much lesser opponant where we were playing someone who is not much a lesser team - which is my point. Plus, There were some nice moments of basketball, and shades of former Husky moments with Tina and Maya etc.

I applaud the womens team, a team that has not had a lot of time together, and I see them improving each game, although to be honest, the swarm mess of the paint in the latter quarter I didn't get. Why they didn't reset the offense was a mystery to me, but maybe Geno wanted to work on their offensive rebounding. I don't know. I don't care.

The announcers stated during the game that every womens team that the USA has sent has been a dream team. Why doesn't the US promote that? They have how many consecutive gold medals? Do the men share that record? No. The women bring it every Olympics.

I don't play basketball. I don't play competitive sports anymore. I cannot walk in their shoes, but I sure as hell can cheer for them and I will. The appreciation of the sport may never equal the men, but to shovel all the responsibility of getting respect for the women's game all on the shoulders of this Olympic team is ludicrous.

Just my humble opinion

I agree. I have been following the coverage of the Olympics at the national and local level (many Olympians from Stanford and Ca)l, and there is very little, if any mention of the women's bball team. The other day my co-workers were chatting at lunch about all the events. I mentioned women's bball is favored to win the gold, then my boss (very smart physician who follows sports), didn't know that women's bball was an event! As odd as that sounds, it's not really surprising given the media only covers gymnastics, swimming, soccer, track & field, and volleyball. So, it doesn't matter how the bball plays, it will only be big news if they lose.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, they don't just have to win the gold; they have to promote and advance the sport given the global forum it has with the Olympics and the relatively weak field of competitors. Anyone inclined to be a detractor of WBB had plenty of additional ammo if they watched tonight's game
Not to belabor this too much (although the NBC announcers do) but the USA team has been together for a dozen games or so while its opponents have been playing together for months on end, in some cases a year or more. There's a reason the team looks better when all of the Lynx players or majority of UConn alum are on the floor together. Their familiarity with each other helps enormously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom