Game Thread: UCONN/Baylor | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Game Thread: UCONN/Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Truth now, isn't this more fun that a 40 point blow-out?

Can I get a vote for Baylor as the number 2 team in the county? Notre Dame, who?

A hear, hear from me. Yes, this is much more fun and interesting to watch. I enjoyed it very much and thought it wasn't called that badly on the refereeing side, nor did I think that Baylor was especially "floppy." Just a good test that the Huskies passed.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The game was made in the first half. You saw tonite what foul trouble can do to UConn. Foul trouble is like kryptonite to Superman. I would have never thought we would have that many starters in foul trouble in the first half and every time we got on a run somebody else was in foul trouble. Foul trouble took away our defense and made Baylors offense look better then their poor shooting at 30%. It also allowed them to stay in the game by making their foul shots, while taking away our defense. Still UConn found a way to win.

Everything that could go wrong went wrong tonite. Foul trouble, poor shooting , both took away from the game and didn't allow UConn to get into their rhythm. Our defense once again pulled it out. Tonite showed me that this team is unbeatable this season . To pull out a double digit win, on the road, having the starters in foul trouble early, shots not falling and we had the poise to keep playing our game and trusting it. Give Geno credit he has one of the best point guards in the country in MoJeff. Mojeff no turnovers with Sims guarding her and she filled the stat sheet.

I saw some posters blaming the refs for calls on UConn that weren't there and no calls on Baylor. I thought they called the game like a junior high school game tonite. We adjusted in the second half because we had to or foul out. I think we will see a different game against RU on Saturday. I think Geno makes the adjustments and we stay out of foul trouble. UConn knows how to play the game and trust their stuff. Breanna put up another double double with an off shooting nite. She is Good Nite to opponents.

I said we would win by 25 and Sims would struggle. I was half right. Give credit to Baylor. They learned a lot tonite and if it carrys over they could be a team to look out for in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Bria got that third, Geno's reaction was hilarious. Usually she laughs him off, but she did look like she wanted to run away.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I have not seen the game yet, but it appears Morgan didn't play. Hope her leg gets better though UConn doesn't play a meaningful game for a month (vs. Lville) Get well, Morgan.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I sure would like to know who committed the foul and who has come in and out.

A HUGE pet peeve of mine. May not be the best example but I watch the Celts a lot... Mike Gorman is a GREAT play-by-play guy... he would never skip over a TBS 3rd foul like it never happened (and by the way, Mike has done some WBB and he is great at that also. Does his homework and knows the game).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Kiah doesn't get more minutes when we need scorers. She plays when Stef and or Breanna get in foul trouble. She also get minutes to give them a rest and when we need rebounding. Defensively she's great offensively she needs to score. When she learns to score she will see a lot more playtime because she is that good. Saniya and BB almost the same thing. They are not at the level Geno expects them to be at this point. They will get minutes to give the starters a rest or if they are in foul trouble. Geno likes them both because they don't make many mistakes but still need to reach the next level.

Two points about this team. They don't make many turnovers, and they don't get into foul trouble. Tonite they played their game and I hate to say it again the refs made calls that weren't there on UConn and allowed Baylor to beat us up underneath. The difference we over came it and found a way to win. Winners find a way to win. That's the difference between UConn and everybody else. Other teams would've lost that game tonite, UConn didn't.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Just read there were 22 fouls called in the 1st half and 8 in the 2nd half. WTF???

Reaction Score
UConn won, but they can't be happy with the way they played. Too many missed opportunities, and why didn't the ball go in low more to Stef and Breanna, especially with the height advantage. Moriah was amazing, Stewie and Bria hit big shots and Kiah made some key plays late in the second half. Still perfect, but not. Lots of work to do. Do the announcers think KML would be in game shape after missing eight games? Yes, it will take time. Yes, she needs to be in better shape. However, I doubt she was doing a lot of running while she was injured.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sims is 3 for 18, how much better can she defend.
I think Hartley gets most of the credit for that as well as the double teams. It just seemed to me that Sims was getting to the rim easier on Jefferson because she wasn't playing the left hand as well as Hartley was.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My point is the calls in the first half changed much of UCONN's ability to be as aggressive as usual.
That's what I stated as well. You happened to post it a few seconds before I did. The officiating was bad for both teams. But the impact was greater on UConn because they were minus Tuck and UConn plays terrific defense. The refs took UConn's defense away when the called those bad calls in the first half. Baylor does not make runs in the second half if the refs were decent.

They somewhat balanced things out when Sims was given the fourth, but that was much later in the game.

This was the worse officiating this season, worse than the Temple game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom