Game thread Stanford - UConn | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Game thread Stanford - UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. Stokes has no business playing the high post because she can't pass, is no threat to take an outside shot, and just holds the ball. She needs to play down in the low post. Period.
That brick she chucked up from right on the arc with like 1:25 left was a real palm to forehead moment. That series where Stewie took a quick shot, and then Stokes did her thing, I knew that was gonna be trouble. Geno had to be livid at those two series. They could have really bled the clock and left it a 2 possession game with maybe a minute left. I thought they were going to pull it out, even after Stewie's miss. Mo has to learn time and situation still. She could have walked that up a little slower and started the offensive set a little slower and more deliberately. Obviously it's easy to second guess since we don't have to make the decisions the players do in real time with split second speed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes. Stokes has no business playing the high post because she can't pass, is no threat to take an outside shot, and just holds the ball. She needs to play down in the low post. Period.

She needs to shoot that short jumper. She's capable of making it. She needs to be a threat to open up space in the lane for Stewart. If Stokes is in the low post period then there's no space for Stewart to operate down there. She and Stewart need to alternate but the double team on Stewart won't be there if Stokes makes herself an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
UOTE="HoopsFan21, post: 1130696, member: 3789"]No one should feel confident about having to go to ND right now. That game is a mere 2-3 weeks away. I think tonight we learned there are better teams than us, at least right now. Good thing KLS is ours and can't change her mind to go join her sisters![/QUOT
Im confident we can go there and get it done why ? Because its the woman's game 2. its the second game of the season 3. Stanford always play us tough and it was just one of them days we just didn't play well and lost by 2 & should of won 4. Were UConn if anyone can turn around quick is Geno
Maybe, but the Irish don't exactly suck. If the #6 team could pull off the victory, I'd say it's very possible the #2 team can do the same. And Tara just handed Muffet the blue print of how to do it, not that Muffet necessarily needs the help.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Seems like I remember Stanford tripping up another defending champion that had gone 40-0 the year before, just a couple of years ago.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tonite we were exposed. We have weaknesses and if the ole saying is you learn from your mistakes then we have a lot to learn. Stanford played really well which didn't help. We have adjustments to make and Geno will make them. I gotta tell you I hate losing, I really hate to lose.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Mojeff played horrible a bit to fast didn't seem to know what she wanted to do
Was very strange- it appeared that she was just not herself?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Get Butler in the game- quick.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno from post-game presser on ESPN just now: "They had a great game plan, which everyone else will have now - put 3 guys on Stewie and let everyone else shoot. And nobody else wanted to shoot, exct Saniya." (Paraphrasing): Guards didn't play well, except Saniya.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno from post-game presser on EN just now: "They had a great game plan, which everyone else will have now - put 3 guys on Stewie and let everyone else shoot. And nobody else wanted to shoot, exct Saniya." (Paraphrasing): Guards didn't play well, except Saniya.

He's more or less right. However, they also kept KML from getting almost any open shots and also trapped Tuck in the paint as well. I was hoping for halftime adjustments to these issues and really didn't see any. Didn't help that Jefferson wasn't getting by her man and to the basket either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They may very well be in all around play, but I'll stand by my prediction that they do not shoot 49% against another Top 10 team for the rest of the year. The fact that they have a new system makes it harder for the teams playing them early. We'll see how it goes for them as the season progresses.
Fair enough.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Disagree. This is young Stanford team learning a new system, and it is being coached by TV. It will be much, much better come March.

And so will defenses that will be able to scout Stanford and defend what they're doing. Tonight was a perfect storm for Stanford in many ways. I don't doubt Stanford will be a threat to make the FF again but this is not a Stanford team that I see as a threat to win a national championship.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Should also be pointed out how much UConn misses Dolson's basketball IQ and help defense on penetration. Once a Stanford player got by a perimeter defender it was all over. There were no defensive rotations, a shocking sight to behold.

Reaction Score
Geno from post-game presser on ESPN just now: "They had a great game plan, which everyone else will have now - put 3 guys on Stewie and let everyone else shoot. And nobody else wanted to shoot, exct Saniya." (Paraphrasing): Guards didn't play well, except Saniya.
The Stewie thing is going to be an issue because the refs, as we've said in other physical games, can't call every thing. I just hope she doesn't get hurt. Reminds me a lot of how everyone played Griner - always in a double or triple team - though Stewie is much more mobile than Griner was.

Reaction Score
Disagree. This is young Stanford team learning a new system, and it is being coached by TV. It will be much, much better come March.

I'm only suggesting that at this early point of the season, burdened with the necessity of learning a brand new system (not the triangle) the Cardinal absolutely DID play as well as they could- at this moment in time. I don't think that's arguable. I think that will be more apparent when they lose a few games in the coming weeks to far lesser opponents than UConn. And yes, I expect both teams to be better come March.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They may very well be in all around play, but I'll stand by my prediction that they do not shoot 49% against another Top 10 team for the rest of the year. The fact that they have a new system makes it harder for the teams playing them early. We'll see how it goes for them as the season progresses.

You make it sound like 49% is a crazy high number that they can never duplicate. It's not. What do you base this assertion on?

Reaction Score

Absolutely true. Stokes and Jefferson weren't even looking at the rim when they were outside.

Reaction Score
You make it sound like 49% is a crazy high number that they can never duplicate. It's not.
It's a crazy high number against UConn. I remember when ND shot 51% in one of those losses a couple years ago, and that was the first time an opponent had cracked 50% in like hundreds of games.

Reaction Score
My takeaway from this game is that Stanford could not play any better and UConn couldn't possibly play any worse- and it was still just a 2 point OT loss. I'm gonna need a good rationalization to get through the night.

Stanford could've hit more than 2/3 of its free throws.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Had the Stanford girl Orange rimed it with 1.3 second to go we would had walked out of there with a win.
There was a critical error made by Moriah when she went for the pass instead of going to Orrange and covering her to at least force her to move instead of the set up 3. I am sure Geno will point out the risk and reward of that situation is one thing early in the game but very different in the end game situation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's a crazy high number against UConn. I remember when ND shot 51% in one of those losses a couple years ago, and that was the first time an opponent had cracked 50% in like hundreds of games.

So, if they did it against UCONN why would they not be able to do it against another top 10 team?

Reaction Score
Stanford could've hit more than 2/3 of its free throws.
That really helped us. If not for that, they would not have needed OT to beat us. Also, I think some Huskies need some FT practice.

Reaction Score
There was a critical error made by Moriah when she went for the pass instead of going to Orrange and covering her to at least force her to move instead of the set up 3. I am sure Geno will point out the risk and reward of that situation is one thing early in the game but very different in the end game situation.
Some of their guys got some great open looks. I mean Kelly Faris against Louisville in the 2013 final kind of open looks where no one was around for 10 feet and you could count one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi before anyone even realized what was happening. That's just begging to get burned.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That really helped us. If not for that, they would not have needed OT to beat us. Also, I think some Huskies need some FT practice.
Of course, we shot about the same from the line. It was basically a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom