Game thread Stanford - UConn | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Game thread Stanford - UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's E="UCweCONN, post: 1130582, member: 619"]KLM's poor conditioning cost us the game. She's the only player I can think of that got in worse shape the longer she's been here. Others like Dolson have come in as out if shape freshman and got in better shape the longer they were here. Imagine how good she'd be if she was in better shape?[/QUOTE]
Thats not why we lost this game can't blame kml because they all was getting beat off the dribble but if you want to blame a play that made a difference was when mojeff double and left orrange wide open for the tie

Reaction Score
Yeah reffing was terrible, as it normally is in WCBB, but of course refs didnt cost us the game..... I was "wow" on Stokes shot....as well...... we did not look fluid tonight..... it looked as if we didnt know exactly what we wanted to do..... which I know is not true...... I never am worried though, because it is so early..... thank goodness we play these games..... and I also am curious to see who will assume the mantle as court leader of this team..... Moriah my guess..... i dont know

Reaction Score
Great game. We lost two AA, played #6 team in the country on their home floor, fouled out two players and lost by two points in OT! Kia Nurse was a huge loss but is going to be soooo good. Relax folks ...

Stanford exposed problems long before Nurse fouled out.

We should have been able to learn about those problems and still win.

I am still in shock at all the things UConn did to end up with the L.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kiah would have been OK if she just made a couple of those chippies. We wouldn't be having this conversation if she had. It's clear that Stef+Bria > Kiah+KML from a senior leadership standpoint. One thing I would have considered is going with 3 guards to counter Stanford on defense.
We couldn't at the end of the game with Nurse fouled out. That was key! Stokes crushes us still on the offensive end. Those touch fouls will ruin the game. They spread us out b cause of threes and cut through our defense and there was no help.

Reaction Score
Problem with that is it makes UConn even smaller and they were already getting killed on the glass. Chong had a great, great game making shots. She really kept UConn in with them. However, she is a liability on defense right now as is KML. That's two out of five in the starting lineup, and that's a problem.
Yeah I think this season is going to be more tuff than some realize. Kiah took a big step backwards tonight. KML looked slow. I don't get that because Geno said she was in much better shape. Maybe she was under the weather. Remember how last February we said the same thing and it turned out she had mono? Mo was average. Saniya huge game. She'll learn defense, but if she plays like she did tonight she's a net positive. Stewie was great and was trying to win this game by herself. If it wasn't obvious before, it is now: WE LOST A LOT in Stef and Bria.

Reaction Score
We couldn't at the end of the game with Nurse fouled out. That was key! Stokes crushes us still on the offensive end. Those touch fouls will ruin the game. They spread us out b cause of threes and cut through our defense and there was no help.
Stewie guarding a non 3 pt shooter when they needed a 3 to tie was not good. Should have been helping on Orrange.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think this season is going to be more tuff than some realize. Kiah took a big step backwards tonight. KML looked slow. I don't get that because Geno said she was in much better shape. Maybe she was under the weather. Remember how last February we said the same thing and it turned out she had mono? Mo was average. Saniya huge game. She'll learn defense, but if she plays like she did tonight she's a net positive. Stewie was great and was trying to win this game by herself. If it wasn't obvious before, it is now: WE LOST A LOT in Stef and Bria.

So instead of 4 All Americans we have 2?

I don't believe Geno ever said KML looked in better shape. If he did that would concern me.

Reaction Score
STEWIE PLAYED GREAT- SHE WAS DOUBLE AND TRIPLE TEAMED, and did her best to win. Stokes played lousy, KML was lousy, Moriah was really lousy, Morgan wasn't much better. Losing Nurse on fouls hurt. But I was most concerned with our lousy defense, I couldn't believe how many easy layups we gave up, all the missed assignments and extra rebounds we gave them- OUR TEAM DEFENSE SUCKED. Moriah had no business coming off Orrange to double the ball and leaving Orrange open for the 3 to send game into OT- wonder if Geno thought of fouling Stanford since we were up 3- let them have two foul shots and the game is over. Not used to seeing a UConn team play so sloppily. Auriemma said defense wins games and offense, if it's good, determines by how many you win. Well, OUR DEFENSE SUCKED. We did not deserve to win- Stanford did. Back to the drawing board. Back to reality. Lots of work to do if the hope for 10 is gonna happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The most disappointing part of the game for me was not that they lost but how they lost. They looked disorganized down the stretch, something I haven't seen in a long time. For those who thought that Hartley and Dolson could be easily replaced, I present exhibit A. Who was in charge down the stretch of regulation and OT ? They didn't even know who should be taking the ball out with 2.6 seconds left in OT !!! I would love to know what the last play was supposed to be. Well, time to start another streak. But there's a lot of work to do first.
Ditto to your whole post. They just looked like they didn't know where to go, who to guard, what to do or how to execute. We are going to really miss Stef and Bria.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Nurse played a lot and did well, but where were the other freshman??

Reaction Score
UCONN wins as a team and loses as a team. It was a team effort in tonights loss. I would rather watch a game like this, then watch a 30 point blowout win. The games are suppose to be difficult. It was entertaining.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stewie guarding a non 3 pt shooter when they needed a 3 to tie was not good. Should have been helping on Orrange.

There were screwups and a lack of adjustments everywhere. How does Stanford shoot 48% and score 88 points with 8 assists against 14 turnovers? Why were 43% of UConn's shots from three?

And I know it looks bad to mention it in a loss, but poor officiating really comes into play in close games.

Reaction Score
Good lost for us. It will wake us up because a lot of teams gotten better with all the talent in WBB so the only way we can stop the talk we about to hear the next week or 2 is going to ND and beating them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nurse played a lot and did well, but where were the other freshman??

Did you think they were going to see the floor in that kind of close game? I'm not being sarcastic. That's an honest question.

Reaction Score
UCONN wins as a team and loses as a team. It was a team effort in tonights loss. I would rather watch a game like this, then watch a 30 point blowout win. The games are suppose to be difficult. It was entertaining.
Not me! I loved the games when Maya was here and the games were pretty much done by the first TV time out. I like watching the crisp, well executed basketball, not this junk from tonight where the whistle blows every 5 seconds. When the whistle's a-blowin', UConn's a-losin'.

Reaction Score
So we lost a game, finally...no big deal, except for the fact that the loss came even more from defensive lapses than offensive mistakes. Very atypical for a Geno team. They'll get better.

Reaction Score
Good lost for us. It will wake us up because a lot of teams gotten better with all the talent in WBB so the only way we can stop the talk we about to hear the next week or 2 is going to ND and beating them.
No one should feel confident about having to go to ND right now. That game is a mere 2-3 weeks away. I think tonight we learned there are better teams than us, at least right now. Good thing KLS is ours and can't change her mind to go join her sisters!

Reaction Score
Um, I think we may have our hands full at ND. Some of the problems outed tonight are going to take a while to fix. It's going to be one of those seasons............

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Great game??? Stanford played pretty well but UConn played awful, making so many bad decisions. I find it hard to believe that Kiah Stokes took a three point shot with plenty of time left on the clock and UConn having a decent lead with less than two minutes left in the game. Breanna Stewart played well but with a few minutes left in regulation and time left on the clock, shot a flat footed three point shot a few feet beyond the arc. Some ridiculous foul calls that weren't anything resembling a foul and were brought up by the broadcast team for how stupid they were. Nurse fouling out and thus allowing the Stanford guards to blow past Chong play after play after play. How is it possible that KML didn't even attempt a shot at the final buzzer??? How is it possible that Chong would drive to the hoop when there was less than three seconds left for a two point basket when you're down by three points???? Unbelievable stuff! Geno is probably going to have a seizure. Actually, maybe this is exactly what he needs to get them to focus and get better. I think it is pretty hard for them to play worse than they did tonight though I concede that Stanford did some nice things and played pretty decent defense with a whole lot of hustle. Chong did some nice things offensively but she did give away a lot of the defensive side of the ball. It's early and it's a learning experience but boy, I'm still stunned about their performance tonight.

You need to give Stanford some credit. They were physical with Stewart and she was tired down the stretch. Samuelson stayed all over KML and prevented her from getting many looks. KML is carrying about 20 extra pounds that seem to limit her mobility and ability to lose her defender. The Stanford guards were very good and beat their defenders over and over.

I was impressed with Chong on offense but she was a liability on defense. And UCONN needed more from Stokes thank 6 points.

Nurse sure is going to be a good one. She plays years beyond her age and it hurt when she fouled out.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes on the offensive end kills us - when she touches the ball, the entire defense slacks off to double Stewie. Stokes wouldn't take 10-12' open looks. Then she rushes a 20' shot only a few secs into the shot clock, late with the lead.
Positives-Chong looks Gd on offense, Nurse is a player. Tuck moving well.
Stupid out of position fouls we committed all game. They called a chg on us late - Nurse? When defenders both feet in/on circle. I thought the refs stunk. Either way- Stanford has 3 talented gds that can penetrate and shoot and very athletic front line players that can rebound and drain threes. Very dangerous combination. They are good.

Reaction Score
First, win or lose, tonight showed us many things we need to work on.......I'm not sure Brea should be stuck under the basket as much as she was. She needs to be much more mobile. Maybe we need Tuck to post up more when she is in there. And that is only the beginning.

So many new players--including Saniya and Stokes, playing in crunch time, need to gain much greater composure. What was Stokes doing taking that shot in regulation with so much time on the clock? And where was our defense on their very good guards.............we looked clueless on several occasions.

That said, why did we not foul in regulation---three points ahead---and under 15 seconds. When the clock ran down to under 5 seconds we could have fouled. In this game, on their court and momentum on their side, I would have fouled.

And in overtime, we fail to get the ball in bounds...........and in the very end we seem to have no plan as to what to do in the final 2.6. Was that on Geno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom