GAME THREAD:Oklahoma | Page 14 | The Boneyard

GAME THREAD:Oklahoma

Reaction Score
Two things. Where's CD's hideous orange jacket? And why is she on the back row in that big old group photo? You know if she hadn't been here every squeaky shoe on hardwood step of the way 1K wins would still be a long way off.
Doesn't look like there was a lot of rhyme or reason as to where people stood and getting a group of that many people to pay attention for a picture is tough.

Reaction Score
TLaw was in the house. Blow it up! Some interesting expressions ...and people.

DRdU1R9WAAA7mp-.jpg:large

1. Will someone please identify Geno's first team players. I can see that they are sitting in front on Geno's right. I will appreciate if their names are attached to their pictures.
2. Some UConn staff is also there. There names too will be appreciated. (I can recognize Culmo, Wolters, Ralph, Lawlor and a few more)
3. Who is the person behind Batouly with her face hidden?
4. And the ponytail holding the balloon looking behind.
5. When Pat, Tara or Hatchell won their 1000 victory, who appeared in the celebratory picture?

Reaction Score
id I just see Lexi yawn on the bench! Hope Geno didn't see it
that reminds me of the time early in Lou's freshman season when the ball swung to the other side and she bent down to pull up her sock. I was sitting with a direct sight line to Geno, who immediately called for someone to go in for her.

Reaction Score
that reminds me of the time early in Lou's freshman season when the ball swung to the other side and she bent down to pull up her sock. I was sitting with a direct sight line to Geno, who immediately called for someone to go in for her.
Geno once said that he watches replays of the games just to watch what the bench is doing.

Reaction Score
In honor of Geno going for 1000 wins, the refs must have decided to enforce traveling violations with the strictness used when Geno was a wee boy. ;)
The refs had a horrible night. Both teams suffered, and maybe UConn more, not because of the number of calls, but because they feed off on momentum which the refs were constantly breaking. Really, really terrible tonight.

Reaction Score
1. Will someone please identify Geno's first team players. I can see that they are sitting in front on Geno's right. I will appreciate if their names are attached to their pictures.
2. Some UConn staff is also there. There names too will be appreciated. (I can recognize Culmo, Wolters, Ralph, Lawlor and a few more)
3. Who is the person behind Batouly with her face hidden?
4. And the ponytail holding the balloon looking behind.
5. When Pat, Tara or Hatchell won their 1000 victory, who appeared in the celebratory picture?
4. Ann Strother

On TV during the celebration I saw @Phil with a large "1000" sign, his head sticking through one of the "0's"

Reaction Score
To me the problem in this game was the constant whistles. It had to be almost impossible to get any rhythm going. Constant distraction. Called tons of ticky-tak/phantom calls but then seemingly missing blatant ones. To my eyes just a horribly officiated game. Both ways.Was there even one series not interrupted?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If you had watched them as many times as I have, you would be very surprised at how well they played. This is another situation where a team gets up for UCONN and plays out of their mind. Don't be surprised if they look bad their next game unless they are finally reaching their potential. They have problems playing well an entire game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TLaw was in the house. Blow it up! Some interesting expressions ...and people.

DRdU1R9WAAA7mp-.jpg:large

upload_2017-12-19_23-43-48.png

"I am so mad that they didn't let me bring my camera!"​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think I know. I've felt this for awhile now. The best player doesn't start and the returning players are having a tough time with her in practice. It's also throwing the chemistry they built last year off. Hate to say it, but Z is far and away our best player. As good as Gabby and Pheesa are, one or both of them know they shouldn't be starting. Probably feels awkward for them. Personally I feel this is why they both have not started out on fire like last year.
Z is obviously good enough to be a starter. Quite a dilemma, because so are Gabby & Pheesa. IMO you have to think really hard before you decide not to start returning All Americans. I think Gabby & Pheesa did all right tonight for players who maybe shouldn't be starting. Gabby led the team in rebounds AND assists (in only 24 minutes), and Pheesa led the team in scoring while also pulling down 9 rebounds. So which one would you sit?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If you had watched them as many times as I have, you would be very surprised at how well they played. This is another situation where a team gets up for UCONN and plays out of their mind. Don't be surprised if they look bad their next game unless they are finally reaching their potential. They have problems playing well an entire game.

Agreed. OU definitely played up to their competition tonight. Let's see if they play this well their next game.

Reaction Score
Z is obviously good enough to be a starter. Quite a dilemma, because so are Gabby & Pheesa. IMO you have to think really hard before you decide not to start returning All Americans. I think Gabby & Pheesa did all right tonight for players who maybe shouldn't be starting. Gabby led the team in rebounds AND assists (in only 24 minutes), and Pheesa led the team in scoring while also pulling down 9 rebounds. So which one would you sit?

I would not sit either one, I believe the coach is doing the right thing. I just think for the players it may be awkward and maybe has shaken their confidence. It will just take some time for them to settle into the way things will be this year. I personally think they will be fine.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Two things. Where's CD's hideous orange jacket? And why is she on the back row in that big old group photo? You know if she hadn't been here every squeaky shoe on hardwood step of the way 1K wins would still be a long way off.
The jacket is for HOF honorees.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The refs had a horrible night. Both teams suffered, and maybe UConn more, not because of the number of calls, but because they feed off on momentum which the refs were constantly breaking. Really, really terrible tonight.
Gotta disagree with you. The game was very physical and the refs kept things from getting out of hand.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno will never sit a senior unless she's injured or is a complete liability to the team.

I disagree on the premise that Z should start over both. She is still learning the defense and often fouls because of it. It would be a disaster to have her stuck on the bench because of fouls in a tight game. Also, she is an instant shot of energy off the bench. The opponent plays hard for 7-10 minutes and starts to fatigue then in comes Z, all 6-6 of her. It would have to be demoralizing.

Reaction Score

I'm glad this was brought up.

Over the decades, how many times has UConn played a team that hasn't had a great season and then we sit and watch and think, 'This is a pretty good team. How did they lose __ games?' Then when you check how they are doing later in the season, they just lost to The Little Sisters of the Poor.

It validates your point that some teams bring their best against UConn, but if I were their coach, I'd be wicked po'd, because they just proved they could play at a particular level and then, not so much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Over the decades, how many times has UConn played a team that hasn't had a great season and then we sit and watch and think, 'This is a pretty good team. How did they lose __ games?' Then when you check how they are doing later in the season, they just lost to The Little Sisters of the Poor.

It validates your point that some teams bring their best against UConn, but if I were their coach, I'd be wicked po'd, because they just proved they could play at a particular level and then, not so much.

Their next game is TX so they may lose even if they play a good game but I think OK will definitely benefit over the long run.

Reaction Score
I would not sit either one, I believe the coach is doing the right thing. I just think for the players it may be awkward and maybe has shaken their confidence. It will just take some time for them to settle into the way things will be this year. I personally think they will be fine.
This game was a perfect example why with Z UConn can play several different styles. When their lead was cut to 7, Geno sat Crystal and whet with a big lineup and pounded ball down low. Next thing you knew, lead up over 20. One system does not fit all games-who cares who is in as long as we go all the way.

Reaction Score
A very uneven performance. Oklahoma came to play. They deserve a lot of credit. As has been said many times, UConn gets everyone's best shot. Credit the team for rising to the occasion with another win. I laughed when the announcers said Oklahoma was tired. UConn makes everyone look tired. Gabby didn't shoot well; however, 10 rebounds and 8 assists is a great night's work in her limited minutes. Katie Lou was the epitome of an uneven night. Great moments mixed with not so great moments. On to Toronto and Duquesne.

Reaction Score

Intpseeker- - -I agree! This is what separates UCONN from everyone else! A lot of teams pick and chose which games "they'll show up for" and which games they'll cake by! The coaching staff makes darn sure the players "show up" for every game!

Reaction Score
I had to rewrite this as my 1st attempt was taken down.

I have to say this, I wish there was a law that if UCON WBB fans make comments during the games they should be sentenced to 20 years in Leavenworth!
God people wait till the game is over then comment! negative chatter about players and coaches then UCONN wins by 20+ points!
I got back from the game around 10pm, showered and sat down to look at the BONEYARD, first mistake! I started at page 1 through all 14 pages of hate, discontent, disbelief, and overall I thought I was reading about an 8th grade game!
How did Geno & CD win 1,000 games! They really are miracle workers to have even won 1 game with the players that have gone through the program, especially this years players!
BE FANS NOT CRITICS! Give the players and coaches a break, PLEASE!
They don't try to screw up to upset you, they are human and make mistakes or get tired or are sick/injured, and stuff happens!
Enough PLEASE!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I feel 'ya Vikes, but the purpose of the game thread is to replicate, to an extent, the kinds of discussions that take place among the fans who actually are attending the game. Or, it substitutes for that chatter that goes down when we watch our favorite team with our friends in the living room. Insisting that we should not form opinions until the game is over just isn't realistic.

Sometimes, people lose their self-control and yell absurd things at their TV (I plead guilty). And people sometimes lose their self-control and post absurd things in the game thread. "Fan" is still a morph of "fanatic."

But I strongly dislike some of the ill-conceived venom directed at our team as much as you do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom