Game thread: BE Final [merged] | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Game thread: BE Final [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Kait: Don't frustrate yourself battling the trolls. They are frequently in charge of the board for a while after these types of games :cool:

I have never been so positive after losses as I am on here. I guess it's good for me. Because while I'm trying to defend the team, I'm sitting behind my computer going off lol

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Well, it'd be nice if logic ruled in the seedings. But strange things come of the committee room.
There's no way they pit #1 and #2 against each other in a semifinal. Zero chance

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I did not say anything like that. Firstly not every coach has Geno's credentials. Second, answer the question and stop with the strawman; what adjustments did you see?

Well she was face-guarded for one. Using your logic to pose questions in reference to the same exact thing isn't strawman, it's showing you how ridiculous your logic is. What adjustments did Pat Summitt make in guarding Diana?

Reaction Score
Kait: Don't frustrate yourself battling the trolls. They are frequently in charge of the board for a while after these types of games :cool:
Blueballer = thank you for calling me a troll, I really appreciate it! Glad to have people like you on board.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Blueballer = thank you for calling me a troll, I really appreciate it! Glad to have people like you on board.

I really don't think they were referring to you. You are far from a troll

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You honestly think, with 18 seconds and no shot clock, that that was even an option? A lob pass for a layup? Which would leave 16 seconds? I can't see, in my 20 years of watching UConn basketball, Geno EVER calling that play

I didn't say whether it was a surprising play to call (if it was called), or if it should have been called.

All I was saying is that it looked like it was part of a designed play when I saw it in real time.

And btw, with the way our 1-3 players were (not) handling the pressure for good part of the evening, if we can get the ball to Stewie 2 feet from the basket and be up 2 even with time left, it might be better odds than trying to hold the ball and work it in from the outside or get a clean jumper, or get the ball stolen.

I will try to watch it again, and/or listen for Geno's comments.

Reaction Score
So who are your #1 and your #2? Are they not Baylor and ND? And who said they'd meet in a semi? I suggested that the committee might put UConn in Baylor's half, even if to avoid a 4th ND-UConn semi-final meeting. Or are you suggesting that UConn will be the #2 overall seed? Zero chance.

UCONN should be the three seed...they can't be the 1 or 2 seed...and I doubt the committee would make them the 4, but we'll see...if I'm the network, I'm happy as a clam to get another game like tonight. These games are so tough, that you'll notice ND has never been able to win the next game...it's no blessing for them or us...but for WCBB...it's drama, baby!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't say whether it was a surprising play to call (if it was called), or if it should have been called.

All I was saying is that it looked like it was part of a designed play when I saw it in real time.

And btw, with the way our 1-3 players were (not) handling the pressure for good part of the evening, if we can get the ball to Stewie 2 feet from the basket and be up 2 even with time left, it might be better odds than trying to hold the ball and work it in from the outside or get a clean jumper, or get the ball stolen.

CD said on her post-game show that the play was designed to go to Stewie. They've worked on this play and thought they had a mis-match. CD said she thought Stewie could have shot the ball. CD didn't say this, but I suspect that the play was called because ND put so much pressure on UConn's guards that they probably thought it was a better option.

BTW, CD and Geno said that they fouled Diggins 3 times down the court (with a foul to give) but they weren't called.

Reaction Score
There's no way we're worse than Stanford. Our head to head meeting, we embarrassed them on their home floor
I wouldn't be so sure UConn won't be the 4th #1 seed. Although they beat Stanford, they have 2 more losses than Stanford and those losses are much more recent. Stanford also is the only team to beat Baylor in the past two years (albeit without Sims), I think it will be a difficult decision for the committee.

Reaction Score
If Stewart is cutting there and Faris is throwing it there, then two people were running the same play. You can argue it wasn't the first option, but the safety valve (Bria) was clearly open -- and our point guard, so I have a hard time seeing that Stewart wasn't option #1. Unless Faris just thought it would work or thought she was open and made the decision to ignore Bria on her own.

Here's the thing, though - if you are truly holding for one, that cut/play is never an option. Not the second, third, or fourth. That cut and pass was designed for an instant score and nothing else. If you are holding for one, it is either in to Bria on that first pass, in to a big flashing to the ball, or perhaps Stewart flaring out to the opposite three-point line for a pass over the top (only if it is wide open). If none of things are there, then it's a timeout.

If two players are running the same play, and Geno did not call that play, then he has a communication problem in important timeouts.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I did not say anything like that. Firstly not every coach has Geno's credentials. Second, answer the question and stop with the strawman; what adjustments did you see?

I saw a few adjustments by Geno. Moriah, no Caroline, Kml on mcbride. I have never been a fan of genes high offense, but he has 7 nc's. the adjustments resulted in no change. I'd like to see a 3 2 zone against nd and more low post presence, but what do I know.

Caroline should have played. He is on her too much.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
No, if you knew anything about basketball, you would have been able to see that that pass was a result of the inbounder thinking the play broke down. Someone was wide open right in front of the inbounder and she decided to throw a lob pass. But thanks for showing your true lack of knowledge

CD in post-game: the play call was a lob for Stewie. Thought they could exploit a mismatch.

Looks like tempers are a little warm all around.

Reaction Score
CD said on her post-game show that the play was designed to go to Stewie. They've worked on this play and thought they had a mis-match. CD said she thought Stewie could have shot the ball. CD didn't say this, but I suspect that the play was called because ND put so much pressure on UConn's guards that they probably thought it was a better option.

BTW, CD and Geno said that they fouled Diggins 3 times down the court (with a foul to give) but they weren't called.

No big surprise...

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

I love our team, but there isn't one player that's cold blooded. We really need that. Someone who takes the ball and says, don't even worry because I got this. Someone needs to step up and start acting like that. That's the only difference between us and Notre Dame

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Cheddie: I'm sorry. Don't take it that way. Just trying to address the general negativity around the board tonight. Posters who have a positive outlook 99% of the time are allowed to vent. I was more thinking of the posters who (If you look at their history of messages) never have a good word to say about our girls or coaching staff. I didn't even refer to who or what Kait was responding to, just her comment alone.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
No big surprise...
I saw a few adjustments by Geno. Moriah, no Caroline, Kml on mcbride. I have never been a fan of genes high offense, but he has 7 nc's. the adjustments resulted in no change. I'd like to see a 3 2 zone against nd and more low post presence, but what do I know.

Caroline should have played. He is on her too much.

I think they did run a 1-3-1 briefly in the first half, which is similar, but I would have to watch replay. Thought we had a player running baseline

Reaction Score
I love our team, but there isn't one player that's cold blooded. We really need that. Someone who takes the ball and says, don't even worry because I got this. Someone needs to step up and start acting like that. That's the only difference between us and Notre Dame

My money is on Kaleena...

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
CD in post-game: the play call was a lob for Stewie. Thought they could exploit a mismatch.

Looks like tempers are a little warm all around.

Guess I'm gone, and pretty disgusted that that was the play call

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I completely agree - it keeps coming down to big plays, and big playmakers are needed. Usually on the perimeter

Reaction Score
Per CD's post game it was the called play.
There isn't a men's basketball coach that would have called that play with 17 seconds left. There's absolutely nothing to gain even if you score. You're giving the other team a chance to tie or win. The worst possible outcome should have been 1 shot to win and if you miss go to OT.

Reaction Score
She is but here is the crazy thing: every game I saw McBride on TV againsy any other team, she was ok...a good solid player but nothing outstanding. However, when she playes against UConn she is All World...I don"t get it
They rise to the occasion when they play us. That is the only way to beat a team like Uconn. You have to contest every dribble, every pass, every shot. You can't let them breathe even for a minute. You have to almost sell your soul to win. And even with that, you also need luck. Uconn is a very good team. It just wasn't to be. Hats off to ND. As a Uconn fan, some of the most painful losses I can remember. As a basketball fan, some of the most entertaining basketball I have ever seen, men or women.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

Thought Hartley was that player in her freshman year, but she seems to have shied away from taking the big shot this year. Still not the end of the season - maybe someone will step up and become a new UCONN legend

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

I am utterly speechless

Reaction Score
Well she was face-guarded for one. Using your logic to pose questions in reference to the same exact thing isn't strawman, it's showing you how ridiculous your logic is. What adjustments did Pat Summitt make in guarding Diana?

Ok, you are right. I see your point. Let's all get together and support this team, coach and players. We will only be better next time and there were a number of bright spots in the game, like the smile from Stewart and the tenacious steal by Bria. I am with you, let's go after the Big One.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom