Game Day! | The Boneyard

Game Day!

Reaction Score
So let's draw a line on the schedule after the N.C. State game and "start" the rest of the season tonight as I believe the coaching staff and team has done already. This team has to find themselves in a hurry now but more intensity, effort and a sense of urgency will go a long way to getting there. Whether or not there are changes to the starting lineup or rotation, it's time for Paige to take ownership of the team in every way and to make it hers and to turn the ship around.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I am so nervous about this game. I know we are the better team, and if we won the NCST game I wouldn't be nervous. I hate to doubt our team, but too many things went wrong. I still think we should open the first or second half with the press. Well, good luck to us, and may the best team win. BTW, Phil and Ryan will be at the game to see them play live for the first time. The whole WBB world will be watching to see how we react to our loss, and the results may set the tone for the rest of the year. If we are the best, we have to prove it. I have faith.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me just backup with one statement. NC State played Elon and Rivers scored 7 pts on 1/5 shooting and Brooks scored 7 pts 3/7 shooting. There should be not fear for tonites game however proceed with caution.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure we will win this game handily. I know we’re not supposed to be overconfident but our talent level didn’t suddenly disappear with the NC State loss. However, even if we win this game easily, it will not assuage (for me) some of the concerns that were highlighted with the loss on Sunday. What this team needs is a hard fought win against a physical, aggressive team with a hot star, basically another NC State game! (I realize they were unranked but that is irrelevant, as I doubt we will see many better performances this season even with the schedule we are facing)

Now, I believe our schedule is going to provide this several times in the near future, culminating with the ultimate example, South Carolina. I think the schedule Geno has put together this season is exactly what this team needs. By the time we go to SC, all the questions and doubts raised by Sunday night’s debacle will have been conclusively answered. (Let’s hope in a positive way) Hopefully, tonight’s game will be a first step toward regaining our moxie!

I think we have plenty of talent, I think the hysteria I’ve been seeing about our lack of height is waaay overblown, but I am concerned about the mental and physical toughness that was so lacking on Sunday evening! That, imo, is the key to having any kind of chance at raising that 12th banner next year! I’m hoping for an effort similar to when we played SC last season! (But with a different outcome!:rolleyes:) Go Huskies!❤️

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Maryland game and the rest of November will tell the BONEYARD quite a bit!
Remember though, early season games are just snap shots capturing a moment in time. They don't define our season. NC State revealed, or perhaps just highlighted, some weaknesses. The team has the opportunity to adjust. Tonight's game will show us the results of the early efforts to do so. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to see how the team comes out and what Geno did to make them play at a higher level. MD traditionally doesnt play defense and UConn does. I expect MD to be forced to take some tuff shots while being guarded closely. Edwards should have a big game tonite. Everybody else should be able to get good looks. UConn is at home which should help

Reaction Score
I think the hysteria I’ve been seeing about our lack of height is waaay overblown, but I am concerned about the mental and physical toughness that was so lacking on Sunday evening!
UConn is at home which should help
Excellent points guys. We really need a home game precisely to make it easier for everyone to recover the confidence they showed last season when they fought like Tasmanian devils even with a depleted roster. Think the Tennessee and SC games — I want to see that spirit of mental toughness again.

Reaction Score
Game Day indeed!! Like @Tonyc, I am looking forward to seeing how the team comes out as well. For me, it might a slightly different look. I am looking to see who comes out loose and free flowing vs who comes out tight and fearful, that will tell me a lot about the rest of the season. If the players are loose and free flowing, I know that they, and the coaching stuff, is not in their head. Just are just going with whatever happens just happens. If they are tight, passing up looks, and settling for the pullup jumper, I know they are in their heads and the coaching stuff got to them and they are shook.

Maryland is the perfect team to play against because it really becomes an open gym type of game. Just comes down to who is making their shots and doing the little things here and there that will determine the outcome. If the team comes out, loose, and handling all of the little details, like Nika mentioned in the presser, we will handle business.

Let's go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
Geno needs to make some tough decisions and some will be against his better judgement. This team has some great shooters but not necessarily great three point shooters. They have great defenders but last game they didn't play good team defense which is really unusual for Geno's teams.

UConn needs to run the offense through Paige and quit forcing so many three point shots. I expect them to bounce back tonight with a good win. Hopefully the words being spoken by the players will show up on the court tonight.

Reactions: Nev
Reaction Score
And let’s not pin all our hopes on Qadence. She played well Sunday. But the pressure to repeat that performance may be too much for a freshman.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno needs to make some tough decisions and some will be against his better judgement. This team has some great shooters but not necessarily great three point shooters. They have great defenders but last game they didn't play good team defense which is really unusual for Geno's teams.

UConn needs to run the offense through Paige and quit forcing so many three point shots. I expect them to bounce back tonight with a good win. Hopefully the words being spoken by the players will show up on the court tonight.
I don't think that Azzi and Paige were selected for their 2024 preseason awards primarily due to their potential in scoring 2s and their defense.
Go back and read some threads and posts from the Preseason and I think that you will find that many people, and Geno, believe that we do have some great three point shooters. But, time will tell if you are right or the others are right.
One final thought...99.9% of WBB fans believe that Caitlin Clark is a great three point shooter yet last week when she scored 44 points, I believe that she was 5 of 16 from beyond the arc...not really "great"...

Reaction Score
Tonight is about one thing and one thing only in my mind- team defense. You will know right away about the defense by looking at the switches, the aggressiveness and the box outs. As for the offense, look for Paige to get involved immediately as a passer and scorer. Let's all not forget that this is a major revenge game after last year.

Reaction Score
I am so nervous about this game. I know we are the better team, and if we won the NCST game I wouldn't be nervous. I hate to doubt our team, but too many things went wrong. I still think we should open the first or second half with the press. Well, good luck to us, and may the best team win. BTW, Phil and Ryan will be at the game to see them play live for the first time. The whole WBB world will be watching to see how we react to our loss, and the results may set the tone for the rest of the year. If we are the best, we have to prove it. I have faith.
I would like to say relax. If you recall last season, every game came with the caveat of who will be available or healthy to play. We are only 3 games in, but there is one key difference. Yes, UConn lost Lou & Dorka, however, we have a healthy, seasoned Paige, active and only to get better as the season progresses.

Many have made "the sky is falling" posts after the NC St game, but I caution everyone that season isn't won or lost in November. Are there concerns? Yes, but if we see them, Geno & the staff do too. For me, the lack of size and rebounding issues are balanced by having the best player in the country available.

I believe the NC St was a wake-up call. Let's remember the preseason hype that UConn will be playing LSU in the 2024 championship game. Could it be that the players let some of it take up residence between their ears?

I expect UConn to come out and play with some fire. I look for Azzi to righten herself out and the upperclassmen to redeem themselves after NC St. This will be game 3 of Paige's return and I am happy to see that she looks physically ready for the rest of the season. Now, she needs to take the leadership mantle and lead/play by example. If she does, UConn will right there in the mix at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
think how much better we'd feel if the NC State game was before the Dayton game and we came back from the loss with over 100 points and a big win. One game does not a season make. We are the same team who put that big pasting on Dayton so heads up and have some faith.

Reaction Score
Thinking about that Dayton game, what sticks in my mind is a rebound Ashlynn skyed for in the second half. She went high to get it and at first I thought it must be Paige or even Aubrey. But it was little 5’10” Ashlynn getting up in the air to snag a rebound. She’s a leaper just by force of will and athleticism. I hope to see more of her doing that today.

Reaction Score
I don't knoiw...?? Been following the girls with TonyC since the early 90ies, an this group leaves me speechless...
Now Maryland played SC head to head till they ran out of gas....so I see 5 points either way this evening...
The kids have got to come out and play their game, the play that got them into Uconn, and quit wondering ..Is this what Paige wanr ts me to do, and then lose their focus......UG!

Reaction Score
Thinking about that Dayton game, what sticks in my mind is a rebound Ashlynn skyed for in the second half. She went high to get it and at first I thought it must be Paige or even Aubrey. But it was little 5’10” Ashlynn getting up in the air to snag a rebound. She’s a leaper just by force of will and athleticism. I hope to see more of her doing that today.
I noticed that rebound as well and totally agree. She is really strong for a 5'10" guard. I was mystified why she got 0 minutes in the NC St. game. Geno has to play her against Maryland for her defense. Also I would like to say that the main problem with the offense against NC St wasn't missed shots but rather that everyone stood around waiting for Paige to save the day. And here we are all expecting Paige to save the day again today. UConn has to become a team if they are to do anything positive this year.

Reaction Score
1000006560.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom