Game day thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Game day thread

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This will be a work in progress until the conference season. What your looking for are improvements game to game. That said, the criticism I would have for Ollie right now is not prioritizing defense. When a guy continually loses his man, gets beat off the dribble, misplays the PnR, or sags so far off that he’s conceding open 3’s you’ve got to sit his butt down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some of the worst outside shooting I've ever seen. But enough bright spots and Jalen at the end to get the win. Player of the game though was Anderson. The energy and the smarts and hustle on D kept everybody in the game. They can at least say to themselves if we shoot half decent this game isn't close. On the other hand they have to prove they can. A loss would have been brutal tonight.

Reaction Score
Who exactly on this roster was he supposed to develop? He has seven brand new players (to the team), 3 medical redshirts who hardly played last year and Adams and Vital. This was ugly basketball. Take the W and smile, we're going to need every single one.
Only this board expects an undefeated season every year. I too would have been crushed but not even saint James Calhoun had to deal with this turnover of personnel. We are going to lose games people. And badly. And against bad teams. We are not a senior laden team that can shoot out the gates. We all knew coming in this is a baptism by fire and the results and true measure of this team will be in 2018 heading into the tournament. Our best player is still a developing junior. Jalen isn’t a leader?!? Sound familiar? I bet some of you high horse riders forgot the same label attributed to the most successful husky ever. You “true fans” did hear of Shabazz Napier. Remember the guy with the crap attitude? Oh yeah he also ended up staying for that terrible coach that won a title with what people call Calhoun’s guys. Funny cause I recall bazz off the bench and a little bit of Niels and Tyler. A little boat and no Daniels kromah Samuel Phil amida. Pull it together. It’s ten toes guys not nine!!!! Fair f$&@“i:gweather fans.

Reaction Score
All I know is we have to step up our complain game bigly.

For reference, head over to the Women's board and read some of those doomsday threads after their 25pt squeaker win vs Stanford the other day.

Reaction Score
If that gets in to Jalen’s head, that everything goes through him and that it’s always on him to take over and win games, we won’t be caring about him beating Stony Brook for us later this season; will cause several mind-numbing losses with his decision-making

Right. We’re better off with Vital chucking 10 threes a game . . .

Reaction Score
All this is nonsense. I am reserving judgement for post p k. I'm ascared as they say in West Virginia.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wait.... there are warning points?

Oh yeah. Click on your name up top , click on profile and click on warning tab. Like this:

tCDsPRO.png

Reaction Score
I am a one game at a time guy this year. Not looking ahead, for now only looking forward to Sunday's game. At this point in time, my hope/expectations are that we compete in every game. My expectations will develop as the season develops. We are what we are. We won the 1st 2 games which we didn't do last year. I want to get the next one & then head to the west coast

Reaction Score
Who exactly on this roster was he supposed to develop? He has seven brand new players (to the team), 3 medical redshirts who hardly played last year and Adams and Vital. This was ugly basketball. Take the W and smile, we're going to need every single one.

Who has Ollie developed with any significance over the past few years? Why does the team always look like they have no idea what to do on offense? Why should I be happy about needing a late run to clip a team like Stony Brook at home? Why are you so willing to accept such mediocrity and seeing the same issues year after year?

I'm not saying that Ollie is a horrible person, I'm saying he's not a good coach. You can blame the players or the circumstances all you want, I just know I've watched the same sloppy, lackadaisical, offensively stagnant type of play for the last 3+ years, and I've yet to see any sign that things are going to change. Is it alright with you if I say that I don't like what I've seen over the last few years?

Reaction Score
Who has Ollie developed with any significance over the past few years? Why does the team always look like they have no idea what to do on offense? Why should I be happy about needing a late run to clip a team like Stony Brook at home? Why are you so willing to accept such mediocrity and seeing the same issues year after year?

I'm not saying that Ollie is a horrible person, I'm saying he's not a good coach. You can blame the players or the circumstances all you want, I just know I've watched the same sloppy, lackadaisical, offensively stagnant type of play for the last 3+ years, and I've yet to see any sign that things are going to change. Is it alright with you if I say that I don't like what I've seen over the last few years?
I was commenting on these players who other than Adams and Vital he could not really have had an opportunity to develop. The idea of coaches developing players is a bunch of hooey anyway. Players have ability or they don't. Players get better by playing with and against other good players other than just their natural ability showing anyway. Coaches can teach some fundamentals, can try to eliminate some bad habits but that is about it. Do you think Drummond is a good NBA player because of Calhoun? Or Ray, or Rip, or Donyell, or Rudy, or Caron, or Gordon, or Okafor? Or do you think perhaps they had great physical and basketball abilities to begin with? Coaches can maybe keep their head screwed on straight. Teach some discipline. Great coaches have had for the most part great players. Look at recent teams who have won the championship. With some notable exceptions they all have great physically talented players. Kentucky and Duke have the most talented young players in the country most years. Do they win the championship every year? Are they developing players or is the natural abilities of their recruits winning games for them? Is Calipari developing players in their one year? What coaches can do is play to the strengths of their team's abilities which you could cite as a criticism of Ollie. It would be subjective, but you could say it. But, did he play to his team's strengths when he beat Villanova, Florida, Michigan State and Kentucky on the way to the championship in 2014? Did he win against four great coaches because he had great ability on his team or coaching? Again subjective.

Reaction Score
I was commenting on these players who other than Adams and Vital he could not really have had an opportunity to develop. The idea of coaches developing players is a bunch of hooey anyway. Players have ability or they don't. Players get better by playing with and against other good players other than just their natural ability showing anyway. Coaches can teach some fundamentals, can try to eliminate some bad habits but that is about it. Do you think Drummond is a good NBA player because of Calhoun? Or Ray, or Rip, or Donyell, or Rudy, or Caron, or Gordon, or Okafor? Or do you think perhaps they had great physical and basketball abilities to begin with? Coaches can maybe keep their head screwed on straight. Teach some discipline. Great coaches have had for the most part great players. Look at recent teams who have won the championship. With some notable exceptions they all have great physically talented players. Kentucky and Duke have the most talented young players in the country most years. Do they win the championship every year? Are they developing players or is the natural abilities of their recruits winning games for them? Is Calipari developing players in their one year? What coaches can do is play to the strengths of their team's abilities which you could cite as a criticism of Ollie. It would be subjective, but you could say it. But, did he play to his team's strengths when he beat Villanova, Florida, Michigan State and Kentucky on the way to the championship in 2014? Did he win against four great coaches because he had great ability on his team or coaching? Again subjective.

Gave up reading halfway through because giant wall of text. Aside from Drummond I definitely think Calhoun played a big role in developing every other player you listed, both on and off the court.

Gilbert and Larrier have both been with the program for over a year, that's enough time to get to know their teammates and run practices, be taught some X's and O's, and be able to develop chemistry. But again I don't really lay the blame here on the players because it's Ollie's job to devise an offensive scheme and style of play, both of which KO does a poor job with.

If you feel the need to respond please try to space out your next post a bit so it reads better, and please keep in mind that my main issue is with Ollie, not the players.

Reaction Score
Gave up reading halfway through because giant wall of text. Aside from Drummond I definitely think Calhoun played a big role in developing every other player you listed, both on and off the court.

Gilbert and Larrier have both been with the program for over a year, that's enough time to get to know their teammates and run practices, be taught some X's and O's, and be able to develop chemistry. But again I don't really lay the blame here on the players because it's Ollie's job to devise an offensive scheme and style of play, both of which KO does a poor job with.

If you feel the need to respond please try to space out your next post a bit so it reads better, and please keep in mind that my main issue is with Ollie, not the players.
I'll try
to
improve
my
use
of
the
space bar
to
make
it
easier
for
you
to
read.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
I'll try
to
improve
my
use
of
the
space bar
to
make
it
easier
for
you
to
read.
Thank you.

Yeah, just anything that doesn't result in a giant brick of text addressed to me where you ramble about something completely different than what I was talking about in my previous post.

Thanks!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
She’s eating Arby’s in celebration of a 17-0 closing run. You should try it.

I went today. Tried the fried turkey club along with a pork belly sandwich, curly fries and a cherry turnover. It was heavenly.

Reaction Score
Yeah, just anything that doesn't result in a giant brick of text addressed to me where you ramble about something completely different than what I was talking about in my previous post.

Thanks!
By different do
you mean commenting on my
structure of my posts

I'll try to improve
my use of the space bar to
make it easier for

You to read them so
that it is not a burden
for you so thank you

Reaction Score
Hey, they could have folded, so props there. I don't think KO is an execution focused, small details oriented coach. So many sloppy plays, no discipline, inconsistent effort.

There was an article in the preseason arguing Ollie focuses more on the details than Calhoun ever did.

Now does that translate to execution? We're still waiting to see.

Reaction Score
By different do
you mean commenting on my
structure of my posts

I'll try to improve
my use of the space bar to
make it easier for

You to read them so
that it is not a burden
for you so thank you

You didn't have to parrot me again champ. Just try to keep your next wall of text on topic and relevant to what I said, k?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom